Final Fantasy Thread

Aerospark

Standard Donor
Dunno if anyone's made a thread like this, & if so, my apologies. But this thread will be used to talk about which Final Fantasy games you like, dislike, which had the best gameplay, character related things, etc, etc. OTL I guess I should start it all off, or something.

For me, my favorite Final Fantasy will always be Final Fantasy X. It was such a great game, gameplay & story wise. Character development wise, it wasn't the best, but it was great. My favorite character in the series is Yuna uwu. idk wtf do I say here this sounds so cheesy bye

QueenJakheiho

ff1logo.gif

I finished it on the GBA, from my sight today its pretty antiquated story and gameplay-wise.
Final_Fantasy_Logo_II.jpg

The level system was pretty weird but the first progress to makin a story and characters in the series.
newff3logowhtpsdjpgcopy.jpg

Back to the roots storywise with a new Charactersystem that find his perfection in V but i never finished it, tired of countless hours of grinding to beat the damn hard Bosses.
FFIV610.jpg

The breakthrough the series. The Active Time Battle system arrives.
Still a great story with some nice twists and unique characters(Rydia, Kain, Cecil) and several interesting locations(Underworld, Moon)

FF5.at_-600x300.jpg

Probaly the most complex charactersystem in the whole series. Gameplaywise is V still fresh and unique. The characters and story was a backstep to IV. But this game had also some very memorable moments(The Clash on the Bridge, the fights with Exdeath - that theme!, Galufs Sacrifice)

Thats from my side so far, later more to VI - XIII-2

Awesmic

Standard Donor
Well, if we're gonna organize them in categories:

The one that started it all: Final Fantasy

The one that gets slept on: Final Fantasy II

The best beta version of the game with the best gameplay: Final Fantasy III

Most influential battle system: Final Fantasy IV

Best gameplay: Final Fantasy V

Overall personal favorite: Final Fantasy VI

Most popular: Final Fantasy VII

Best final boss transition: Final Fantasy VIII

Best modern sendoff to classic FF games: Final Fantasy IX

Most accessible: Final Fantasy X

Best sidequests: Final Fantasy XII

Best female character designs: Final Fantasy XIII

Aerospark

Standard Donor
Well, if we're gonna organize them in categories:

The one that started it all: Final Fantasy

The one that gets slept on: Final Fantasy II

The best beta version of the game with the best gameplay: Final Fantasy III

Most influential battle system: Final Fantasy IV

Best gameplay: Final Fantasy V

Overall personal favorite: Final Fantasy VI

Most popular: Final Fantasy VII

Best final boss transition: Final Fantasy VIII

Best modern sendoff to classic FF games: Final Fantasy IX

Most accessible: Final Fantasy X

Best sidequests: Final Fantasy XII

Best female character designs: Final Fantasy XIII
Oerba Young Thang & Oerba Damn Vanilla

UpSideDownGRUNT

My favourite Final Fantasy I have never played is probably either IV or IX both are amazing games and have one thing in common they're both infinitely better than FFVII.

My fave FF that I have played is probably VI or X, VI had a plethora of characters including a Mog and all of them were unique in their own ways and X is just beautiful and had some interesting characters and the music was awesome (underworld and the main battle theme comes to mind) plus it has my fave 2nd fave Black mage ever Lulu ( I dig gothic-chic women)

My least fave is probably VII, I'm playing through it and the game is awesome but the story, most of the characters and in some respect the battle system is a bit outdated.

My guilty pleasure is Final Fantasy XIII I don't know what it is but even with all it's atrocious flaws I love this game so damned much and Lightning is probably my favourite FF character ever next to Tidus and Vivi.

My most anticipated FF game is Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII and after that Final Fantasy XV, LR:FFXIII is a nice change of pace and doesn't break the classic formula infact LR is the most classic style FF since FFX it is a nice mixture of Kingdom Hearts and Classic Final Fantasy.

And FFXV is just the most anticipated FF in a LOOOOONG while and the fact that it's on PS4/Xbox One just adds to the hype.

Nameless Sama

My favourite FF Game was FF7 , characters died like zack my facourite character in this game , gold saucer , battle arena and a beautiful and sad story. I loved the substance system.

FF8 had in my opinion the best character design and GF design for a PS1 game. The mini card game was funny too.

FF9 was a very good game. I really loved to feed the cocoobos and ride in the world map with these beautiful melody.
Ah yes these choocobo treasure was very funny xD.

FFX = I really loved this game. Biltzball , hunting the black GFs , great story , what do you want more.

Every FF game had a special feature I liked that but it was amazing to have your own plane and drive in the air.

Above FFX is bad sorry.

SilverForte

7 is my favorite, probably the one I played the most, it was my 1st so I'm a bit biased but I love pretty much everything about this game.

12 is a great game, but International zodiac job system is truly fantastic, it fixes everything that I had a problem with in 12.
Fast mode, improved zoning, job system, trial mode. In addition to what made 12 so good with its world, lore, music, content, I hope they release an HD port of it.

Then there's 4, my favorite of the classic ff games, so many great moments, awesome characters, and some of my favorite music in the series. The psp version is the best, but the ds version is worth playing for the increased difficulty, if you can ignore the butchered characters and script, god cecil is so bad in the ds version.

Those are my 3 favorites but the rest of the series is good too, 13 with its combat, 9 with its classic feel, 5 for its job system and gilgamesh. I haven't played 8 or 3 though.

I may be the odd man out but I love the old games as well as the new ones, really looking forward to lightning returns.

QueenJakheiho

My favourite Final Fantasy I have never played is probably either IV or IX both are amazing games and have one thing in common they're both infinitely better than FFVII.

So your a fan and havent played IX or IV, i think you should jump to ebay and get a copy from both stunning games. ^^
I dont see why is VII outdated, when one game is outdated gameplaywise and especially character and storywise from the PSX FF then its VIII.

SilverForte

The materia system is probably my favorite system in a ff game, I love collecting them and it allows you to customize your characters to whatever you want.

Anyways Grunt you must play IV, psp or gba, whichever you can, just don't play the ds version first.

QueenJakheiho

The materia system is probably my favorite system in a ff game, I love collecting them and it allows you to customize your characters to whatever you want.

Anyways Grunt you must play IV, psp or gba, whichever you can, just don't play the ds version first.

Yeah pick the GBA Version and buy IX
FF IX is with FF VI in my opinion that masterpieces of the series.

UpSideDownGRUNT

So your a fan and havent played IX or IV, i think you should jump to ebay and get a copy from both stunning games. ^^
I dont see why is VII outdated, when one game is outdated gameplaywise and especially character and storywise from the PSX FF then its VIII.
Yeah I know and I plan to I saw some Let's Plays of both games and I immediately fell in love with them and wanted to play them. I'll think about somehow getting FFIV and I'll wait to see if they remaster FFIX on Steam like they have with VII and VIII.

As for the question about VII, I only meant to say that the battle system was outdated the fact you can abuse it bu beating a mid Disc 1 boss with an X-Potion and just use Hypers on everyone to get to the higher level Limits as quick as level 1 Limits is kinda silly to me and I just don't like the overall story of VII and most of the characters apart from Yuffie and Tifa don't really interest me, although yeah I love materia system the only FF game that lets you customise characters even more is FFX since literally every character can learn every skill and spell in the whole game.

SilverForte

Ha ha, gotta love Yuffie, but yeah, pretty much every ff is easily abusable, 7 is no exception, probably the easiest in the series.

UpSideDownGRUNT

Ha ha, gotta love Yuffie, but yeah, pretty much every ff is easily abusable, 7 is no exception, probably the easiest in the series.
You can say that again, I haven't had much trouble what so ever thus far. I'm still on my 1st playthrough but it's just really easy and the dull story doesn't help most of the characters however, I do like the back stories of some of the characters and watching Tifa amuse Cloud by letting him think some of his memories are his is a little amusing.

I have no idea what to say about VIII since I've only ever played the first 10 minutes and never got past the first "mission" when I played it back in 98 or 99 whenever it was it came out.

Chapstick

Here we go

I own FFI and FFII but I've never really played them too much.

III I have the DS remake of and I loved it. The job system was a lot of fun and the story was great.

IV-VI I've never played but plan to eventually. You can *edit* BUY them on the PSN and I've been eyeing them.

VII was my first FF and it'll always have a special place in my heart. I loved the materia system, the mini games were a huge pain but had their charms. I really liked the story, it was emotional and sad. I was pretty young (7 or 8 IIRC) and actually cried the first playthrough when Cait Sith died. xD I didn't like Aerith because she got in the way of CloudxTifa so her death was pretty 'meh.'

Never played Dirge of Cerberus

VIII was a lot of fun and the junctioning system was pretty cool. I'm doing a no level up playthrough atm and it's pretty much playing on easy-as-pie mode since I have fantastic magic junctioning my stats through the roof and none of the enemies are leveled up at all. Very large game. Got weird in some spots but they pretty much all do.

IX was fantastic. Loved the characters, the story, and the skill system where wearing certain equipment and gaining AP let you learn abilities. The friendly monsters asking for ore and gems and the quizmaster were nice little touches. Working on a playthrough of this right now too.

X is one of my favorites. I loved pretty much everything about it, especially the return of the turn-based battle system. Itching to start a new playthrough so badly but I'm holding off because of the upcoming X/X-2 remaster.

X-2 was great and I'm really not sure why everyone hated it. The battle system was really fun with all the dresspheres being jobs and each one having a set of skills to master. For the most part it was an upbeat story about Yuna's new life after Sin was finally done away with. In X she was born to die and accepted her fate, sacrificing herself for the temporary relief of the people of Spira. In X-2 that enormous weight was lifted off her shoulders with a permanent Calm and she got to let her hair down and have some fun.

XI I never played since it was online

XII I liked the change in the battle system and the characters were all fantastic. Fran fan 4 life, Balthier hmu. It had some really touching moments like Fran returning to the Viera's home and not being able to hear the woods anymore, asking her sister what it was saying. 'The wood beckons you back under it's branches' 'A pleasant lie, that' really stuck with me.

XIII was another game I really don't understand why people didn't like. It was linear, yes, but so was FFX. 'They were on a pilgrimage in X' they were on the run for their lives in XIII. I loved the battle system with paradigms and job roles. The crystarium level caps pissed me off a bit, though. I really enjoy overleveling and XIII refused to let me do that. The characters felt very real to me. One of the few games I have plat'd.

XIII-2 really pissed me off because it ruined XIII's ending. XIII ended on a bittersweet note and felt complete and XIII-2 was like 'haha fuk u.' It was a fun game overall though and I liked recruiting monsters to use them in battle. Another game I plat'd.

I tried the Lightning Returns demo and it looks okay. I'll probably pick it up when the price has gone down dramatically. The DLC outfits make me a little angry. In DOA outfits are purely cosmetic but it looks like in LR all outfits have certain abilities tied to them. As long as the DLC ones don't have any exclusive abilities other outfits in the actual game do have, then I don't care.

The 3DS spin-off game, Theatrhythm, is so much fun. It takes you on a trip down memory lane with songs all the way back from FFI with multiple characters to use from each game. There appears to be a sequel to this coming out in Japan in the future and I really hope it gets localized.

Last edited:

Jyakotu

Standard Donor
My favorite Final Fantasy games in the main series are IV, IX, and XIII. I am eagerly awaiting Lighting Returns!

Nameless Sama

I cant wait ti play Final Fantasy X HD edition. I havent beaten the Black Esper so I have a calculation open. Ah yes the new oldschool RPG project have begun. Here

UpSideDownGRUNT

I didn't like Aerith because she got in the way of CloudxTifa so her death was pretty 'meh.'
Haha, I love you for this xD I'm also more of the childhood friend over Zack's Ex-girlfriend (SPLOILER: because we know the only reason Aeris/Aerith likes Cloud is because he has Zack's memories, hence the conversation back in Midgar when she says that she reminds her of her ex boyfriend Zack who was also in SOLDIER)

X is one of my favorites. I loved pretty much everything about it, especially the return of the turn-based battle system. Itching to start a new playthrough so badly but I'm holding off because of the upcoming X/X-2 remaster.
I also love X, Tidus, Lulu, Wakka, Rikku and Auron are some of the best characters Tetsuya Nomura has ever created next to Yuffie, Tifa, Lightning, Snow and Zell. That plus the Dark Aeons were a real challenge and lol Anima... so OP.

X-2 was great and I'm really not sure why everyone hated it. The battle system was really fun with all the dresspheres being jobs and each one having a set of skills to master. For the most part it was an upbeat story about Yuna's new life after Sin was finally done away with. In X she was born to die and accepted her fate, sacrificing herself for the temporary relief of the people of Spira. In X-2 that enormous weight was lifted off her shoulders with a permanent Calm and she got to let her hair down and have some fun.
X-2 seems really interesting and one of the main reasons I want the HD ports coming to PS3 and one of the main reasons I'm getting a PS3 in March plus I remember playing the demo back in 02 and had fun with the game plus, Paine is cool as fuck.

XIII was another game I really don't understand why people didn't like. It was linear, yes, but so was FFX. 'They were on a pilgrimage in X' they were on the run for their lives in XIII. I loved the battle system with paradigms and job roles. The crystarium level caps pissed me off a bit, though. I really enjoy overleveling and XIII refused to let me do that. The characters felt very real to me. One of the few games I have plat'd.
FFXIII as I said is my guilty pleasure, I love the crap out of this game idk why though because technically speaking it's the worst Final Fantasy ever created but I just love the universe, the worlds Cocoon and Pulse and the characters have alot of life in them and, the music is so damned good Dust to Dust and Blinded by Light are two of my fave tracks in FF history next to Still Fighting, FFX's battle theme, FFVI's battle theme, Tifa's theme and To Zanarkand. I agree with you about the level caps, and how annoyingly expensive all the upgrades were by Disc 3 but it added challenge sort of, I like what they were going for with XIII but it was just presented wrong.

I tried the Lightning Returns demo and it looks okay. I'll probably pick it up when the price has gone down dramatically. The DLC outfits make me a little angry. In DOA outfits are purely cosmetic but it looks like in LR all outfits have certain abilities tied to them. As long as the DLC ones don't have any exclusive abilities other outfits in the actual game do have, then I don't care.
Lightning Returns is mechanically one of the best FFs to ever exist it mixes Kingdom Hearts' Hack & Slash vibes and mixes it with classic Final Fantasy and it does work, really well in fact. I'd say it's definitely the best game out of the 3 XIII games plus the Knockout feature is so technically in depth it's ridiculous at what you can do with it.

As for your dispute with the Garb DLC, don't worry most of the DLC packs is pre-order bonuses being made available for everyone or the FFVII Cloud and Aeris Garbs and Yuna's FFX-2 costume (which comes with Brotherhood and Buckler) they do have extra abilities but it's mostly throwback stuff ex. Cloud's Garb has Cross-Slash and a heavy attack which resembles Braver (which all broadswords have in the game) the only real DLC costumes are the moogle costume, the black and gold one(which gives you less max HP) and the Holy Knight one. and besides that's only a select few there's still a tonne of garbs on the disc itself out of all of the Garbs in LR only the pre-order samurai garbs and the FF throwbacks are DLC with the day 1 Garbs the rest are on disc via shops or side quests or need special unlocks like having a save file of FFXIII and XIII-2 to unlock Lightning's respective costum,es or a special first edition code from FFX/X-2 HD for Yuna's Summoner Garb. If they start doing optional Boss DLC for the coliseum ala XIII-2 I wouldn't mind that either.

Awesmic

Standard Donor
IV-VI I've never played but plan to eventually. You can *edit* BUY them on the PSN and I've been eyeing them.
No, no, no! DO NOT buy those crappy ports on PSN. They do not do the original SNES any justice, as they suffer from actual load times, slowdown issues, butchered audio, and in FF5's case, a god-awful translation. Play them on an SNES emulator (it's free anyway), and if you have a GBA emulator, get that version of FF5.

X-2 was great and I'm really not sure why everyone hated it. The battle system was really fun with all the dresspheres being jobs and each one having a set of skills to master.
It lacked the abundant action-oriented sidequests of XII.

XIII was another game I really don't understand why people didn't like. It was linear, yes, but so was FFX. 'They were on a pilgrimage in X' they were on the run for their lives in XIII.
At least in FFX, you can backtrack to all those locations you went to on that linear quest via "microwave airship". In FFXIII, the only place you could roam freely in was Gran Pulse. This is why FFX doesn't get that kind of flak for being linear.

The 3DS spin-off game, Theatrhythm, is so much fun. It takes you on a trip down memory lane with songs all the way back from FFI with multiple characters to use from each game. There appears to be a sequel to this coming out in Japan in the future and I really hope it gets localized.
Played Dissidia?

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD