Should "Snap Backs" be allowed in Tag Battle?

Gill Hustle

For those unfamiliar with Marvel Vs Capcom,

Snapbacks are special attacks that allow you to force out one of your opponents' characters so you can KO the desired character.

In MVC, if you feel a certain character is a threat or just want to eliminate them cuz they are low on health you can do so by forcing them into play.

I think this would be an interesting mechanic in DOA and spark new interest in TAG.

Matter of fact TAG is it's own game in it's self so any other new mechanics are welcome for discussion.

:ayane:

Awesmic

Standard Donor
Probably not, unless it's character-specific.

The reason I'm saying this is because it existed as a common gameplay mechanic in only 3v3 tag battles such as MvC2 and 3. They were specifically intended for limiting the assist or Delayed Hyper Cancel (DHC) options between two partners for a period of time. In most 2v2 tag battles, they were non-existent, for the exception of Tatsunoko vs Capcom, where it was character-specific. In TvC, Snapbacks were only given to slower characters with high stamina, namely Alex and the giants.

Perhaps in this manner, this could balance things out for heavyweight characters like Bass, Bayman, and Leon.

Tenren

As Awesmic said. We don't really need 1. We're not trying to build meter like a hyper style game. But it would still be cool to have something like a snap-back. So with that being said how about tag counter or throw that allows you to force a tag. Maybe even allow you to choose if you tag. Like a muti input throw/counter. Where i would input a tag throw then have the option to A either back grab to tag out, or B forward grab to stay in. Then if i chose "A" both you and your opponent are at neutral but if I choice B i can run in and continue the fight up close with opponent. Also given if its a throw. This gives the opponent to throw out to save them self's Plus with it being a tag style throw you wont really see much of it in high lev play unless its a safe move or some 1 styling

Allan Paris

No snap-back system is needed. Snap-backs are clearly needed for the games that they are implemented in, nothing about DOA says, "we need snap-backs" or "how would something like a snap-back help out our tag feature?" Nothing of the nature is neccessary and would be uncalled for in DOA.

There are legitmate reasons tag has lost a spark and it's because 1 of the games has bad gameplay which makes the tag feature twice as broken (DOA4). Then DOA:D does somehing new to the franchise and players don't like it because of how it is setup.

I believe that if DOA5 proves to be a good game mechanically the features of it will be fine as well.

Adamleelight

Sure why not? they should limit to how many times you can do it.

If im fighting Helena and someone tags her ass out I'mma smack that bitch right back in there, I want her face on the floor K.Od

Koompbala

I do not play tag at all so I feel my opinion is not good enough. I will say this though. I always felt that tag was rather shallow in DoA. Now that snap backs are in I think it adds another layer to it.

Dave

I do not play tag at all so I feel my opinion is not good enough. I will say this though. I always felt that tag was rather shallow in DoA. Now that snap backs are in I think it adds another layer to it.

Same here. I think I like the feature, but I'm not one hundred percent sure.

virtuaPAI

I am the reason why you are here!!!
Staff member
Administrator
These changes make tag fun. Mr. Wah was trying to get me to play tag, but it just felt like me just mixing two characters up. But knocking one character out so I can beat the shit out the other has great strategy potential. Take out Mr. Wah's Bass, kill his other character and be able to tag team Bass to death...FUN!!!! lol.

Matt Ponton

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Standard Donor
Not sure how I feel about now being able to force a player out once you've lost your partner.

According to this video at 5:42 I imagine they are calling the snap-backs "Burst Tag".

However, if that were the case, why would you be able to combo from it? Is "Burst Tag" something else entirely?

virtuaPAI

Staff member
Administrator
Maybe there was a translation error...or perhaps they themselves have yet to give it a proper title.

virtuaPAI

Staff member
Administrator
Yup getting rid of the character that's used to extend juggles early on allows for more strategy. Or adjusting the match up for your point character.
-This just makes me want to play Tag as well. It is starting to really act like a Different game, instead of an addon that will get no play time.

DR2K

-This just makes me want to play Tag as well. It is starting to really act like a Different game, instead of an addon that will get no play time.

Yeah there's a lot of applications to snap back that will work really well with DOA. Might even get some Marvel people in it.

Russian-chiropractic19

Standard Donor
Definitely means you got to be more on gaurd,if I get someone against the wall and they remove my Bayman they just saved their skin.i think a lot of people are going to keep their mains back and use them more like specialized weapons,it should be interesting.

TakedaZX

Definitely means you got to be more on gaurd,if I get someone against the wall and they remove my Bayman they just saved their skin.i think a lot of people are going to keep their mains back and use them more like specialized weapons,it should be interesting.

Either that or be very flexible with both of their characters as well as be very flexible and confident in being in a 2v1 situation momentarily in a pair play situation.

Force out sounds pretty cool. You could punish a raw tag which could be a nice tactic to work with. Do snap backs in Marvel require meter?

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD