Caderyn

Table of contents
  1. Introduction and Key
  2. General Strategy/Overview
  3. Pokes/Frame Advantage/Throws
  4. Basic Combo building
  5. Combo listing
  6. Links
Hitomi is lacking a thread which compiles all the info for players to use as a reference. Fellow FSD Hitomi players, let's correct this, and put together our knowledge and better our game. Also if there is anyone who can make this look prettier in anyway, tell me right away.

Introduction:
Hitomi is the karate user of DOA5LR. Her style is fairly straight forward, with no real noticeable strengths or weaknesses (compared to the rest of the cast) but is given all the right tools to be a solid all around character. Her juggles are simple and don't require high execution, she dishes out good damage, and her whiff punishing game is no joke.
As an Hitomi player, you will quickly realize that Hitomi will not win the fight for you, instead it is up to you to outplay, and outsmart your opponent.
In the right hands, Hitomi can blow her opponents away, but if you don't stay awake you'll lose just as fast.

So that we can have a hand dandy Hitomi guide/notes for all Hitomi mains to have, it would be appreciated if you can add info to this document for everyone to use. I have made a template for it but feel free to change it, edit it, etc. This is to help us all, and so that we can have access to info at all times.

https://www.evernote.com/shard/s424...e87d5023a73e/49083a8d766ad0be46a544d4ffd0db1e

Legend:

Numbers correspond to the position of the stick with 5 being neutral.
Thus, 6 is forward, 2 is down, and 7 is up back.
Just look at the number pad if you need help remembering.

Terms:
CH - Counter Hit
SE - Slow/Stagger Escape
CB! - Critical Burst
No Timing - Power Launcher combo that allows you to whiff a move for timing purposes

Strengths:
  • mid-high strike
  • juggle damage output
  • excellent knockback and keepout game
  • excellent wall damage
  • relatively strong throws
  • good tracking.

Weaknesses:
  • strings are easily crushable, and telegraphed
  • string delay-tick throw-CH game is unreliable
  • relatively slow launchers (besides 4H+K)
  • stuns aren't particularly deep
  • weak crushes
  • no tech crouching NH low stun
  • terrible low kick hold
  • 6T and 7H do not gurantee anything
  • very susceptible to OHs due to a lack of tech crouch moves besides 1P and 2P which aren't good enough

Last Round changes:
  • PPP: Damage changed from 25 to 28.
  • (PP)4PPP maximum charge: Changed to GB (+4).
  • 9PK: When hitting an aerial opponent, now causes refloat instead of knockdown.
  • 3P: Possible delay frames shortened.
  • 3PP: During the attack, fixed so that she is facing forward instead of back. Advantage on block changed from -5F to -3F.
  • 9KK: Damage changed from 23 to 25.
  • 3K: Advantage on block and normal hit changed from -10F to -11F.
  • 66K: Causes float when hitting a back-turned opponent.
  • 214KP (second hit): On counter hit and above, changed to bend over stun.
  • 3H+K: Frames changed from 20 (5) 25 to 22 (3) 25, Advantage on block changed from -4F to -7F.:(
  • Wall 7P+K: Added jump status (low attacks won’t hit) frames.
  • Wall 7H+K: Added jump status (low attacks won’t hit) frames.

Last edited:

Caderyn

She is an all rounder. The mistake many Hitomi players make is that they neglect her spacing tools in favor of a rushdown free cancel offense because it works extremely well online. Offline all of these Hitomi players would get blown up because Hitomi is not rushing anybody down with a 10 frame jab, 13 frame mid, and 14 frame low unless they are slower than her or the player has poor defense/string recognition. Those are mediocre strike speeds.

The proper way to rushdown with Hitomi is to do it when you pick up momentum from 2P, stuns and 6T/Parry. Playing off your opponents negative frames works as well. This way you mitigate the major flaw of some of her best pressure strings: They are easily crushed. Her free cancel and delay/throw game is still excellent here but it is nowhere near as abusive as it is online. Don't believe me you can try it on an experienced player then wonder why you couldn't get anything started.

Overview:
Hitomi is a character who doesn't rely on gimmicks, or any kind of overwhelming poweer, instead she is a solid character that relies on the player to make good decisions, and be able to adapt quickly. A wrong move could mean defeat, and solid play will lead you to victory. Hitomi isn't fast, but she isn't slow either. Hitomi is the definiton of a jack-of-all-trades character. Nothing is outstanding, but nothing is glaringly weak. To win with Hitomi, you have to know when to take a risk, and how to capitalize on every mistake. Because of this, you as a Hitomi player must win within the neutral game, and stay patient.

Neutral: (Hitomi's game plan when not pressing offense, or dealing with the opponent's pressure)

On offense: (Hitomi charging in and applying pressure)

On defense: (Ah snap, you guessed wrong now you gotta block. Hitomi on defense!

Last edited:

Caderyn

Pokes and strings:
More than anything else, having good footsies will help you win a game.
  • PP - Hitomi's standard jab. Fast(ish) at 10f. It has several follow ups, such as PP[P] which can cause a guard break, puts Hitomi at +8. P2K hits low, and PP[2]KK can cause a knockdown though extremely unsafe. PP6P can be free canceled into 6T or 33T. Following the K enders will leave Hitomi at -5, allowing her to KBD and buffer throw escape.
  • P6P - (10)(12) frame start up, and -6 on block. Can lead into 2P+K[P] which can guard break.
  • 6P - 13f start up, causes Critical Stun on CH. This is one of Hitomi's main tools. It causes a deep stun allowing her to either extend a stun with 3KP, or other strings, or go into a launcher. The follow ups (6PK, 6PK2K) can be free canceled into 6T/33T or allows Hitomi to press the offense.
  • 6K - 13f start up, causes Critical stun. While the stun isn't as deep as 6P, this string can be used to clip side steppers, or those who rely on Mid P holds. 6KKK bounds can be followed for a quick juggle. (PP6PK, PP6P2K).
  • 6H+K - 18f, tracks, and is only -2 on block. 6H+KK is -5 on block and hits high, while 6H+K2K hits low but is -17 on block. Landing 6H+K2K can allow Hitomi to dash and apply pressure. As with every tool of Hitomi's by mindful when using 6H+K, and don't rely on it.
  • 9P - 15f, hits high, and causes critical stun. Unsafe at -10, but has decent rage and is a good starter. Nothing more than that. 9PK launches.
  • 4P - 19f, hits mid, and tracks. Causes critical stun. 4PP[P] is -3 on block, while 4PPK is -5. Aside from that, 4P should be used to clip side steppers, and for initial stun.
  • P+K - natural combo, hits mid. Can be used to extend a critical combo. -6 on block, P+KP[P] causes a guard break and grants +3 when fully charged.
  • 3KP - (14)(16) start up. Mainly used to extend stuns, 3KP[P] can cause guard break when fully charged giving Hitomit +8 frame advantage. The 3KP string can lead into 4P, or go low.
  • 7P - 11f start up, can also go into 2P+K. Nothing special aside from that. Can be used to extend a stun, or Post 6T.
  • 46P - 12f, and an excellent whiff punisher. -9 on block, so use sparingly.
  • 236P - 15f and Hitomi's other whiff punisher. -9 on block, and has slightly more range than 46P. Can be used after bounds as an ender.
  • 9HP - 20f start up. Reaches very far, and can catch an opponent off guard, using sparingly.
  • 9HK - 13f, causes critical stun, and launches on CH. Grants +21 frame advantage in critical stun allowing Hitomi to do whatever she wants. If it launches you can get a short juggle with PP6PK, PP6P2K, P+KPP, and 6KKK.
    An example of what you can do after crit stun: 9HK, 214P, 3P, 6P+K, (CB!)
  • 214K - 15f causes critical stun. Can be used in combo or to catch an opponent off guard. Nothing too special, but "quick" enough to warrant a mention.
  • 236K - () knocks down, and hits high. Quite possibly Hitomi's most powerful tool. Extremely safe on block. Extremely difficult for opponents to punish it, even with a hold. Not a bad idea to use this move, or any string that ends it.
  • 1P - 15f. Crushes high. Not too fast, but can be used to dodge throws and gain a critical stun on CH versus throws.
Guard Breaks: Hitomi has a few strings that end with guard breaks. Working these into your game can allow Hitomi to press the offense more, bait your opponent to make a mistake/mis hold, or give yourself some space.
  • 4P+K- +6 ~ +21(fully charged)
  • 66H+K - +3
  • PP[P] - +8
  • 3KP[P] - +8
  • 2P+K[P] - +8
  • P+KP[P] - +3
  • (Near wall) 7P+K - +7
  • (Near wall) 7H+K - +6
Other Stuns: These moves/strings cause limbo, sit down, or bend over stuns. Frame advantage will also be listed.
  • 236P: Sit Down
  • 8K: Sit Down
  • 46K: Turn around stun
  • 6H+K: on BT
  • 6P+K limbo stun on BT
Tracking: Within Hitomi's strings there are tracking moves which can be used to clip side steppers. Examples being:
  • PP4P
  • 6PP
  • 7P P+K
  • 66P2K
  • 6PK (retracks)
  • P+K(second punch will hit on a SS attack).
Post 6T tracking options are:
  • H+K
  • 6H+K
  • 4P
  • 2P+K
  • 2H+K

Hasai (6T) and 33T
When Hitomi isn't punching the opponent, and baiting out holds with her delayed strings, she can punish her opponents for relying on holds and blocking with Hasai (6T).

What is Hasai? and why should I care?
Unlike some of the other DOA5LR cast, Hitomi's throws do not cause BT, or launch the opponent. However, Hitomi's 6T is indeed special in that it grants Hitomi a +10 frame advantage. In FG lingo, that means Hitomi can do whatever she wants after landing 6T. By conditioning your opponent to respect 6T, you can blow open their guard, punish hold attempts, and apply pressure.

** Keep in mind that the opponent can duck under 6T, throw escape it, or strike you out of it. You must condition your opponent to stay standing, and to respect the Post-Hasai mix up. Use 6T wisely, and don't carelessly throw it out. Use it with purpose!

Free canceling into 6T:
(additional notes)
On block:

:P:, :6::H+P:
:6::P:, :6::H+P:
:4::P:, :6::H+P:
:P::P::6::P:, :6::H+P:
:P::P::6::K:, :6::H+P:
:P+K:, :6::H+P:
:1::K::6::P:, :6::H+P:
:6::K:, :6::H+P:
:3::K::P:, :6::H+P:
:9::P:, :6::H+P:

On CH
:3::K::K:, :6::H+P:
:6::K::K:, :3::3::H+P:
:2::H+K:, :3::3::H+P:
:1::P:, :3::3::H+P:
:6::P:, :1::K::P:, :3::3::H+P:
:6::P:, :8::P:, :3::3::H+P:
:6::P:, :6::K::K:, :3::3::H+P:
:P::K:, :3::3::H+P:
:3::K::P::6::P:, :6::H+P:
:3::K::P::6::K::K:, :6::H+P:

Post-Hasai Mix up(Post 6T mix up)
(Some notes on what Hitomi can do after landing 6T. These options include doing 6T again, a critical combo, etc)

Last edited:

Caderyn

Combos and Juggles:
With the freestyle way DOA has its combo system, this section will be divided up by:
  • Starter
  • Critical Combo
  • Launcher
  • Juggle
  • Enders
These are pieces of Hitomi's combos and combining them will give you an idea of how to get maximum damage with Hitomi

Starters: The initial hit that puts your opponent in critical stun. Input: Speed / Hit level / Frame Advantage on hit *Frame advantage is with fastest SE.
  • 9P: 15f / High / +28
  • 4PP: 19(15)f / Mid / +17
  • 6P: 13f / Mid / +20 CH
  • 6K: 13f / Mid / +13 ~14 (spaced)
  • P6PP: 10(12)(15) / +26
  • 66KK: 16(16)f / Mid / +11
  • 2P+K: 18f / Mid / +16
  • 7PP: 11(15)f/ High / +22 CH
Critical Combos: The critical combo extends the stun closer to the critical threshold. These are examples of what you can do and are not the only ones to use. As you become better with Hitomi you'll learn how to mix up in this section stun. (Also, please submit more!)
  • 3KP, 2P+K
  • 3KP, 6P,
  • 6PK, 214P, 3P
Launchers:Start up / Hit level / Input
* Hitomi's Power Launcher is best used after a Critical Burst
  • 14f / High/ 4H+K - puts Hitomi in BT.
  • 15f /High/ 7K -
  • 17f /Mid/ 9K -
  • 19f /Mid/ 33P - Able to crush highs if you crouch dash, but no reliable.
  • 24f /High/ 8H+K - Crushes low
  • 31~35f/ Mid/ 33P+K - Hitomi's power launcher
  • 32f /High/ 66H+K - Crushes low, and causes guard break.
Juggle enders: Timing and application of each juggle ender will vary between weight classes, positioning, and launcher used. Experiment and test which best suit you and for which character.
  • PP6PK - Works on the majority of the cast, and sends the opponent flying.
  • PP6P2K - Mostly for heavy/super heavy weight characters.
  • PP4PPP - Works on the majority of the cast and gives great damage.
  • 4KK, PP6PK - PP6PK can be replaced with PP6P2K depending on weight class.
  • 4KPPP - Generally used near a wall.
  • 8PK6PK
  • 8P6P2K
  • 4KK, 6KKK
  • 4KK, 4KPPP - against super light weights

Power Launcher: Juggles to use after scoring a power launcher

No Timing:
  • 4(K)K, 4KK, PP6PK
  • 4H, 4KK, PP4PPP
  • 4(K)K, 4KK, 66KKK
  • 6T, 4KK, PP4PPP
  • 6T, 4KK, PP4PPP
  • PH, 33P, 4KK, PP4PPP
No Timing (Wall):
  • 4H, 4KK, PP4PPP
  • 6T, 4KK, PP4PPP
  • 4(K)K, 4KK, 8PK6PK
  • PH, 9K, 4KK, PP6PK
  • PH, 33P, 4KK, PP4PPP

Timed:
  • 4(K)K, 4KK, PP4PPP
  • 33P, 4KK, PP4PPP

Enders: For when you wish to end the combo in a knock down, send your opponent into a danger zone, get enviromental damage, or keep certain positioning.
  • 2H+K
  • 3H+K
  • 236P
  • 1P+K (Power Blow)
Against BT opponents:
  • (to be filled later)
After 46 H:
  • 4KK, PP6PK
  • 4KK, PP6P2K

Sample Combos for you practice!: Some basic Bnb, and other combos to practice when starting out with Hitomi.
  • 6P, 33P, PP6PK
  • 6P, 3KP, 9K, PP4PPP
  • 6P, 3KP, 6P+K (CB!) 214P (B!) 66KKK
  • 9P, 214P, 3P, 6P+K (CB!) 33P, 4KK, 4KPPP (Super Light weights only)
  • 8H+K, P+KPP

Caderyn

I have added a link to a note I made on evernote for us to edit, and use. Its tough for me to come back and edit this thread, so I'm hoping through this evernote we can collaborate on the go,and while we play. Hopefully, I'll be able to edit this thread as we add more to the evernote.

But let's start the discussion. What should we say are Hitomi's true strengths and weaknesses, especially in LR?

Saber

Strengths: mid-high strike and juggle damage output, excellent knockback and keepout game, excellent wall damage, relatively strong throws, good tracking.

Weaknesses: strings are easily crushable, string delay-tick throw-CH game is unreliable because her strings are slow and telegraphed, relatively slow launchers (besides 4H+K), stuns aren't particularly deep, weak crushes, no tech crouching NH low stun, terrible low kick hold, 6T and 7H are still resets and doesn't guarantee anything, no OHs, 3H+K used to be one of her best tools but now sucks because it's unsafe, very susceptible to OHs due to a lack of tech crouch moves besides 1P and 2P which aren't good enough...

For a jack of all trades, she sure has a lot of weaknesses.

Caderyn

Strengths: mid-high strike and juggle damage output, excellent knockback and keepout game, excellent wall damage, relatively strong throws, good tracking.

Weaknesses: strings are easily crushable, string delay-tick throw-CH game is unreliable because her strings are slow and telegraphed, relatively slow launchers (besides 4H+K), stuns aren't particularly deep, weak crushes, no tech crouching NH low stun, terrible low kick hold, 6T and 7H are still resets and doesn't guarantee anything, no OHs, 3H+K used to be one of her best tools but now sucks because it's unsafe, very susceptible to OHs due to a lack of tech crouch moves besides 1P and 2P which aren't good enough...

For a jack of all trades, she sure has a lot of weaknesses.

I've seen it as Hitomi being similar to Ryu in SF or Ky in GG. She is straightforward, and does pretty good damage, but at the cost of everything else being kind of meh. At least, having decent fundamentals can help make up for it.

Raansu

I've seen it as Hitomi being similar to Ryu in SF or Ky in GG. She is straightforward, and does pretty good damage, but at the cost of everything else being kind of meh. At least, having decent fundamentals can help make up for it.

Honestly if she just had some of her tools from 3.1 and DoA4 she'd be great. +1 on 3h+k and her old OH from 4 and 6h+p being +15 on hi counter throw. Also, am I the only one that misses the old SS kick from vanilla 5? I skipped ultimate then came back for LR and was surprised to see they changed it to a mid kick.

Saber

That SS kick was one of her best whiff punishment tools, and best moves overall. It was safe and guaranteed a lot of shit provided you were in open stance.

I can see how it could be abusable considering how easy it was to access it, but that move was still darn good.

Raansu

That SS kick was one of her best whiff punishment tools, and best moves overall. It was safe and guaranteed a lot of shit provided you were in open stance.

I can see how it could be abusable considering how easy it was to access it, but that move was still darn good.

It had its drawbacks though. I'm just confused on why it was changed. Did they feel the old SSK was being underused or something? I mean it was an incredibly situational kick but I still preferred it over the new mid kick one. *shrug* oh well.

chuankaimah

wait after reading so much, is she good for a beginner like me? Cos I started with her and decided to choose her to major in first lol.

Raansu

wait after reading so much, is she good for a beginner like me? Cos I started with her and decided to choose her to major in first lol.

Ehhhh I wouldn't call her a beginner character. I mean she's really easy to use input wise, but mechanically she's not as strong as most of the cast so she requires a lot more focus to win with. Your neutral game has to be really strong and making mistakes with her is a lot more punishment than a lot of other characters. Everything she does that gives advantage typically leads into reset situations so basically she has pretty much no real guaranteed damage threats and lacks any real strong crushes.

Most of her tools are easy to deal with. Hell her low sweeps that leave her +5 on hit can actually be slow escaped and leave her a -1. She has a lot of tools with potential, but they are all pretty flawed in the grand scheme of things when you look at the rest of the cast and you have to work twice as hard to win fights with her. So no, I wouldn't recommend her for a beginner. Hell even top players wont use her in tournaments.

Not to say all is lost. She's fun to play and if you're dead set on using her, just know its a bit of an uphill fight and you have to approach her as a spacing character that emphasizes whiff punishment and to knock back the opponent into the wall as some of her best damage comes from the wall game. She also has an abundance of safe tracking moves. Those are her main strengths. She's not a striker but many people play her as such unfortunately.

RubinRoon

What do you guys use to tech force opponents? Currently im using 2h+k but i dont think thats a good idea. Also, are there any FT set ups, hard knock downs or is it better to just wall carry?

Raansu

What do you guys use to tech force opponents? Currently im using 2h+k but i dont think thats a good idea. Also, are there any FT set ups, hard knock downs or is it better to just wall carry?

Hitomi's low's are too slow to have any reliable FT without sacrificing a ton of damage. I just go for the 2p down attack or back away for whiff punishment. If you can get them to the wall, always choose the wall over anything. She does so much wall damage its not even funny. That's literally where she shines the most.

Lulu

So basicly shes like Jean Kujo from Final Showdown.
Except he doesn't celebrate by declaring: "My tits are on Fire !" Which is a shame really.

iHajinShinobi

Standard Donor

I will give an okizeme set up for the wall. There are two types of walls in DOA5, full wall, and half wall. A stage such as Sky City Tokyo has full walls, these are walls where after being slammed hard or juggled on the wall, you will slowly fall down off the wall and onto the ground. The amount of advantage is more on full walls than it is on a half wall.

A stage such as Arrival has half walls, these are walls where after being slammed hard or juggled on the wall, you fall forward off the wall immediately onto the ground. The amount of advantage is less than full walls.

When I say the amount of advantage, I refer to the amount of frames it fully takes for the opponent character to fall onto the ground. Advantage is mentioned because that is where the amount of frames are detailed.

A simple set up for full walls;

PP2K

The above can be done after a PP6PK or 8P2K6PK wall combo. If PP2K hits and the opponent techs up, you will be at +25 frame advantage. If they tech up and the low whiffs, they have to block low or get knocked down. If you stop at PP, knowing the opponent will tech up on read, you'll be at +20 frame advantage. If your 2K low connects and the opponent doesn't tech up, you can use another ground hit to force them up and be at frame advantage.

A simple set up for half walls;

8P2K

The above can be done after a PP6PK or 8P2K6PK wall combo. If 8P2K hits the opponent techs up, you will be at +27 frame advantage. If they tech up the low whiffs, they will have to deal with 8P2K's string mix up. If you stop at 8P, knowing the opponent will tech up on read, you'll be at +9 frame advantage. If your 2K low connects and the opponent doesn't tech up, you can use another ground hit to force them up and be at frame advantage.

What do these do, exactly? First of all, they eliminate the WUK (wake up kick) completely, your opponent does not have any time to lay on the floor. If they do, they are getting hit.

Secondly, you are in control, you force opponents to act fast and you can retain momentum and pressure from simply taking advantage of the ground game because almost every player playing DOA is really afraid of being forced off the ground. So instead of getting up and simply blocking, they will hit buttons or guess during oki.

Lastly, you get to see the opponent's behavioral pattern during oki. For example, if I know the opponent will tech up often (or always), then I will just whiff jab or PP and do something like 4P+K or 66H+K as they get up. More frame advantage if they actually block, a knock back or ground bounce if they press a weird button.

RubinRoon

Thanks for the detailed response!

I would prefer an oki set up over a wall game as well, thats why I was wondering if hitomi had something "midscreen" so to speak. Like for example marie rose`s 6k2k juggle ender, which allows you to actually react to your opponent teching, since they have to immediately or eat a free 3h+k for huge advantage.

I guess, considering hitomi`s insane wall carry juggles and those wall oki set ups you just mentioned, she is probably ment to be played environmentally.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD