DOA5U Official Tier List

Blackburry

Standard Donor
Lol that's hilarious. Kind of tough to defend your character if you say that your character has no bad matchups. I don't think I've seen a FG character have absolutely no bad match ups in quite some time. Kabal(not sure)? ST. Akuma?

d3v

Lol that's hilarious. Kind of tough to defend your character if you say that your character has no bad matchups. I don't think I've seen a FG character have absolutely no bad match ups in quite some time. Kabal(not sure)? ST. Akuma?
ST Akuma for sure.

Even 3S Chun has problems with 3S Yun (and possibly Twelve).

EDIT: I believe vanilla SFIV Akuma only had one bad matchup (Cammy), and vanilla Sagat possibly had none as well.

Last edited:

djynho

Well DOA is very unique! Because of holds, a character's tools might never really apply in a match at a tournament because technically; keyword is technically, any character could win every tournaments if the guy that's using said character just apply the appropriate response to the triangle rock paper scissors system successfully every time.

And tbh Kwiggle makes Christie looks god tier, a whole lot more efficiently than anyone else including E-Mann in tournaments offline. But if you consider character tools only, you'll see that potentially Lei Fang is a bad match up for Christie. But for us to really see it, one would have to master her to her highest potential level and that person needs to also have the kind of reading and reaction ability that people like emann, cali and kwiggle have, to name a few.

Jyakotu

Standard Donor
I hope you guys can do better in Dead or Alive 5 Last Round with these tiers. It's about as believable as God Tier Kokoro in Japan lol.
If you watch the Japanese play DOA5, they play it completely differently from Americans. They play DOA5 more like a faster VF5FS and Kokoro is seen as a faster Akira.

Matt Ponton

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Standard Donor
It is ironic, because last time I was there Katsuninken told me he thinks Eliot (and Hayate) is top tier.

Of course, I was informed by a source that he only thinks Eliot is top tier because a player who mains Eliot is always able to beat Katsuninken with Eliot. The informant also told me that that's the reason Eliot was nerfed in the patches he was nerfed in. Informant didn't work for Team NINJA mind you.

Blackburry

Standard Donor
Players rank Eliot who have no idea what he's entirely capable of. Some how Phase 4 who get's throw punished off everything and lacks tools to open up characters makes it to C tier.

I hope you guys can do better in Dead or Alive 5 Last Round with these tiers. It's about as believable as God Tier Kokoro in Japan lol.

Well while Phase may be bad she gets saved by her ridiculous damage output.

iHajinShinobi

Standard Donor
If you watch the Japanese play DOA5, they play it completely differently from Americans. They play DOA5 more like a faster VF5FS and Kokoro is seen as a faster Akira.

Akira is neutrally faster than Kokoro. What?

It is ironic, because last time I was there Katsuninken told me he thinks Eliot (and Hayate) is top tier.

Of course, I was informed by a source that he only thinks Eliot is top tier because a player who mains Eliot is always able to beat Katsuninken with Eliot. The informant also told me that that's the reason Eliot was nerfed in the patches he was nerfed in. Informant didn't work for Team NINJA mind you.

I can believe Hayate being high to top 10, as he's in my personal top 10. For Eliot, that can be true with Vanilla because let's be honest, no one anywhere in the U.S. knew the potential for the roster or would have known (and this is to be true right now even with 5U, we see maybe "almost" half the roster used in tournament play frequently but not every player is high level or top level either).

But even in this game, I really think people are looking at Eliot incorrectly, as well as Kokoro and some other characters. Japan doesn't think Ayane is any good because they don't have her figured out at all.

Last edited:

Jyakotu

Standard Donor
This is exactly why I tend to try to stay out of tier discussions when it comes to 3D fighters. The system mechanics make everyone viable, but realistically, some characters have better tools and can overwhelm certain characters. And even with holds, some characters are better in that area than others.

Radiance

Tools? From my understanding of the tier list discussion here on FSD, Eliot is considered low tier because no one talks about him enough nor knows what he's capable of.

=/

Jyakotu

Standard Donor
Tools? From my understanding of the tier list discussion here on FSD, Eliot is considered low tier because no one talks about him enough nor knows what he's capable of.

=/
Then top Eliot players should contribute to the discussion. I remember asking why Eliot is considered to have a favorable match up against both the Bryants, when I struggled against both of them (mostly Sarah). Yet, nobody is speaking up. But compared to his DOA4 and vanilla DOA5 iterations, DOA5U Eliot is not good. He can win matches, any character can, but it's more of an uphill battle for Eliot compared to, say, his master Gen Fu.

iHajinShinobi

Standard Donor
There aren't any Eliot mains playing the character at a high level in the U.S. Some characters still haven't been seen at a high level yet and that isn't because it's not a possibility. It's because players either aren't that good yet, or haven't been able to attend an offline event with said character yet (reasons will vary) to prove themselves.

T Boy is an Ein main and did very at Absolute Battle 2014 this past weekend for his second tournament major. He's not a high level player yet, but he'll get there. More character representation like that has to be displayed often.

This tier list isn't set in stone because people don't really have a better idea about how capable certain characters really are yet. That being said, I can never accept Eliot being bottom tier or a bad character, no matter what anyone says because no one in the U.S. has proven this as a fact.

Last edited:

Jyakotu

Standard Donor
But playing with Eliot as long as I have, I can honestly say that he does have a lot of difficult match ups. This is due to the fact that there are characters in the game that can do what he does a lot better than he can.

Jyakotu

Standard Donor
Then the tier list is pointless, since skill will always come first. You might have not found any match ups difficult, but I found some match ups difficult with Eliot. But then again, I'm a casual player, while you're a competitive player.

Tempest

I think what Hajin has been saying is pretty true. This game has a relatively small competitive community and we haven't really seen a lot of characters at their full potential, and furthermore a lot of characters only have maybe one or two people using them at a high level so we can't really compare playstyles. Not to knock anyone's skill (I'm certainly not in a position to be doing that) but I think as the game grows bigger we'll be able to have a more accurate read on things.

Intelligent Alpha

^ You think this game would be somewhat big after two years and it doesn't help when you only see a handful of characters at tournaments. MUs are bad in the sense that they limit the potential use of the lesser characters. (ie: When E-Mann took out Master - Master switched just to "collect his thoughts") Not saying that was a bad thing, but it would be nice to see the other characters. However, the tourney competitors may like who they play as - it just so happens the MUs are in their favor.

Even S tier characters can get beat; therefore, the tier thing is meaningless - just like a player's rank online! I use a C tier character, but every now and then I've won and against players of equal or better skill. (I'm an S-, btw, but I'm not as good as you would believe knowing it! The other thing has happened, too where I get too much credit sometimes)

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD