"Lets do this!~" Kula Diamond Gameplay Discussion Thread

DestructionBomb

Standard Donor
So playing Kula, will write my own thoughts about the character within the pros and cons. Granted that this is subject to change, normally I'd wait like a month or two before writing something like this but I suppose it can be a head start.

Pros:

+
9F/11F/13F starting movekit while the i13 low is +0. The character is already been blessed with speed, which covers CH trades so it's automatic bumped tiers. (Basically Pai, except Pai had an i12 low that was +0).

+ Launcher with pretty good reach that can be used at a distance or from whiff punishment and still be relatively safe from certain general throws and strike punishment. (Diamond Breath).

+ Good ways to keep central frame advantage along with some enders being safe/semi-safe.

+ Has actual 50/50 attack scenarios from cancel which may condition people to attack in certain areas or condition them to block more often (just don't make it too obvious, diamond breath from every cancel will not save you all the time.)

+ A special jump-in attack that's +1 which in theory, this might be the only jump-in within the game where the raw 9P jump can be used for -legitimate- stun situations or for block checks after stun (stun only). Such as a :3::P: deep stun > :9::P::P: which will still land if the opponent does not hold, or :3::P: deep stun into :9::P: raw jump which might enable the opponent to hold expecting the :9::P::P: mid and you throw them for it, or extending the stun with something else entirely.

Note: When I say legitimate, I mean it in a sense that compared to other characters having a sort of "jump/flight" after stunning someone, Kula is the rare one where she can be relatively safe in the long run when doing it. Ex: When you stun someone with Lisa/Sarah/Momiji/Nyotengu back in DOA5 from like a light-moderate stun into a jump state "raw", sometimes they are left at disadvantage because they are in a recovery state due to their moves being used for something else entirely or the frame advantage provided was not enough to compensate for the jump/flight. On top that even if the stun is light from Kula, the light stun will compensate for adding frame advantage for the follow up :9::P::P: to connect (which is +1), this can create small fear from jump-ins.

+ Strong wall carry. Wall carry is especially important in DOA because any types of wall or environment will hurt regardless. A single situation can be a battle changing moment between the round and the next like triggering an interactable/hazard/breakable etc. Just look at how far the slide in the air within combos pushes the opponent away.

Cons:

-
Throw game is relatively weak actually. None of her throws pass 100+ points of damage, and none of them provide a sort of opening to a setup from a throw. Which is not too bad, but something to keep in mind.

- Throw recovery on each of her throws is a lot longer compared to the cast universally. She is the only character in the roster where she recovers slightly longer than the others (28F of recovery etc.), this limits options for safe throwing and low holding countermeasures. Unsure if this was intentional from TN but this is rather important. You could consider this another addition to her throw game being not so great.

Note: As of the latest patch for DOA6, Kula's throw recovery have been adjusted to be the same as the cast now.

- Some of the raw moves that can be cancelled (the raw moves itself when you don't cancel basically) are relatively unsafe. Because of that, there are times where you'd be better off cancelling entirely just to be safe in the long run.

- Apparently :9::P: (including Mai) is susceptible to throws or leaving you in a standing state when being hit when it becomes active early. Why it's a thing? good question, no idea since you are not even in a true air state. Best to probably ask TN that.

- Requires a small bit of execution to get the most of the character, but nothing too massive and demanding (can vary from player to player).

- Weight class is lightweight

-------------------------

My own conclusion: The character is pretty great. Not massively impressive on the grander scale of things, but nowhere near bad nor even average. Subject to change but with what she has, it's very hard to believe if she'd ever be bad to begin with. There will be obvious match up relations vs certain characters and the issue with the throws and recovery, but even I believe Kula has options to deal with certain characters. Overall, strong character imo.

Last edited:

DestructionBomb

Standard Donor
dog_kek.jpg

DestructionBomb

Standard Donor
Can they break hold the coconut?

They can, causes a force step.

However if the opponent goes behind them and they take too long or if they have no meter while a Fatal Rush (1st hit) lands, you cannot break hold out of it nor able to break hold while back turned.

DestructionBomb

Standard Donor
Last edited:
ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD