DOA5LR Mai Shiranui DOA5LR Discussion - Guest from FF/KOF series

J.D.E.

Standard Donor
Hahaha. Well, I'm probably one of her bigger fans out there and I played her since Fatal Fury 2 (and I wasn't a kid in that time, yes I'm quite old LOL). So, yes, ask me anything you want to know about her. But to be honest, as fighting game player I'm not good as I would wish to be, so for frame data, numbers in a pdf, mathemathics and all that shit that sounds to chinese to me you better address to @GreatDarkHero or @J.D.E. :D
When Mai comes out I'll try to do my best to be good with her and main her, but I'm very used to Rachel. I hope this won't be a problem and also I hope to not lose what I achieved with the demon slyer. Despite Mai, she's my DOA girl ^^
It's actually much easier to read frame data now than it was back in older games. You had to figure out how to count & figure out the data on your own by doing a lot of testing. Especially when they have the data up in training mode. Some games still want you to go & figure it out by just testing stuff with each character like KOF XIV, SFV, & Tekken 7, but DOA, KI, MK & others actually give you data to work with. Even if it seems inaccurate (but you can correct it yourself if you know how to count frames) it still gives you numbers to work with, even to figure out the actual frames. More importantly, you still have figure out actual data for yourself by setting in the lab testing all of your options regardless.

Last edited:

Shiranui

It's actually much easier to read frame data now than it was back in older games. Especially when they have the data up in training mode. Some games still want you to go & figure it out by just testing stuff with each character like KOF XIV, SFV, & Tekken 7, but DOA, MK & others actually give you data to work with. Even if it seems inaccurate (but you can correct it yourself if you know how to count frames) it still gives you numbers to work with, even to figure out the actual frames.
i can understand numbers and i can understand that a lot of frames at the beginning means slow and negative frames at the end means unsafe (is like that right?) But everytime I read someone talking about frame data starts to use some words and abreviations I don't understand and I just get lost. Like some messages ago things like "jab 13i". ??¿¿ Also just because I know that a certian move has "9" at the beginning and "-13" at the end I don't get what it is supose I should get from this info. I guess frame data make sense when you know frame data from your rival too, and that's a lot of numbers to remember and I barley remember my mom's birthday xD

J.D.E.

Standard Donor
i can understand numbers and i can understand that a lot of frames at the beginning means slow and negative frames at the end means unsafe (is like that right?) But everytime I read someone talking about frame data starts to use some words and abreviations I don't understand and I just get lost. Like some messages ago things like "jab 13i". ??¿¿ Also just because I know that a certian move has "9" at the beginning and "-13" at the end I don't get what it is supose I should get from this info. I guess frame data make sense when you know frame data from your rival too, and that's a lot of numbers to remember and I barley remember my mom's birthday xD
When you read something like "13i" or "i13", all that means is impact. It's the same thing as saying 13 frames (or 13f). That's all it means.

For stuff like the "-" like -13, it means that you're unsafe on block or on hit at -13. When you're that negative, that means that you're stuck for those amount of frames if you're blocked. When you're being hit for those amount of frames, you need to block instead of attempting to challenge because you're just increasing the risk of taking even more damage than what you're taking the 1st time that you get hit. Furthermore, the amount of damage that you take will double or even triple. Within those amount of frames, you can't attack because you're at a disadvantage (unless they don't punish you, you'll recover). That's why you're punished for them. Whereas a move that comes out of 9, or +9, it just means that you have the advantage. You're safe for those amount of frames & you're free to maneuver with those frames. If you want, I can send you a sheet & a video help you further understand it.

In DOA's case, -1, -2, -3, -4, -5, -6, & in some cases -7 are all considered safe moves. -6 & -7 can be throw with 5Ts, but some moves that are -6 usually have pushback far enough that you can't attempt it for some characters. Some moves can still be super unsafe, yet has a ton of push back on block that avoids you from being punished such as Kasumi's 6PK & PP6PK strings on block. They're -12, but safe because it has a lot of push back that creates distance between you & your opponent so far out of range. Grapplers can punish moves that are -7 since they have 4f throws while other characters have to use a 5T also known as neutral throw, but if you react in time, you can throw break it. Hence why it's called "semi-safe" because you lose no damage if you break the throw in time. If you don't you take damage. Anything that is -8 or more is unsafe which in most cases will be punished with a 7f or 7i throw (6T).

Last edited:

Shiranui

When you read something like "13i" or "i13", all that means is impact. It's the same thing as saying 13 frames (or 13f). That's all it means.

For stuff like the "-" like -13, it means that you're unsafe on block at -13. When you're that negative, that means that you're stuck for those amount of frames if you're blocked. Within those amount of frames, you can't attack because you're at a disadvantage. That's why you're punished for them. Whereas a move that comes out of 9, or +9, it just means that you have the advantage. You're safe for those amount of frames & you're free to maneuver with those frames. If you want, I can send you a sheet & a video help you further understand it.
that would be appreciated, thanks :)

J.D.E.

Standard Donor
that would be appreciated, thanks :)

Ok, yeah it's not DOA, but it will help you understand how to read frame data in all fighting games. The one for DOA only tells you about how inaccurate it is rather than understanding it. But I'm trying to help understand how to read before linking that. James Chen goes into a ton of detail with his explanation (the 2nd video). Once you look at the 1st video however, take this chart of Chun Li's & then look at it. It's a spreadsheet. It will help you learn how to read frame data for other fighting games. So whenever you see a spreadsheet from either excel, google docs, or from forum websites, it'll all look familiar to you. All you're doing is viewing frame data. This all will carry over for any fighter that you play

http://wiki.shoryuken.com/Street_Fighter_V/ChunLi

Last edited:

Dark-truth

Oh, did they specify how many Halloween costumes there going to be?
They could always give her one from another character that fits her...wouldn't be the first time they do that.
Maybe if you would look at the Seasonpass 5 info for once you'll see it. It's not that hard Jesus Christ.

gatto tom

Standard Donor
Are there videos with Mai's gameplay in that three shops?

I'm going to do some mods for Mai:
1) Valentine
2)Flower
3)New Secret Agent
4)Her default outfit destructible
5) Unofficial Private Paradise Bikini
6) Some Swaps
AND MORE!!

GreatDarkHero

This is frame advantage
Premium Donor
i9 frame jab? Check.
6P frame mid? Check.
More than a few of her moves cause some kind of stun state on NH. Can't wait to see how obnoxious her CH options are with all of this in mind.

KasumiLover

SovereignKnight_
Premium Donor
Some on camera screenshots of Mai, she's so beautiful:
IMG_20160824_153514.jpg
IMG_20160824_153521.jpg

It's a shame no footage of her has actually leaked yet, I looked everywhere. Her Santa dress seems to suggest just that those giant ball ribbon things she wears behind her default outfit will also carry over in her other outfits too.

KasumiLover

SovereignKnight_
Premium Donor
I'm keeping an eye out for any new pics or videos of her on twitter atm, there's one account I found the pictures from but they aren't allowed to record or take pics so they must be doing it on the sly. Hopefully the bunny one pops up soon, and her alternate defaults too, haven't seen those yet.

Jadeinchains

I'm keeping an eye out for any new pics or videos of her on twitter atm, there's one account I found the pictures from but they aren't allowed to record or take pics so they must be doing it on the sly. Hopefully the bunny one pops up soon, and her alternate defaults too, haven't seen those yet.

Someone is phone recording it now. Keisuke Banno.

I actually forgot about her alternate defaults but yeah I hope we see them soon, I also hope they aren't all recolours and there's atleast one other different one.

UncleKitchener

Standard Donor
She doesn't seem super safe, which may be one way of balancing her considering how fast she is.

I do wish to see her damage though. Having a regular air grab must be really good for combo scaling. The rest comes down to how well she can combo heavy characters.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD