• Ninja Gaiden 4

Votes: 5 21.7%
  • Nioh 3

Votes: 5 21.7%

• Total voters

KasumiLover

xX_APO_Prince_Xx
Premium Donor
Oh yes because NiCO got tons of new players joining up by the droves. I hear she is also an incredibly popular Venus Vacation character too.

I'd rather not have loli characters that attract pedophiles and other creepy weirdos to the games I play.
There's always gonna be those types tho who play games for that tho, especially since Marie Rose had joined and Honoka, and a few of the girls were barely legal before DOA5 aged them up a bit.

Nico is also very popular iirc?

Rob

The Dragon Shrine Maiden
Premium Donor
NiCO is one of the most popular characters in Japan, DOA's home country. And she was voted #1 to join DOAXVV in Famitsu's last character poll.

And I think you already know how popular Marie is.

But based on your "creepy loli pedo" remark, it seems like you don't actually play DOA at all - otherwise you'd know that Marie and NiCO are both 18. Unlike Ayane and Kasumi, who were literal 16 and 17 year-old children up until DOA5.
VV has been out for how many years now? Tina was #2 on that poll and she got in almost 2 years ago.

Keep coping

TheIndustrialCowboy

NiCO Evangelist
Premium Donor
VV has been out for how many years now? Tina was #2 on that poll and she got in almost 2 years ago.

Keep coping
Tina's voice actress isn't a pop singer, she has a lot more availability to do things like DOAXVV. Have you seen Sumire Uesaka's back catalogue of voice work and discography over the past five years? Ofc she doesn't have time to do voice work for a gacha game with monthly updates.

That isn't the point - the point is that the fans voiced their opinion, and NiCO is number 1, like it or not. And like it or not, people that actually play and win tournaments use NiCO. BboyDragon has been absolutely tearing up the DOA6 tournament scene as NiCO this year.

TheIndustrialCowboy

NiCO Evangelist
Premium Donor
Come on guys, it's not worth arguing over DOA characters, Nico is well established either way and she's popular no matter what anyone says. :-D
You're probably right, but see it from my perspective: NiCO is the reason why I play DOA. When someone says "NiCO should be removed from DOA" and calls me things like "pedophile" and "weirdo" I'm going to take umbrage and fire back. NiCO means everything to me and I refuse to compromise when it comes to defending what is important to me.

The insults, hatemail, and overall ignorance I've had thrown my way since joining the DOA community are absolutely baffling to me - all because of the character I choose to represent.
The main reason why the DOA community continues to be divided is because people like Rob refuse to even try to understand and accept that other players might like different elements of the franchise.

Awesmic

Standard Donor
Oh yes because NiCO got tons of new players joining up by the droves. I hear she is also an incredibly popular Venus Vacation character too.

I'd rather not have loli characters that attract pedophiles and other creepy weirdos to the games I play.
That's some INSANE projection.

Are you sure you don't wanna walk that back?

KasumiLover

xX_APO_Prince_Xx
Premium Donor
You're probably right, but see it from my perspective: NiCO is the reason why I play DOA. When someone says "NiCO should be removed from DOA" and calls me things like "pedophile" and "weirdo" I'm going to take umbrage and fire back. NiCO means everything to me and I refuse to compromise when it comes to defending what is important to me.

The insults, hatemail, and overall ignorance I've had thrown my way since joining the DOA community are absolutely baffling to me - all because of the character I choose to represent.
The main reason why the DOA community continues to be divided is because people like Rob refuse to even try to understand and accept that other players might like different elements of the franchise.
Don't worry I understand that but you also don't want to wind up shooting yourself in the foot either. Since I've been here, I've been called names, been called ugly, had a family member's death used as an insult and when I did retaliate I was punished and I wouldn't wish that on you since I was already in a bad place when it happened, sometimes it's best to just ignore what opposing opinions are

One thing DOA has taught me is that you have to have tough skin since we're always going to be the black sheep of the FG community but I learned to not care. If DOA does get a new update or title you definitely want to have that same cold attitude since someone is always gonna have something to say about who you use and who you are in conjunction. I revel in knowing people dislike my favorite characters and me personally since it suits me since I'm no longer a victim, more the trigger.

gfg$

What is historic series that Yasuda mentioned here "I would like to make 2024 the year when we take a fresh look at Koei Tecmo and Team Ninja historic series "?

TheIndustrialCowboy

NiCO Evangelist
Premium Donor
What is historic series that Yasuda mentioned here "I would like to make 2024 the year when we take a fresh look at Koei Tecmo and Team Ninja historic series "?
My guess would be that he's referring to Wo Long and Rise Of Ronin, since they deal with historical themes and elements of Chinese and Japanese history - although he may be using the word "historic" as a roundabout to draw a connection to games significant specifically to Koei Tecmo and Team Ninja's history, like Ninja Gaiden and DOA.

DyByHands

I would love to have anything DOA or NG but my vote goes to Nioh 3 or whatever not-souls game they do next. Its been clear that the old Team Ninja titles dont mean much to Koei at all.

Rob

The Dragon Shrine Maiden
Premium Donor
Tina's voice actress isn't a pop singer, she has a lot more availability to do things like DOAXVV. Have you seen Sumire Uesaka's back catalogue of voice work and discography over the past five years? Ofc she doesn't have time to do voice work for a gacha game with monthly updates.

That isn't the point - the point is that the fans voiced their opinion, and NiCO is number 1, like it or not. And like it or not, people that actually play and win tournaments use NiCO. BboyDragon has been absolutely tearing up the DOA6 tournament scene as NiCO this year.

I can count on one hand how many NiCO fans there are. Famitsu must have polled just that many.

Lmao @ "tearing up the DOA6 tournament scene". What competition is there? Nobody serious is playing. DOA6 competitive days are long gone. NiCO is more braindead to play than Diego and safer to boot. Considering the "competition" these days, I could win with one hand as NiCO. Maybe even just one button.

Bro you've literally made a fictional character from a video game your identity lmao. Seek help before you end up like Awesmic.

And dude calm down, she has been in one game and isn't even in the gacha spinoff. You don't represent 99% of other DOA players either.

I truly don't see anything redeeming with the character. She sticks out like a sore thumb among the rest of the cast, not just for being uglier than a Rem clone but also her moveset. She acts like a cunt. Has zero sex appeal. I'm gagging at the thought of her in a bikini. Gross.

Just embrace it. I got massacred for playing Alpha 152 by probably 70% of the community and she wasn’t even that good. If DOA returns NiCO is likely to return as well because she is now imperative to the story.
Alpha-152 has core values though.

Last edited:

TheIndustrialCowboy

NiCO Evangelist
Premium Donor
I truly don't see anything redeeming with the character. She sticks out like a sore thumb among the rest of the cast, not just for being uglier than a Rem clone but also her moveset. She acts like a cunt. Has zero sex appeal. I'm gagging at the thought of her in a bikini. Gross.

LMAO - just three comments ago you were balking about not wanting "pedophiles" and "creepy weirdos" playing your game, and here you are now having a whinge about "zero sex appeal". I guess every accusation really is a confession! :D

Not everyone is focused on how sexy the characters are - there are other reasons to like a character (ya know, for those of us who aren't mindless gooners).

Rob

The Dragon Shrine Maiden
Premium Donor
I am talking exclusively about loli characters. Yes they have zero sex appeal and attract creeps.

DOA is all about sexy characters though.

Let me remind you what DOA is all about:

ezgif-4-9a3a7c0a3b.png

Rob

The Dragon Shrine Maiden
Premium Donor
But anyway on a serious note, the NiCO discussion did get me thinking more about why I have a problem with the newcomers to the series.

I feel the reason the recent characters stick out so much is not only because of a directorial change but a change in design.

Itagaki and old TN designed them as sexy fighting game characters first right? Like Itagaki said it himself what sells for him is “sex and violence”.

These new characters are designed to be cute and sell merchandise first, and designed for the game second. Thats why their moveset doesn’t even match anymore.

For example take Helena. She's a rich aristocrat, makes sense her moveset is very technical and refined? It also makes sense she would appropriate an exotic Asian fighting style. Tina and Bass are American and it makes sense for them to be pro wrestlers. Leifang is another good example. She comes from a rich background. Thats why she has interactions with Helena and why they share so much in common when it comes to the philosophy of their fighting styles. They're refined and exotic.

Like there was truly thought behind these characters. Christie is a backstabbing bitch that usually kills her targets in discrete ways, therefore she's got snake fists

But now you have a “Swedish” character that fights "systema" (and lets face it it looks more like ballet). Their fighting styles are an afterthought.

Nowadays they search for the trending characters on the internet (Like Rem for NiCO) and tack on a fighting style on them.

The way they did the old characters were actually thought through.

Also lets face it even the tacked on movesets have no staying power because theyre super basic and honestly badly animated.

The thing too that's jarring about NiCO is that she looks straight out of an anime where DOA has always had that “anime” middle ground in the designs. She's honestly a boring ass character with an uninspired design and ugly looking moveset.

Also BTW regarding your "Unlike Ayane and Kasumi, who were literal 16 and 17 year-old children up until DOA5." comment, neither of those two characters acted like 5 year olds.

And let's be real, age numbers mean nothing in games. What really matters is how you portray a character. You can say shes 3000 years old if she looks like an 8 year old, talks like an 8 year old and acts like an 8 year old shes a kid.

Last edited:

deathofaninja

Premium Donor
News Team
I can't complain about NiCO because I always wanted a version of Weatherby (DOA Movie Character) in the mainline series. I like characters with odd differences like Alpha-152, Tengu, Omega, Rachel, NiCO & Kula that didn't just feel like fighting styles you see in every other fighting game.

That being said, I've never had an issue with any of the DOA characters. I've liked them all. I was a little disappointed with how Honoka's fighting style turned out, but I always look forward to seeing them at tournaments to see what vets of the character were actually able to do.

As far as DOA7 returning I do think they should do one final game with Victor as a powerful and disturbing character before rebooting the game entirely. I've always wanted to see what he would be like as a boss character as well and assumed before NiCO ever came out that perhaps he could fight with electricity.

I think if Team NINJA wanted to save money they should approach things more like they did with DOA5 vanilla and let the community rebuild and expand on the tournament scene instead of bombarding the experiment of big e sport prize pots. It's important to let the community show how interested they are in the beginning.

The more casual players should be rewarded for their loyalty as well that want T&A.

Last edited:

Rob

The Dragon Shrine Maiden
Premium Donor
I can't complain about NiCO because I always wanted a version of Weatherby (DOA Movie Character) in the mainline series. I like characters with odd differences like Alpha-152, Tengu, Omega, Rachel, NiCO & Kula that didn't just feel like fighting styles you see in every other fighting game.

That being said, I've never had an issue with any of the DOA characters. I've liked them all. I was a little disappointed with how Honoka's fighting style turned out, but I always look forward to seeing them at tournaments to see what vets of the character were actually able to do.

As far as DOA7 returning I do think they should do one final game with Victor as a powerful and disturbing character before rebooting the game entirely. I've always wanted to see what he would be like as a boss character as well and assumed before NiCO every came out that perhaps he could fight with electricity.

I think if Team NINJA wanted to save money they should approach things more like they did with DOA5 vanilla and let the community rebuild and expand on the tournament scene instead of bombarding the experiment of big e sport prize pots. It's important to let the community show how interested they are in the beginning.

The more casual players should be rewarded for their loyalty as well that want T&A.
This is why DOA5 was the perfect marriage between horny and competitive. I want that kind of balance again.

TheIndustrialCowboy

NiCO Evangelist
Premium Donor
Tina and Bass are American and it makes sense for them to be pro wrestlers.
Tina and Bass are literally just stereotypes of what Japanese think Americans are like. Tina's country twang and cowboy attire seals the deal.
They aren't bad characters and they have always had a place in DOA, but let's not pretend like they took a genius to come up with.
The way they did the old characters were actually thought through.
More "old man barks at cloud" - your nostalgia is obscuring your judgement.
Also BTW regarding your "Unlike Ayane and Kasumi, who were literal 16 and 17 year-old children up until DOA5." comment, neither of those two characters acted like 5 year olds.

And let's be real, age numbers mean nothing in games. What really matters is how you portray a character. You can say shes 3000 years old if she looks like an 8 year old, talks like an 8 year old and acts like an 8 year old shes a kid.
NiCO does not act like a child at all - she is a highly intelligent scientist, and maintains a cold and calculating demeanor in pursuing her goals. NiCO is also one of the few characters that actually makes logical decisions over the course of the DOA6 story mode - Ayane falls for her trap perfectly.

Rob

The Dragon Shrine Maiden
Premium Donor
Tina and Bass have more originality in their pinky finger than NiCO has in her entire body. APOLOGIZE

In fact, name me one wrestling diva IRL that is like Tina.

Last edited:

deathofaninja

Premium Donor
News Team
My guess would be that he's referring to Wo Long and Rise Of Ronin, since they deal with historical themes and elements of Chinese and Japanese history - although he may be using the word "historic" as a roundabout to draw a connection to games significant specifically to Koei Tecmo and Team Ninja's history, like Ninja Gaiden and DOA.

Not exactly. After reviewing this information, he absolutely denies another Ronin, Wo Long or Nioh due to the time periods mentioned. Looking at Koei Tecmo specifically he's talking about the Atelier gacha which is coming to NA sometime this month, and looking at Koei Tecmo and Team NINJA he could only possibly be referencing a new Dead or Alive and or NINJA Gaiden both. Take a look at our most recent article for the full analysis.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD