Kokoro Q & A

Yaguar

Are people using much of :1::K: at all?
I like it but I find that if I'm going to use it I have to know exactly where I'm going to go with it. There is not opportunity to sort of stagger the next hit, just have to be dedicated like a Rampage Charge.

Mainly been using it with the :4::K: ending leaving me in BT (which is -5) and following up with :P+K: which seems to catch most things. Just curious to see how better Kokoro players handle it.

The other big question, poking. So far my opening go to's are.
:6::P:
:6::6::P:
:4::P:
:7::P:
:6::K:
:2::H+K:
:1::P: - when spaced.

Only issue I'm having is the raw number of mid's I'm opening with. Thinking it will cause me a lot of future problems if I don't find something else to push into my system.

Thanks in advance.
/Blitz - Noob Kokoro

FlamingMuffin

:1::K: is decent on slippery surfaces and also a nice transition into BT when the opponent is stunned.

Try using some :9::P: for poking as well (and the always useful :2::P: reset).

Roroko

Are people using much of :1::K: at all?
I like it but I find that if I'm going to use it I have to know exactly where I'm going to go with it. There is not opportunity to sort of stagger the next hit, just have to be dedicated like a Rampage Charge.

Mainly been using it with the :4::K: ending leaving me in BT (which is -5) and following up with :P+K: which seems to catch most things. Just curious to see how better Kokoro players handle it.

Well, I'm not necessarily a better player but I use it as a CB builder after putting opponent in Crit. Stun.

E.g, :6::6::P:, :1::K::K:, :7::P: gets you a CB (can also do a :9::P: (high) after the second :K: and still get CB without breaking threshold i.e., good for baiting mid :P: hold after your opponent sees the CB system message)

It's useful because most of her other CB builders are high and mid :P:, so the :1::K::K: (l, m) gives her more options. Especially against people who like to hold mid :P: (either because of newbie reactions or they know Kokoro's best moves are mostly mid :P:s). Even more so against characters like Hitomi, Lei Fang and Gen Fu who have advanced parries that parry mid and high :P:/mid :K: which increases their hold chances even more. :1::K::K: evens the odds. Once they start holding low switch back to mid :P: CB builders.

The other big question, poking. So far my opening go to's are.
:6::P:
:6::6::P:
:4::P:
:7::P:
:6::K:
:2::H+K:
:1::P: - when spaced.

Only issue I'm having is the raw number of mid's I'm opening with. Thinking it will cause me a lot of future problems if I don't find something else to push into my system.

Thanks in advance.
/Blitz - Noob Kokoro

:3::K: is a decent kick poke. Not as good as other chars but can follow up with :2::P:. This gives you +5 which doesn't guarantee anything by itself but I like to dash in with a neutral grab afterwards. Once they get wise to that you can switch the follow up to :K: or :4::K: instead.

I've also been experimenting with SS:P:/:3::3::P:. It's -10 on block but because you have to add +2 frames to attacks from block is safe from strikes. Great range and the followup :P: can be delayed to HC throw attempts.

Basically, if a move works, spam the hell out of it until they get wise to it lol.

That's all I got for the time being.

Musourenka

I think, in addition to what JDE said, why people thought Kokoro was stupid good was because everyone was thinking DOA5 was all about unholdable stuns, and she has a lot of those (well, four, but all of them are strong enough to be incorporated regularly in her game).

I also think her linearity weakness is overrated; or at least, people aren't exploiting it if it is a big weakness. If you do encounter someone who sidesteps a lot, in addition to her :F+K: variants, she has :6::P::P: and :4::6::P::P: for step killing.

One thing that I've seen a Kokoro player do is abuse :7::K: near its maximum range. I got owned by it repeatedly. It launches raw, it's got good range, and it's Incredibly hard to punish. You can try to retaliate after blocking it, but you have to deal with BT :P+K:, which sit-down-stuns and has Ayane-level crushing power, or backdash -> whiff punish.

I really have to look at her back-turned game again.

VirtuaKazama

Standard Donor
News Team
Here's a question: is :1::P::P::P: safe to use? I know it is -8 on Block, but how much is it on hit?

KaiBro

I don't know from where but I read that Kokoro had a couple of frame traps, does anyone what the setups are? It probably won't matter because maybe the upcoming patch might make those frame traps null but I would still like to know though.

And can any one tell me what moves lead in kokoro's stance after someone amswers kaibro because i would also like to know her frame traps too.

KevinJ

And can any one tell me what moves lead in kokoro's stance after someone amswers kaibro because i would also like to know her frame traps too.

If you go to the thread, Kokoro Combo Thread on page 3, post #48. You will find the information you are looking for.

Murakame

What strings are the most useful when applying pressure with Kokoro? How often should I be free canceling? Would 214P, 236P, 8P and 1P be good spacing moves? How does a Kokoro player deal with faster characters such as Kasumi? Do you guys like 4PP as a sort of reset in addition to 2P? lol that's all I have sorry if its too many questions.

NightAntilli

What strings are the most useful when applying pressure with Kokoro? How often should I be free canceling? Would 214P, 236P, 8P and 1P be good spacing moves? How does a Kokoro player deal with faster characters such as Kasumi? Do you guys like 4PP as a sort of reset in addition to 2P? lol that's all I have sorry if its too many questions.
Those are all great spacing moves. They all have their usees. So is P+K, because it leaves you at +1. It's slow though, so, yeah, use it wisely. 1P is probably the least useful, because it doesn't give you much unless you're on water, or it lands as a counter hit, which will rarely happen since it's so slow. The best way to use it is to try and bait a crushing move by the opponent so you can hold it.

Free cancelling doesn't happen that often with Kokoro, since you'll mostly be mixing up between grabbing, her stance and attacking. The two best moves to free cancel with are her 6PP (not 6P6P) because people respect the 3rd P follow-up, and anything that ends with her 3K because she has a lot of follow-ups from it which people will be watching out for.

How to deal with Kasumi is.. A pain. Basically it comes down to waiting for your opportunity to use something like 2F+K safely, and then maintaining your offense as long as possible. Any opportunity you get to turn things around, you have to take it, be it holding her mid P which people love to pressure with, sidestepping at the right moments, or crushing, and hope that when you're on the offensive, the opponent doesn't stop you and turn things around. Especially since Kokoro's defenses suck ass.

I rarely use 4PP. I don't see any reason to go for it.

Murakame

Free cancelling doesn't happen that often with Kokoro, since you'll mostly be mixing up between grabbing, her stance and attacking. The two best moves to free cancel with are her 6PP (not 6P6P) because people respect the 3rd P follow-up, and anything that ends with her 3K because she has a lot of follow-ups from it which people will be watching out for.

When you say grabbing you refer to her in string grabs as well as standard grabs like 214T? Which string grabs and stance transitions do you find effective? I've been using PPT and 2H+K P+K but I feel like those are telegraphed lol.

NightAntilli

When you say grabbing you refer to her in string grabs as well as standard grabs like 214T? Which string grabs and stance transitions do you find effective? I've been using PPT and 2H+K P+K but I feel like those are telegraphed lol.
Mainly her mid string grabs, yeah. But standard grabs too, if you know how to bait holds. Her 214T and her 1T are her best grabs. The trick of the mid string transitions and the stance, is to not use them when you think the opponent expects them. Usually it's better to just finish the attack the first few times so the opponent will block more, and then transition into the grabbing. It really depends on how your opponent reacts though, however.. Kokoro is pretty safe, so, in general, you can do that. The mid string grabs and stance transitions pretty much all work well, but are dependent on the situation.

My favorite grabs are:
PPT (this one really needs to be mixed up with PP6P for it to be effective)
(P)2KT (very useful when you know the opponent is gonna slow escape something and block)
3PT (only when the opponent is stunned, and delaying the T a bit)
33PT (due to the long range)

My favorite stance transitions are:
66P+K P+K (if it hits and then follow-up with 2P, the opponent has one chance to choose between reset, burst, mid kick launcher or high launcher)
2F+K P+K (due to the shortness, it's less obvious than PP2K, even though it's basically the same move)
8P P+K (makes the move have more follow-up options rather than a 50/50 guess for the opponent, and has long range)

The other ones are still useful at times, but these are the ones I end up using the most.

Musourenka

66P+K P+K (if it hits and then follow-up with 2P, the opponent has one chance to choose between reset, burst, mid kick launcher or high launcher)

Yeah, that's my favorite after her 1T. Heichu 2P in stun gives +18 minimum, so they can theoretically block her major launchers. However, 9P(F) will extend into +36(!) minimum (still in red stun), and 6KP will at least give you a mini-juggle.

Musourenka

:4::P::P::P::P: (last hit) causes sit-down stun as well.

Remind me to use BT 4K more; I didn't realize it stunned like that.

FlamingMuffin

BT 4K gives a nice +19 with fastest SE. No launcher or CB, but still good for sure. I forgot 4PPPP have that, likely as I don't use it much outside of combos heh.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD