Kokoro Changes in 5U

Saber

Same here. Too many of Kokoro's really good tools are gone, and still no tracking.

I think it's time to drop her. As much as I loved her, she's just not as viable anymore.

FlamingMuffin

I'm not dropping her yet, even with the Nerf Comet.

You're a trooper. While I haven't dropped her, I'm still struggling how to play her. I'm just throwing stuff out, hoping it works with no real gameplan. In 5 it was

a) Make them afraid of 1T
b) Make them afraid of 8P6P
c) Use Heichu to PK (or just jab) stun and mixup from there
d) Make them afraid of her non-SEable BT stun game (launch vs sitdown --> CB/launch)
e) Make them afraid of 6P+K.

In 5U, none of this applies. She has nothing scary (and please don't tell me Heichu P+K or 44P stun is good).

Musourenka

I won't (though I like Heichu P+K's +2 on block). When I find some tech, I'll let you all know. Right now, I play her sort of at mid-range versus up-close, since she's still solid at mid-range.

StrikerSashi

Premium Donor
Play a few hours today with just Kokoro in locals. Most of my wins were from the other guy messing up. My damage came from mostly throw punishs, holds, tick throws, and hilarious 1P+K. It's a sad day to be Kokoro. 236P+K is really nice, though.

Musourenka

Sorry if this is common knowledge, but I wanted to let you all know that the best option after BT P+K and 236P is 33P; more range, damage, and advantage over 66P. Puts you at +26 and opponent in Lv2 Stun, so you can launch (but not burst) at this point.

I guess it's something.

FlamingMuffin

After BT P+K, you might as well launch or use 236P for the bound. But yeah, if you want to play the stun game, 33P is her best mid-stun no doubt.

I miss the 5 days, BT P+K --> 236P --> CB --> PB = <3

Musourenka

I can't get the timing down for launching after SDS on Fastest SE. That's definitely an option if you hit at close range though.

StrikerSashi

Premium Donor
As far as I know, BT P+K 236P is guaranteed from all ranges. The follow up 66 P+K 66P+KP+K P+K requires hella timing, though, and probably isn't possible past mid weight. Should probably just skip the initial P+K after dash and go straight to 666P+KP+K P+K.

Tenryuga

Yeah, I really can't find any effective way to play her so far. Her bounds aren't that useful (how often are you going to hit them with 236P on CH or the last P in 4PPPP?). 8P6P is no longer scary/neutral. Her BT stun game was nerfed to shit (now you can just SE and avoid 3/4 options). Heichu throw options were reduced, 1T gone, 33P NH gone. The only thing I have left is my 66P+K.

If these nerfs didn't majorly affect how you play her, I honestly question your Kokoro in 5.

236P can be set up during the stun game via highs or forced mixups and 4PPPP will hit with conditioning. I mean 4PPP is a 3 in 1 and creates a must hold situation. If I'm constantly doing 4PPP into 7K or 4P+K are you really going to sit there doing mid punch hold everytime you see 4PPP? Let's not forget the threat of 214T either. I wouldn't go for 236P too often but you can't deny 4PPP puts her in a pretty good situation right?

FlamingMuffin

4PPP is only a NC on NH. In stun, you can counter all three at any time. Of course, it comes out reasonably fast, but the threat of being countered is there.

The other problem she has is that the majority of her good stuns are high (jab, 46P and 9P). Mid wise, only 33P and the second P of 236P+K. Everything else is SEable to avoid launchers/CB. 66P+K still offers her pseudo though, thank god.

StrikerSashi

Premium Donor
Yeah, 9P is needed for pretty much everything right now. I tried not using it, but I just got SE'd from everything. When I started using that, I had to deal with low holds, which are a pain to punish with her 1T nerfed. Even 214T isn't as scary anymore 'cause it's one of the only throws that didn't get a damage buff with the health increase. It still does great damage, but it's nothing special compared to even other non-grapplers. It's just such a pain playing her. I'm only still using her 'cause I just got the Team O costumes.

EDIT: That said, I have been having a lot of success doing 214T after her terrible stuns. It's like her old 6K 214T gimmick, but all the time now.

Tenryuga

4PPP is only a NC on NH. In stun, you can counter all three at any time. Of course, it comes out reasonably fast, but the threat of being countered is there.

The other problem she has is that the majority of her good stuns are high (jab, 46P and 9P). Mid wise, only 33P and the second P of 236P+K. Everything else is SEable to avoid launchers/CB. 66P+K still offers her pseudo though, thank god.

Damn. I could have sworn 4PPP was a 3 in 1. This changes my opinion alot now. I'll probably just stick with 9P and avoid using too much of her BT setups. I still need to look into what can be SE'd after a 3K4K stun.

Musourenka

The only real non-SE-able launch option otherwise is to "mini-launch" at max threshold with either 9P or 6KP.

StrikerSashi

Premium Donor
I wouldn't say that. She's just low tier against players who know how to deal with her. Just gotta work harder.

I am solely playing solo rank match online since DOA5 to DOA5U. Even though Kokoro is my favorite, but I admit that for those who start new character, DOA5U Kokoro is quite weak compared to others.

Any character who has good low stun on normal hit is easier for me to beat people even I am new with that character.

In DOA5U I’m currently at A- rank who never fought S rank, never. I have 600 rank match and none of S rank accept to fight me fearing my 1bar connection. (I know, but what else I could do but accept it)

Even Pai is easier than Kokoro due to her deep stun low attack on normal hit. For beginner, in my opinion. This is what I noticed since I start to use Pai after Kokoro.

Kokoro low stun on normal hit is bad making difficult to fight with opponent who know how to guard.

Why deep low stun on normal hit so important? Don’t get me wrong, but according to my over 6,000 rank match online combined from DOA5&DOA5U plus my Kokoro is top two on the solo rank leaderboard right now, I say it is. Believe it or not its up to you.

And one more thing, my most damaging move is not from the move set people often to post it in the forum but from 236T. Even it is not as versatile as Jann Lee’s dragon gunner but I use it in the similar way except that kokoro’s still hit even missing the grap.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD