Stereotypical Babes in Fighting Games

KwonJigglypuff

This is an update of an old post (from the Casual Thread) I've decided to post here, now with Honoka's recent inclusion. I supposed last summer DOA would have a "pink-haired brat" in the future, well... we had Honoka.

Let's try to guess what will come after Marie-Rose, Phase 4 and Nyotengu... and Honoka!

I'm not going to talk about 'Nationalities' here, but 'Female Concepts' for the future. Understand that I'm looking for existing stereotypes because it sells and it answers male players' fantasies. We have pretty much all the female stereotypes in DOA5LR now, as you can see :

The Brave Kunoichi Heroine (Kasumi / Mai Shiranui, Ibuki, Kunimitsu, Taki)
The Blonde Blue-Eyed American (Tina / Sarah Bryant, Blue Mary, Sonya Blade)
The Skilled Petite Chinese (Lei Fang / Ling Xiaoyu, Chun Li, Pai Chan, Xianghua)
The Heroine's Sister-ish Rival (Ayane / Anna Williams, Cassandra, Mileena)
The Sophisticated French Ojou (Helena / Amy Sorel, Lili de Rochefort, )
The Femme Fatale Assassin (Christie / Ivy Valentine, Nina Williams, Crimson Viper, Lien Neville)
The Schoolgirl Black Belt (Hitomi / Asuka Kasama, Sakura, Yuri Sakazaki)
The Yamato Nadeshiko Wannabe (Kokoro / Aoi Umenokouki, Kazumi Mishima, Setsuka, Makoto Aihara)
The Swarthy Rhythmical Exotic (Lisa / Christie Monteiro, Elena, Pullum Purna)
The Athletic Adorable Tomboy (Mila / Vanessa, Makoto, Hilde)
The Cheeky Flat-Chested Loli (Marie-Rose / Eileen, Karin, Ingrid)
The Sadistic Demon-ish Provocative (Nyotengu / Juri Han, Tira, Eliza, Morrigan, Tharja)
The Heroine's Evil Clone (Phase 4 & Alpha 152 / Pyrrha Omega, Decapre, Unknown)
The Pink-Haired Brat (Honoka, Athena Asamiya, Mignon Beart)

I guess we can expect to see soon :
- the Independant Cop/Soldier Chick (Cammy, Vanessa L., Leona, Whip, Noel Vermillion, Female Tekken Force Soldier)
- the Mysterious Dancer/Fortune Teller (Zafina, Rose, Viola, Chizuru Kagura)

What else ?
- A DOATEC Cyborg (Alisa, Area) ? A Furry (Felicia, Makoto Nanaya) ? A random MILF (Jun, Sindel, Miyako) ? A Nature Girl (Nakoruru, Aigle) ? A Venal Pirate (Bonne Jenet, Niki) ? A Pink-Haired Brat (Athena Asamiya, Mignon Beart) ? A Princess of War (Hilde, Princess Peach, Kitana) ?

Thanks God, the Native American Stereotype (Michelle/Julia Chang) and the Classic Gender Question (Poison, Leo, Eliot after E3 2005) are no longer existing nowadays.

*Rachel and Momiji aren't exactly pure DOA products, but I guess they could fit in the Bulky Busty Amazon (Shermie, Samus Aran, Sheeva) and the Sweet Miko of Justice (Talim, Chizuru Kagura) categories.

KwonJigglypuff

Bonus quizz for you : where would you put MK's Cassie Cage, D'Vorah, Jacqui & Tekken's Lucky Chloe, Kazumi and Katarina in that list ?

Lulu

I don't play enough Fighting Games to spot a stereotype..... all the ladies in Tekken, MK and Street Fighter are pretty unique to me.....
I think DoA's Mila and Kokoro struck me as the most interesting due to their styles.....

Forlorn Penguin

Premium Donor
Hitomi does NOT fit into this list. She's one of the BETTER characters in DOA.

Hitomi's the typical, derpy, "kawaii", waifu bait character. She's pretty standard. Not hating on the character, just telling it like it is.

Though she still wasn't unique by any means, she was cooler in DOA3, as others have said before.

theclassybutler

Hitomi's the typical, derpy, "kawaii" waifu bait character. She's pretty standard. Not hating on the character, just telling it like it is.

Though she she wasn't unique by any means, she was cooler in DOA3, as others have said before.
What the fuck gave you the idea she was the typical "derpy kawaii" character? For me, Hitomi is a young woman who is always challenging herself to get stronger. Yes, she's cheerful and energetic, but there's nothing wrong with that kind of character being cute. You make it sound like a bad thing.

Awesmic

Standard Donor
What the fuck gave you the idea she was the typical "derpy kawaii" character? For me, Hitomi is a young woman who is always challenging herself to get stronger. Yes, she's cheerful and energetic, but there's nothing wrong with that kind of character being cute. You make it sound like a bad thing.
I dunno how Pengu-do thinks, but I will say this...

What may give some detractors that idea is that Hitomi's character went through some changes from DOA3 to DOA4. What potentially could've given her a serious demeanor to her character and a driving force to the main story was downplayed somewhat in the events of 4, leading to a playful rivalry / fan shipping with Leifang, at best.

But in all fairness, the same can also be said about Asuka Kazama in the Tekken series. She had potential of being the main protagonist of the Tekken series henceforth as a contrast to an even more power-hungry Feng Wei, if not Jin Kazama. But ever since Lili came into the picture (who also initially had a somewhat serious backstory), that potential was wasted, and led to them being comic-relief rivals, and eventually best friends (if not unrequited lovers).

Be that as it may, plenty of people still like the character, as testament to her still-thriving popularity. But some just expect more from her in personality as well as storywise.

theclassybutler

I dunno how Pengu-do thinks, but I will say this...

What may give some detractors that idea is that Hitomi's character went through some changes from DOA3 to DOA4. What potentially could've given her a serious demeanor to her character and a driving force to the main story was downplayed somewhat in the events of 4, leading to a playful rivalry / fan shipping with Leifang, at best.

But in all fairness, the same can also be said about Asuka Kazama in the Tekken series. She had potential of being the main protagonist of the Tekken series henceforth as a contrast to an even more power-hungry Feng Wei, if not Jin Kazama. But ever since Lili came into the picture (who also initially had a somewhat serious backstory), that potential was wasted, and led to them being comic-relief rivals, and eventually best friends (if not unrequited lovers).

Be that as it may, plenty of people still like the character, as testament to her still-thriving popularity. But some just expect more from her in personality as well as storywise.
I personally don't care as long as she's not annoying and is fun to play. :p

Forlorn Penguin

Premium Donor
What the fuck gave you the idea she was the typical "derpy kawaii" character?

When Itagaki and his team intentionally changed her into one for DOA4, for unknown reasons.

For me, Hitomi is a young woman who is always challenging herself to get stronger. Yes, she's cheerful and energetic, but there's nothing wrong with that kind of character being cute.

This is closer to describing her original DOA3 counterpart.

You make it sound like a bad thing.

No, I'm just stating that Hitomi does fit into a typical, female fighting game character archetype, whcih seems to be the subject of this thread.

*EDIT* - Ninja'd by Awesmic.

Tyaren

Standard Donor
I always thought, Hitomi was the DOA equivalent (if not even a copy) of Hilary Swank in Karate Kid:

179734_full.jpg

1424323531_hilary-swank-560.jpg

2300027,Nr1ze7vsXPICTg0DEbJMqPFeFqV%20G8LJCv3lkXy%20Up2bQepquqi9pZhA8gInJI1BdqSVxJsLYAg9z%20cpkuJvaw==.jpg

Back in DOA3 at least... Now Hitomi is just another a cute, derpy animu girl. :/

theclassybutler

I always thought, Hitomi was the DOA equivalent (if not even a copy) of Hilary Swank in Karate Kid:

179734_full.jpg

1424323531_hilary-swank-560.jpg

2300027,Nr1ze7vsXPICTg0DEbJMqPFeFqV%20G8LJCv3lkXy%20Up2bQepquqi9pZhA8gInJI1BdqSVxJsLYAg9z%20cpkuJvaw==.jpg

Back in DOA3 at least... Now Hitomi is just another a cute, derpy animu girl. :/
Why is everyone making it out like Hitomi is a bad character? She is not a bad character.

Tyaren

Standard Donor
I
Why is everyone making it out like Hitomi is a bad character? She is not a bad character.
I didn't! o_O Is it because I said "copy"? I actually really like her. She is even one of my favorites. I liked her better in DOA3 though... She was more serious and had a lot more to prove and still she was cute. Now, she is just cute...and only sometimes, we get a glimpse of her former determination.

Project Bokuho

Lady Helena's Pet
Premium Donor
Pretty much what they said. She was a much more serious character in the third game. Her current personality...not that great. Same could be said for Leifang too.

theclassybutler

I

I didn't! :confused: Is it because I said "copy"? I actually really like her. She is even one of my favorites. I liked her better in DOA3 though... She was more serious and had a lot more to prove and still she was cute. Now, she is just cute...and only sometimes, we get a glimpse of her former determination.
Oh, well in that case, you're off the hook. I honestly don't see a problem with her at all. She's barely involved in the story as it is, as DOA 5 revolves around Kasumi putting an end to Alpha-152 once and for all. The story more or less doesn't need Hitomi to be involved, she's just a part of the tournament.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD