Momiji General Discussion

J.D.E.

Standard Donor
I actually wanted to post more, but I was tired & had to get another 2 hour nap from getting up locking the door early in the morning (have the house to myself until 5:30).

Kasumi vs Momiji.

9/11/12 vs 10/12/12

Of course Kasumi has the upper hand with these speeds. She also has great options from guaranteed damage from 4H+K, 66T, H+K, PPK (44PPK). Her 6P does have some issues, but it won't stop her from using it for pokes. Even then, she has 4P (12i) & 3P (13i). Then of course she has her mixups with good oki options (4P2K, 6P2K, PP2K, etc). She's also really good at tick throwing because her 9i jab & pokes, & her fast throws (236T, 46T, 66T, 6T, 4T, 214T) all exist along with the string delay pressure.

For Momiji, it's not to say that she can't pressure. She has guaranteeds from 6H+K,1H, 6H & 9K but her offensive game is the stun > launch & fishing out holds for throw damage. Then she has her crushes. You also have to keep in mind to make good use of your guard breaking strings/tools that give you frame advantage (6KK, PPKK etc). She can be aggressive in the match, but more than anything, she has to be more patient & space her out because Kasumi beats her in the offensive pressure category.

If she goes into her jumping transitions (9P), Kasumi's 4PK (launcher) interrupts it & she gets a juggle. If she's parried from the punch or kick, she's left at -23 which gives Kasumi options to either move in with 66K, 66P, (guaranteed) or launch with 1T. She also has to be careful with strings like 3PP & PPPP (which are a very important part of Momiji) because although they're safe at -3, if Kasumi parries then, she's left at -7 & it takes 5 frames to recover from back turned (added together it's -12). which gives her a guaranteed launcher (4PK or 6P6K or even 66PPP+K true force tech). So you can't abuse it to the point that it gets predictable. 9K (-5) if parried she's -9 which also gives her a guaranteed launcher, but I wouldn't suspect any Miji to use this alone.

She excels out in space with the options that I mentioned & good footsies.

Momiji is fine against Kasumi. However, you can forget about outpoking her or fist fighting with her. That's not going to happen. You have the crush variety though (but she isn't freely crushable either). You'll have to play the spacing & keep off game with her. 7K 4K, 44K, 3K variants, 214P, & then your whiff punishers.

She can also create it with 7P & get in with H+K & 66K of her own. Her whiff punishers are 66P, 66PP, & 236P. Kasumi is trying to get in with 66P, 3P+K, 66K, & 66H+K.

For the wall game/ceiling game, they both net easy damage. The only difference is that Kasumi has it easier netting damage from the ceiling. Kasumi with 33P > 2P follow ups & 4K/3PK > 2P combos, Momiji with 4P into follow ups (or 8P & 6P+K combos). Kasumi has 236T which guarantees, 9P > 4P, 4H+K > 4P, 4H+K > 6KK, 4H+K > 3P, 4H+K > P+K, Freestepping 4H+K, her power blow/launcher & 33K. She also has 4H+K > 33K guaranteed after breakable objects (& her PL) all from the ceiling. Momiji has her izuna drop which is guaranteed from breakable objects (236P+KPP684T) & is the best option as a CB follow up. It can also be used for wall AND ceiling slam.

The match up itself imo is pretty even (5-5). Unless I'm missing something. I just thought I would make something going more into detail with factual info of the match.

EDIT: I mentioned Momiji's 6H because if Kasumi is abusing strings or tools of a mid kick & if she gets held, she's eating guaranteed damage. 1H if she's abusing lows or using them, it's also good damage for her.

Last edited:

Kuga

Remember about K+G. 12fr high ss killer that overprioritizes mids - great tool vs fast mids in many situatioms.

Also it seems that 6P can crush some highs. For example, in closed stance it crushes Milas P very nicely.

SilverForte

This char has amazing movement, I've won some matches solely by whiff punishment, 66p has got to be one of the best whiff punishment moves in the game.I'm loving her so far, she feels so solid.

Force_of_Nature

Standard Donor
This char has amazing movement, I've won some matches solely by whiff punishment, 66p has got to be one of the best whiff punishment moves in the game.I'm loving her so far, she feels so solid.

She is very solid. Her spacing is incredible. 66PP can whiff punishment almost anything from across the screen. 4K, 2H+K, 66P and 3KP are good semi-ranged pokes. H+K is also a great move along with KK. So much good shit. Oh and 8P <3.

Kuga

Whats nice with her is she have a moves for basically every situation. Great step killers, great and amazingly safe for that kind of move 7k as a keep out move, cool crushes, great pokes on mid distance, good launchers and can quite nicely control distance game. Solid character without really serious flaws.

If i had to change something with her it would be her 66pp so it would be like Leons with stun instead of juggle but a NC. But thats just my opinion:) .

SilverForte

Does anyone have any tips for dealing with players who have a strong defense, as opening up someone in neutral is the only real flaw I can find with this character.

Force_of_Nature

Standard Donor
Take advantage of moves such as P, PP, 6P, 2P, and 1P along with throws when in close range. At mid range or further, you can poke with 4K, 2H+K, 3KP~, or 66P for example. You don't really need to "open" someone up at mid range or further, just try to bait stuff that you can whiff punish with 66P/ 66PP or 4K.

Kuga

2P opens up everything for her in close distance. Aganist chars with i13 mids 2P after 2P is almost sadistic and is a great way for baiting low block/ hold. P is also a great poke with great recovery on block. Also try to delay second kick from KK. Kind of risky but not bad way is to sometimes use move with/ or her single jump and not doing any move from it as this often suprises people and bait their delayed counterattack. You can also throw them so after a while short tempered ones will try to abare you:). Shes not so helpless here:).

splslick

what do you guys think of 66k? just curious since I hardily use it and I believe it launches in stun? just curious to hear ya opinion on it

Force_of_Nature

Standard Donor
2P > 2P IS sadistic vs 13i mids lmao. I love her 2P so much.

LMAO, I do the say thing with Ayane xD. <3 i12 2P's.

splslick said:
what do you guys think of 66k? just curious since I hardily use it and I believe it launches in stun? just curious to hear ya opinion on it

A great go-to Mid K launcher and wall splatter. I think it may crush lows too though I'm not that certain. Quite unsafe on block however. It's perfectly fine to use as a launcher during stun though 8P and 3P can be "sneakier" for stun-launching.

Xernuht

It has its uses. It works as part of a dangerous launcher mix-up she has. Between 8P (High), 236-or-33P (Mid Punch), and 66K (Mid Kick), Momiji has 3 good launcher types she can immediately bust out as part of her stun-launch game, in addition to other less useful/more situational ones like Uzukaze PK, 6K (I think), and 8K.

A great go-to Mid K launcher and wall splatter. I think it may crush lows too though I'm not that certain. Quite unsafe on block however. It's perfectly fine to use as a launcher during stun though 8P and 3P can be "sneakier" for stun-launching.

3P's launch threshold is too high (Lv. 3, I think). It's better used as a lift stun. If you're launching with 3P, you may as well use 8P or 66K, risk a CB, or bait the hold.

Last edited:

Tenryuga

66K is a mid kick launcher to get people off your superior high and mid punch launchers. That's all as it is too unsafe to use as a whiff punisher.

Force_of_Nature

Standard Donor
3P's launch threshold is too high (Lv. 3, I think). It's better used as a lift stun. If you're launching with 3P, you may as well use 8P or 66K, risk a CB, or bait the hold.

Well, yeah, it's a threshold launcher like Christie's 4K or Kasumi's or Ein's 3P for example. It's its execution speed that makes it useful. You can use 3P to further the threshold then either do another 3P or launch with 8P. 8P & 3P are both very quick and look similar. 236P and 66K are noticeably slower and standout more, though 236P does give a nice launch.

Momiji players annoy the hell out of me a lot more with 3P & 8P than 236P or 66K.

Last edited:

Kuga

66K is good stun launcher as stated above. 3 launch opions will reduce hold possibility nicely. It also serves well in PL and enviromental juggles. I wouldnt depend on it as a low crush - leave that to her superb 7K and 9P~K which is also extremely good crush.

Its a shame her 8K is HK.

Tenryuga

I believe that momijis 3P4P is superior to her 236P when she has access to both. The juggle from 3P4P is only 2 points less damage in exchange for an unseeable launcher that can be used on reaction to SE and other things after a 3P lift stun. All other lift stuns I use 236P since 3P4P isn't going to launch.

Kuga

I believe that momijis 3P4P is superior to her 236P when she has access to both. The juggle from 3P4P is only 2 points less damage in exchange for an unseeable launcher that can be used on reaction to SE and other things after a 3P lift stun. All other lift stuns I use 236P since 3P4P isn't going to launch.
Indeed, after CH 3P another 3P mixed with 8P is best and powerful option when it cones to quick launch since its a pure guess with practicaly no chance of seeing which move is coming.

Kuga

Her 7K is God level move. Just how many times it saved my ass today i cant caunt. lts absolute must use on long distance aganist moves like Hayates 3K+G etc. In cqc and mid distace too since it has misleading range. I even managed to juggle twice after it today.

Xernuht

Started putting some new stuff to use at casuals. My results: certainly an improvement, especially at R1F.

• 3P is the best stun she has, since they can't SE your launchers after the fact (check the frames, tell me I'm wrong). They have to hold the follow-up, which leaves you with so many options: high launch, mid launch (kick or punch), CB, 41236T, your low throw of choice, more stun...
  • Off of Tenku T, I was reliably landing 3P4P~3P4PP on any slope, with some rare issues when I finished with 6PKKP.
  • She has no PFTs that make any sense to use. That said, 66PP is a godly wake-up kick punisher.
  • She has no good string delays, save for 6PP hold-baiting.
  • Unless I am missing something crucial, Kasumi and Christie are probably Momiji's worst match-ups, simply for the 9/11 high/mid issue forcing her to stay defensive.
  • Momiji might just be high-B/low-A tier, if you believe in tiers.
That said, for future research, is there really any point in using her 214PP+K?

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD