Free Step movement speed nerfs

grap3fruitman

Standard Donor
Hey have you tried running? You do it by double tapping FORWARD and holding it the second time.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Also, not playing 30sec/lowHP/wifi would probably help too lmao
Fuck no. This is the superior setting. Nothing's stopping you from doing that rapid step on 60s or infinite time either. 30s makes it bearable tbh
Like I'd actually love to see you troll some people in an infinite time lobby. Please stream it if you ever do.

For the record, I'm not asking for the step to be taken out, I just feel hopeless when someone does that or one of the ninjas starts their teleporting non-sense and feel like Diego and a bunch of other characters have no counter or way of getting in. Correct me if I'm wrong, like this is something I'm struggling with, clearly...

Last edited:

WAZAAAAA

@grap3fruitman you call that weak ass shit running? GO IN
It's the other way around, zoning/spacing/turtling/playing keep-away is only rewarding on limited time, because you can't sit on the life lead and let the timer win you the match, there is no sense of urgency, a KO HAS to happen

@NightAntilli it is definitely janky-looking as fuck, it should've never existed in the first place, but it's not game-breaking. It only started existing from DOA5 afaik (yes I know DOA3 BT Ayane had it). It's actually very execution-heavy and very character-dependent. Only Diego and Brad can do it, also Jann and Christie to a lesser extent, and anyone who can go BT during GET READY FIGHT phase.

But in the end, running forward is still the fastest way to travel; the ultimate equalizer. This is really just something you do to look fancy, and it works since people think I use a script every time lmao

Last edited:

grap3fruitman

Standard Donor
zoning/spacing/turtling/playing keep-away is only rewarding on limited time,
Thanks for inadvertently proving my point about 30s and smallest health.

because you can't sit on the life lead and let the timer win you the match, there is no sense of urgency, a KO HAS to happen
Yes, there is no urgency and you have forever. Literally what is stopping you from sitting on a life lead for 59s or 98s?

It was the online turtlers who petitioned Team Ninja to increase the lifebar and time iirc

Last edited:

Sotherius

Ok. Let's be clear. DOA is a in your face fighting game primarily.

Turtling ins't that prevalent, and besides Ayane, zoning isn't much of a thing.

A fighting game should allow different playstyles to thrive and different kinds of players to find their way to play the FG.

Zoning should be viable. Grappling, rushdown, everything.

Right now, 3d movement in doa 6 feels lacking, is not bad, but is not as good as it was before, and with that some playstyles and good things are left out.

Spacing, whiff punishing, baiting, all of that is affected by movement.

NightAntilli

One of the main issues of DOA is that attacks are generally too risky. I'm not saying that all attacks should be safe or whatever. But... Barely any characters have even a single significant move that is + on block, and there are way too many moves for all characters that are negative on normal hit. Above that, you have the holds to contend with, which makes long distance moves, which are mostly slow as hell or unsafe, extremely risky. That is the main issue that makes things harder than it should against turtling spacers/zoners. Attacking with strikes is generally riskier than not attacking. This is more true for some characters than others, obviously, but fundamentally, that's how the mechanics work.

I haven't played SC6 so I can't comment on how that compares. But if I compare it to VF5, the movement there is much more dynamic than the DOA games, and yet, it is not as overpowered as DOA, simply because the game has multiple mechanics to tackle a turtling/zoning/spacing opponent. What is the weakness of holding "7" in DOA? That DOA6 has restricted movement compared to prior DOA games is a good thing.

WAZAAAAA

Thanks for inadvertently proving my point about 30s and smallest health.

Yes, there is no urgency and you have forever. Literally what is stopping you from sitting on a life lead for 59s or 98s?
what point are you trying to make? Because what I'm saying is:
30s = timer scamming is too strong
infinite = timer scamming is too weak (non-existent)
60s = timer scamming is just right
It was the online turtlers who petitioned Team Ninja to increase the lifebar and time iirc
>online game petitions
200w.webp

But... Barely any characters have even a single significant move that is + on block
in DOA the "advantage" is created by the fear of the mixup of continuing the string, delaying it, or free cancelling it. e.g. I dare you to press a button after my 6P which is minus on paper alone, but it can extend to 6PPPP
and there are way too many moves for all characters that are negative on normal hit
every 3D fighter has minus-on-hit lows, they're like chip damage, you got your tiny unreactable free damage now it's no longer your turn, it's not an absurd concept ¯\_(ツ)_/¯. And getting hit on NH by highs and mids while standing should never happen in the first place lol, but yeah they should still change them
Above that, you have the holds to contend with, which makes long distance moves, which are mostly slow as hell or unsafe, extremely risky. That is the main issue that makes things harder than it should against turtling spacers/zoners. Attacking with strikes is generally riskier than not attacking. This is more true for some characters than others, obviously, but fundamentally, that's how the mechanics work.
just
lmao
turtling strong in DOA, are we playing the same game? This is DOA where throws are the fastest moves in the game and are unbreakable
run up and throw if you expect them to do nothing or run up and block if you expect them to do something
congratulations, you're in
I'm not even kidding, just watch some high level play. That's how MASTER has been ending rounds for decades, that's how Rikuto has been getting in with his slow ass characters
it is not as overpowered as DOA, simply because the game has multiple mechanics to tackle a turtling/zoning/spacing opponent. What is the weakness of holding "7" in DOA? That DOA6 has restricted movement compared to prior DOA games is a good thing.
Stop trying to make 7 sound overpowered. It's not going to happen, you're being silly, please stop

crapoZK

Standard Donor
If you’re complaining about the bunk backdash, you’re not running in and you don’t know your ranges. It’s stupid and probably shouldn’t even exist but it’s not even close to being broken. Broken is
being able to sprint backwards with 44.

Holding 7 is not and will never be broken lmfaoo do you want everything to just connect on hit or block? People are spacing well and whiff punishing you so it’s overpowered? You can run in and just do nothing. You don’t have to attack. Some of you are reading frames on a string that’s half complete, seeing negative numbers and want to say it’s a risk, when you haven’t thought to consider the mixup/possibility of delaying the string, cancelling or completing it. Most of Zack’s moves are minus as shit on block but because there’s always a mixup he may as well be plus, as delayed strings and strings in general are completely uninterruptible for the most part.

As annoying turtles are, learn to use your engagement options instead of whiffing shit at range 3 (2.7m approx according to DOA’s distance meter) when they’re holding 7. Run. Spam crouchdash. There are so many options to get rid of a turtle this game it’s ridiculous.

It’s being made out here that turtling is an unbeatable playstyle when it does more harm than good. Your enemy will back themselves into a danger zone at some point. While they move back you move forward.

Just go in. Run.

NightAntilli

in DOA the "advantage" is created by the fear of the mixup of continuing the string, delaying it, or free cancelling it. e.g. I dare you to press a button after my 6P which is minus on paper alone, but it can extend to 6PPPP
For that to work you have to be in range.

every 3D fighter has minus-on-hit lows, they're like chip damage, you got your tiny unreactable free damage now it's no longer your turn, it's not an absurd concept ¯\_(ツ)_/¯. And getting hit on NH by highs and mids while standing should never happen in the first place lol, but yeah they should still change them
So we agree.

turtling strong in DOA, are we playing the same game? This is DOA where throws are the fastest moves in the game and are unbreakable
And obviously once again you need to be in the opponent's face to do them, except for a the handful of characters that have throws or OHs for relatively 'long' distance.

run up and throw if you expect them to do nothing or run up and block if you expect them to do something
congratulations, you're in
Easier said than done. Not only is that a 50/50 guess, you're better off being the one letting the opponent do the closing in and keep them at bay using footsies, than being the one charging in. The safest thing is to run up and do an offensive hold if your character has it, which would win out against both a standing attack and blocking and a sidestep. Unless your opponent expects it and makes you eat a throw.

I'm not even kidding, just watch some high level play. That's how MASTER has been ending rounds for decades, that's how Rikuto has been getting in with his slow ass characters
You think I have no watched high level play? Even better, you think I am not a high level player? What a joke.
Master has Hayabusa. He can close the distance at any time in multiple ways, and safe ways.
As for Rikuto, he is not the one getting in most of the time by running in. He allows the opponent to come just close enough for his long range moves to be within range.

How things normally play out is;
a) The one running in whiffs and gets hit in the face.
b) The one running in uses an attack and is now in range of the opponent and at a disadvantage.
c) The one running in stands there and blocks afterwards, and nothing happens.
d) The one running in actually gets a hit/throw in

The odds are against the attacker.

Stop trying to make 7 sound overpowered. It's not going to happen, you're being silly, please stop
Many people don't like the truth. Holding a button (7) should not be superior to double tapping a button (back dash).

If you’re complaining about the bunk backdash, you’re not running in and you don’t know your ranges. It’s stupid and probably shouldn’t even exist but it’s not even close to being broken. Broken is
being able to sprint backwards with 44.
What's the difference? One has a weird animation, but ultimately both have the same effect as sprinting backwards.

Holding 7 is not and will never be broken lmfaoo do you want everything to just connect on hit or block? People are spacing well and whiff punishing you so it’s overpowered? You can run in and just do nothing. You don’t have to attack.
Holding 7 does not constitute as spacing well. But thanks for (accidentally) confirming that running in and attacking is too risky.

Some of you are reading frames on a string that’s half complete, seeing negative numbers and want to say it’s a risk, when you haven’t thought to consider the mixup/possibility of delaying the string, cancelling or completing it. Most of Zack’s moves are minus as shit on block but because there’s always a mixup he may as well be plus, as delayed strings and strings in general are completely uninterruptible for the most part.
Nothing to do with approaching long distance turtles, which is what we're talking about here.

As annoying turtles are, learn to use your engagement options instead of whiffing shit at range 3 (2.7m approx according to DOA’s distance meter) when they’re holding 7. Run. Spam crouchdash. There are so many options to get rid of a turtle this game it’s ridiculous.
Really? Running and spamming crouch dash are considered "many options" to get rid of a spacing turtle? There's a reason I liked Vanilla DOA5. Almost every character had a long distance move that left the attacker with + on block. That by itself made the game much much better, because attacking at a distance was no longer as huge a risk, and it allowed the game to have more flow.
And then everyone was nerfed....

It’s being made out here that turtling is an unbeatable playstyle when it does more harm than good. Your enemy will back themselves into a danger zone at some point. While they move back you move forward.

Just go in. Run.
No one said it's unbeatable. It is more rewarding than it should be, however. All they have to do is change some properties of long range attacks to be either +0 or up to +5 on block. That alone would make the game mechanics much more balanced.

crapoZK

Standard Donor
change some properties of long range attacks to be either +0 or up to +5 on block. That alone would make the game mechanics much more balanced.
Agree. I made a 27 page document about changing the way some moves act on block (and some other things) +5 may be a bit much though, but at least less minus for some pokes in neutral.

There’s a lot more that needs to be done than to just make moves safer on block to make the mechanics balanced.

What's the difference? One has a weird animation, but ultimately both have the same effect as sprinting backwards
The difference is that it’s mad hard to actually do like that and it’s unique to like 3 characters. What I’m saying is it shouldn’t be there. But if every single character could sprint backwards with just holding the back button after back dashing, that’s completely busted and I would see why it’s vexing. This one I can’t really defend because unless we see it working stupidly well at the highest level, it can be dealt with accordingly.
Really? Running and spamming crouch dash are considered "many options" to get rid of a spacing turtle? There's a reason I liked Vanilla DOA5. Almost every character had a long distance move that left the attacker with + on block. That by itself made the game much much better, because attacking at a distance was no longer as huge a risk, and it allowed the game to have more flow.
And then everyone was nerfed....
The many options are:

Running in
Crouch Dashing in
Using fairly safe engagement tools
Edging yourself closer to the opponent with freestepping
Rushing your opponent into a wall
Counter-turtling
Baiting whiffs
Whiffing yourself to spark flinches

I wasn’t going to list every single one of the options in the last response because I was expecting you to know the rest.

Though I will agree that DOA5V did have the best neutral by far next to DOA3.1. By FAR.
Holding 7 does not constitute as spacing well. But thanks for (accidentally) confirming that running in and attacking is too risky.
Someone who holds 7 all day isn’t going to win the match. It’s not as strong as it used to be unless it’s Lisa you’re fighting. Once you’re in against someone who’s “abusing” this it’s gonna be harder for them to get out. Spacing well means to use it when it’s necessary, or to hold 7 or 44_ after something that has high pushback on block to incite a whiff.

I’m not going to discuss confirming or accidentally confirming anything though because I previously showed the multiple ways to get in against a turtler without killing yourself.

It’s more an adaptation thing than it is a “change this now” thing. It was much worse in DOA5LR (Not saying it’s fine now)

EDIT: It’s just that imo, DOA6 has MUCH worse things to worry about changing than just the 7 button. Wrong thread to go into it tho.

Last edited:

NightAntilli

^Ok. I get you. I can see that we actually agree, mostly.

I agree that in DOA6 it has been toned down quite a bit, and, that is a good thing. The whole point of the thread was basically a complaint that this was nerfed. My argument is that it's a good thing that this was nerfed;

grap3fruitman

Standard Donor
what point are you trying to make? Because what I'm saying is:
30s = timer scamming is too strong
I know what you're saying and what I'm saying is your explanation contradicts your statement. 30s/40s is the actual sweet spot.

You: "zoning/spacing/turtling/playing keep-away is only rewarding on limited time,"
Translation: "high-level play is only rewarding on limited time."

infinite = timer scamming is too weak (non-existent)
60s = timer scamming is just right
60s and infinite time might as well be the same thing tbh. If you think timer scamming is so strong then the solution is to give characters actual tools to close space with. Right now only the ninjas can realistically manage space well imo

>online game petitions
200w.webp
Maybe "petition" wasn't the right word, you pedantic ass, but you know what I meant. :rolleyes:
These people complained about the lifebar and time in 5.0 and what happened? 5U increased the default health to 300hp from 240hp and the default time to 60s from 40s, which was the standard since 1999's DOA2.

If your argument is going to be "tHaT's HOw it'S aLWayS bEeN" then FU and change the lifebar/time back to how it was. ;P

I'm off topic though. Please feel free to move my post mods.

Boy do I hate whoever nerfed Diego's 6T.

or run up and block if you expect them to do something

How do you that without getting a mid-kick hold? Asking for a friend. lol it worked out in that clip so it's whatever but point still stands.

lol the score's like 2-10 so hardly
this was a legitimate complaint about not being able to forward dash and block in DOA any more (unlike 2ARC and 3)

Last edited:
ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD