New to FSD? Introduce yourself here.

Pictured Mind

But as veterans do you guys have several characters at your disposal? I mean it takes a lot of effort to just master one right

Well, luckily you don't need multiple characters in DOA. Mostly because of the triangle system every character is viable. Every character can throw, hold and strike. You don't need a certain character to beat another character. I personally play multiple characters because playing one gets boring. Not to mention there's a lot of cool characters in DOA.

As for "mastering" a character goes; It really depends. I feel like even tho I've played Helena longer than my other characters, she's a book of secrets so to speak. Whenever I get back to her I find new things and new strategies that I didn't use before. For a character like Rachel you're basically done after a while (aside from a few little things).

TheRealCoxinator

As for "mastering" a character goes; It really depends. I feel like even tho I've played Helena longer than my other characters, she's a book of secrets so to speak. Whenever I get back to her I find new things and new strategies that I didn't use before. For a character like Rachel you're basically done after a while (aside from a few little things).
So damn true. Also of course there are some characters that do well against certain others, but it's not what decides the match. Mastering a character depends on how much you like the character and how much time you're willing to dedicate. I've played Ryu for at least 5 times longer than Jann Lee, but Jann Lee is just significantly cheesy so he's easier. A lot of the characters are great but some inputs are weird or difficult at times, for example Akira. As long as you put forth enough effort you can "git gud" with a fighter, this won't necessarily mean you got good at actually understanding the mechanics of the game though. Good luck usin Hitomi since IMO her inputs are awkward.

chuankaimah

Number one problem of a beginner: Dealing with different advice from veterans.......lol
One say Hitomi is okay. Some say no she's not.
So...you are saying mastering Hitomi isn't going to be easy although she is a good beginner character?

Pictured Mind

Number one problem of a beginner: Dealing with different advice from veterans.......lol
One say Hitomi is okay. Some say no she's not.

Hitomi is good. Honestly even if she wasn't you would still be able to play her because of the triangle system like I said earlier.

mrrwalden

Hey, I'm mrrwalden! And...I might as well be fresh to this franchise, honestly. I haven't touched Dead or Alive since 3 on the Xbox, but then, I only really dabbled in it with family and friends. It wasn't out of spite or anything for the game or franchise I just...kinda forgot, especially among other games I had at the time. Then, about 2 weeks ago, I saw DoA5LR in Wal-Mart, thought "hey, I think I used to like this," and bought it. I kinda figured DoA was still a thing, but I didn't know DoA5LR was the latest game and the last "edition" of it until I looked into it some more. But anyway, I've been loving it! Totally dig the gameplay and the new art direction for the characters. I'm trying to get at least somewhat competent at the basic strategies/mechanics before I go Gold and start getting into online matches.

So, I'll probably mostly be over at the LR threads. Outside of DoA I'm a fairly avid Sonic fan, but aside from that I just occasionally pick up whatever I might like. Anyway though, looking forward to having a good time here!

Providence

Hello, I joined way back in 2012 because I was expecting to get DOA5 (for numerous reasons that didn't pan out) but I got DOA5LR on PC recently, so I wish to release my mini mods here (don't expect great things, just little things that I would like to tweak, and make those tweaks available to users who are interested) also I only plan on posting SFW mods (pretty sure the forum rules require that anyway).

I'm relatively new here since I never interacted when I first joined, but I'm not new to DOA, I've been playing since DOA2 hardcore back on PS2, but missed DOA3 due to it being exclusive to the Xbox (:low:), got a 360 later for DOA4, but never got to own the game. DOA5LR being released on steam at just right perfect time has enabled me to own it finally! :)

I haven't had much opportunity to play against human players, most of the time I'm playing against a Tengu (jk) but seriously though I waste too much time playing against the AI, I'm so thirsty for online vs in this game (I know I would likely get wrecked due to my inexperience, but that's fine, it took me a long time to learn Street Fighter II, and every one after, so I know the learning curve for fighting games is kind of high)

Thank you :)

Matt Ponton

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Standard Donor
Frame data is just a shortcut for figuring out what moves beat other moves and what moves are good to use as safe pokes.

In general you'd be fine with starting off by learning her basics. Her strings that start with P, her mids, and her low attack options. Then find a simple launcher you can easily perform and learn the best juggle damage from it at the various launcher height levels.

Once you get that down you want to explore her moves to see which of her pokes and strings lead to good Critical Stun options. Basically learn the properties of each of your pokes both on normal hit, on counter hit, and when an opponent is in Critical.

After that you should learn which attacks are safe pokes and leave you at an advantageous situation when the move hits or is guarded.

chuankaimah

Got it. Now that's really detailed! Thanks. Let me put that into practice instead of spamming questions. Oh wait. Do I have to memorise all her combos before starting with trying various juggles

I'm still puzzled how do you guys deal with holds and that triangle system in general. I suppose i don't have enough reaction to recognize in split second what move is happening and react (especially when holds for high/mid/low requires different input) =/

KING JAIMY

Got it. Now that's really detailed! Thanks. Let me put that into practice instead of spamming questions. Oh wait. Do I have to memorise all her combos before starting with trying various juggles
I suggest learn the general basics in case you haven't already done so. Also, a juggle is generally a part of a combo since it is defined as hitting an aerial opponent, thus extending the amount of hits in your combo. Depending on how fast you learn, I suggest learning the best juggles for now and extending your knowledge later on. As me being someone who has a basic understanding of Hitomi, I'd say 7PK, 4KK, 6PK are your best juggles and after one of these juggles a typical combo ender would be P+KPP, 8PK6PK or PP6PK.

I'm still puzzled how do you guys deal with holds and that triangle system in general. I suppose i don't have enough reaction to recognize in split second what move is happening and react (especially when holds for high/mid/low requires different input) =/
I'm not sure what you mean by dealing with holds (i.e. how to correctly do them yourselves or reacting to an opponent's hold) but I will try to explain both situations regardless:

Triangle System

First off, you asked about how we deal with the Triangle System in general. Remember that the triangle system literally works like a triangle. Think of it as rock-paper-scissor. To use an analogy: Strikes (Rock) beat Throws (Scissors), Throws (Scissors) beat Holds (Paper) and Holds (Paper) beat Strikes (Rock).

How to deal with an opponent's hold
Thus, the way to deal with holds is by throwing your opponent. During the full animation of the hold, you can throw them for extra damage, which would be called a Hi-Counter Throw and this multiplies the raw throw damage by 1.5x. If they do a high or mid hold, do a standing throw. If they do low hold, do a crouching throw. It's as simple as that.

How to correctly use holds yourself
Holds are used as a means to deal with strikes. Recognizing if a move is a high, mid or low is crucial for responding with a correct hold. I can imagine that it's rather difficult to do so if you are new to the game. It is very important to learn the movestrings of the characters if you want to master holding. Obviously this is not something which can be done in one day, and it may take several months or even years to learn all characters' movestrings. Therefore you should get a better feel with holds over time and enough practice.

There are generally four mindsets when performing a hold: A guessing mindset, a (stun) escaping mindset, a predicting mindset and a reacting mindset.

- Guessing: You have no clue as to what's the opponent doing and just doing a random hold in hopes to guess right and inflict damage to your opponent.

- (Stun) escaping: Another mindset when doing holds is a (stun) escaping mindset. A well-known, infamous example of this is low holding to avoid getting hit by low and high follow-up strikes. This is not recommended since it makes one very predictable and people will punish whiffed low holds over time with a low throw.

- Predicting: You know or feel that a certain move is coming and are mentally preparing for your opponent's strike to counter with the appropriate hold. Recommended mindset if you see patterns in your opponent's playstyle (e.g. they tend to use a certain move in a certain situation).

- Reacting: Reacting involves holding a move without having the time to prepare/predict your opponent's next move. To master holding on reaction, it is vital to learn which strings are dynamic and which are static. A dynamic string is a string in which you can choose from different mix-ups/options. If you are on the defending part and holding, it will be harder to choose the right hold since the opponent has more options to choose from. A static string however, is a string in which a strike always leads into a strike with a certain hit type. For example, Jacky's 6P is a strike which has two follow-ups: A high kick and a high punch. Since both follow-ups are high and the opponent has no other options to choose from, you can react with a high hold!

Hope this helps! :)

chuankaimah

I have never been great at fighting games too, but DoA has been a game I have been waiting close to 5 years to get good at DoA, but I never owed a previous gen console, so I always went to friend's house etc. Never got a chance to really practice, so when DOALR got on PC, regardless whether it was poor quality it was a chance for me to actually practice the shit out of it, without having to rely on external sources. Then when I finally get a console after my national exams I can go all out. Anyway, I can not rage at DoA cos the passion for it keeps me going lol. Even though I suck so badly. Thanks for all the help! This community is really great haha.

As for the basics, I kinda gotten the grasp of the raw basics but I really need practice on reading people moves. I guess practice is what it all boils down too then

Matt Ponton

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Standard Donor
I guess practice is what it all boils down too then

Pretty much.

Every fighting game at some time reaches a point where the game just becomes a mind reading guessing game, including Street Fighter.

So there's a lot of technical stuff to learn sure until you get to that point, but eventually you and your opponent will reach a time where you already know the best damaging combos or acquire the technical dexterity to perform them at a moment's notice. Eventually though, someone will have to land a hit and both have to commit to a decision based on predictions in the ways their opponent acts.

So it's difficult for some super experienced DOA players to teach new players since a lot of the answers are based on the given situation, their opponent, and the experience of both themselves and their opponent. A lot of times I can just get the idea of a player after the first exchange, or I know that at his level I can pressure him into holding at certain points to get throws off or launchers. In fact, I find it boring when my opponent doesn't adapt and I'm just doing the same setups and combo because they won't stop pushing buttons and let me throw.

So it takes practice, both in the mental game and match-up technical game.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD