How would you improve Eliot in DOA5U?

DontForkWitMe

In response to Eliot on twitter

1. DOATEC T.V ‏@_VirtuaTEC_6h
    @TeamNINJAStudio @shimbori_x You guys nerfed Eliot, a character who was already lacking, I hope in the final build hes improved

2. しんぼり ‏@shimbori_x42m
    @_VirtuaTEC_ Too early to talk about balancing. Wait until release date. I have a projection people talk about it from person to person.

I'm going to take this as a sign of final hope. Although I couldn't understand the last sentence.

always expect the worst when it comes to TN balancing eliot. the tweet seems more like a general response to all potential complaints they know they're going to get about changes to characters than actual confirmation of any buffs. unless he gets an 11 frame mid, vastly impoved mix up game with lows that cause stun on NH, guaranteed launchers from parries and guaranteed sitdown setups nothing less will make up for these nerfs

Last edited:

David Gregg

always expect the worst when it comes to TN balancing eliot. the tweet seems more like a general response to all potential complaints they know they're going to get about changes to characters than actual confirmation of any buffs. unless he gets an 11 frame mid, vastly impoved mix up game with lows that cause stun on NH, guaranteed launchers from parries and guaranteed sitdown setups nothing less will make up for these nerfs

Agreed. I'm already working with what little I have in 5 now he almost has nothing. If Xcaliburbladez could barely scrape by with a 3 round win against a rachel (with a player I'm sure is just now learning to use her) I fear 5 is the last game I main Eliot. :(

Belinea

I wonder how they knew to nerf h+k into 6p+k. I've barely seen it mentioned around here, and it's not like there's a lot of Eliot players around to showcase his set-ups. I doubt TN did it just to make Eliot worse, as I doubt they knew it existed in the first place. I suspect they changed a lot of things just to say that they did, without fully understanding the consequences it would cause.

6h+k being unsafe kinda sucks the big one, but I love that he has a mid tracking kick. Still though, I'm hoping there's more going on with him than what we can see. I'm still hopeful.

synce

'y u guys nerf 1 move in early build? my character is ruined!!!!1" Did anyone even try any new setups? There's a whole new bound system but all I saw on the stream was vanilla DOA5 play.

Also I think there was like 1 maybe 2 Eliot matches all day

TakedaZX

I wonder how they knew to nerf h+k into 6p+k. I've barely seen it mentioned around here, and it's not like there's a lot of Eliot players around to showcase his set-ups. I doubt TN did it just to make Eliot worse, as I doubt they knew it existed in the first place. I suspect they changed a lot of things just to say that they did, without fully understanding the consequences it would cause.

6h+k being unsafe kinda sucks the big one, but I love that he has a mid tracking kick. Still though, I'm hoping there's more going on with him than what we can see. I'm still hopeful.
He does have a tracking mid kick. I looks awkward and doesn't have much ranged. Doesn't seem to have much mix-up value. I imagined him having one that looks like Hitomi's 6H+K but chains into 4P mix-ups sorta like 1K~ and 1P. (So 1PP2K/1K4P, BT 2K = (if 4K is the input for the kick), 4KP2K).

Also I saw all version BT 2K tracking, but I don't think the did it...The H+K think sucks but... you know I'm gunna see what TN has in store for us.

David Gregg

'y u guys nerf 1 move in early build? my character is ruined!!!!1" Did anyone even try any new setups? There's a whole new bound system but all I saw on the stream was vanilla DOA5 play.

Also I think there was like 1 maybe 2 Eliot matches all day

Nerfing 2 important moves for Eliot is like taking a cane away from a cripple. And you're right we haven't seen really anything (since no one used him apparently) but from what I saw he is a downgraded vanilla version.

kazenouta

Damn actually i was studying those days and i connect only a few time so i didn't read this post. today pokerking said that they nerf eliot when we are playng on a lobby. I found my ball rolling on the floor. Jeez you have a lot of char to nerf why eliot that need a buff instead. What are you drinking? Mushroom juice maybe? Xo i'm shocked!!

U_C_A_F

Should still be able to k+h 6k+h

nope opponents can recover from the stun before 6H+K connects. pretty BS that TN removed my two main setups for eliot with H+K into 6P+K into guaranteed juggle that does around 45% damage and his i9 causing a shitty shallow stun on counter hit that he can't follow up with anything where before i could use it to cause a deep stun that kept them guessing on what i'd follow up with. They really do enjoy treating him like garbage apparently

TakedaZX

nope opponents can recover from the stun before 6H+K connects. pretty BS that TN removed my two main setups for eliot with H+K into 6P+K into guaranteed juggle that does around 45% damage and his i9 causing a shitty shallow stun on counter hit that he can't follow up with anything. They really do enjoy treating him like garbage apparently
On CH it's fine for it to be shallow because it's still frame advantage, but on HCH or in stun? That's garbage, it needs to retain that deep stun in those cases so you can still play stun game with it, and with the slight frame advantage you can play throw shenanigans.

What's the verdict on 2h+k? Did they drop the stun?

Do BT 2K, 4P2K, and 1PP2K track now? They should. It should be mandatory.

U_C_A_F

On CH it's fine for it to be shallow because it's still frame advantage, but on HCH or in stun? That's garbage, it needs to retain that deep stun in those cases so you can still play stun game with it, and with the slight frame advantage you can play throw shenanigans.

What's the verdict on 2h+k? Did they drop the stun?

Do BT 2K, 4P2K, and 1PP2K track now? They should. It should be mandatory.

i don't agree, the frame advantage he gets knocks them to far back to even take advantage of it .it should definitely still cause deep stun on CH. the move has incredibly short range and is still easily crushable so making it even weaker is pretty bs. Eliot is a slow character overall with his fastest standing mid being i14. his i9 was all he had to put a stop to rushdown characters and turn the tide in his favor to initiate his stun game now he can't even do that anymore with it. He seriously needs SOME sort of compensation or he is screwed

Last edited:

TakedaZX

Look man, I want him to be as good as he deserves to be as well. They didn't do him justice at all as far as we know, but I'm being realistic. 7P is a move designed to push his opponent off of him when he's being over pressured. Yes I'd LOVE for it to retain its stun but as a 9i move, I can see why they would reduce it. That doesn't mean I like it, so don't get me twisted.

In reality he only deserved buffs like tracking added, a real mid kick tracking move that's useful in the stun game, a guaranteed damage increase (increase parry advantage by 1 so that 66P and 8P become guaranteed so he has a deep stun for low damage or a strong damage stun with low advantage an wall splat potential). Maybe even tracking on raw 3P+K only... but anything would've been better than now.

KidArk

I say the same thing about his master, no one even talks about Gen Fu but they specifically targeted all my set ups and systematically broke them down? Now i'm back to doa 3 gen fu without the low parries and an unsafe crush game and an unsafe tracking game. Cool , but everyone continues to call him broken(even though they've never spent anytime with him in the lab), I think it's time for them to remove him and eliot from the game or combine them into one GOOD character instead of just hurting people who actually use them. I was really looking forward to Eliot x Fu as one of my tag teams .

KidArk

....People thought Fu was broken?

LIKE YOU WOULDN'T BELIEVE
Anytime someone would say oh this character could use x , or y and i'd say oh man gen fu could use a tracking mid kick, people would go nuts on me <_< and say all he needs are debuffs. I've never heard anyone say he could use anything but debuffs.
BUT I DIGRESS THIS IS AN ELIOT PAGE # BUFF ELIOT

Zeo

LIKE YOU WOULDN'T BELIEVE
Anytime someone would say oh this character could use x , or y and i'd say oh man gen fu could use a tracking mid kick, people would go nuts on me <_< and say all he needs are debuffs. I've never heard anyone say he could use anything but debuffs.
BUT I DIGRESS THIS IS AN ELIOT PAGE # BUFF ELIOT
I don't really think he needed any buffs. But he doesn't need nerfs either, he's fine how he is imo.

He can't hold a candle to Eliot though, that guy deserves buffs more than every other character in the game and funnily enough he's gotten some of the worst nerfs so far. It's astounding.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD