DOA6 Opinion: Team NINJA's Road Map is Pivotal to DOA6

Since Team NINJA wants DOA6 to be taken seriously as an esport game, it is of utmost importance that they have a road map set up for fighters prior to the release of DOA6. A qualifying cup or tournament schedule would not only add to DOA6s replay value and help garner interest among fighters, but will show how serious Team NINJA is about making that change. Within the game development process you can see that they have made several changes to the style of the game to ensure that casual players also enjoy the experience and don't feel alienated.

This is a specific opinion post, so gameplay mechanic discussions (frame data, move safety) are better left for news posts or the forum. Since Team NINJA has delayed the game, and we have little data on the final build, opinions wouldn't be educative enough to matter. The general review for DOAs gameplay has been sincerely positive by most of the professional players in the DOA community that have played it.

Releasing a road map before the launch of DOA6 tells offline players there is an incentive right away that they can work towards. It will also help fighters fill out their schedules as work and family are going to be a bigger priority, especially if players are running on short notice. Team NINJA has banked on esports being a successful part of the game, so they need to show us why and should illustrate this change sooner than later.

Team NINJA has also reached out on multiple occasions to assure the casual interests of the game will be fully intact. The video game press continues to zone in on the more sexual topics of the game since they are proving to be quite incapable at discussing anything else. This does not help the offline scene at all like discussion for a tournament circuit would, but instead causes even more pointless discord at Team NINJA's expense.

The game has been toned down to not be overly distracting or absurd like the character creation mode in Soul Calibur. Team NINJA's identity has not changed and their signatures remain the same. The characters and costumes are still sexy, but not as wild and Xtreme as the Venus, which is best left for the DOAX series.

When DOA became more competitive, graphical compromises were taken to the backgrounds of the stages, but it doesn't stop Team NINJA from rivaling the best designers out there with bigger budgets. DOAs stages still do more than any other fighter out there, and has always been ahead of its time with level design. If an understandable sacrifice like this is going to be made for the sake of competitive play, why is there nothing yet from Team NINJA pertaining to tournaments?

There are more destructible environments in the stages than ever before, and nearly every level demonstrates the beauty of DOAs brilliant gameplay. Levels like 'Unforgettable' take small graphical hits because of the size, but you get a completely new and innovative idea and perhaps the biggest 3D level in fighting game history.

The true beauty of DOAs stages is discovered by what the offline players can do with them. How 'Home' was interpreted in the beginning of its cycle is drastically different from how a professional match will play out now. Stages are one of the primary examples... or a testament even to the importance of offline play.

Casual players that are turned off by all of this shouldn't be because they are still getting what they want for the most part, and more out of the box than DOA5: Vanilla. DOA Quest will give you a chance to understand the game better and reward you for it, plus there are options like Story Mode, DOA Central, DOA Encyclopedia and more camera options for picture addicts.

Team NINJA is doing a great job of balancing out everything their players want while also encouraging casual players to try playing competitively. Now the offline scene needs to know what's next in the coming weeks leading to this important competitive chapter in DOA history. Going into EVO Japan, there wouldn't be a more serious topic than this to discuss if I was in the shoes of Yohei Shimbori.

Last edited:
I like the idea of a clear roadmap of the game so that we can know their plans since other fighting games have done that, but idk if they would be ready to actually do it now. Although they WANT the game to be esports, they as a company and the player base as well has to help really push and make it happen which is harder for games like DOA6, SFV and T7 got into esports easily since they have the massive playerbase/audience and crowd to back them, SC6 and games like Injustice 2 and Dissidia NT are examples of games where it's harder due to lack of competitive play no matter how hard they were pushed.

I think they should release the game and just start off with active news and notifications like what the DOATEC OFFICIAL twitter account is doing to keep the playerbase interested and start steady and manageable by doing tourneys like they did with DOA5. Once it starts getting noticed(which shouldn't be difficult at all since DOA6 is a new fighter and is very entertaining to watch and play) then they can ease themselves up more. We don't want TN biting off more than they can chew and risk interest for the game's longevity dwindling like the fighters/games I previously mentioned have.

As easy as it is for popular games like SFV and T7 to be successful, even bigger budget games like Injustice 2 and even well known/hyped franchises like SC can quickly flop or plummet if the wrong moves are made or if the game's plans are rushed and lack foundation.

I like the idea of a clear roadmap of the game so that we can know their plans since other fighting games have done that, but idk if they would be ready to actually do it now. Although they WANT the game to be esports, they as a company and the player base as well has to help really push and make it happen which is harder for games like DOA6, SFV and T7 got into esports easily since they have the massive playerbase/audience and crowd to back them, SC6 and games like Injustice 2 and Dissidia NT are examples of games where it's harder due to lack of competitive play no matter how hard they were pushed.

I think they should release the game and just start off with active news and notifications like what the DOATEC OFFICIAL twitter account is doing to keep the playerbase interested and start steady and manageable by doing tourneys like they did with DOA5. Once it starts getting noticed(which shouldn't be difficult at all since DOA6 is a new fighter and is very entertaining to watch and play) then they can ease themselves up more. We don't want TN biting off more than they can chew and risk interest for the game's longevity dwindling like the fighters/games I previously mentioned have.

As easy as it is for popular games like SFV and T7 to be successful, even bigger budget games like Injustice 2 and even well known/hyped franchises like SC can quickly flop or plummet if the wrong moves are made or if the game's plans are rushed and lack foundation.

The foundation should have already been built as soon as they announced their sincere interest in becoming an esport game. They have to back that statement up now or they risk disappointing everyone before it even takes off. I think if they wait too long people will just assume: Oh this game is dead already. Especially the players that want it to be.

If a DOA6 article hasn't been titled with jiggle, it's been titled with esports. Team NINJA has given us plenty of the jiggle and casual content, but not enough news on tournaments and offline plans.

The foundation should have already been built as soon as they announced their sincere interest in becoming an esport game. They have to back that statement up now or they risk disappointing everyone before it even takes off. I think if they wait too long people will just assume: Oh this game is dead already. Especially the players that want it to be.

If a DOA6 article hasn't been titled with jiggle, it's been titled with esports. Team NINJA has given us plenty of the jiggle and casual content, but not enough news on tournaments and offline plans.
Thats what I mean, like they're giving us their goal of wanting to be an esport but they haven't done much to assert that, although they have done a good job keeping us competitive players interested with the informative trigger posts/videos and breaking down the game mechanics. The betas and playable builds as well as the mini tourneys they've had with well known pro players were also really good too and it shows me they really want a serious competitive esport title but they still have to establish themselves before that so it won't fizzle out but I think if pro players rep it at tourneys and such when the game is released it'll be fine

They just have to be gradual about it, it's like making a character thread. Yeah anyone can make a thread for a character's gameplay/generalization, but what purpose does it serve if you just make it and don't provide active information updates and support to keep the others informed and engaged until the game is released/updated? It'll remain stationary and won't elevate or progress. The same should be said about DOA6, they have to make gradual moves like what their Twitter account has been doing. Shimbori also should do himself a favor and stay away from ANY discussion about the fan service/sex appeal of the game. XD It takes away from the core game and if that's all that's talked about, it'll overshadow the actual game and I don't want that for DOA6, he needs to stay focused on the story and the game's longevity plans so that way the goal of being an esports title will be the main focus over some sex appeal that was never absent to begin with.

It’d be great to play offline tournaments where I live (Madrid, Spain). But I moved here only a year ago and have no idea how to find players. I honestly don’t wanna convince people who play something else to come to DOA. I tried it for years during the 4, Dimensions and 5 vanilla time and just ended up disappointed.

Everything points to me just playing online like I did in 2U and 4 but well...

Great opinion piece DOAN. I'd like to see something like the Battle Royal for DOA6. I also agree with KasumiLover that Shimbori and Team Ninja should try and avoid "fan-service" or casual-speak a bit more at this point. With what's been produced so far for DOA6 content-wise, the game will either appeal to casual players or it won't. The more that any potential controversies arise from misspeaks or mis-translations from Shimbori, the worse that DOA6 looks to potential customers and fans because they'll get hung-up on said controversy.

Yeah, for a game that's"going eSports now" and meant to be more FGC friendly they're probably pushing that the least out of everything. Will DOA Battle Royale come back? How will they improve the gameplay to be competitive? Why the hell do a lot of DOA majors not get a demo build but small journalist websites do? Lmao

To be fair Shimbori & Team Ninja have been constantly getting derailed by "controversy" bullshit, horny twats on Twitter & Youtube constantly demanding bullshit, along with most video game "journalism" sites not knowing what to report on DOA6 beyond: Mah Tittiez...

I just wish more people could keep it in the pants for everyone's sake so that TN can focus on promoting the more competitive aspect of DOA6.

This was a great article, but I want to response to certain parts of it.

"Team NINJA has also reached out on multiple occasions to assure the casual interests of the game will be fully intact. The video game press continues to zone in on the more sexual topics of the game since they are proving to be quite incapable at discussing anything else. This does not help the offline scene at all, but instead causes even more pointless discord at Team NINJA's expense."

I hate to break it to you but the video game press is also apart of that casual market they are appealing to. And it is Team Ninja's fault for shoving fanservice down everyone's throat in the past that, not everyone is so quick to take their word for it like us. Especially when they did they said the same in 5 and backpedal hardcore on it. They let the casuals and pervs win and outright bullied them into giving them what they want. You also still got a good amount of blowback from guys like WaronFanservice, Voicefofanservice, and a few others as they are planning to boycott DOA 6. DOA has always had a big set of casual fans.

"The game has been toned down to not be overly distracting or absurd like the character creation mode in Soul Calibur. Team NINJA's identity has not changed and their signatures remain the same. The characters and costumes are still sexy, but not as wild and Xtreme as the Venus, which is best left for the DOAX series."

I love that! That makes me very happy to see. But let me ask this to you Ninja, why are people kicking up a storm about it? By the way as a Soul Calibur fan, I am going to have to correct you on the Create A Soul and how it is market. Bandai Namco ever since SC3 has sold it as, "You can make whoever you want!" Not the, "You can make Ivy's tits bigger!" The reason it has gotten away with this is because they sell the mode as the ability to do anything.

"Casual players that are turned off by all of this shouldn't be because they are still getting what they want for the most part, and more out of the box than DOA5: Vanilla. DOA Quest will give you a chance to understand the game better and reward you for it, plus there are options like Story Mode, DOA Central, DOA Encyclopedia and more camera options for picture addicts."

Spoiler alert: They are still turn off because they're not getting what they think makes DOA what it is: the fanservice. I mean, I met one that legit told me the fanservice is what makes DOA unique and I'm sitting here like, "What?" I was legit confused and bewildered by that statement as even with games like Arcana, Hyperdimension Neptunia, and Serean Kagura. Fanservice isn't what makes those series unique.

"Team NINJA is doing a great job of balancing out everything their players want while also encouraging casual players to try playing competitively. Now the offline scene needs to know what's next in the coming weeks leading to this important competitive chapter in DOA history. Going into EVO Japan, there wouldn't be a more serious topic than this to discuss if I was in the shoes of Yohei Shimbori."

This is like trying to get a horse to water. It won't happen dude as we are still plague by loudmouth online warriors who love talking shit. If you give them decent netcode, good luck trying to get them to come out. I still remember the days of 5 where people would complain they weren't seen as good all because they didn't go offline and travel. Someone got mad at me when I said Chosen1 was the best Brad. "oh he is only the best because he can afford a trounament." I'm like, "Well if you want to prove it you can come out too and now flash that stupid rank of yours."

Overall, I really enjoyed this article and can see your passionate. I hope everything you're saying comes true. I usually scuff at idealistic pieces, but sometimes deep down I want things like this to fully work out. Fingers cross man. I can't wait for March 1st.

Last edited:
I don't think they want to commit to anything long-term until they figure out how financially lucrative the game is going to be. They're not launching with any kind of Season Pass or promise of future DLC, not to mention no way to download the two DLC characters post-purchase. This peculiarity is pretty much exclusive to this title among other FGs, and I think it suggets a lack of confidence in the title's success by its publisher.

Everything points to me just playing online like I did in 2U and 4 but well...

Start there, if you happen to have someone who has a good connection with you and they're talkative and consistent, see if they want to meet up locally if they're nearby. It's not good chance of happening, but it is one possible way for seeds to be sown.

There is more to the plan than Team Ninja making a plan.

We players in the community need to step up and show we want to play DOA6 at events. If you have anyone playing fighting games locally, turn up, bring the game, and play it. Ask around and encourage other people to play. Offer to be the organiser. Running tournament brackets isn't that hard. Be the voice that reminds people when a local is on, ask people who play DOA to remember to show up. Be friendly to new players.

That's how you make your scene. If you only have two people, that's enough to play a game, so that's enough to start.

So lets see some people putting their hands up especially when there are events who might be curious to run DOA but don't know if the community is there. Use your voice and your feet and be there.

I don't think they want to commit to anything long-term until they figure out how financially lucrative the game is going to be. They're not launching with any kind of Season Pass or promise of future DLC, not to mention no way to download the two DLC characters post-purchase. This peculiarity is pretty much exclusive to this title among other FGs, and I think it suggets a lack of confidence in the title's success by its publisher.
Actually there is a way to get Nyo and Phase 4 post launch.

Last edited:
The game needs to perform on the market first. EVO Japan is probably the earliest and best place to reveal eSports plans going forward. That's why they hired DOA MASTER in the first place.

If Team NINJA had went with my idea of a DOA.TV, virtually all of this would be a non issue. Being able to watch offline tournaments and Japanese Arcade version within the game itself (basically a DOA Twitch with comments) is something that a fighting game should do at this point as it would rapidly let players of any kind know what this game actually and truly is. Fighting game tournaments are coming around visibly because IPTV broadcasting is.

Next 9th generation, video should be an absolute priority in platform(s) i.e. video chat and conference (Group FaceTime like) built into every game. Online versus fighting play would be respected even as right now (due to introduction of Party Chat), it feels like you're going up against a soulless A.I. bot. Offline would then go to the next level as recognition of players in tournaments due to video archiving. Basically "hey that's the guy that I played yesterday". Trust me. I push this heavily in Gran Turismo as well, but that's for another time...

There is more to the plan than Team Ninja making a plan.

We players in the community need to step up and show we want to play DOA6 at events. If you have anyone playing fighting games locally, turn up, bring the game, and play it. Ask around and encourage other people to play. Offer to be the organiser. Running tournament brackets isn't that hard. Be the voice that reminds people when a local is on, ask people who play DOA to remember to show up. Be friendly to new players.

That's how you make your scene. If you only have two people, that's enough to play a game, so that's enough to start.

So lets see some people putting their hands up especially when there are events who might be curious to run DOA but don't know if the community is there. Use your voice and your feet and be there.

This is easier said than done. I tried it during the DOA5 days and trust me, it’s stupidly difficult to get the idea that it’s a titty fighter out of people’s heads. Especially when they’re already active in other fighters. They might not even be good in their own games and they certainly wouldn’t win at DOA, but that doesn’t stop them from being total dicks.

Then there’s the issue of the massive amount of retarded-looking dlc. I’ve had people come over to “check the game out” and “learn to play” but all they end up doing is spending 30 minutes in the character selection screen making lame comments about the costumes. It’s infuriating.

Not wanting to be Mr Negative, but re-reading the opening paragraph to this article seems highly ironic now. I mean... really serious about esports. Just ask Evo, amirite? o_0

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD