Community Opinion: Dead or Alive 5 Last Round Dividing the Community

Kohlrak

I'm just not looking forward to the community being divided between last gen and current gen. The majority of us know that a lot of people either can't afford or aren't even thinking about getting the current gen yet. I'm one of the people who can't afford it, and it's a little frustrating that I won't be able to play some top contenders (even if it is just online) because of this.

I'm an online warrior because I can't make it to offline majors; the plane ride just can't happen most of the time. Not only that I'm on the East Coast, and no offense to New England, but the majority of better players are in the Central to Western US areas.

I'm ready for Last Round, I'm ready for new balance changes, i'm ready for all of that even without the flagship content the trailers have been teasing for what seems like forever. But I'm not ready to miss out on the opportunity to face talented players that will be gone for it.

Brother, i'm with you. Worse when most of the online warriors are moving onto the PS4. I'm not ready to be abandoned. However, that's not the end of fighting for me. Although there's no interest in DoA in my community, i do have people i can actually hit and they just enjoy hitting back. There's also smash bros and street fighter. When DoA leaves me behind, I can leave DoA behind just the same. I already knew that I probably was not investing in DoA6, so this is just another middle finger from Sony in my eyes (MS doesn't count because it's always shoving it's middle finger in my face).

Kurukurtz

Brother, i'm with you. Worse when most of the online warriors are moving onto the PS4. I'm not ready to be abandoned. However, that's not the end of fighting for me. Although there's no interest in DoA in my community, i do have people i can actually hit and they just enjoy hitting back. There's also smash bros and street fighter. When DoA leaves me behind, I can leave DoA behind just the same. I already knew that I probably was not investing in DoA6, so this is just another middle finger from Sony in my eyes (MS doesn't count because it's always shoving it's middle finger in my face).
It's just a personal problem for me, I can't vouch for other people's situations and all the same playing videogames isn't even close to priority for a lot more people than I can process. But that doesn't mean I'm not upset; neither does it mean that this is something that should be overlooked by game dev and producer companies.

It's common knowledge that the transition to the current gen is difficult this time around for one reason or another. Two gens ago, the majority of people easily transferred(xbox>360, ps2>ps3 gc>Wii). But that's that, and this is this(wow that does not sound as good in English as it does in Japanese).

Last edited:

Kohlrak

It's just a personal problem for me, I can't vouch for other people's situations and all the same playing videogames isn't even close to priority for a lot more people than I can process. But that doesn't mean I'm not upset; neither does it mean that this is something that should be overlooked by game dev and producer companies.

Your trouble is reminiscent of the issue facing PR reps. Console transition times are when everything's dead. On one hand, they're trying to compete with their rivals technology wise, on the other hand their killing their sales because it's hard on the game devs to invest in games they know won't sell because they're launch titles.

Though, with the ps4, Sony is showing that it totally fails to understand it's main advantage over Microsoft in the PS3/XBox/Wii era.

It's common knowledge that the transition to the current gen is difficult this time around for one reason or another. Two gens ago, the majority of people easily transferred(xbox>360, ps2>ps3 gc>Wii). But that's that, and this is this

The last switch hurt. The consoles before weren't that expensive, but they're just going up and up in price. And, aside from a handful of games, there is NO incentive to upgrade. The PS3 is quite capable of spitting out cutting edge graphics, where the previous switch was for consoles to spit out HD graphics (the gain is significantly less [wii was playing the gameplay end with the controller]). Who wants to shell out 400 usd, especially when you go to amazon and they dropped a whole 0.99 usd just so they could say it's on sale (remember, the PS3 was the cheapest blu-ray player on the market when it came out)? Add the PS4's pay for online feature, when it's quite possible to make a 0 cost online setup for consoles.

Stores know this, which is why no one is buying last gen games. They need next gen games to get people to buy those consoles before the price drop happens and they start loosing money because they bought too many consoles. Most people shelled out 300 usd for a wii and 300 usd for a ps3 or xbox, and they know they're not going to do it this gen because it hurt too much before. Heck, i haven't even had my ps3 for a whole year.

And to really kill things off, when people talk about the next gen, i hear only about Xbox 1 and WiiU. I could go on for hours why this is, so Sony needs to start planning and thinking before they end up like SEGA. Though, everyone, especially gamers and retailers and game devs are going to be hurt the most by all of this.

(wow that does not sound as good in English as it does in Japanese).

英語は丁寧語も難しいからと思いますねぇ。

Intelligent Alpha

@Kohlrak:

I pretty much agree with all that you said. To answer your question about ME3. If you thought Master's rant was something or that my rants are worse than his, the shitstorm regarding ME3 blows both of us to hell and back many times over!

And here's the kicker: The part people were upset about was the ending! I assume you haven't played the game, but I'll try not to spoil, but essentially what it came down to was to put it in DOA terms, Alpha 152 in three colors! Red, Green or Blue! The same character in a different color!

The rationale by the producer was "to leave things to the imagination!" This ignited the brushfire! Yet, before we get to this point: something in the story leaves folks going "wtf"? IOW, folks were comparing the ending and the last few minutes that led up to it to "Lost!" More questions than answers, but every-time we get an answer it just leads to more questions. Some even said the producer and writer locked themselves in a room and wrote something without peer-checking!

Fans were throwing fits, writing up petitions making threats for Bioware's head! Hell. I think both founders left because of it! Of course, EA's name (BW's boss) came up and the disgust with them in general ("ME2 was ruined, too!" MS Studios had the first game, I believe)

The ending didn't last any longer than 10 mins (I nearly got there before the disc messed up).

Anyway, we ended up getting "The Extended Cut" (for free of course), that showed us what should have been shown to us in the game to begin with!

Again, it was much worse than this reply makes it sounds, but I don't take kindly being called out (I wasn't, just saying) while it's fine for Master because he's more respected and known. Given how he & I are saying it's more than what we are or aren't being shown here! If this gets to Mass Effect 3's level, then people can/should be called out! I think we're doing a wonderful job keeping the venom at a reasonable level.

Kohlrak

@Kohlrak:

I pretty much agree with all that you said. To answer your question about ME3. If you thought Master's rant was something or that my rants are worse than his, the shitstorm regarding ME3 blows both of us to hell and back many times over!

And here's the kicker: The part people were upset about was the ending! I assume you haven't played the game, but I'll try not to spoil, but essentially what it came down to was to put it in DOA terms, Alpha 152 in three colors! Red, Green or Blue! The same character in a different color!

The rationale by the producer was "to leave things to the imagination!" This ignited the brushfire! Yet, before we get to this point: something in the story leaves folks going "wtf"? IOW, folks were comparing the ending and the last few minutes that led up to it to "Lost!" More questions than answers, but every-time we get an answer it just leads to more questions. Some even said the producer and writer locked themselves in a room and wrote something without peer-checking!

Fans were throwing fits, writing up petitions making threats for Bioware's head! Hell. I think both founders left because of it! Of course, EA's name (BW's boss) came up and the disgust with them in general ("ME2 was ruined, too!" MS Studios had the first game, I believe)

The ending didn't last any longer than 10 mins (I nearly got there before the disc messed up).

Anyway, we ended up getting "The Extended Cut" (for free of course), that showed us what should have been shown to us in the game to begin with!

Again, it was much worse than this reply makes it sounds, but I don't take kindly being called out (I wasn't, just saying) while it's fine for Master because he's more respected and known. Given how he & I are saying it's more than what we are or aren't being shown here! If this gets to Mass Effect 3's level, then people can/should be called out! I think we're doing a wonderful job keeping the venom at a reasonable level.

Yeah, i was just watching master's rant about crimson. Feeling cheated is a common theme it seems, however this issue in particular is different. They're lying to us, and we know they're lying to us. It isn't even the fact that they're throwing out content to try to get us to upgrade, it's not even that they're just giving us LR just to keep us happy, it's that they're playing games with us instead of being honest.

Granted, to be fair, if they were honest, it'd just have us tell them to rise against the machine by giving both games equal content (except the stages which probably are hard for the ps3 to render). Last gen Nintendo got slammed for appealing to the wrong base (casuals and party gamers [we called it "kids"]), and Sony's making a similar mistake. Sony's making the ps4 online require upkeep costs, which sony could've made a killing via decentralization (Minecraft proved that decentralization works). TN is trying to push us into buying a console that alot of people are saying "ew, no" to. Those of us who are really upset are the people who know this is what they're trying to do.

The most painful thing about it is: we know this is going to cause a schism, even if we weren't even mad about it. TN needs to properly address these issues ASAP, otherwise this already small community is going to take another hit while it's trying it's hardest to grow. And the whole "1 year thing" doesn't help the people that know they're getting left behind.

Even scarier, the people that paid so much for content, also realize that DoA:CF doesn't like to work when there's no working connection. It's like a complete reversal to how TK has handled other games, like the free DLC for months on Samurai Warriors for the 3ds. Anyone who says they're not buying a ps4 due to any sort of logic knows they're being left hung out to dry. The saddest part about it is, we wouldn't've been offended if they would've just not made the ps3 version and rub in our faces what it isn't getting.

Intelligent Alpha

Funny, you bring up Sony and Minecraft. You know M$ now has it, right? Bought it for 2.5B (I think). Now, how can they buy a name for $2.5B (and they got exclusivity to Rise of the Tomb Raider - timed - as well); yet, you can't sell that bigger brick of yours, despite everything you reversed upon reveal or continuing to lower the tag on it?

Not just to shit on M$ cause Sony's got some issues, too.

I know you can't please everybody, but if you know this and still try to, you piss more people off. No amount of rationale is going to nullify how illogical this is!

It's one thing to be in a lose-lose situation and know it, but to rationalize how and why later?

Kohlrak

Funny, you bring up Sony and Minecraft. You know M$ now has it, right? Bought it for 2.5B (I think). Now, how can they buy a name for $2.5B (and they got exclusivity to Rise of the Tomb Raider - timed - as well); yet, you can't sell that bigger brick of yours, despite everything you reversed upon reveal or continuing to lower the tag on it?

As a Linux user, i haven't really played MC much since. MS already admitted that Minecraft 2 is on the table, which means I'd be screwed. I still have it, keep it installed, but i'm not playing it every day anymore. They're lucky to see me once a month at this point.

Not just to shit on M$ cause Sony's got some issues, too.

After my website and email went down almost a whole week without warning, thanks to some really underhanded legal tactics against No-IP, i have every right to crap all over MS. I'm still waiting for someone to start the class action suit against them.

I know you can't please everybody, but if you know this and still try to, you piss more people off. No amount of rationale is going to nullify how illogical this is!

At this point, the only thing they can do to make people happy is give in, but that just hurts them even more. They should've considered asking someone in the community how it might impact before taking action.

It's one thing to be in a lose-lose situation and know it, but to rationalize how and why later?

Rationalize and LIE. The more they play damage control, the more they're going to upset us.

Addictrian

To be Motherfuckin Honest .
I looooooooooooooove DOA really ,i think its one of the BEST Fighting Game of our TIMES.

But really i can understand the FANS ,and the PEOPLE that made this happen ,so still after the >RELEASE of DOA 5 ,the GAME is still going and the Community is growing.

WE did THIS .

From the first DLC to the LATEST.
TN gave us this Opportunity and we took it .

So yeah no Company can do everything that Fans are critisising or want to change.

But there is something going on and Fans all around the World feel a little misstreated ,dont u think ?

Exclusive Conent for PS4 and XBOX ONE (even if the Content is more less than that much ) is a little bit UNFAIR i Think.

We supported them from DAY 1 and spent muuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuch money to keep it up.
And now that SONY has decided to not support DOA5U with DLC Conent any more is just a Slap in the Face :(

There should really be a Solution .

There are PEOPLE wich cannot buy the NEW CONSOLES but want to get in Taste with the NEW Content .

Its just that understandable.

The LOVE THE GAME :)

So TN ,SONY ,What ever Company ,Manager ect.

STAY TRUE to your Fans ,because without them ,there would no be YOU.

Thanks for Listening !

Intelligent Alpha

As a Linux user, i haven't really played MC much since. MS already admitted that Minecraft 2 is on the table, which means I'd be screwed. I still have it, keep it installed, but i'm not playing it every day anymore. They're lucky to see me once a month at this point.

After my website and email went down almost a whole week without warning, thanks to some really underhanded legal tactics against No-IP, i have every right to crap all over MS. I'm still waiting for someone to start the class action suit against them.

At this point, the only thing they can do to make people happy is give in, but that just hurts them even more. They should've considered asking someone in the community how it might impact before taking action.

Rationalize and LIE. The more they play damage control, the more they're going to upset us.

You got it twisted! lol I didn't say you had no right, I was saying Sony has issues, too; however, tons of sheep got the PS4 also! I don't see how giving in hurts them more! Need I go back to the DRM debacle? But yeah, asking the community for answers would have helped, but would it have actually helped? I mean, everybody has a strong opinion about what their reasons or lack thereof were. Again, catch 22; yet, that's what you get for trying to please everybody. But yeah, damage control is something a PR team is really great for, I suppose!

Madian

I know I'm beating a dead horse here but for those of you complaining about finances consider the fact that the price of games upon release have remained virtually unchanged for the past 30 years despite inflation. Don't believe me? do your homework. Some of the games back in the 90's were just shy of $100 on release. The way businesses have battled with the high cost of development versus fan dedication is through DLC. This is actually the best possible scenario. It means you are buying a game at a much lower estimated value, deciding if you like it from there and then purchasing missing pieces of it afterward. Even if you don't like the DLC you are still getting a bargain compared to what you would have been paying years ago.

As far as buying a new updated version go's consider what we had to deal with back in the 90's and early 2000's with street fighter. Every update was a full game that had to be purchased separately. No patch. No price reduction. The FGC today has it made and they don't even realize it.

The new consoles have been out for over a year now and for companies to still support the old gen is a compliment. That's an extra $20,000 expense for making a game on both PS3 and PS4 before you even start programming. Then factor in how expensive every update will be after that since that's extra time someone has to program and an additional fee when the update is brought to Microsoft and Sony.

deathofaninja

Premium Donor
News Team
Oh, I'm shelling out the dough... I simply want more content. I don't care how many people buy it on PS4. Ultimately I'm going to be playing it on the ONE. Something tells me I'll be running into Cyber Evil.

Good games to ya.

Brute

Standard Donor
I think movies should now cut all scenes of certain set locations from DVD releases, and make those parts exclusive to the Blu-Ray release. After all, these set locations are too high-quality and can't be played on a DVD player.

Intelligent Alpha

@Madian:

So, it's 20K - big deal! It's not, but it's not about the money for some of us! Multiple TVs, stereos, game consoles, computers, games even! It amazes me how someone can rant about cross-gen; yet, own a game on several systems! I'm like DOAN, I'm getting the console and the extra stuff anyway, but I won't boast about it!

However, since it's a matter of expenses, why would you even consider cross-gen or multi-plats even since you're gonna have to dig deeper into your pockets? You've ready gone so far down in the enough trying to squeeze every little bit into and out of current gen. Is this why last gen is being treated like charity? That's a bigger fuck you than utterly those two words, period.

Is this an issue of: "Please fans, put yourself in the business suit to understand where we are coming from?" If so, why not have the business people put themselves in the fans position and see it from our perspective. Not every one of us thinks with $$$$ lit pupils!

I understand supply/demand concept, too! That's all this is in terms of trying to sell the consoles! Both came out at absurd prices (last gen, too - $600 PS3 - gtfoh!) The XBO was $500, Now, the price drops! I played on multiple 360s and got my Elite @ $300 - had it for nearly seven years. So, no, the $50 ($350) upgrade doesn't bother me.

What does bother me is this $400 tag (that's a PS4 by itself, btw) - console + game just for some minor tweaks? $400 for minor tweaks or just so gamers can test it! That's ridiculous! You could make the same argument for MKX, but NRS is blatantly saying it's "Sink or Swim!" (and I'm sure last gen will miss stuff, too; however, MKX is a complete overhaul from MK9 despite it being available for last gen) LR is not worth it in comparison. (and they pushed the date up to avoid the obvious fatality about to happen! (Just a little humor there)

Last edited:

CyberEvil

Master Ninja
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Donor
I think movies should now cut all scenes of certain set locations from DVD releases, and make those parts exclusive to the Blu-Ray release. After all, these set locations are too high-quality and can't be played on a DVD player.
As much as I like analogies...come on, dude. Not even close to the same concept. Humorous, but apples to oranges.

Intelligent Alpha

As much as I like analogies...come on, dude. Not even close to the same concept. Humorous, but apples to oranges.

He may be poking fun at my DVD, Blu-ray example to illustrate the DLC bullshit as it relates to games! Somehow, the DLC form in other media isn't an issue though the reason is the same: It's all about the bottom line! So, I don't think it is an apples to oranges thing necessarily. If I thought it were, I never would have made the analogy myself. Although my reasoning for using such probably holds more water! I evoke humor in my seriousness, too.

d3v

I'm ok with LR instead of 6. However, the content drop on the PS3 kills LR's viability in regards to stated purpose: we're already arguing whether or not stages should be banned.
I don't know why this is such a big issue for this community.

When this kind of console exclusive content pops up in say, a Capcom game, we just have a chuckle and the automatically ban it. If anyone complains, it's mostly just new people who have no idea.

Intelligent Alpha

I don't know why this is such a big issue for this community.

When this kind of console exclusive content pops up in say, a Capcom game, we just have a chuckle and the automatically ban it. If anyone complains, it's mostly just new people who have no idea.

Well, Capcom is not exactly everyone's favorite company either! Everyone seems to shit on EA and after watching Master's stream, I agree with him because everyone jumped down Bioware's throats when EA was the problem. It'd be the same if any boss fucks over the (employee) development team! I believe this is referred to as the "Trickle-down Effect!" If something is wrong at the lower level, it usually means go to the top first cause something is wrong up there! That's just how it works!

I was one to blame TN and I probably would've blamed BW for ME3's troubles, but whether or not both companies were at fault (and they were), it seems the opposite occurs if folks don't have their eyes open.

Is the team losing? Blame the players>coach>GM>Owner. Once the owner gets the ball rolling: GM change>Coaching change>Trades>Team starts winning (perhaps) Of course, the former hierachy happens due to disgruntled fans, When the latter hierachy happens and things turnaround, happy fans!

This is the business hierachy as it should be - without the fucking over obviously! So, I would like to apologize for having misplaced blame!

HaKaShU

In my opinion I think the community is overreacting. I've been skimming through the comments and people seem to understand the concept of marketing, economics, and everything that goes into making and selling games. With that said, there is a cutoff when it is not beneficial for a company to continue investing into endeavors that will not turn a return/profit.

As far as Team Ninja or Koei Tecmo is concerned they don't even need to release a version for last generation. What's the point? The fans have to ask themselves why and the answer is for the fans. If they didn't care about the community then they wouldn't bother releasing it on last generation. Still the word last generation needs to be stressed. Do people know the logistics of programming? Did fans have dev kits for both current generation and last generation? You can't point fingers and say "oh well they could have easily included this in the last generation version." without having real knowledge of what goes on with programming, coding, etc.

I get it, it sucks that you can't have all the features when you are paying customer. If you understand marketing then there is a purpose to this. Why are there preorder bonuses? Why are there collector's editions? Why does this blu-ray have more special features than the dvd? Why does dlc exist on the ps4 version of destiny and not the xbox one? Why are there console exclusives? The word PREMIUM exists for a reason. The whole point of exclusives, features, etc is to sell a consumer on buying that product. So if the last generation version doesn't have some features than the consumer might be swayed into buying into a new console. Is that evil? Is that unfair? Not necessarily. We work to make money. How you spend that money is entirely up to you. It's the beauty of making your own money and making your own decisions. If you don't like how certain companies practice their business than don't buy into their product. Are you guys fed up with Team Ninja or Koei Tecmo because of their business practice with Last Round? Fine, don't buy it. But if you are going to complain and still buy it then you are just being a hypocrite and going against your original argument.

So what happens when Dead or Alive 6 comes out. Are you guys going to be super pissed off when it doesn't release on last generation? Because I can guarantee 110% that it will not be on 360 or PS3. Are you once again going to point fingers and say they have turned their backs on fans? At some point we all need to take a step back and think both realistically and rationally.

This whole argument within the community is just plain idiotic. If you buy a car in 2014 and then in 2015 you see they released that same car with new features are you going to complain to the manufacturer? As time goes on things change, things get upgraded. Just like anything else in the world it's time for the gaming community to move to next generation. That is the whole point right?

TL;DR It doesn't make sense for them to continue investing in last generation. Team Ninja is ready to move onto current generation much like all the other game developers are doing.

David Gregg

I for one find it hilarious how people are so surprised that fans are upset with the way TN handled all of this. Especially how they're offering a last gen digital version called "Last Round" even though it's nothing more than a 5U update. TN will continue to support last gen, as long as it requires minimal effort and yields them maximum profit. You can be damn sure that every DLC fetish pack under the sun will be out on the market over the next year for last gen. What would they get though if they made the stages compatible with last gen?

Nada.

Intelligent Alpha

If they were ready to move on (like any other developer), why the last gen release to begin with? If you think about it, if people really wanted the game, they would get it and the console, too! Yet, I hear this argument: "I'm not getting a console for one game!" And considering that 2014 - despite the console being out two years - has been a dry year! The only games were probably yearly releases and of course, the launch titles.

2015, though - games coming out the ass! It usually takes about two years for next gen to get started anyway (happened last gen). So, yeah, LR comes out next year, but look at its competition - it appears that LR may fall through the cracks despite moving the release date up!

Also, one the Xbox side of things: MS will no longer support it a little after 2016; therefore, I'm sure as many games will be squeezed out before that window closed (hopefully, not rushed); thus, still in the game last gen software! Same thing happened with the original Xbox and people seem to forget how long last gen's cycle lasted. 10 years! I doubt the XBO will do half that!

I think everyone understands that transitions hurt initially. It has happened with every generation and will continue to happen. However, if during every transition, people eventually came around, it will happen here, too. The Xbox>360, PS2>PS3 was probably one of the easiest though!

@David Gregg: It's not TN, but TK. I'm sure we can ask TN to exert more effort, but their hands were/are tied! (Mass Effect 3 saw misplaced anger towards Bioware when it was EA; however, if BW just smiled and nodded ... I doubt they did though)

Last edited:
ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD