DOA5U Needs to Return to the DOA++/DOA2/DOA3 Style Stun System

DOA5U Needs to Return to the DOA++/DOA2/DOA3 Style Stun System

• Total voters

RoboJoe

There's still time to make this game so much better.

No there isn't. The game comes out in just over 3 months. They're not going to rebalance the entire game, an overhaul of system and characters both, at this point in time. This would be better to do at doa6's announcement.

synce

I think most people would prefer the old system but it's not gonna happen... Sept 5 is just a street date, game should be gold July/August

synce

IDK.. also in case anyone forgot we still don't know what super launchers are. They may allow you to bypass stun system

Keylay

It wouldn't take that much effort to make it happen. All they have to do is lower the critical stun threshold. I remember when Shimbori said that they increased the stun threshold to make it more fair. I believe they did that after the E3 demo after seeing Rikuto only needing one guess to get a guaranteed critical burst combo. But he obviously couldn't abuse it all the time because it would be countered if he went for that mid kick every time.

The way I look at it is the longer the critical stun threshold, the more guessing for both players. I know people complain about holds in critical stun but it sucks just as much for the defender because they are put in a situation where they have to guess as well. Imagine if the critical stun threshold was two or three times bigger. I don't think anyone would care for that. That's why the shorter the critical the stun threshold, the better.

I'm kind of hoping that they include EX versions of characters or something that have a stun threshold similar to previous DOAs but lose the critical burst option to balance it out.

Matt Ponton

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Standard Donor
What was so good about the previous stun system, professor ? :eek:

For those that might be curious. DOA2 and DOA3's stun threshold system was completely different from DOA4/5. I mean, more than I realized.

1) In DOA5, when you put someone in stun, that stunning attack is not included in the threshold bar. It only initiates the threshold. That means once they're in stun, all attacks following will start counting towards threshold. This is not the case at all in DOA2/DOA3. In DOA2/3 the stunning attack COUNTED towards threshold max meaning the game didn't play as long in the stun game, it of course was played even less when you had normal and stun hit launching attacks.

2) In DOA5, the level of the threshold is determined by the hit property level of the stunning attack (NB/CB/HCB) where NB = 28 points of life allowed until threshold max; CB = 35 points; HCB = 42 points. In DOA2/3, NB = 40 points; CB = 40 points; HCB = 60 points. So CB stun combos had the same max threshold as NB stun combos, but you were getting 10% more damage per CB attack in stun. That means you also were getting shorter in-stun combos for counterhitting an opponent who was attacking.

synce

You know DOA5 ver1.02 actually had a character that could play like DOA3... All it took was one hit and you were going for a ride if you guessed wrong. Everyone whined about her for exactly that reason, including certain members on this site.

Reactions: d3v

Raansu

You know DOA5 ver1.02 actually had a character that could play like DOA3... All it took was one hit and you were going for a ride if you guessed wrong. Everyone whined about her for exactly that reason, including certain members on this site.

Has nothing to do with that.

Tones

Premium Donor
This is DOA5; so what. Other than nostalgia, who cares if the combos/juggles from DOA 2 3 or 4 work or not.

I'm interested though about what Mr Wah stated... What are the draw backs from initiation attack not build threshold?

Tones

Premium Donor
Less for work a larger stun. Think critical bursts, and more need to sooner counter/stugger. Slightly larger pay off for less risk from the attacker. Less pay off for for the attacker if the combo is dropped or the defender counters/stuggers out of it.

Ghosty-J

If they aren't going to touch the threshold, then it makes me wonder if they'll do anything about holding out of deep stuns. I was thinking of a system that eliminates countering out of stuns entirely in favor of slow escaping out of every stun but sit-down stuns. Knowing how everyone hates slow escaping in general, I'm not sure it would be a good idea to fix things that way <.< So if possible, are there any other alternatives in fixing the stun game so it's not as scrubby and luck-based as it is now?

TRI Mike

I think just lowering the threshold values is more than enough. I remember Bayman and Tina doing CB in two hits at E3 and getting excellent launch heigh in the first strike after the stun-dealing attack. It was very nice.

qoodname

Regardless of how much id love see the DOA3 stun system make its return i dont see them making drastic changes like that with DOA5U. What i could imagine, even though the chances are pretty slim in my opinion, is that they kinda take a step into the E3 build direction and change the way sitdowns etc. and CBs are implemented into the game.

SchwarzPhy

1) In DOA5, when you put someone in stun, that stunning attack is not included in the threshold bar. It only initiates the threshold. That means once they're in stun, all attacks following will start counting towards threshold. This is not the case at all in DOA2/DOA3. In DOA2/3 the stunning attack COUNTED towards threshold max meaning the game didn't play as long in the stun game, it of course was played even less when you had normal and stun hit launching attacks.

Interesting. Is that why the launches seemed so much better in DOA3? A launch after one stun would be around the middle of the threshold instead of the beginning.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD