Is online completely meaningless?

WebHead

Ok lets say ur fighting online and there are no major lag spikes. There's smooth gameplay and maybe the games running a little slower than offline. Say I found master in a lobby and beat him, does that mean anything? I think it does to about 80% (if its smooth gameplay). I know frames are a little off but in west philadelphia born and raised on the playground where I spent most of my days chilling out, maxing, relaxing all cool and all shooting some b-ball outside of the school when a couple of guys, they were up to no good started making trouble in my neighbourhood, I got in one little fight and my mom got scared and said "You're moving with your auntie and uncle in Bel-air" I whistled for a cab and when it came near the License plate said "fresh" and had a dice in the mirror If anything I could say that this cab was rare but I thought nah, forget it, yo homes to Bel-air! ... that and also countering comes into consideration.

NightAntilli

Online means more than people like to admit. Multiple online players have joined offline tournaments and have done fairly well. In essence, online and offline don't play differently provided you buffer early enough, which is harder to do the more lag there is or the higher the ping is. When it gets bad you have to start buffering before the last move even comes out, for your counter attack to come out immediately after the opponent has finished. If the connection is constant with a fairly low ping, there's no real issue adapting to the earlier buffering, you just have less time to react accordingly compared to offline, and in that sense, offline is easier when you're on the defensive, but harder when you're on the offensive. When the connection spikes a lot is when things become completely unreliable since all frames will be all over the place.

NukNuks

Online is meaningless if you post hella on a community-specific videogame forum and never show up to an offline event. Online is meaningless if you put in countless hours of sparring & online sessions and never show up to an offline event. Online is meaningless if you talk like you're bout it when you've never showed up to an offline event to prove that you're actually bout it!

Ain't no such thing as halfway crooks.

shinryu

Online is meaningless for offline, mostly. Unless your connection is amazing you just have to play wrong online relative to offline defensively. Offensively I think it can be pretty good; you can practice combos and get a feel for the mixup game. But defensively getting smote by unreactable lows and losing the ability to punish isn't at all reflective of how the offline game plays. It's extremely frustrating, especially when dipshit online scrubs think they're fucking Daigo for abusing lag tactics. Remember how when you couldn't punish shoryukens in SF4 online? Same kind of shit here. Only Helena is flailing around randomly instead of Ken.

Brute

Standard Donor
That's a normative, epistemic question. It means whatever you make it mean. If you have fun online, it means it's entertaining. If you beat Master online, it means you are good at playing DOA on a level where you can't rely on not being buffer-trapped by lag. It's not the same thing as an offline match, as you have to worry about compensating for lag-related issues, whereas offline you can really focus on timing and free-canceling, etc. However, that doesn't mean it's a trivial chore playing online. It's simply a different challenge in certain regards. Beating Master online does not necessarily mean you could beat him offline, but that doesn't mean it "doesn't matter."

I disagree, online isn't "meaningless." It has meaning, and in fact it's how most people play the game (and not just "casuals").

There is a whole spectrum of players between casuals (I turn on the game and i press buttons), and hardcore (I go to offline tournaments). An analogy I can give is if you think about it like chess, between casual play once a year players and Grandmasters there exist a lot of people buying books, studying openings, playing difficult games against other good players however possible, reading about chess, and those people will never play in a tournament.

A lot of forums online for nearly any game ignore that giant middle ground, there are many people like myself who take the game seriously, but would almost never bother to go to an offline tournament. Either because it is financially difficult, just life happening preventing it, or just not generally wanting to bother.

I think offline is meaningless in the sense that being called, best player online will never carry weight compared to people who win offline tournaments. However like I said, I consider it fairly 'serious' (not in terms of points, but when I play, I play to win and I take it seriously)

Also hey everyone! im new here

Prince Adon

Best in the World!!!
Premium Donor
Online is not "meaningless" it depends. For a competitive player only if you plan on playing offline and traveling to compete online can be used as a field for "practice" and "experience" to a degree if you don't have no one to play with offline but the A.I or family/friends who know nothing about the game. Beyond that competitively, if you take online serious in a competitive matter you're going to be laughed at and will just end up with a bunch of bad habits and flawed online based play style. This is when it's meaningless.

Other than that the only time online is not meaningless is if you use it to simply play for fun with friends since again people don't always have people to play it with offline. Just don't take online seriously "Competitively" because you'll just remain a scrub.

d3v

A lot of forums online for nearly any game ignore that giant middle ground, there are many people like myself who take the game seriously, but would almost never bother to go to an offline tournament. Either because it is financially difficult, just life happening preventing it, or just not generally wanting to bother.
That's the worse reason for not going to events. Anyone who uses this excuse to not attend events is only hurting the the game and its community.

Skilletor

DoA5's online is meaningless. It's shit and is a pale imitation of what the game will play like offline. But lol @ people gathering to play this game offline.

TTT2, SC5, SF4, BB, P4A, and a number of others, however, have online that is important to the community at large.

clockpenalty

Offline is the lifeblood of the community, without a good offline scene, a game becomes irrelevant and soon nobody plays it any more because the community doesn't talk about it any more.

But without good online in the modern world, that 5% of online players who graduate to the offline scene would not exist.

DOA5 has a poor online mode, which is a shame. I don't see how TN can fix it, either. It's just the nature of the game. Them's the breaks. Nothing short of rollback will fix DOA5, and cross tekken showed that the number of people who don't understand rollback and will cry foul are far too many for it to be worthwhile.

shunwong

I think many people that do very well online would do badly offline, although as online gets bigger and bigger there are going to be better and better online players doing the transition to offline. One example was the guy who won SC5 EVO. Apparently he'd been an online player until then.

Roroko

Offline is the lifeblood of the community, without a good offline scene, a game becomes irrelevant and soon nobody plays it any more because the community doesn't talk about it any more.

But without good online in the modern world, that 5% of online players who graduate to the offline scene would not exist.

DOA5 has a poor online mode, which is a shame. I don't see how TN can fix it, either. It's just the nature of the game. Them's the breaks. Nothing short of rollback will fix DOA5, and cross tekken showed that the number of people who don't understand rollback and will cry foul are far too many for it to be worthwhile.

Agree.

Good online -> more appealing fighting game -> more people buy the game and introduce their friends to it -> community grows -> people start organising offline tourneys -> even more people start playing -> tourneys become bigger -> cycle continues.

WebHead

DoA5's online is meaningless. It's shit and is a pale imitation of what the game will play like offline. But lol @ people gathering to play this game offline.

TTT2, SC5, SF4, BB, P4A, and a number of others, however, have online that is important to the community at large.

what do u mean "lol at people playing this offline" kid? ill smash u in mvc3, ttt2 vf5 or doa5 kid

Sett

In reality the offline scenes are a niche of the audience of the game.

In the perfect world you would go to a place close to your area which hosts gaming tournaments online since they would have beast net and connect to their affiliated companies around the world flawlessly but I doubt that exists.

When you get really good then you can start flying around the world just to play a game.

AngryWorm

So, even after my limited DOA5 offline experience, online is just a complete nightmare. I never, ever thought I'd say that about a DOA game being an online 'warrior' for almost a decade. In DOA4 I very rarely felt screwed by lag, but in DOA5 it happens 2-3 times a round, and when you're factoring that into an already random game it's very frustrating.

Example: I was playing a Kasumi the other day and couldn't help but facepalm at the nonsense that was going on. Unable to punish anything, unable to counter anything, unable to play any sort of footsies/zoning game.

You can certainly practice certain elements online, but at the end of the day if you're taking online play super-competitively you're probably just going to get very frustrated. Personally, I still play online 'seriously' , but my enthusiasm for it is starting to diminish.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD