DOA5U "I have no choice, but to fight!" Kasumi's Gameplay DOA5U discussion

PMS_Akali

ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ
Premium Donor
I like 66P and and 3P+K myself. I honestly wouldn't touch 6H+K other than to punish a whiff or add into a combo. It's so risky that most people can punish it even with slow reflexes.

Soaring Zero

Would someone be so kind as to share some advice on the Helena matchup? I am somewhat ashamed to say that I absolutely suck at it.

Tenryuga

Would someone be so kind as to share some advice on the Helena matchup? I am somewhat ashamed to say that I absolutely suck at it.

Helena can be quite annoying to face as Kasumi due to the BKO stance that ducks mids. The thing about Kasumi is that her most of her mids have an ass hitbox or are not true mids so Helena can negate a good amount of her pressure while she is in the BKO stance and is making good use of the BKO duck.

Regardless Kasumi still has the speed advantage in this fight. Use 2P ANY time you see Helena is in BKO. Your mid to low strings and high to low strings help here because they track, grant frame advantage and will hit Helena in BKO. Once you have Helena standing keep the majority of your pressure mid based. Helena is loaded with high crushes and some of these even crush Kasumi's fastest mid. Nonetheless you are Kasumi and as such you are bound to her mid punches. Do not be afraid to abuse them in this matchup whether they get held or crushed. If you can mitigate Helena's usage of her crushes and BKO the match will be much more manageable albeit still a nuisance.

Btw I see you are on PSN? Give me an add. I main Ein now and mained Kasumi in vanilla 5 so it would be nice to have some Kasumi players on my list to get practice in the Ein vs Kasumi matchup as well as mirror matches.

Soaring Zero

Alright thanks. I've been trying to keep myself from going for highs against her because those crushes ruin my day lol. I have started using 2P more against her and it does help a lot for dealing with BKO. I've also noticed that I've been able to low throw her after blocking that low kick that puts her in BKO stance. I'm not sure if it's really throw punishable on block or if the player just messed up because it didn't always work. I've also got to learn how to block her strings because my defense needs work.

Oh and yeah I'll add you. Always nice to have more people to play with.

Tenryuga

Alright thanks. I've been trying to keep myself from going for highs against her because those crushes ruin my day lol. I have started using 2P more against her and it does help a lot for dealing with BKO. I've also noticed that I've been able to low throw her after blocking that low kick that puts her in BKO stance. I'm not sure if it's really throw punishable on block or if the player just messed up because it didn't always work. I've also got to learn how to block her strings because my defense needs work.

Oh and yeah I'll add you. Always nice to have more people to play with.

It depends. If It is a sweep that should be throw punishable on block. The linear low I think may not be because I remember one of my friends saying that if he transitions immediately into BKO after doing the linear low it is neutral on block. You might want to check that out in training to confirm.

phoenix1985gr

The non tracking low that goes into bko is -9 (pp2k, 9p2k, 2h+k etc) and the tracking sweep ssk and bko 2k is -16... Unfortunately online is really hard to throw punish the -9 variable so you better use a quick low (mids arent a very good idea cause you ll win if they mash an attack, but you ll lose if they use the 22 special evade)

Kyosuke NEO

So, I figured I would ask what are my options against people who seem to just REFUSE to stop pressing buttons no matter what. I figure you just have to play lamer, but I don't really know how that works with Kasumi since she is a rushdown character.

Tenryuga

Outside of a few moves almost everything in this game is negative on block. If they finish strings then strike out of disadvantage immediately retaliate with a fast poke such as P / 6P /2P or use 1P to crush. If they are playing a game based around free cancelling you have to watch their pattern and learn how to spot the free cancel attempts then interrupt them, which is one of Kasumi's strengths due to her speed.

tokiopewpew

Standard Donor

(Did you post this video here to get some feedback? If yes, it would be better placed in the match critics thread. If not, forget everything I wrote below lol)

I'm not sure if that is yourself on the video since I cannot read the name because of the low quality, but I suppose you are the player on the right side.
Your combos look quite good, but you missed a lot of throw punishing in my opinion. You opponent used unsafe moves like :6::6::K::K: and :1::P::P: a lot and instead of poking against his block after you blocked these attacks, you could have thrown him for free guaranteed damage.

Furthermore, you missed some good situations to get the offensive. At 1:12 for example, you tried to grab him as he was backturned, instead of just use a fast poke like :6::P: to interrupt him and get a free juggle.

Last edited:

Nameless Sama

Its a good sign if you cant read my gamertag/ID. I post this video in the wrong thread D: yeah I wanted to get feedback.
I think that my playstyle is good with her. I am in the learning phase. In my opinion I like my playstyle and play so how I want. In that way I am learning better. Everybody has weaknesses like you. You are not perfect and I am not but I think I can learn here which tools are great for a ceratin situation. I missed some punnishing moments but I dont care. Next Time I will do it better.

tokiopewpew

Standard Donor
You are not perfect and I am not but I think I can learn here which tools are great for a ceratin situation. I missed some punnishing moments but I dont care. Next Time I will do it better.

Uh I'm sorry if I explained myself wrong, it was really not my intention to critize the way you play. :eek:
I actually like the way you playing Kasumi and I'm sure you will do things better in future when you have more training.

I never said that I am perfect or something like that, I just thought I could give you some tipps to improve yourself, but it seems you already know your what you've done wrong so it was probably wrong of me to say something about your video. :(

Nameless Sama

Nah you are completly wrong xD. You are not perfect I am not perfect I mean with that in generell. So everybody can make mistakes. I really like critic becuase you can learn from that you know. Yes my text above is a little bit too bragy and rude. Sorry for my expression. I must work on my expression so in that case misunderstandis like here now wouldnt be arise. You havent do anything wrong xD. We are here to learn this character and we should share our opinions and thoughts to get better :O

Soaring Zero

Outside of a few moves almost everything in this game is negative on block. If they finish strings then strike out of disadvantage immediately retaliate with a fast poke such as P / 6P /2P or use 1P to crush. If they are playing a game based around free cancelling you have to watch their pattern and learn how to spot the free cancel attempts then interrupt them, which is one of Kasumi's strengths due to her speed.
This is very true. Unfortunately for me it is also one of my weaknesses as a player. Especially against characters that have dozens of options when it comes to free canceling.

BMFAlpha

Ok so I don't know if this is the correct place to asks this but does anyone know the command for Kasumi's back to the wall move, the one where she jumps of the wall and attack her opponent? Can't find no information about it, thanks in advance.

BMFAlpha

yeah its 7p next to a wall her backflip move that creates space

AHHhhhh Thank you, Thank you, Thank you. I'm so happy you told me about it. You wouldn't believe I search everywhere looking how to do it and I can't believe it's that easy to do. Could slap myself right now.

Soaring Zero

I'd be careful how you go about using it though. I've managed to catch people with it here and there who obviously didn't expect it but you may be able to be punished big time for it. I'm not exactly sure how safe it is or anything though.

Chapstick

I'd be careful how you go about using it though. I've managed to catch people with it here and there who obviously didn't expect it but you may be able to be punished big time for it. I'm not exactly sure how safe it is or anything though.
It's a guard break that I think is +1. Absolutely should not be used with someone right on top of you or you'll be getting smacked into the wall.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD