DOA6 Gameplay Thread

Raansu

Some of the old gens too. Rikuto for example, even the throw break system.

Which veteran top players? oh, the ones who aren't around anymore and just support the game vocally? oh, cool story. Or maybe the old gens decided just couldn't adapt to it or chose not to use it and prefer to mindlessly slap those buttons despite having the option to avoid scenarios with minimum risk. Oh shit? whaddya know? I been around since DOACentral. Who would of thought.

So far, the new gens (Sio etc.) and up been making usage of the game's mechanics more than anyone else.

Sorry, I'm done. Not going to engage with someone who can't keep the tone civil.

DestructionBomb

Standard Donor
Sorry, I'm done. Not going to engage with someone who can't keep the tone civil.

It is civil. I'm a competitive player and it's my absolute ballbusting faith that the game gets enjoyed competitively, might as well make my post competitive. When someone brings a model kit to a building, I would at least expect the blueprint behind it. If that bothers you, then how exactly am I suppose to take one's post serious in part of the discussion without a solid evidence on why a particular mechanic didn't work? If that were true, then no one would of enjoyed it. I wouldn't have enjoyed it either if it were true on "poor defense". At any case, this discussion is over then.

----------------------------------

So it looks like wake up kick advantages on hit have been changed I hear over at EVO when it lands on HiC. I'm not sure why anyone would try to whiff a throw before a wake up kick connects, but I'm assuming it's for safety when someone accidentally hits the throw command during that scenario.

Blackburry

Standard Donor
I didn't drag it actually bro. And I dont care, you being a stronger player than me doesn't suddenly mean im automatically wrong about my opinions, it was very pathetic and immature of you to act like I didn't "know the game at all" and insulting my gameplay all because I don't agree with you. I may not be the strongest player nor can I play all day everyday but don't degrade me as if I don't know what I'm talking about and as if I don't study the game or characters. But whatever, at least I dont make gofundme pages to attend DOA events instead of actually working. You're the epitome of a high level player I could never respect

Anyways Hoodless said there's gonna be a reveal I think after the tourney stuff so I'm really excited, I hope they show the new girl next!

I didn't even make a gofundme, and had no intention of going to EVO at all. I have a bachelors degree sir and have been going to tournaments for years WHILE in school and working, so your excuse holds no weight. I wouldn't of even continued this conversation if you didn't try to throw false shade at my personal life lmao.

Raansu

It is civil. I'm a competitive player and it's my absolute ballbusting faith that the game gets enjoyed competitively, might as well make my post competitive. When someone brings a model kit to a building, I would at least expect the blueprint behind it. If that bothers you, then how exactly am I suppose to take one's post serious in part of the discussion without a solid evidence on why a particular mechanic didn't work? If that were true, then no one would of enjoyed it. I wouldn't have enjoyed it either if it were true on "poor defense". At any case, this discussion is over then.

----------------------------------

So it looks like wake up kick advantages on hit have been changed I hear over at EVO when it lands on HiC. I'm not sure why anyone would try to whiff a throw before a wake up kick connects, but I'm assuming it's for safety when someone accidentally hits the throw command during that scenario.

Your post wasn't ballbusting. You were just being a dick.

just_me

Standard Donor
Wait which BB canceling?

Well there were a few instances on the stream, where a Break Blow connected, but the cinematic did not play and the opponent was put in Fatal Stun (sorry don't have timestamps or anything).

I thought that's just a bug and the game didn't properly detect that it should play the cinematic.
However Master said that you can press H/F/G (however you want to call it) to get that effect and gave the example that you can Super Launch throw -> juggle -> BB -> cancel -> Launch -> juggle (but he couldn't answer Shade's question if the opponent would be able to Break Hold the 2nd Launcher)

UpSideDownGRUNT

I have to admit 6 is looking promising, I was very against metre and metre moves at first but so far BB and BH are already used more than PB ever was in 5 lol and its integral to 6s meta and system unlike PB.

6 is really good right now IMO, they just need to tweak some thing like metre gain the 2 bar system is a step in the right direction but its still a little too fast.

Fantailler

And you think its ok that a player takes a high risk, gets the stun and then gets punished by the defending player who just mashed a dpad to stagger out of it? That's not even remotely ok. That completely removes the entire point of taking the risk.

The problem isn't SE here,the risk/reward of said move is poorly balanced to begin with.Either wrong stun or skewed sds.

I never had any problem with sds not guaranteeing CB.A fast middle generally is,a good launcher preferably.

An elbow isn't a high risk and it's quite rewarding on CH (Zack/Lei fang/Kasumi etc)>High counter throw or middle launcher P/K(middle k/p launcher is already a 50/50 by itself thanks to 4 points).

It's a 50/50 without normal defensive tools,without SE you're limited to a guess.When it should or could be a deep frame advantage thanks to SE.In a perfect world it should be.

Forcing your opponent to block is already by definition an advantage.If you choose the wrong move then it's on you.

Last edited:

DestructionBomb

Standard Donor
The problem isn't SE here,the risk/reward of said move is badly balanced to begin with.Either wrong stun or skewed sds.

I never had any problem with sds not guaranteeing CB.A fast middle generally is,a good launcher preferably.

An elbow isn't a high risk and it's quite rewarding on CH (Zack/Lei fang/Kasumi etc)>High counter throw or middle launcher P/K.It's a 50/50 without normal defensive tools,without SE you're limited to a guess.

I mean, it's alright. Previous DOA was playable without it as a major go-to tool until the system itself decided to level up mostly (didn't use it in the past much either until I was awoken on how good that shit was, even better if you play on stick). Stagger escaping had a weakness which were unstaggerable stun moves and one of the main reasons to use such moves is to prevent people from using it as a crutch. So you use fast startup moves to play the stun game and condition them to hold so that the follow up slower move will connect such as a limbo. In moments like these, you deserve that unstaggerable stun because the player stopped staggering now and went for the hold (which would be an incorrect one or the opponent held too early causing the opponent to get hit after the hold is no longer active). There is always a balance to that sort of thing. In compensation for the lack of SE, one can only hope that a huge number of those stuns have reduced advantage when it lands. Then again, SS was removed at first until TN brought it back right after so who knows.

Not to mention that some stuns (jab stuns for example) upon staggering hugely, creates a stun pushback that allows more breathing room when recovery hit state is over against real super slow attacks i28 etc, allowing you time to back dash and throw punish it as a whiff (in hopes the follow up move doesn't have too much reach or else you'll be put in a stun again due to back dash CH state). Back in the older DOA games back dashing was considered Hi-counter, so just imagine the damage for trying to space and avoid a particular move that landed midway somehow due to HitBoxBoiyz.

Last edited:

Fantailler

I'm not against a limitation of SE at all.It shouln't be a free out of jail card.But it is really helpful in some case.I'm totally for unstaggerable moves too, more defined and diversified stun properties.

While slow escaping you're busy,less inclined to hold.It's important imho. One more layer to the stun game.If your opponent does it on the wrong stun go for a fast blow/launcher or delay for a nitaku. The animation is pretty obvious.

I think they removed SE because of BB beating the most simple mixup, middle throw....it may be a reason,or they simply consider that BH is more than enough.

Last edited:

DestructionBomb

Standard Donor
I'm not against a limitation of SE at all.It shouln't be a free out of jail card.But it is really helpful in some case.I'm totally for unstaggerable moves too, more defined and diversified stun properties.

While slow escaping you're busy,less inclined to hold.It's important imho. One more layer to the stun game.If your opponent does it on the wrong stun go for a fast blow/launcher or delay for a nitaku. The animation is pretty obvious.

I think they removed SE because of BB beating the most simple mixup, middle throw....it may be a reason,or they simply consider that BH is more than enough.

Probably yeah, it practically holds everything (even non-holding resistant attacks such as Jann Lee's Dragon Kick) since the meter builds up pretty fast. I wasn't too overly optimistic with DOA6 previously because SS was removed from the beginning until they brought it back, I am more hopeful for it now compared to when it first showed gameplay.

Fantailler

I wasn't really optimistic too at first but it looks better now.

I have few minor issues though.BB shouldn't have any invicibility.It covers too many things.Whiff punish,spacing, hold punish,Sabaki/armor move,high damaging single blow(close to walls it's crazy) and it's damn fast.It's a good tool but armor is a little too much.SS attack is already really great and more than enough.

Low strikes beat it for a simple reason, WuK.

It's an over the top hold without it's weakness,a throw.

Last edited:

ryu_highabusa

If it's true that we're getting shorter stuns, then I'm all for ditching the SE. It was only ever really relevant in DOA4, where it was actually advantageous to get knocked into a wall and SE the stun.

DestructionBomb

Standard Donor
It was only ever really relevant in DOA4, where it was actually advantageous to get knocked into a wall and SE the stun.

Incorrect. In DOA5 you were able to escape sitdown bursts that were not guaranteed from level 2 stun threshold (burst no longer exist, but slower launchers are equivalent to bursts anyway so that's besides the point). You were able to escape slip stun setups that were not guaranteed. You were able to escape object breakable setups from getting hit with a knockback from miles away where the opponent has enough time to get a launcher even with recovery attached. You were able to escape non-guaranteed BT setups. You were also able to escape pseudo BT infinites or pseudo BT gimmicks if the opponent chooses not to stagger. The "only" time SE was not very useful is if the opponent used attacks that -prevent- stagger escaping or deep stuns that give off high threshold for hit levels.

It's almost as if some people did not play DOA5 to an extent on a high level to even realize that.

Last edited:

ryu_highabusa

It's almost as if some people did not play DOA5 to an extent on a high level to even realize that.
So sorry for not being on the spectrum and/or OCD like you and having the entire game memorized inside and out.

For the record, I didn't especially enjoy 5 so why would I waste time doing something I don't like? It's basically DOA4.5.

Plus, there's no good outlet for learning the game anyway, this site isn't it. I did play casually a little and have tried a handful of times to see if I could pick up any of the new characters or mechanics with no luck. Unless you have someone willing to personally train you or play with you, you're SOL and that's not a privilege most people have.

What frustrated me the most about playing 5 was if I did pick up a technique, it would be patched out the next time I booted up the game. I'm getting upset right now just thinking about combos I learned for vanilla that got removed in an update. I ended up dropping the character and stopped actively playing around then and really trying to learn much outside of doing dlc characters' move training.

Incorrect. In DOA5 you were able to escape
Yeah, you were able to escape... any number of longer stuns - I'm aware of what the stagger escape is. Way to miss the point entirely. I said it wasn't especially relevant outside of 4; that's where lots of people actually used it. I don't know if I've ever seen someone SE in a DOA5 match, and the devs kept taking steps to make it less accessible with each update until they finally just got rid of it in 6. Yeah, I'm sure there were situations you could use it to get out of setups in 5. In 2 and 3 also, I bet. That's the point?? Hurr durr.

DestructionBomb

Standard Donor
So sorry for not being on the spectrum and/or OCD like you and having the entire game memorized inside and out.

For the record, I didn't especially enjoy 5 so why would I waste time doing something I don't like? It's basically DOA4.5.

Then why would you provide a post saying it wasn't relevant in DOA5 when you barely even played it to provide information that it wasn't? think before you post son. This is not me being a dick. This is a legit post by the way.

So sorry that someone had to come in here and do the work for others on checking these posts for hilarious bits.

I don't know if I've ever seen someone SE in a DOA5 match

Majority of the competitors in tournaments use it, as well as general players that been playing before DOA5 was even a thing. Players who contributed longer than most people has done when it came to this sort. I use it, Bladez use it, Hoodless uses it, Emann uses it, Kwiggles especially etc etc etc.

ryu_highabusa

Then why would you provide a post saying it wasn't relevant in DOA5
My post didn't say anything about DOA5, stop fabricating shit. I said that the SE was most relevant in DOA4 and I stand by that. Shaving 3 frames off a stun isn't very noticeable, dropping to the ground in 3 frames is pretty noticeable.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD