Examining DOA7 Hiroaki Morita Tweets Legitimacy

deathofaninja

Premium Donor
News Team
I can agree with Rikuto stating that the body textures could be seen as better in Tekken, but to me that is only one compartment of the graphics. I would argue that DOA faces (especially the females) as KL state have more detail in them than Tekken - and I also believe that the expressions in combat for DOA6 are top of the line.

Negan's reveal proved that the game isn't the smoothest in the world when it comes to anti-aliasing.

The belly buttons and the torso area were definitely the main downfall of DOA's graphical presentation. I think something had to take a hit for DOA to run properly and the skin textures was it since they could chalk it up as going for the perfect doll appearance. You can see where they use a dirt effect near the belly buttons to kind of ward off that detail by the end of a match when a character is posing.

Before saying everything else is patently false I would also say the stages in DOA outclass Tekken's in every sense of the word. DOA4's stages had more detail in them than Tekken 7 - and DOA4's stages were also vastly larger in scale and not just boring square rings.

Last edited:

DestructionBomb

Standard Donor
I can agree with Rikuto stating that the body textures could be seen as better in Tekken, but to me that is only one compartment of the graphics. I would argue that DOA faces (especially the females) as KL state have more detail in them than Tekken - and I also believe that the expressions in combat for DOA6 are top of the line.

Negan's reveal proved that the game isn't the smoothest in the world when it comes to anti-aliasing.

The belly buttons and the torso area were definitely the main downfall of DOA's graphical presentation. I think something had to take a hit for DOA to run properly and the skin textures was it since they could chalk it up as going for the perfect doll appearance. You can see where they use a dirt effect near the belly buttons to kind of ward off that detail by the end of a match when a character is posing.

Before saying everything else is patently false I would also say the stages in DOA outclass Tekken's in every sense of the word. DOA4's stages had more detail in them than Tekken 7 - and DOA4's stages were also vastly larger in scale and not just boring square rings.

Don't think Negan's issue was the anti-aliasing. His face looked off in general because they legit tried to make him look too much like Jeffrey Dean Morgan. Creating a guest character (from a western comic) that didn't originate from a video game with a completely new moveset (in a Japanese FG) vs guests from other fighting games with a thought out plan for a movekit is a whole different ball game. They didn't know what to expect when making Negan. This was the same with NRS with movie characters where Ed Boon stated that movie characters are untested waters and can be scary to mess up compared to comic characters such as Joker and Spawn, or other video game characters.

Rikuto is right with the Bloom. This is present in the Nioh games too where some areas just has this weird bloom effect that makes certain areas look off/doesn't belong, walls become too apparent with terrain causing buggy shadows with lighting and then bloom effect that just looks poorly implemented where it just ruins immersion. DOA6 has quite a bit of it but everyone is too keen with how the characters look while everything else flies under the radar. I took it as a bunch of new guys working on the games, engines they used, or because they had a skeleton crew working on DOA6 due to the others working on other projects. I definitely agree that DOA has one of the smoothest animations though, but even then it's like eh...other companies can do the same if they truly put their heart in it.

My issue with Tekken when it comes to visuals & aesthetics is how everything looks incredibly washed out in color output (which they tried to fix with mods here and there), but they do provide greater detail. Tekken's roster (in my opinion for this) just looks more full of life even in gameplay standards with lower animation quality.

Last edited:

deathofaninja

Premium Donor
News Team
This is the message from Hiroaki:

こんにちは。 森田宏明です。 私のツイートが嘘だというデマを流さないでください。 私の名前はDOA6アーケード版にクレジットされてます。 アーケード版は確認しましたか?

When I translated it:

‎HELLO. MY NAME IS HIROAKI MORITA. PLEASE DON'T SPREAD THE HOAX THAT MY TWEETS ARE LIES. MY NAME IS CREDITED IN THE DOA6 ARCADE VERSION. HAVE YOU CHECKED THE ARCADE VERSION?‎

I asked him for an interview, and he has yet to respond. :ninja: Though he has seen the Tweets. At this point he could be impersonating someone.

DestructionBomb

Standard Donor
Dear lord lol. Can that Hiroaki provide a more credible proof?

He could literally pick a random name in the credits and say it's him lol.

Last edited:

gfg$

So why did he leak secret information? What was the point? Looks like he wants to be fired and have bad recommendations from KT

But still it looks like fake

Dionysus

I've been playing some Tekken recently and I would basically agree that DOA has the animations and maps (counting interaction) but they fell behind on the character models, especially after you count all that bloom. Which I guess leaves SC6 the neglected child. Hiroaki is almost certainly lying, but even if it was true it wouldn't really change what we pretty much already could guess - there won't be a mainline DOA any time soon, if ever. We can surely look forward to many more years of support for Xtreme Venus Vacation though!

DestructionBomb

Standard Donor
I think it's because he's more fitting for a Mortal Kombat game than a Tekken game.

The same could be said via Noctis for Soul Calibur. Despite Noctis being one of the odd choices for Tekken, he surprisingly doesn't look too weird in the scale to that of Negan, normally one would think it's off because FF has a completely different aesthetic, but then you have other sword characters such as Raven and Yoshimitsu so it ended up working, you also have bears in that game so I suppose it makes sense. Think the only weird bit about Noctis is that he legit took a wrong turn and ended up on the wrong game within Namco.

Negan just looks completely weird from top to bottom. An anachronism in every detail.

Last edited:

deathofaninja

Premium Donor
News Team
If they would have done comic book Negan the game may have had me. JDM is awesome, but comic book Negan is my dude.

Matt Ponton

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Standard Donor
This is the message from Hiroaki:

こんにちは。 森田宏明です。 私のツイートが嘘だというデマを流さないでください。 私の名前はDOA6アーケード版にクレジットされてます。 アーケード版は確認しましたか?

When I translated it:

‎HELLO. MY NAME IS HIROAKI MORITA. PLEASE DON'T SPREAD THE HOAX THAT MY TWEETS ARE LIES. MY NAME IS CREDITED IN THE DOA6 ARCADE VERSION. HAVE YOU CHECKED THE ARCADE VERSION?‎

I asked him for an interview, and he has yet to respond. :ninja: Though he has seen the Tweets. At this point he could be impersonating someone.
He's listed as System Engineering.
1652519581362.png

deathofaninja

Premium Donor
News Team
When I inquired about the emails not going through he responded:

“This is because some security is applied to receiving e-mails from outside the company.”

So far he’s dodged all the identification questions. Which doesn’t make a lot of sense since he’s listed himself already.

gfg$

Still, he can just use name of guy from credits. If Master says he doesn't know anything about this person, it's a red flag, he didn't confirm or refute the info. It's either someone is fake or this "leak" was made for purpose. This leak hyped too much for devs just staying silent. If they don't want to reveal such information and stay quiet it's way too late, since different media distributed this. So, we can get another disappointing message or loud reveal.
Even if no one in KT/TN cares about Dead or Alive, reveal of such secret/inside information it's way for serious problems

Last edited:

KasumiLover

xX_APO_Prince_Xx
Premium Donor
Still, he can just use name of guy from credits. If Master says he doesn't know anything about this person, it's a red flag, he didn't confirm or refute the info. It's either someone is fake or this "leak" was made for purpose. This leak hyped too much for devs just staying silent. If they don't want to reveal such information and stay quiet it's way too late, since different media distributed this. So, we can get another disappointing message or loud reveal.
Even if no one in KT/TN cares about Dead or Alive, reveal of such secret/inside information it's way for serious problems
I disagree tbh, the devs didn't hype anything up, when someone is potentially lying on you or sharing info on you that is neither confirmed or public you have to do what's necessary to debunk that before the community starts running with it since we don't even know the guy's motives, but unfortunately because if the current energy the community has, that's what has happened and now everyone is in a mess trying to sense of this.

Just because he's reporting something or a "leak" doesn't make him a actual dev or fan, people use the "fan" title loosely nowadays anyways just because someone is criticizing their actions and whatever negative stuff they're doing, not everyone who has something to say is a fan or likes you. That one rooflemonger YT page is a huge example since even when they know their DOA7 is canceled video isn't fully true or misleading, they'll still run with that narrative for attention like typical stankys do. I won't personally believe anything the account has to say until we see receipts or hear some sort of Freudian slip from the confirmed devs themselves. Even Master has nothing really to say which I think says alot until we hear more

DyByHands

The reactions to this kind of reminds me back when TN announced the end of support for DOA5 and everyone lost their minds with “doa is dead and done for” type talks.
Even if they did cancel 7, its prolly for the better until they can figure stuff out after 6 lol.

deathofaninja

Premium Donor
News Team
The reactions to this kind of reminds me back when TN announced the end of support for DOA5 and everyone lost their minds with “doa is dead and done for” type talks.
Even if they did cancel 7, its prolly for the better until they can figure stuff out after 6 lol.

It's kind of hard to believe they were working on a sequel that quickly after DOA6. I'm more inclined to believe it was a fixer upper to DOA6 - but then current gen systems like PS5 and XBOX Series X fixed a lot of problems, so they decided to scrap it. That's my guess but I could be wrong.

KasumiLover

xX_APO_Prince_Xx
Premium Donor
It's kind of hard to believe they were working on a sequel that quickly after DOA6. I'm more inclined to believe it was a fixer upper to DOA6 - but then current gen systems like PS5 and XBOX Series X fixed a lot of problems, so they decided to scrap it. That's my guess but I could be wrong.
That's why I think it may not be true since it's too quick for a DOA7 imo, DOA5 released in 2012 and a sequel wasn't even brought up until about early mid 2018 besides the 3 fixer uppers they did from +, Ultimate and Last Round. Plus I'm sure Kula and Mai are possibly still under some collab agreement so why waste more time they can be up for sale as DLC in 6 by just hopping to DOA7 where their return isn't guaranteed? They're already burning time since they stopped support I believe in 2020.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD