Soul Calibur Thread

ninjaguy446

I think that has to do with resources. No one wants to remove a character but you only have finite time to include everyone and properly balance them. Unless of course you want Namco to go the clone route or the copy-and-paste route with their characters like is done in Tekken.
Hm, I'll agree with the resources part, but not the clone part. All of the 'clones' in Soul Calibur IV were very very different from each other. Amy and Raphael, Sophitia and Cassandra, Astaroth and Rock, etc. Sure, it does take resources and time to balance everyone properly and give them new moves, but surely it's much easier then creating an entire new moveset from scratch.

Take Amy's transition into Viola for example. Amy was very good, maybe a little to good, but she was an ideal fair character. She had safety and a great low. I could see PS nerfing her, but that's it. Creating Viola, on the other hand, would've taken a lot longer.

What I'm trying to say, is that if PS had enough time to make all of these new characters, with a knock off moveset of their originals, then they could've had a lot more time if they simply skipped the timeskip and kept all the characters. If they wanted they could've even brought new characters with the extra time they would've had.

Dior

Online needs to be fixed... lol, no online Lobbies... really? ranked matches with two rounds... '-' /fail

I tried to be optimistic about Bamco/Soul, but this topic don't let me forget... SoulCalibur TrashSwords is coming to complete the mess, geez lol.

ninjaguy446

I forgot to check if they had JP voices but I prefer the English dub anyways.

Online really sucks without lobbies, especially private matches. I don't know what in the world made them think this was good. But I do adore the new background for the character select screen with the gold.

Zeo

I haven't grabbed SCII Online yet but no lobbies or jap options? I personally have always used the ENG voices for 2 so I'm unaffected. I think the dub in 2 was actually pretty awesome and one of the best dubs ever in fighting games.

No earthly concept as to why there would be no lobbies though. They better fix that.

Also from what I've just seen from youtube, instead of counting as a loss, ragequitting cheats the winning player out of a win and cancels the match. Oh... no no no no no so many things done wrong right out the gate. What happened, Namco?

Last edited:

Dior

The Player Match doesn't have a option for rematch, you're forced to back to the main menu after the fight, you'll need to keep sending invites to the friend you're playing with, that's kinda depressing, >.>

The people at 8-way run are saying the netcode is bad too, but most of my matches were smooth, but yeah... the online mode in general is complete garbage.

Btw, I can live without JP voices, but is strange, ;p

ninjaguy446

The Player Match doesn't have a option for rematch, you're forced to back to the main menu after the fight, you'll need to keep sending invites to the friend you're playing with, that's kinda depressing, >.>

The people at 8-way run are saying the netcode is bad too, but most of my matches were smooth, but yeah... the online mode in general is complete garbage.

Btw, I can live without JP voices, but is strange, ;p
Most matches for me have been not terrible but it greatly affects my gameplay. I main Raphael and with the input delay I can't 6BB SCC.

At least it's HD. :p

Akumasama

Downloaded it for PS3. I downloaded the X360 demo too but have to try it still.
Some comments on the spur of the moment, which I might take back later.

+ Overall it looks good, there some nice new effects redone from zero and it's nice. New menus are cool and such
- The missing stuff (JP voices, theatre etc), while I wasn't particularly interested in them personally, is unjustified imho, there was no need to cut those parts off
+ Gameplay is still there, doesn't seem they fixed any of the bugs/issues of the original european version but I won't complain. It plays the same way as the old version, didn't notice any major difference in the input buffer (it's still the same huge awesome Input buffer from SC1/2). It's way smoother than the X360 emulated version (several slowdowns) or the Xbox 720p version (as above, slowdowns). The rare and occasional slowdowns present even in the original Arcade/Xbox/GC version during certain specific unblockable moves are completely absent here (noticed some small occasional slowdowns on inferno's stage though...)
? Online mode looks like the online mode of a game which came out 10 years ago. No rooms, limited set of options, no skip of intros... it all feels strange. Altough it's better than not having online I suppose (looking at you, SC1!)
? Game looks "strange". No I'm not talking just about the energy bars. It's just that some things feel... off place. Like the shiny pants of Kilik's second costume, and some other aspects too. I get the impression that they used the PS2 version because while some things look better than the Xbox version, some others look worse. At least at first sight.
- There are some bugs with audio (the fight introduction voice sometimes continues to play even if you skip the dialogue) and some occasional bugs with stages (seen a strange popup once in the Astaroth stage)
+ Playing with Heihachi and Spawn at the same time is so cool :D (and despite me hating comics and Spawn, I have to say once more that Spawn has such an incredibly awesome moveset, he's so fun to play, you gotta try him guys!)

In Light of this I feel 18.99 for PS3 and 19.99 for X360 is a bit too much, they should have worked more.
I wouldn't suggest this game except to REAL hardcore fans of SC2 who really intend to play it a lot. If you want to just do a game or two, think twice before spending 20€.
I don't regret it because I know I'm gonna play it a lot and I still consider SC2 my personally favourite episode of the saga, but I sure think they could have worked a bit more on the game instead that this partially disappointing conversion.
A game such as SC2 definitely deserved more.
This is what disappoints people. The fact that they could have done so much more that the small bits they did suddenly do not feel as satisfying enough.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD