Rachel General Discussion

StrikerSashi

Premium Donor
People who claim she's too linear probably played her poorly and neglected to keep the other guy honest with tick throws. Honestly, say that again after you play Kokoro a while. That's a linear character.

TheTHCGamer

Why do people keep saying she is slow? Only the fastest characters in the game ie: Christie, Helena, Kasumi, Ayane etc. are faster or even with her. Also to mention I'm not including standard jabs in the previous sentence since the slowest one is around 12f IIRC. Anyways,if you're fighting those characters then yeah, you can notice a difference, but that is barely even 10% of the cast.

I'm not saying she is OP, even my earlier posts never said that, but that she is a really hard fight. She DOES have reach, speed, damage, and she is a heavy weight class fighter so a lot of combos or set-ups will barely work or not at all. Since she doesn't have to pay attention to weight class, her combos will ALMOST always work.People seem to be forgetting that aspect of her. Also, look at other characters with similar styles, meaning linearity, and they're still hard fights. For example Ein. He is extremely linear, but he is still devastating. People know that he essentially only hits mid/high, but does make it any less of a challenge? No, it doesn't. He is even one of the most used characters in this game currently.

The downplay on this forum about her is ridiculous. So is the hate as well. Truthfully I've seen worse, I play Injustice so I see it a lot, but people don't seem to want to acknowledge her strengths for what they are. Just because a character is linear doesn't mean that is justification for claiming so many perceived faults with a character.

If for what ever reason there is a nerf, not saying there should be, honestly just slow her down by a frame or two. Anymore would be pushing it. I know this feeling since I main Lisa and she got hit hard on the frame nerfs.

Anyways, rant over.
She is slow and ill add another character to your list right of the top of my head your forgot Mila and momiji. That so called 10% of the cast has an advantage of speed on her and in a game where speed kills that's a good advantage to have. She really isn't that hard to fight ONCE you spend an hour with someone in a lobby (maybe a little longer) and actually spend some quality time playing against her.

One other thing that helps is learning how to play her and using tactics you yourself are having trouble with against opponents. I don't know how many times ive stated Rachel thrives on being in close and is VERY limited with her mid range attacks. The downplay about her isn't ridiculous shes a new character that people still need to figure out and I personally feel once players do start figuring her out the complains will stop.

This almost happens every time an update or sequel is released certain players start complaining about a character they haven't spend quality time playing against. Id much rather play against a Rachel player then I would an Ein player and im not insulting Rachel players its just how I personally feel. Her combos work but I feel other characters have more damaging combos that are easier to perform.

Some of Rachels combos in my opinion look more devastating then what they really are and I know this because ill look up at the screen to see how much damage ive done to my opponent just to be disappointed at times. Being a linear character is a fault no matter what spin you want to put on it. Rachel doesn't deserve any nerfs at this point and time.

TheTHCGamer

People who claim she's too linear probably played her poorly and neglected to keep the other guy honest with tick throws. Honestly, say that again after you play Kokoro a while. That's a linear character.
That or you could say people who say she isn't linear probably haven't spent enough quality time playing against her. That or they haven't spent quality time playing with her to see how well she does against players who are use to playing her. How about some of you actually start learning to use her and setup some lobby matches against some solid players online.

When I say linear I mean a character that is in my opinion more linear than Kokoro. Lol a character with 102 attacks at her disposal is linear compared to a character with 62? No one uses all there characters attacks but attack options to pick from is definitely an advantage. All i as is keep trying to win with Rachel after about an hour or two against a solid player in a lobby.

Last edited:

Brute

Standard Donor
Rachel's not really that slow
Agreed. These guys don't know what slow is.

Also, look at other characters with similar styles, meaning linearity, and they're still hard fights. For example Ein. He is extremely linear, but he is still devastating. People know that he essentially only hits mid/high, but does make it any less of a challenge? No, it doesn't. He is even one of the most used characters in this game currently.
Ein actually has 7 strings that can end in low-sweep mix-ups that are +frames on NH, and several initial low pokes that are +frames on NH.
Ryu, in contrast, has one low that is +frames on NH and only one string that leads into a low that is +frames on NH (it's actually the same move and the string has no mix-up at all and can only lead into that one low).

Ein's got great-mix-ups. So does Rachel, for that matter. Ryu has shit mix-ups.

Drake Aldan

Tick throwing in this game is throwing a punch/low jab and then grabbing right?

FlamingMuffin

When I say linear I mean a character that is in my opinion more linear than Kokoro. Lol a character with 102 attacks at her disposal is linear compared to a character with 62? No one uses all there characters attacks but attack options to pick from is definitely an advantage. All i as is keep trying to win with Rachel after about an hour or two against a solid player in a lobby.

I don't think we need to wait 2-3 months to determine that Rachel is in fact, not that linear.

At neutral she has 4P, 1P, H+K off the top of my head. i15 (?) mid, i18 low, i12 high.

Kokoro at neutral has a i17 high, H+K.

Yeah, Rachel is more linear than Kokoro, yup.

TheTHCGamer

Tick throwing in this game is throwing a punch/low jab and then grabbing right?
Yea it's pretty much mixing your throws in to keep your opponent from thinking your going to just keep attacking. In other words making your opponent pay for trying to just block or counter.

TheTHCGamer

I don't think we need to wait 2-3 months to determine that Rachel is in fact, not that linear.

At neutral she has 4P, 1P, H+K off the top of my head. i15 (?) mid, i18 low, i12 high.

Kokoro at neutral has a i17 high, H+K.

Yeah, Rachel is more linear than Kokoro, yup.
So that alone automatically makes Kokoro less linear? Once again lets visit this argument 2 to 3 months down the road.

Drake Aldan

Watching Kitty Cola v. Allan Paris just now, it appears to me that I am not holding enough at disadvantage (instead of blocking).

The match was interesting, since she was finishing combos with 9P, 6KP, which if I recall correctly does not guarantee a 2K- you can side tech and avoid because of the knockdown... Blender wasn't even there, basically. Or am I wrong?

synce

I don't get the linear argument but Rachel is definitely slow. Anyway while I don't want Rachel nerfed I know TN too well. Good characters are not allowed to exist in DOA. Everyone needs to enjoy the current Rachel while you can

TheTHCGamer

I don't get the linear argument but Rachel is definitely slow. Anyway while I don't want Rachel nerfed I know TN too well. Good characters are not allowed to exist in DOA. Everyone needs to enjoy the current Rachel while you can
What I mean by linear is I personally feel she becomes to predictable after a while. On top of that yes she's slow which is a trade off that makes her more balanced. It's far to soon to think she's as good as some people are making her out to be.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD