Taunting Etiquette

Did this tread change my idea (In anyway) towards taunting ?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Omega SYSP

Standard Donor
Taunting is apart of the game like everything else. Why do people frown apon it so ? It has plenty of (non-trolling) uses in my opinion. Im going to list some and i would like to hear some from others !

Taunting Usage
1. After doing a very difficult move or complex combo ( Mid-Match can be risk-a )
2. Getting a perfect round against an opponent (Done at the end of the match)
3. To get an opponent to take you seriously (Done at the beginning of the match and also can be really risk-a)
4. After a match won on your part (Done at the end of a close match)

Gill Hustle

Unless I KNOW the person, I never do it purposely unless:

1. By accident (Damn SS)

2. The other player does it first on purpose.

Truth be told Kasumi's I think is fair game cuz it's quick and can throw people off. (Bboy Dragon is NOTORIOUS for this). But if I'm playing someone in less than favorable conditions it's equal to giving somebody the finger imo.

Getting a great round/set should speak for itself.

Also I'm probably one of the few people that will message somebody good things about their play afterwards.

Omega SYSP

Standard Donor
Unless I KNOW the person, I never do it purposely unless:

1. By accident (Damn SS)

2. The other player does it first on purpose.

Truth be told Kasumi's I think is fair game cuz it's quick and can throw people off. (Bboy Dragon is NOTORIOUS for this). But if I'm playing someone in less than favorable conditions it's equal to giving somebody the finger imo.

Getting a great round/set should speak for itself.

Also I'm probably one of the few people that will message somebody good things about their play afterwards.

I hate doing it by accident ! You might as well just stand there and give them a free jugggle. Hayate's (Kaku) is pretty quick too lol

X51

Taunting Usage
1. After doing a very difficult move or complex combo ( Mid-Match can be risk-a )
2. Getting a perfect round against an opponent (Done at the end of the match)
3. To get an opponent to take you seriously (Done at the beginning of the match and also can be really risk-a)
4. After a match won on your part (Done at the end of a close match)

Looking through the eyes of a newbie (F rank, new to the series... you know):
1- Might get them angry (smashing crap, so advantage for you).
2- Might get them so pissed off so they'll quit DOA (bad thing for the community).
3- Might get the opposite reaction (take you for a troll and leave the room/match).
4- It's OK, celebrate while you can.

Aeliv

The only times I ever taunt....are when I do it by mistake OR when I'm in a silly taunting match with someone I know. The things you do when lag is horrible... :confused: Most cases, never been big on taunting so I just don't move my fingers over to do it unless it's by accident. I'm fine if people want to do it all day, every day, whenever they want if it makes them feel good and happy and jolly about themselves--just don't kick me continously on the ground after winning and we're good to go. Seriously, don't kick me on the ground. It hurts. :(

prototypetom

i think it can be bad form if you're dominating someone in a string of victories - no-one likes a show off. (and if you don't care, well that just shows off something else about you)

but other than that, doesn't hurt, and can be funny.

Raansu

i think it can be bad form if you're dominating someone in a string of victories - no-one likes a show off. (and if you don't care, well that just shows off something else about you)

but other than that, doesn't hurt, and can be funny.

No one is forcing you to stay in the lobby.

prototypetom

I'm saying if you don't like losing over and over to the same person taunting you then just leave the lobby. No one is forcing you to play that person over and over.

oh right, i see. Got mixed up as I thought we were talking about people doing the taunting. :)

I don't think taunting is as potent as some people seem to. If you find it hard to take an odd taunt here and there... well, it's an odd game choice. whether you're fine with it, or hate it - it shouldn't make you leave a match/lobby.
Personally I prefer to see people acting with good grace if i was given the choice though.

Omega SYSP

Standard Donor
oh right, i see. Got mixed up as I thought we were talking about people doing the taunting. :)

I don't think taunting is as potent as some people seem to. If you find it hard to take an odd taunt here and there... well, it's an odd game choice. whether you're fine with it, or hate it - it shouldn't make you leave a match/lobby.
Personally I prefer to see people acting with good grace if i was given the choice though.
I completely agree ! Thats what this thread is for. I dont think people should leave cause something as small as taunting. See i dont think people know the correct way to use the move. I see people whiff taunts alot lol

Raansu

I taunt if I like the animation, simple as that. I like Jann Lee's old school taunt that they thankfully brought back. I like Brad's taunt because him falling backwards drunk is hilarious. I taunt with Bayman because you just can't play Bayman and not do his cut throat taunt.

Awesmic

Standard Donor
I voted the hidden answer "No, the thread didn't change anything for me. The fact taunts are needed to get an in-game achievement make it excusable though".

Still, I wouldn't mind if Christie had sexy, SHORT taunts. Even though I like it very much, her new one's even longer than her old one. =(

loralei

Only if it's someone I know, or in the middle of the match when I'm far away from the other person. After a clean sweep though, it's sort of rude, and like attacking them after the match. We know that you won, there's no need to rub it in ( I won't overkill unless it someone I'm close to).

tnzk

I treat taunts like a joke: both parties have to appreciate its value.

I'll use Mortal Kombat's fatalities as an example of when I'd use it, since fatalities are essentially the ultimate taunts. In MK, people either perform a fatality after every match, or don't do it at all. As for me, when I win I either just go straight to the character selection screen, or quick jab out, unless it's the last set and I win the bracket. That's when a fatality is most potent and gets people excited; too many fatalities and no one cares. No fatalities and you look like a prude. A bracket winning fatality is not only cool, it just highlights the fact that you meant the previous non-fatalities in good sportsmanship. My opponents have always chuckled at their character's demise.

Not that good at DOA to perform a taunt in the game. I wouldn't do it to throw off or annoy the other guy/girl, however, but I'd do it if it adds to the entertainment for all :)

Justice

I see it as an incentive for the other player to level up. If I'm able to taunt mid-match, they are letting me have the opportunity.

Also, playing as Helena, her taunt is actually useful since it puts her in Bokhuo stance.

HiguraShiki

I see it as an incentive for the other player to level up. If I'm able to taunt mid-match, they are letting me have the opportunity.

Also, playing as Helena, her taunt is actually useful since it puts her in Bokhuo stance.
Not just Helena's taunts are useful. Gen Fu and Jann Lee's standard taunt allow them to crush highs.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD