DOA6 Kayane's Interview With Team NINJA's Yohei Shimbori

Image: //pbs.twimg.com/media/DxEZcT0WkAAD1XR.jpg

Kayane, a well-known competitive player in the FGC, conducted an interview with Team NINJA's Yohei Shimbori the future of DOA6 at Koch Media in Paris, France. In this article, Shimbori touches on several topics such as eSports involvement, community feedback, possible DLC characters, and more. Here are some tidbits from the article.

On DOA6's "eSports Mode" (which is similar to DOA5's Exhibition Mode):

K. : I’ve seen in the game that you have an Esport mode. Can you tell me more about it ?
Y. S. : So in Esport tournaments, if you pause the game, you generally automatically lose the round. So in this mode, we disabled the menu button to avoid any accidents and you need to press the menu button much longer if you want it to really pop up. This is the first step. We’ll analyze over time what Esport requires and what sets it apart from private matches to add features later down the line.

Season Passes for DOA6:​

K. : Are you thinking about having a season pass, like what Tekken 7 and Street Fighter V are doing? They are timed according to major e-sports events, like the Tekken World Tour and the Capcom Pro Tour. Are you thinking about doing something similar with DOA?
Y. S. : So we’re not going to do something like Capcom does, but we’re definitely thinking about doing something on our own terms. Like Tekken and Street Fighter are the kings of the fighting game market and DOA’s more of a challenger, so you cannot win by doing the same thing that they do, by copying them. You have to come up with your own solution. An approach that seems cooler and that will appeal to gamers and make us catch up with the kings.​

Team Ninja's Attempt on Future Tournaments:

"K. : Are you planning on working on organizing tournaments in the future ?
I remember that around 10-15 years ago, DOA was part of big Esports leagues like World Cyber Games or even Championship Gaming Series with a lot of cash prize and also players belonging to Esport professional teams. At that time, it was nearly impossible to make a living from Esport, but some DOA talented players were able to do so thanks to the sponsorships.
Y. S. : We’d have to work together with the leagues, because working on our own from scratch would prove to be pretty hard. Someone in the company was a pretty big Esport player at the time, and he’s already in the talks with the leagues, as he’d really love to have DOA back on the scene, so we’re really looking forward to how that develops."

On Possible DLC (including Ein, Leon, Gen-Fu, etc.):

So we’ve seen the roster and nearly everybody’s here, but what about Ein and Leon ?
Y. S. : We planned the story mode and all the characters that could fit within that story are here.​

K. : But why were these two singled out, though ? Nearly everybody’s here !

Y. S. : Well, there’s another one missing. Gen Fu.​

K. : Oh, I had completely forgotten him.

*laughs*​

Y. S. : So Eliot will learn Gen Fu’s techniques in the story, so that’s why he isn’t there. As for Leon, his fight is over, so when he appears, it’s more as a guest than anything else. Personally, I would’ve liked Leon as a character, but, dot dot dot…​

K. : As DLC ?

Y. S. : Maybe ? Maybe not ?​

For the full article, you can read it on Kayane's official website, where Shimbori touches more on the latest entry of the series.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't know what he is going to do about the fanservice. I hope he doesn't cave and cater to those mindless morons.

Also, I am jsut hoping Kiryu is in as DLC.

Right because people that like what they like are morons.

I think there are some like Saw Richard Pell. Most of them are honestly just as dedicated to the series as anyone else and are every bit capable of whooping your ass.

I think there are some like Saw Richard Pell. Most of them are honestly just as dedicated to the series as anyone else and are every bit capable of whooping your ass.
Usually those people are mashers and I wreck them. But yeah, I know that may be a strong opinion. These people are being childish over some fanservice. I mean these cats telling me fanservice made DOA unique and I'm like, "What?" Come on, dude cave to these guys. They aren't committed like me and you and will peace out after two weeks to a month.

There's a whole thread on what he's talking about when he means fanservice and people's opinion about it. The guys that complain about boobs/jiggle physics/ everything else. The guys that bash DOA nonstop and act like its just a hentai game instead of an actual fighter because they don't know any better. Random people that don't care about DOA as a series and spout out random bullshit just because they're bored. The ones that make it hard for newcomers to take DOA seriously as a competent fighter. It would be one thing if DOA was completely changed into something entirely different, but that's not happening. I'm sorry, but if guys like Richard Pell drop the game because the fan service is dropped by 1 percent, I'm ok with them leaving if their liking of the series is that superficial.

Last edited:
There's a big difference between merely liking something, having a strong opinion about something, and running autistic campaigns and crusades because something didn't go your way
6 is in a good spot right now by taking neither extremes. It's not caving, and it's not going away
I don't feel sorry for people whose sole source of anime tiddies is one video game series though

First, Leon story is finished? Eff you man! That's so disrespectful! If Bayman's story can continue, so can Leon's. It doesn't take much imagination to keep it going.

Second, Team Ninja will be leaving money on the table if they don't bring back "legacy" characters as DLC. And from how DOA 5 progressed over time, we know Team Ninja / Koei Tecmo knows how to milk their product.

If they're going to add new characters with each iteration, eventually someone was going to get cut. I'm not saying it *had* to be Leon or Gen Fu or whoever, but at some point some characters are going to get retired if they keep adding new ones with each iteration.

My one big complaint with DOA5LR was that there were just too many characters to balance the game around. You had the new people like Honoka & Marie Rose, plus legacy characters, plus so many guest characters (which included multiple VF people). It was ludicrous, I don't want DOA to turn into Smash Bros, it's not that style of fighter.

If they're going to add new characters with each iteration, eventually someone was going to get cut. I'm not saying it *had* to be Leon or Gen Fu or whoever, but at some point some characters are going to get retired if they keep adding new ones with each iteration.

My one big complaint with DOA5LR was that there were just too many characters to balance the game around. You had the new people like Honoka & Marie Rose, plus legacy characters, plus so many guest characters (which included multiple VF people). It was ludicrous, I don't want DOA to turn into Smash Bros, it's not that style of fighter.
You know, Im hearing alot of people say they dont want many guest characters in this game. I didnt understand at first, but now Im starting to see why a bit. I think it's about time this game expanded its own lore and made new characters original to this universe. Maybe add two guests characters but lets start creating new ones and using NG characters.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD