Nioh General Discussion

Brute

Standard Donor
I can't help but feel like one of the most significant improvements that resulted from the Demos was the replacement of the item durability with item familiarity. Made a world of difference for me, and I imagine others.

Oddly, I never felt like Nioh was a masocore game. Not that I think it was too easy or anything, but with the exception of a few jarringly odd difficulty spikes, the game kept a consistent progression that encouraged you to get better, as opposed to the standard masocore game which breaks your bones and then laughs at you for having bones to break.

CyberEvil

Master Ninja
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Donor
Finally sat down to finish this game and I will have my platinum as soon as my missing Twilight mission rolls back around. Twilight missions are actually one of my very few complaints about the game considering there is no genuinely good reason to limit them to two a day. The game heavily focuses on grinding once you clear the main content so the longevity is already there. No reason to pad it out in a way that frustrates certain types of players.

I finished with a highly unfocused build and largely ran dual katana and single katana the whole way through. I originally wanted to run a sword build only, but was forced to use other weapons for the proficiency-based mission unlocks and fell in love with how broken the dual katanas were. The Shrike is the best feeling counter in any action game in many years and it leads to a down attack. Just too good. I never bothered to respec.

Because I don't want to just gush about how excellent this fucking excellent game is, I'll throw out one more complaint: Regular Smith Customer. That was the dumbest, most grind-tastic piece of shit trophy I've ever bothered to do. Most others I won't but I need to have platinum for this game (and honestly the trophies are a little too easy anyway). I tried to do it legitimately but ended up grinding that Tachibana fetch quest over and over in the end. Fuck that trophy. Made me dislike playing the game for a good several hours and that's the opposite of what trophies should be about.

The treatment of what appeared to be the final boss was very well done and kind of surprising, actually. Was pretty easy and then...yeah. Well done, Team NINJA. The final boss itself was kinda clumsy but at least it felt epic enough and the intro to Divines was pretty cathartic after all of that.

Just noticed the time, though. Going to have to get to bed so I can be up at 6:30 for work. Love my new job but the insanely early hour I have to wake up to beat city traffic is killer. Hopefully tomorrow will be my missing mission.

Brute

Standard Donor
Okay, so I'm Title/Reputation hunting, and I need help with the Weaponless Wonder title. Apparently I'm supposed to "Defeat a Fiend with my bare hands." I tried doing this twice on the Amrita Fiends that appear in the Bridge of Bone mission, being careful not to hit them with anything other than my fists/kicks. Didn't register.

Is there any trick to this one I'm not getting?

I finished with a highly unfocused build and largely ran dual katana and single katana the whole way through. I [...] fell in love with how broken the dual katanas were.
That's what I've been saying, but no one believes me. Apparently there are some people who think that God of Wind III and Whirlwind II aren't sufficient to defeat nearly every enemy in the game with minimal effort.

I'll throw out one more complaint: Regular Smith Customer. That was the dumbest, most grind-tastic piece of shit trophy I've ever bothered to do.
Honestly, the Dungball Roller somehow managed to be even dumber, IMO. I was farming shit (literally) for hours on end. Absolutely asinine.

CyberEvil

Master Ninja
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Donor
Okay, so I'm Title/Reputation hunting, and I need help with the Weaponless Wonder title. Apparently I'm supposed to "Defeat a Fiend with my bare hands." I tried doing this twice on the Amrita Fiends that appear in the Bridge of Bone mission, being careful not to hit them with anything other than my fists/kicks. Didn't register.

Is there any trick to this one I'm not getting?

That's what I've been saying, but no one believes me. Apparently there are some people who think that God of Wind III and Whirlwind II aren't sufficient to defeat nearly every enemy in the game with minimal effort.

Honestly, the Dungball Roller somehow managed to be even dumber, IMO. I was farming shit (literally) for hours on end. Absolutely asinine.
I got the dung ball one mercifully quickly. Took maybe an hour. RNGesus smiled upon me.

Brute

Standard Donor
RNGesus has forsaken me.

Perhaps I should have attended after-school DnD study more often, after all.

DestructionBomb

Standard Donor
17022128_822772971197133_7209969754090381444_n.jpg

CyberEvil

Master Ninja
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Donor
Got my Platinum. I desperately want more content. Masamune Date should be in April's DLC and given that he was in service to Ieyasu and Nioh is set before he was granted the Sendai Domain, he will probably be a friendly rival. Considering we don't know when the DLC is set or if it really has a a story that ties into the main campaign it could be just about anything, though.

Xhominid The Demon Within

Finally played the game and went through the intro and the first stage and honestly, I'm having a hell of a time.
Died a few times(one on Transformed Derrick the Executioner...yeah, most of my deaths is me rushing in too hard...)

The game truly isn't hard, but I would say it's more meticulous. This really is the type of game where it's best to plan out your battles rather than rush in headfirst.
I ultimately defeated the Onryoki due to having plenty of elixirs while the main difficulty was the iron balls he was chained to, after that, he wasn't too difficult past a lucky hit here and there and again not truly acknowledging my Ki management.

CyberEvil

Master Ninja
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Donor
Learn to use your mobility properly. The game is best played fast. Playing slowly will get you through the first few story missions and then you'll get overwhelmed.

DestructionBomb

Standard Donor
Finally played the game and went through the intro and the first stage and honestly, I'm having a hell of a time.
Died a few times(one on Transformed Derrick the Executioner...yeah, most of my deaths is me rushing in too hard...)

The game truly isn't hard, but I would say it's more meticulous. This really is the type of game where it's best to plan out your battles rather than rush in headfirst.
I ultimately defeated the Onryoki due to having plenty of elixirs while the main difficulty was the iron balls he was chained to, after that, he wasn't too difficult past a lucky hit here and there and again not truly acknowledging my Ki management.

If you need help let me know, though I fear it may take away your game experience if I do which I prefer to avoid since it's your game. Hopefully you can manage around the mechanics and enemy/boss hassle.

Xhominid The Demon Within

Learn to use your mobility properly. The game is best played fast. Playing slowly will get you through the first few story missions and then you'll get overwhelmed.

That makes sense. I don't mean plan like Dark Souls slow, I mean watch your stamina meter management and plan according to that. Even with Ki Regen, it does take a minute to get it to a level where you can attack but not immediately waste too much stamina and open yourself up.

If you need help let me know, though I fear it may take away your game experience if I do which I prefer to avoid since it's your game. Hopefully you can manage around the mechanics and enemy/boss hassle.

Thanks for that, but I don't need the help now. If anything, I'll probably ask for advice here and there.

Fiend Busa

Standard Donor
Hm so you can loop the tengu if you keep one hitting him.

Once he does the leg twirl, you can just do a single strike and it will keep doing the leg twirl forever lol

Brute

Standard Donor
Getting a bit tired of every last revenant having the Red Demon armor.

Hm so you can loop the tengu if you keep one hitting him.

Once he does the leg twirl, you can just do a single strike and it will keep doing the leg twirl forever lol
I discovered that, too. Problem is that you have to have enough room to dance, and Tengu aren't really a problem in open areas. The difficult Tengu are the ones on the narrow cliffs, where all you can do is dash into them every strike or cheese them with some BS like Whirlwind II.

Fiend Busa

Standard Donor
Getting a bit tired of every last revenant having the Red Demon armor.

I discovered that, too. Problem is that you have to have enough room to dance, and Tengu aren't really a problem in open areas. The difficult Tengu are the ones on the narrow cliffs, where all you can do is dash into them every strike or cheese them with some BS like Whirlwind II.

You can just dash into it *(just have to time it right and use high stance dash for tight areas) or block.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD