"I shall end it!" The Official Kasumi Gameplay Discussion Thread

KasumiLover

xX_APO_Prince_Xx
Premium Donor
img_20181218_180147-jpg.26871

Hello and welcome to the new post release Kasumi thread where we can discuss anything related to Kasumi's gameplay, combos, etc.

For a quick reference so you won't have to really search through this thread for her new attacks, here's what she's gotten as of now:

*:8::s::s:/:2::s::s:- Not only can Kasumi sidestep using this but if you press :s: once again after the initial up or down sidestep, she'll perform a powerful kick attack that knocks the opponent back. Unsafe and will guarantee a throw if blocked however. Also if you are hit during the step with a tracking move(an attack that will hit sidestepping opponents), it'll count as a counter hit. Also if your opponent hits you with the first attack of a fatal rush while sidestepping, you'll be put into a special stun that turns you around.

*:s::s::s::s:- Her fatal rush string, is guaranteed fully if the first strike hits. Keep in mind that the first strike is a high and can be ducked as well as low crushed with a low. Likely will be very unsafe. Can be stopped midway as a mix up to make a custom combo but normal holds will shut down any normal attacks. Also break holds can be used to stop the string as well.

If the first hit of the fatal rush hits a sidestepping opponent, a special fatal stun will occur, turning them around. If the full string is done almost near a wall, it will cause a rope stun. This also seems to be a general universal go to combo for her :236::T: launcher throw as well as it works for lights and mid weights so far.

*:4::s:- Break hold, holds anything but costs a 1/2 bar of meter. Does pitiful damage and does not KO, but should provide a small advantage and help you escape scary situations in which you're completely lost at what your opponent will do. A relatively large amount of space will be given between you and your opponent so there isn't really any guaranteed or go moves to use after this from what is seen.

*:6::s:- Her Break Blow, she delivers a vicious strike to her opponent's abdomen. Does great damage and can go through attacks but costs 1 full meter. If you have a full meter after you've done her fatal rush, you will automatically chain into her break blow unless you nullify this with :s::s::s::4::s:. You can also cancel the break blow transition at the cost of a full meter by pressing and holding :h: before the transition, therefore creating a pusedo Critical Burst scenario that allows you to go for an extended combo set up for more damage, however the opponent is still able to break hold unless you've launched them and they're already being juggled. This move also causes a GB.

*:6::6::P::K:- New 14i mid kick follow up from this move, functions like how Hayate's :6::P::K: does with how it knocks down on hit. Frames unknown at the moment, but this should scare opponents into not crouching to avoiding the :P: follow up from :6::6::P:. Decent reach, good delay and also tracks but unsafe at -12 on block.

*:6::6::K:~:P:- New mid punch option, causes a bound for combos in juggles and can be tele canceled into Hoshinpo with :6:. A go to after :3::3::K: in critical stun but must be done with a slight delay like the other kick option. Unsafe at -12 on block.

*:9::P::P:- New mid punch option. Causes a guard break and will grant +1, +0, or -1 depending on distance.

*:6::P+K:- New attack from DOA2 and DOA3, a 15i upwards swiping jab that provides a lift stun on counter hit and in stun. Uses the old frame data(-10 to -11 on normal hit, -11 to -12 on block) this attack will be unsafe. Has two options: you can do her 17i mid kick :K: after so you can get a launch in stun, but it's launch can't be really used unless near a wall. Also has decent push back which can help her get some distance but can still be punished, especially near a wall.

The other option :2::K: is a somewhat slow low sweep, unsafe at -17 to -19 on block but knocks down in stun and stuns briefly on normal hit, giving +1 frame advantage on hit.

As of the Deluxe Demo, the only downside is that the sweep doesn't track and it's considered "standing", meaning the opponent can jab you out of it, although it's evasion is inconsistent. To compensate, it doesn't have the tip range property like her other various lows and it can knock down even from an apparent tip range from a distance.

New "on hit" options from attacks like :9::P::K:, :6::6::P::P:, :7::K:(and strings with this as an ender):

*:P:- This option is similar to the bound mid punch from :6::6::K::P:, will likely be useful in adding bounds for combo extenders. :6::s: can be used after it to go into a Break Blow or even :6::s::h: so you can get the fatal stun for a combo extender. Another good go to is :4::P::K::K:. This also GBs and grants +1,+0, or -1 depending on distance.

*:K:- This option is the same ender from :6::6::K:~:K:. In DOA6 this attack has been nerfed so it no longer bounds but it provides a knockdown. Safe on block and one of her go to teleport enders from a bound after :7::K:, but functions as a combo ender since the other punch follow up will not connect quick enough after an initial bound.

Backturned :H+K:- Her new jumping mid kick option while backturned that allows her to cancel into hoshinpo, as well as the two new options listed above as well as her :P+K:. Pretty similar to Phase 4's :3::P+K::K:. Appears to be her go to follow up after :3::3::P: leaves her backturned. Doesn't wallsplat but this may change in the final game.

Move input changes/general buffs or nerfs from DOA5LR
------------------------------​

*Her high elbow ender from strings like :6::P::P:, :3::P+K:~:P: and :P::P::6::P::P: has been buffed to knockdown on NH. It's also safe now at -6 on block since it no longer causes a sit down stun in critical stun anymore, making it a good ender on block, with the only downside being it doesn't track, making it vulnerable to side steps.

*:6::6::P: now will cause a limbo type fall stun against backturned opponents. Actual limbo stuns however where characters will turn around and fall have been removed from the game.

*Backturned :K: refloats the opponent somewhat rather than making them just drop to the ground after a launch. This will open up more combo opportunities when in more open stages for bound combos, but it still wallsplats.

*Has generally more options from special stances and a few new moves and follow ups which will make her more threatening to defend against and less linear.

*:6::6::K::K: no longer causes the pushed back sit down type stun it did in DOA5, instead it causes the stomach grab stun that :3::K: does. The stun is also toned down.

*:6::6::K:~:K: will no longer provide a bound on normal hit and during counter hits or juggles, it'll only provide one atm from her :236::T: throw and certain stun set ups,

* Her :8::P: is now -4 instead of -5 on block.

*Her old :4::6::T: has been reworked into an expert mid punch hold, now performed using :6::4::h:. It does somewhat average damage, and it causes a brief critical stun granting you +14 frame advantage to do her :7::K: guaranteed before the opponent can hold, as well as :8::K: and any other attacks under 12i.

*:6::K::K: and :P::P::6::K::K: are both now safe on block at -6. The stun only gives you +9 on hit however meaning the stun can't be continued except for if you finish the string or if the opponent holds, making it more bait oriented in nature.

*Her old CB from DOA5 has been changed from :6::P+K: to :236::P: and has "close hit" properties. Knocks back on hit and seems like a viable go to after bound combos when near a wall to score a wall splat so you can get more damage when in stages with walls.

*Her old :236::P: has been changed to :214::P:. Seems to have more range and a better base launch height. Can still be used as a filler refloat in moves that provide the needed launch height such as :236::T:, :1::T:, :4::6::h:, etc.

*Her old PB :4::P+K: has been removed.

*:6::P::K: has a different spin type stun animation in critical stun.

*In general her damage output seems to be higher, more notably her counter hit damage.

*Juggles have been toned down and no longer tie into how long you played the stun game. It seems like launch height will be consistent regardless on the stun threshold, so it's more about which launcher the player wants to use and their preferences.

Furthermore certain attacks that were go to follow ups for juggles in DOA5 don't seem to work in DOA6, so adjustments will have to be made to maximize your Kasumi combo damage. An example would be if you do :3::3::P:; rather than using :2::P: while backturned for a filler refloat, her new :H+K: into her :P: bound follow up would be the better option for better damage potential.

*The wall game has changed, so now opponents can be hit into the wall two ways: Wall stun or wallsplat. Wall stuns is similar to how it functions in DOA4, the opponent hits the wall but won't fall, allowing you to continue a set up for more damage via a stun into launch set up, possible hi counter throw bait, or maybe even into a fatal rush with a break hold cancel into a guaranteed juggle if you have meter. This however is risky since the opponent can defensive hold and break hold, and because they don't fall from the stun, they can even wait out your bait attempts, making this more risky, albeit with more damage potential. Attacks like :P+K::P: that don't knock down on normal hit but still can hit the wall like in DOA5 will cause this stun.

Wall splats are how they are in DOA5, the opponent will bounce off the wall, unable to hold, guaranteeing you free damage via a shorter juggle. The damage output will likely be weaker and the possibilities are more limited, but this has no risk involved and the opponent will not be able to hold to escape it. Attacks like :K::K::K: and :6::P::P: that knock down on normal hit will cause a wallsplat.

*Due to how sit down stuns now have fatal stun properties and will result in a sort of falling stun if you don't do anything, :4::H+K: will now be stronger, and will grant more guarantees. You can perform a break hold to escape this. The move however is unsafe at -13 on block.

Some go to attacks after this would be launchers like :3::3::P: and :3::3::K:, but if you want to play the stun game and get more damage at the risk of getting held, you can use other attacks that continue the stun threshold.

*Hoshinpo(:3::P+K:) can avoid side step attacks, guaranteeing a break blow. Depending on characters, Kasumi will also go backturned when using Hoshinpo to avoid sidesteps as well.

(This is a community thread so any tech, new gameplay stuff or anything related to Kasumi in general PLEASE share and I'll update this original post as time goes on so everything can be up to date!)

Last edited:

Einzelkind

The damage scaling in this game is really dumb sometimes - especially when it comes to things like launch throws.

How is it possible that :236::T:, :K::K::7::K:, hoshinpo :9::P::K:, bound, hoshinpo :P:, bound, close hit :236::P:

does just 3-4 points more damage than

:236::T:, :K::K::7::K:, hoshinpo :P:, bound, close hit :236::P: ?

It's not even worth doing it if you don't care about the swag bonus points :(

You can basically just do :3::3::T: and save yourself the trouble, unless there's a ceiling or danger zone in the stage. It's 17 frames instead of 12, but they're both mostly used to punish holds anyway.

Still enjoying Kasumi a lot, though.

KasumiLover

xX_APO_Prince_Xx
Premium Donor
The damage scaling in this game is really dumb sometimes - especially when it comes to things like launch throws.

How is it possible that :236::T:, :K::K::7::K:, hoshinpo :9::P::K:, bound, hoshinpo :P:, bound, close hit :236::P:

You can basically just do :3::3::T: and save yourself the trouble, unless there's a ceiling or danger zone in the stage. It's 17 frames instead of 12, but they're both mostly used to punish holds anyway.

It's probably just damage scaling, cuz Kasumi can do alot especially when she can break blow cancel, I think they try to scale her damage so it doesn't get too insane, same with phase 4. XD The game also allows shorter combos to do more damage so in most cases its best to just to some thing simple to narrow it down

Keylay

Yea, it's the damage scaling. In past DOA games, damage on air juggles was scaled to 40% for each hit. DOA6 changed that so after the 2nd hit, it goes down; 40%, 40%, 32%, 24%, 20%, 16%, 12%... I've noticed that doing your break blow earlier in combos will do more damage than if you extend the combo and do the break blow. So you pretty much want to use the most damaging moves first. It's been interesting getting used to it. They probably did this because of how easier it is to extend combos with break blows and stage interactables. But It makes it harder for wanting to use the harder combos if you don't get that much more damage.

KwonJigglypuff

Have you Kasumi players never been annoyed by KK7K not necessarely connecting since DOA5 ? Am I the only one being frustrated ?

KasumiLover

xX_APO_Prince_Xx
Premium Donor
Have you Kasumi players never been annoyed by KK7K not necessarely connecting since DOA5 ? Am I the only one being frustrated ?
It deoends on the combo, it'll connect but if you feel like it won't its best to go for something with more range like KK6K or something since 7K can miss even in some normal stun set ups

J.D.E.

Standard Donor
Well it seems like people are obviously aggravated everywhere i go lol. You're still going to want to use the launch throws & launch holds because of the wall & corner carry. They did the scaling because of the use of the meter. It used to bother me a lot, but it is what it is. I've adjusted. No point in complaining over spilled milk.

236T

Beginner
6K > 7KP > 236P/3P+KK/66H+K (Midscreen only)
66K - K7P > 236P/3P+KK/66H+K (Midscreen only)
33P > BHT+KP > 236P/3P+KK/66H+K (anywhere)
KK7KP > 236P/3P+KK/66H+K (midscreen)

Intermediate:
KK7K6 > 9PKP > 236P/66H+K (midscreen only)

46H
214P > KK7KP > 236P/66H+K (midscreen only)
214P > KK7K6 > 9PKP > 236P/66H+K (midscreen only)
KK7K6 > 9PKP > 236P/66H+K (Alternative for heavier characters)

On stages like Downtown China & The Danger Zone (DOA1 Raidou Stage in Unforgettable), you need 9K or 7KK as a substitute for the ground explosion to extend your combos after 7KP.

Whenever you're checking combos, make sure you have recovery on for each so that you know that you're getting the input for something when grounded.

Last edited:

tokiopewpew

Standard Donor
Stick to the basics ;)

Simple :426::T: :6::K: :P::P::K: close to a wall or corner does still more damage than any combo with bt :H+K::K: ender I know and works on all weight classes. (or someone got a better one?)

*Edit*

:426::T: :K::5::K: :4::P::K::K: does one point more lol

Last edited:

KasumiLover

xX_APO_Prince_Xx
Premium Donor
I didnt know if this was special enough to post, but here's a backturned situational set up you can do from the ropes on the gym stage, I wanted to use 66P but it doesn't lead to any non wall interference set ups

I tested it so it's guaranteed as long as the opponent has no break gauge meter after the break blow cancel

tokiopewpew

Standard Donor
Stick to the basics ;)

Easy peasy big damage wall combo: :K::K::K: :H+K::K:.

73 on normal hit, 102 dmg on hi-counter out of the box. You can even mix it up with doing :K::K::6::K: instead (this will also work on (super) heavyweights only if the opponent was not stunned before).

I dont think this a real secret or something but I'm posting this because many people are just asking for "the most damaging" combos. Seriously, what do we need this BT H+K stuff for again if we can just get the same value with such easy stuff on the new scaling mechanic?

Last edited:

extravagant

It seems like in DoA6, Kasumi is able to land combos more easily, but I feel like her speed has been reduced a bit. In DoA5 she had a pretty good speed advantage over most people, I used to be able to out-jab most people all the time. However that's no longer the case, people can jab-draw me all the time which is strange. In DoA5 you could pretty much out jab most people.

Her juggles seem to be easier to land than in 5 though. Which is good.

KasumiLover

xX_APO_Prince_Xx
Premium Donor
It seems like in DoA6, Kasumi is able to land combos more easily, but I feel like her speed has been reduced a bit. In DoA5 she had a pretty good speed advantage over most people, I used to be able to out-jab most people all the time. However that's no longer the case, people can jab-draw me all the time which is strange. In DoA5 you could pretty much out jab most people.

Her juggles seem to be easier to land than in 5 though. Which is good.
That's probably the lag in most cases since Kasumi should still be able to out jab anyone besides the 9i strikers like Nico and Christie and if they use a faster attack than the one she used at that moment

Also I like how combos seem more universal now so it's more or so about the enders you use in a situation, although 23P seems to be the only real option once you reached a certain combo hit cap where 6P+K and the others can't possibly hit from

Mark Jerome III

New guy here. Just created this to ask a question. Does anybody know the input about kasumi's hidden move? It looks like her power blow from 5 but it covers more distance. I only seen it once on an AI, so I'm not sure if its an AI only move cause its not on her commande list.
For anyone who its curious, I'm talking about this

KasumiLover

xX_APO_Prince_Xx
Premium Donor
New guy here. Just created this to ask a question. Does anybody know the input about kasumi's hidden move? It looks like her power blow from 5 but it covers more distance. I only seen it once on an AI, so I'm not sure if its an AI only move cause its not on her commande list.
For anyone who its curious, I'm talking about this
It's an AI only move, Master from Twitter has mentioned a couple of times that it shouldn't have been in the game, but then again the AI could do this in DOA5 as well xD

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD