Pokemon thread

Juihau

Really? I wouldn't have expected affection to affect dodge, crits and status, let alone save a pokemon from fainting. Interesting mechanic. I'll have to try it out.

Went with Rowlet btw.
It's actually hilariously broken. I've had Pokemon "hang in there" with 1 hp twice in a row without being healed, and break out of paralysis immediately on the same turn they were paralyzed, again several times in a row.

Sotherius

It's actually hilariously broken. I've had Pokemon "hang in there" with 1 hp twice in a row without being healed, and break out of paralysis immediately on the same turn they were paralyzed, again several times in a row.

It is a nice mechanic that doesn't affect competitive play, for better or worse.

Juihau

Oh, yeah, it doesn't affect the battle tree, online play or the battle royal for obvious reasons. I just meant it can make some hard story fights a joke.

Chapstick

It's annoying when you're trying to get a pokemon to low health to catch it and you accidentally get a critical and kill it and it's like "your pokemon landed a critical hit hoping to be praised ((:"

On the topic of hard story fights- is it me or is this one a bit harder than the past ones?

David Gregg

It's annoying when you're trying to get a pokemon to low health to catch it and you accidentally get a critical and kill it and it's like "your pokemon landed a critical hit hoping to be praised ((:"

On the topic of hard story fights- is it me or is this one a bit harder than the past ones?

False Swipe is the best move as it will always leave at least 1 HP.

I actually caught an Umbreon tonight doing this. After finding an Eevee in the wild I used an adrenaline orb (makes it more likely to call for help) and used false swipe to make sure it would try to have another Pokemon help it. It called another Eevee about 10 times and then finally called an Umbreon and I caught it. :D

Hayabusiness

It is. Many people found the Elite 4 to be as hard as Gen 4's.

NightAntilli

That was a problem for me in all the games. For some reason, they really love to crit the opponent when you need to just get their health down enough to be red, and catch the Pokemon.

False Swipe is the best move as it will always leave at least 1 HP.

I actually caught an Umbreon tonight doing this. After finding an Eevee in the wild I used an adrenaline orb (makes it more likely to call for help) and used false swipe to make sure it would try to have another Pokemon help it. It called another Eevee about 10 times and then finally called an Umbreon and I caught it. :D
Oh that's awesome. Good to know you can catch their evolved forms that way. Although I'd still prefer to breed and evolve them myself.

I've experienced the first instance where affection influences a battle. My Pikipek that has 4 hearts (not even maxed out) avoided hypnosis due to its affection. And it seems to dodge almost everything o_O It is quite easy to raise its affection compared to the other Pokemon I have.

CyberEvil

Master Ninja
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Donor
I switch between Charcoal and Quick Claw for my Toracat already. Not looking forward to evolving it. I miss Charizard.

NightAntilli

The Rowlet evolution line is the fastest of the three in the end I believe, with a base speed of 70...... All starters are slow this time around.

In a way it might not be a bad thing... When the starter is one of the fastest all the time, it's a lot easier to keep using only that Pokemon throughout the whole campaign and power leveling it. By making them slower, the player is forced to strategize a bit more.

Not great for competitive battling though.

David Gregg

Question: I'm on Poni Island now and feel like I've been doing okay but I'm worried I don't really have a Poison or Steel type on my team and I've heard this is a tough island. When I verse a really good poison type my team drops like flies quickly. I have:

Decidueye lv 54: leaf blade, spirit shackle, false swipe, pluck
Slowbro lv. 51: psychic, yawn, disable, scald
Umbreon lv 48: toxic, assurance, confuse ray, moonlight
Sylveon lv 51; draining kiss, moonblast, baby doll eyes, swift
Alolan Raichu lv 53: thunderbolt, charm, nuzzle, psychic
Arcanine lv 50: crunch, take down, flare blitz, outrage (probably my least favorite moveset. Has potential to be extremely powerful but very unpredictable and either gets recoil damage or confused. :/)

Is there a Pokemon who should replace one of my current ones? Or certain TMs I should be teaching anyone?

Last edited:

Juihau

Hm. I guess it's a bit redundant to have two psychic types in Slowbro and Raichu. If you replace one of those with a steel type, that'd probably help with your poison problem.

David Gregg

Hm. I guess it's a bit redundant to have two psychic types in Slowbro and Raichu. If you replace one of those with a steel type, that'd probably help with your poison problem.

Which one should I get rid of? Raichu's my lightning heavy hitter with T Bolt and charm helps lower my opponent's attacks. But then Slowbro is my only water type and scald is really good. Also disable and yawn have been helpful. :/

I do have a Magneton though

Chapstick

My team is pretty much just Incineroar, Decidueye, and Butterfree with 3 other pokemon I'm trying to evolve at all times. I struggled with the E4 (I really hate Bewear honestly it's consistently a problem for me) and now I'm struggling with the fifth fight :')

Why is dark weak to fighting btw

David Gregg

My team is pretty much just Incineroar, Decidueye, and Butterfree with 3 other pokemon I'm trying to evolve at all times. I struggled with the E4 (I really hate Bewear honestly it's consistently a problem for me) and now I'm struggling with the fifth fight :')

Why is dark weak to fighting btw

How did you get two starters?! O_O

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD