Is Nyo Tengu a bad game design choice?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wish to talk about the newest character introduced in the doa franchise. As far as the reaction from players it was a very mix bag. My opinion is that she was actually bad choice due to what she is, a lazy decision. Tecmo new fans wanted tengu, but the also knew due to game branching out to more players only the faithful would buy him. So there decision was this lets bring tengu in the game, but as an attractive women. Thus being lazy in the fact Tecmo knows sex sells, then reusing old character actions to lower the time and money needed to make her. Though after seeming some gameplay and her design see that effort was used but not like Marie Rose being a completely unique character. Youtuber Englishdragon had passionate video that had some valid points on the negative of this character. The link will be in the post. So my question to the doa community is this, was this a bad move?

FuryFireFalcon

I thought having Alpha-152 as a playable character was a terrible idea but at this point anything is fine if that is. I just don't like her name. :confused:

David Gregg

Regardless of whether or not I agree with the points he made, a passionate fan does not call the game crap and stop playing it imo especially when it is not for reasons such as faulty gameplay mechanics or significant balancing issues. And like Yurlungur said, he's focusing solely on her appearance and a T&A rant is just as annoying as a pro-T&A vid.

In terms of the reveal: Yes I am disappointed Tengu isn't in the game. In addition to his fighting style, it's a combination of DOA2 nostalgia and that classic arcade boss vibe he gives off with his appearance and personality that I really enjoy about him. Having said that though I am also excited for Nyotengu. I like the darkstalker morrigan approach they took with her design and since they were apparently never planning on bringing Tengu back, at the very least having Tengu-do return and evolved to fit 5U's mechanics (as well as retain many of the moves that made me enjoy the fighting style to begin with) is something that I can accept.

Last edited:

synce

Damn that dude is MAD lmao I agree with all of his points though. So far I've refused to buy any DLC but obviously enough people keep buying it for stuff like this to keep happening. And I've joked about this before but I'm really starting to believe DOA6 may be an all-girl F2P fighter.

99% of the FGC doesn't take DOA seriously and never will. Way more people buy girl characters and costumes than guy ones. So why even bother updating the guys for DOA6?

If they take it one step further and drop the story mode they can exponentially reduce the workload and still make the same money because the same group of lonely boys will keep dressing up with waifu with the latest fetish DLC.

All the girls already have exact same body except Marie, so if it's just girls in DOA6 TN can just create one costume and fits on practically everyone.

So little effort, so much money $_$

I don't really agree with the game being to female based due to fact that the people who take game seriously choose who they want or who is effective. Even in online casual I don"t see the skimpiest outfits being used on the female cast, people normally just choose what they want. If people just played the game for sex appeal and sleaz why don't players just play Tina, or Lisa, or Christie they are the most sexual characters in the game personality wise.What FGC need to get over is saying "Oh this game is just fanservice.". One they are just actually equaling the character roster male to female ratio, till this game they have always been more male characters. Even gameplay wise till this game they were also the stronger characters to choose from if you wanted to win. What makes this game not like is really due to its public image. Other games have just as much fanservice, examples would be Soulcailbur, MK9, Tekken the list goes on. The problem with DOA they used fanservice to get people attention first, then gameplay. Then the fact that American's want to seem more civilized the scuff at games that flaunt their female cast, despite they doing similar decision in other games. The character I do agree in the early years of the game were copy pasted. Though DOA they actually put more detail to the characters to them more of a distinctive looks from each other due to the new engine. Also if the game was just about the girls how does it keep making money? Other games that just focused on the girls didn't make as much money or lasted as long like Rumble Roses. The gameplay and the characters is the reason why DOA lives not the girls, they just help.

Goarmagon

Standard Donor
I really don't feel like we need to have this discussion yet again.
Especially seeing that the same tired ass bullshit arguments just get repeated ad nauseum without the slightest variation. People just need to stop being judgmental and let others be themselves and have their fun. Personally I don't understand the tengu thing but I am glad they did some sort of happy medium compromise to justify the man hours required to put "her" back into the game and to satisfy the fans. However, I am not looking forward to fighting this bitch online. The pain in the ass resulting from this will rival a deep gunshot laceration that will put me in a persistent vegetative state.

Jyakotu

Standard Donor
People in this community are never sastified, simple as that. People were screaming for Tengu, but also wanted new characters. IMO, this in a win-win situation. Players who wanted Tengu get his play style back in an updated fashion, while casuals get a brand new character for DOA5U(A). Nyotengu also retains much of the same personality of the original Tengu as well, which is a great nod to those 3 people who were screaming for Tengu to return. Honestly, I don't see why they would have brought back an old boss character anyway when DOA5U already had a playable boss character in Alpha-152. Truth is, people need to stop bitching and be grateful that Tengu's play style comes back and that we also get another brand new character. Other 3D fighters aren't even getting the same amount of support that DOA5U is currently getting, so I don't see the big deal about Nyotengu.

deathofaninja

Premium Donor
News Team
My biggest issue with this ^ comment is the more selectable bosses thing. I don't get why that matters. Nyotengu is clearly going to be a bigger threat than DOA4 Bankotsubo anyway. I would love to see Raidou as the next character.

At that, I will agree that this community is hard to please.

DeliCiousApple

I like her design, but I think they could have made her a tad more original ? On another note, I do think we need more male characters. I think DOA needs to cater to the female players too ?

Last edited:

Brute

Standard Donor
I like her design, but I think they could have made her a tad more original ? On another note, I do think we need more male characters. I think DOA needs to cater to the female players too ?
And y'know, male players too.

Some of us don't exclusively play characters of the opposite sex.

deathofaninja

Premium Donor
News Team
See, I am indifferent about them adding a male outside the old roster (Bankotsubo, Raidou). The reason behind this is the only new male character they have added to the DOA roster is Rig, and tbh, I don't care for his design at all, and his bad ass factor isn't there.

I want a male that's on the verge of ripping hearts out. A male other than Hayabusa that I can blast Master of Puppets to as I get to work.

Xhominid The Demon Within

See, I am indifferent about them adding a male outside the old roster (Bankotsubo, Raidou). The reason behind this is the only new male character they have added to the DOA roster is Rig, and tbh, I don't care for his design at all, and his bad ass factor isn't there.

I want a male that's on the verge of ripping hearts out. A male other than Hayabusa that I can blast Master of Puppets to as I get to work.

Sadly, a character like that is NEVER gonna work...

And I'm not gonna watch the video at all because just looking at the comments section just proves my point:

1. It's Machinima, which pretty much means it's gonna be crap to begin with.

2. If all the argument is that she's T&A, then there's no reason to even bother watching.

3. Most of the comments are dumb even by Youtube standards(Either people are either agreeing with him cold turkey or being completely moronic in actually tossing out reasons for why his points are bullshit).

I mean, for the love of God, the damn content creator is saying ITAGAKI would be mad that they added NyouTengu and Marie Rose to the game....fucking really!?! Do you guys know Itagaki?!?!

Let's not bother giving this dumbass more views, don't watch the shit and I'd rather not bother even doing this again.

deathofaninja

Premium Donor
News Team
Just bring back Raidou then, and save the new guy for DOA6. If we get a guy Marie Rose I will just stop playing DOA I think.

Xhominid The Demon Within

Just bring back Raidou then, and save the new guy for DOA6. If we get a guy Marie Rose I will just stop playing DOA I think.

You should have quit since DOA4, Eliot is the male Marie Rose...

God, now I WANT to watch the video just to see how dumb he can get like with Anita Sarkessian so I know to truly avoid him...

No curosity, stay down.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD