Rachel General Discussion

Is there any character that plays anything similar to Rachel (the defense-to-offense playstyle)? I feel like if I can understand another character that plays anything similar to her (and take away that character's unique tools), then maybe it can influence my Rachel strats in some beneficial way.

I'm thinking Lei Fang? minus the parries and advanced holds, of course.

Rubedood

Is there any character that plays anything similar to Rachel (the defense-to-offense playstyle)? I feel like if I can understand another character that plays anything similar to her (and take away that character's unique tools), then maybe it can influence my Rachel strats in some beneficial way.

I'm thinking Lei Fang? minus the parries and advanced holds, of course.

In DOA, not really

If you play VF5FS, Jeffry is practically the exact same character. He's also a heavyweight, and has the very same shortcomings she does. You might pick something up from that

Jyakotu

Standard Donor
The only reason I like playing or watching Rachel is for heel stomp. Otherwise, I just don't like her character or play style. She feels very clunky. Then again, I do prefer the more speedier characters (Eliot, Ayane, etc.) so maybe that's why I can't get with her play style.

In DOA, not really

If you play VF5FS, Jeffry is practically the exact same character. He's also a heavyweight, and has the very same shortcomings she does. You might pick something up from that

And what would his playstyle/shortcomings be? VF is very different from DOA; I don't know how they could be similar, aside from being heavyweights and maybe sharing a few moves...

I don't think Rachel has a completely unique playstyle, or else she would have unique strats/tools to make a unique playstyle. I think she may resemble Tina the most, with average speed grabs but good throw damage (aside from her 12 framer, this grab does shitty damage), some strings, good stuns, and must keep the opponent on their toes.

Itz King Beebop

And what would his playstyle/shortcomings be? VF is very different from DOA; I don't know how they could be similar...

Like most DOA players, you don't know that Virtua Fighter is the "father/big sister game" of DOA. A lot of the VF mechanics are just heavily simplified for DOA; actually, many other fighting game communities ridicule DOA players for playing "VF for Dummies" (that's DOA.)
This is one of the reasons that I hold a lot of the information from VF players over what most DOA players say, because VF players more than understand what's going on in DOA.

Like most DOA players, you don't know that Virtua Fighter is the "father/big sister game" of DOA. A lot of the VF mechanics are just heavily simplified for DOA; actually, many other fighting game communities ridicule DOA players for playing "VF for Dummies" (that's DOA.)
This is one of the reasons that I hold a lot of the information from VF players over what most DOA players say, because VF players more than understand what's going on in DOA.

I totally had a brain fart. I know that DOA and VF are related in ways. I just wanted to know how more about Jeffry in VF's system, about what he can exploit and what he cannot overcome, to see how it could relate to a Rachel player. VF does its nuances tho, that may work with or against Jeffry, but I do appreciate outside perspectives because they can always provide new avenues that may serve to explore more.

Don't worry, Kayin; I'm sure you're not the only one. I also really enjoy playing Rachel. I feel that my skills really have to be on point (which is great for practice), but she can pay off well when she has momentum. I feel that she is primarily a striker, but that her holds and throws are also very good. I enjoy her fighting style and the simplicity of her playstyle.

I had started with Christie in DOA4, but found that her throw and hold damage were just too awful. I used Tina in DOA4 and 5, but found that I basically played her as a striker because nobody wants to hold against a striker; I still have her in my roster tho. Bayman is too defense-oriented for my tastes, and Rig suffers the same fate as Christie, but wih even less speed and safety. Leon is...IDK, more brutal than badass (like eternal PMS or emo or something). Momiji is balanced and a cool ninja, so I may use her as a second or third character. I remember that when I first saw videos of Rachel, I was not impressed at all, even tho I very much enjoyed using Rachel in NG. She grew on me as I kept trying her, especially her 6T and her air grab (very much prefer hers over Leon's). Here I am with my main.

If anyone got Rachel stories, you are welcome to share them.

Project Bokuho

Lady Helena's Pet
Premium Donor
@Pictured Mind

Pictured Mind avatar.png

Soaring Zero

Love Rachel. LOVE Rachel.

Sorry, just thought I'd mention that I love Rachel. She needs to evolve a bit for the sequel, but she's 100% my kinda character. Superb character design to boot - her and Momiji are damn fine additions, and it's insane it took almost a decade for her to appear in Doa.
I agree 100%.

Shiranui

So.. February update:

Rachel
  • 2or8P+KP: Stance of the motion changed.
  • 7P: Damage reduced from 22 to 18.
  • 66T, PPT: Advantage on normal hit changed from +9 to +7F.
  • Crouching walk, back-turn walk speed adjusted.
  • 214P+KT, 3PPP+KT, 4PPPP+KT: Damage increased from 30 to 32.
  • 66T, PPT: After completion, fixed issue where the opponent could not choose between standing/crouching.
  • 2K: Advantage on normal hit changed from -5 to 0F.
  • 2H+K, PP2K: Counter Hit and above advantage changed from +25 to +20.
  • 214P+KT, 3PPP+KT, 4PPPP+KT: Recovery changed from 18 to 23F. Changed to half-rise state after completion of the move.
  • Low Hold: Hurtbox of the catch motion adjusted.
  • Light Down Attack: Damage increased from 4+2+2+7 to 4+2+2+10.
  • Fixed issue where landing 4P after Sidestep P would cause a Critical Finish.

Source: Shoryuken

What do you think? to me it sounds like she got nerfed again...

Blackburry

Standard Donor
At least her stomp damage got buffed back up.

Nerfed advantage after 66T on the other hand...I'm sure it'll be fine.

Batcommander

I always thought it was weird that her BT walk and crabwalk were seemingly faster than her regular walk speed. It made for some hilarious movement. Oh well.

Everything else seems negligible.

MasterHavik

welp..she is getting buried again need to stop listening to online scrubs who think she is broken. ugh...i thought the last patch made her low tier ...this one makes it even more official. mid tier my fucking ass.

Batcommander

• 2or8P+KP: Stance of the motion changed.
What does this mean?
i assume it means whether it leaves you in open or closed stance. Not sure tho.

I dont think these changes are that big a deal tbh, 66T being nerfed on normal is okay as long as the counter version is intact. 2k being 0 on normal hit seems alright.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD