Hitomi Q&A

Raansu

Has anyone figured out any unholdables with Hitomi?

Nothing really worth going for.

46k spins them around but its distance depends on open/closed stance so its not really reliable and has limited options.

214p you can get 6p,3p,6k and at max threshold 6k will launch them for a small juggle with 6kkk. If they don't slow escape you could get 9k but its easy to SE that stun so its not really worth the risk.

8k gives a free 6p but meh.

Jiraiya-Sama2390

Nothing really worth going for.

46k spins them around but its distance depends on open/closed stance so its not really reliable and has limited options.

214p you can get 6p,3p,6k and at max threshold 6k will launch them for a small juggle with 6kkk. If they don't slow escape you could get 9k but its easy to SE that stun so its not really worth the risk.

8k gives a free 6p but meh.

Goddammit.....

Flip_Crazy

Hey all, short time lurker, first time poster :)

So, I picked up DoA5 Last Round and it is just awesome. I have loved this franchise since I first played DoA3 on the XBox, and have since owned every game except 4. And I've always loved Hitomi's character. She's always had a great, direct approach. But I'm completely stuck now. I've never been great at this game. Heck, I've never been good against other people, just the computer...that says nothing, I know.

So I've been training with Hitomi, and using other characters to just build an understanding of the game's system and I'm getting a grasp of it. I understand the triangle system, I can do holds, throws, strikes, and all that good stuff. I get how stuns work, critical burst and all that. But I do have a few questions.

First off...stuns. I find a lot of Hitomi's attacks CAN stun opponents...but I have a harder time keeping them stunned. Most of my stuns seem to wear off before my follow ups connect. Are there specific stun attacks / strings I should be using? I assume I cannot just stun with anything and hope for the best, huh?

Also, a lot of people talk about using PP(P) and releasing at max charge for the safest hit, as it gives a frame advantage on block. I get that...my problem is whenever I connect and they do block...they're out of reach for me to follow up. Any help on that one?

And then this one is a bit more general. Does anyone have any advice for when an opponent is just demolishing you with combos? It seems I get stun locked HARD and cannot get out no matter what I do. I hold block, I try to hold, I try side stepping...and all the while they just beat me down mercilessly.

One more...this is generally about frame advantage. I just want to ensure I get this one down. Let's say I am at +5 frame advantage after a blocked hit. This basically means that now...rather than having to use a 9 frame poke to beat out a 13 frame kick from my opponent I can use a 15 frame attack, because my opponent now has an 18 frame attack (13 frame kick + 5 frame's my advantage). Is that it?

Last question (for today...) is this: How do magnets work?

Raansu

First off...stuns. I find a lot of Hitomi's attacks CAN stun opponents...but I have a harder time keeping them stunned. Most of my stuns seem to wear off before my follow ups connect. Are there specific stun attacks / strings I should be using? I assume I cannot just stun with anything and hope for the best, huh?

She has a few strong stuns (3p+k, 3p,9p 3k on counter hit, etc....) but she doesn't really excel at the stun game. She can do it decently well, but her priority is whiff punishment and pressure with tracking strikes. 6h+p leaves you at +7 and Hitomi has two solid tracking attacks that are completely safe on block (6h+k, and h+k) and a pretty decent high crush (3p+k). The high crush is -9 on block if you don't do the second part of the string so if you were hoping for them to jab out or something and they blocked instead your best bet is to do the second punch of 3p+k and charge it for the guard break. Only downside is its pretty easy to counter that charged punch.

Basically you want to use good spacing, push them away with 46p,236p and 3h+k. Annoy them with the 2h+k low sweeps and do your best to corner them into a wall. Hitomi is very deadly when she has you pinned to a wall.

Also, a lot of people talk about using PP(P) and releasing at max charge for the safest hit, as it gives a frame advantage on block. I get that...my problem is whenever I connect and they do block...they're out of reach for me to follow up. Any help on that one?

You don't get any followups on it unfortunately. Nor do you get any on any of the guard breaks she has. They are just used to create pressure and allow you to stay on the offensive. You get nothing guaranteed off of them.

And then this one is a bit more general. Does anyone have any advice for when an opponent is just demolishing you with combos? It seems I get stun locked HARD and cannot get out no matter what I do. I hold block, I try to hold, I try side stepping...and all the while they just beat me down mercilessly.

Well, you can slow escape (hold block and rotate the d-pad). It helps lower stun thresholds some and you can avoid a bunch of sit down stuns and light stuns. Doesn't do too much if you're in a heavy stun but it still helps a little. The rest just comes with time and practice. Gotta learn the other characters strings, which ones are faster than yours, what hit level, are they safe on block or unsafe etc...

One more...this is generally about frame advantage. I just want to ensure I get this one down. Let's say I am at +5 frame advantage after a blocked hit. This basically means that now...rather than having to use a 9 frame poke to beat out a 13 frame kick from my opponent I can use a 15 frame attack, because my opponent now has an 18 frame attack (13 frame kick + 5 frame's my advantage). Is that it?

More or less that's pretty much it.

Last question (for today...) is this: How do magnets work?

Uhhhh......

Like this?

tumblr_mtcddasjvi1s96utdo1_400_by_jamesbutlin-d6uyktc.gif

Flip_Crazy

Dude...you're awesome. Thank you very much for the info! It seems I've been playing Hitomi a little wrong this whole time. It's gonna take a lot of getting used to, but I'm now breaking the habit of trying to use her as a rush down character like Kasumi or Hyabusa. I've had a lot of luck just switching to keeping her at a range from her opponents (about half a screen or so) and baiting them to rush in and nailing them on the approach, or trying to get them to wiff an attack. Slow going, but I think I'll get it down.

Out of interest is there anyone on this board who wouldn't mind adding me (or visa versa) on X-Box Live for some fun lobby matches to help me learn Hitomi better? It would be greatly appreciated.

Raansu

Unfortunately I don't have a 360 anymore. I do have core fighters installed on my x1 though, so if you have that you can add me if you like. I don't play my x1 as much as my ps4 though so your best bet would be to message me on here to set a time to make a lobby.

Edit:

Oh an its not necessarily "wrong" to play Hitomi like a rush character. She's not as fast as some characters but she can get away with it against certain characters and if the player can't handle that kind of pace. Its just knowing when to do it. Its not something she excels at, but she can do well with it if played right.

Against someone who's very good on the defensive end though, you would have a bit of trouble, mostly due to lack of strong neutral stuns, especially low attacks as she has none that stun on neutral. At that point you'd want to back off and be a bit more conservative. Primarily though her strength is at playing the mid range game and pushing the opponent into a wall where she can really hurt you.

UncleBiscuits79

She has a few strong stuns (3p+k, 3p,9p 3k on counter hit, etc....) but she doesn't really excel at the stun game. She can do it decently well, but her priority is whiff punishment and pressure with tracking strikes. 6h+p leaves you at +7 and Hitomi has two solid tracking attacks that are completely safe on block (6h+k, and h+k) and a pretty decent high crush (3p+k). The high crush is -9 on block if you don't do the second part of the string so if you were hoping for them to jab out or something and they blocked instead your best bet is to do the second punch of 3p+k and charge it for the guard break. Only downside is its pretty easy to counter that charged punch.

Basically you want to use good spacing, push them away with 46p,236p and 3h+k. Annoy them with the 2h+k low sweeps and do your best to corner them into a wall. Hitomi is very deadly when she has you pinned to a wall.

You don't get any followups on it unfortunately. Nor do you get any on any of the guard breaks she has. They are just used to create pressure and allow you to stay on the offensive. You get nothing guaranteed off of them.

Well, you can slow escape (hold block and rotate the d-pad). It helps lower stun thresholds some and you can avoid a bunch of sit down stuns and light stuns. Doesn't do too much if you're in a heavy stun but it still helps a little. The rest just comes with time and practice. Gotta learn the other characters strings, which ones are faster than yours, what hit level, are they safe on block or unsafe etc...

More or less that's pretty much it.

Uhhhh......

Like this?

tumblr_mtcddasjvi1s96utdo1_400_by_jamesbutlin-d6uyktc.gif
Good info, but just want to correct one point that you made. The 6T (6H+P) throw gives a +10 frame advantage, not +7. This makes a REAL difference, because you can use moves that are slower, but have tracking. This is vitally important for people who like to sidestep you after you land that throw. If someone keeps doing that to you, you can use 6H+K or 2P+K. Both are great because the track and stun on normal hit, and with both having i18 startup, You will still outstrike any character in the game after you land that throw (if they try to attack at a disadvantage that is). That throw is vital to Hitomi's game!

Last edited:

UncleBiscuits79

Dude...you're awesome. Thank you very much for the info! It seems I've been playing Hitomi a little wrong this whole time. It's gonna take a lot of getting used to, but I'm now breaking the habit of trying to use her as a rush down character like Kasumi or Hyabusa. I've had a lot of luck just switching to keeping her at a range from her opponents (about half a screen or so) and baiting them to rush in and nailing them on the approach, or trying to get them to wiff an attack. Slow going, but I think I'll get it down.

Out of interest is there anyone on this board who wouldn't mind adding me (or visa versa) on X-Box Live for some fun lobby matches to help me learn Hitomi better? It would be greatly appreciated.
Hi There. I main Hitomi, and I wouldn't mind going a couple rounds with you. Would be a good learning experience for both of us, as NO ONE can ever know everything about Hitomi :)

I will add you if that's ok.

Raansu

Good info, but just want to correct one point that you made. The 6T (6H+P) throw gives a +10 frame advantage, not +7. This makes a REAL difference, because you can use moves that are slower, but have tracking. This is vitally important for people who like to sidestep you after you land that throw. If someone keeps doing that to you, you can use 6H+K or 2P+K. Both are great because the track and stun on normal hit, and with both having i18 startup, You will still outstrike any character in the game after you land that throw. That throw is vital to Hitomi's game!

LOL my bad. I've been playing Honoka. I got her bear hug throw stuck in my head.

Flip_Crazy

Hi There. I main Hitomi, and I wouldn't mind going a couple rounds with you. Would be a good learning experience for both of us, as NO ONE can ever know everything about Hitomi :)

I will add you if that's ok.
Please, feel free to add me and hit me up anytime you see me on for a game, I'd be happy to!

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD