Community Team NINJA Halloween Costume Contest

JKT

Yep, its DOA. I know we can't change that. I just had some hope that things could change just a little, you know? But oh well what's done is done lol. No point in mopping about it. This subject is tiring to talk about lol.

Blash

Its is, and its unfortunate how it all turned out. Onwards and upwards, lets see what comes next. Maybe a new competition, next-gen version or new title in the coming months.

Crext

Standard Donor

Maybe it's a cultural clash, maybe it isn't. However, calling all the arguments showing a somewhat displeased tone against the result for cases of narcissism is beyond silly.

Then again, in some games I did put my mask on and I sure was fabulous ;)

Sf4-vega.jpg

... and if you'd disagree I'd cut you!

REALDEMO

Standard Donor
^ nothing in my post to you suggests anything about a cultural clash because it IS a cultural clash. Some western voters I saw not just here but in other English DOA forums didn't kn0w that pre-DOA5 Hitomi render is supposed to be a traditional Japanese ghost. The Japanese vote overtook the western vote, plain and simple-- and even that is a grotesque assumption. Obviously no one here voted, or claim to have not voted, for any of the top ten designs won. But how many active users are in this thread? 20-30? Compared to the 12,000 people who voted.

You, and some of the other users here proclaiming that the Japanese designs won only because they are Japanese is the very definition of narcissism. As I pointed out before, Facebook in Japan has a less than 10% user rate. The notion of "we were trolled/hacked" is hilarious, and shows little experience outside of this (English) community.

Then again, in some games I did put my mask on and I sure was fabulous

AZGVBJu.gif

Argentus

Either way, contest wound up kind of a waste for me.

Only ten winners, meaning same girls as every dlc.

None of whom I even use.

And then there's like, the ayane winner. Oh joy, bikini number 26....

Its funny though, Lisa is the only character I see people actually picking the bikinis for.

Crext

Standard Donor
^ nothing in my post to you suggests anything about a cultural clash because it IS a cultural clash. Some western voters I saw not just here but in other English DOA forums didn't kn0w that pre-DOA5 Hitomi render is supposed to be a traditional Japanese ghost. The Japanese vote overtook the western vote, plain and simple-- and even that is a grotesque assumption. Obviously no one here voted, or claim to have not voted, for any of the top ten designs won. But how many active users are in this thread? 20-30? Compared to the 12,000 people who voted.

You, and some of the other users here proclaiming that the Japanese designs won only because they are Japanese is the very definition of narcissism. As I pointed out before, Facebook in Japan has a less than 10% user rate. The notion of "we were trolled/hacked" is hilarious, and shows little experience outside of this (English) community.

Wow, my joke sure rubbed off you (Not a street fighter person I guess).

When I say the "first person shooters trolled us", I don't actually believe my own statement. Then again, you don't know me, so I can see how you can't tell the difference between harmful silly statements and serious grand conspiracy theorists.

Again though, narcissism is "Excessive interest in or admiration of oneself and one’s physical appearance." according to the oxford dictionary, and can in psychology be explained as "Extreme selfishness, with a grandiose view of one’s own talents and a craving for admiration, as characterizing a personality type.".

So ye, in conclusion there is no such thing as "group narcissism".
Maybe you are looking for some other word.

Normally I don't bother correcting people over the Interwebs, but if you continue down that path of throwing out amateur psychoanalysis on the run, then you're in for a lot of trouble. However, if you actually view yourself as educated enough to do so, then maybe you are right after all. Right about this thread including people with narcissism tendencies. *whip sound*

Now this was no critic of you or anything, it was just a genius entré and excuse for posting one of my favorite songs from back in the day:

Spittin narcissism:

... so this is what you call a troll comment.

REALDEMO

Standard Donor

heh, I can tell you don't debate much or take criticism well ;) ;) There was no animosity in my post towards you, since I don't know you and am basing my reply on your statement-- just constructive criticism. You trying to "correct" me by saying "I didn't really mean that" showcases your lack of ability to convey your opinion. Then you get defensive when someone calls you out on it? C'mon, man. There's nothing "psychoanalysis" about that.
And my reply to your Balrog picture was me clowning with (or how you seem to take it, "at") you.

Now with all due respect, if you can't handle criticism (which is a surprising trait, especially in a FGC player) -- as you have show thus far--, I suggest you ignore my message below.

Narcissism describes the trait of excessive self-love, based on self-image or ego. Now think of the context you have provided:

Well... That was disappointing. People must have been trolling like crazy (maybe someone called in the first person shooter crew to mess this up for us).

That isn't self-image narcissism. That's ego. Based on the premise that your opinion and/or opinions of this community that share your taste supercedes others, and therefore when it states otherwise, there must have been foul play. Lacking empathy to the fact that this is just one community, of many especially internationally. That's ego. That's narcissism.

Normally I don't bother correcting people over the Interwebs, but if you continue down that path of throwing out amateur psychoanalysis on the run, then you're in for a lot of trouble.

oh snap son. *whipsound*
brah, I've been continuing down this path. I've yet to see any substance from you. That "I didn't mean it" and Oxford dictionary literal interpretations don't count, and I mention that for your sake.

Now this below IS a critic of you, and it IS just a genius entré and excuse for posting one of my favorite inspirations from back in the day:

... so this is what you call a Float like a Butterfly, Sting like a Bee comment.

Brute

Standard Donor
Proper debates aren't comprised of ad hominem attacks sandwiched between every point.

Anyway, that discussion has ended and will not be re-opened again.

Kronin

Some western voters I saw not just here but in other English DOA forums didn't kn0w that pre-DOA5 Hitomi render is supposed to be a traditional Japanese ghost.

Sorry but what do you mean with this sentence? I really didn't understand your metaphor XD Did you mean that the Japanese people really disliked the appearence of Hitomi in the alpha demo? Because in that case this appeared to me the popular opinion even among the Western fans.

Tyaren

Standard Donor
Sorry but what do you mean with this sentence? I really didn't understand your metaphor XD Did you mean that the Japanese people really disliked the appearence of Hitomi in the alpha demo? Because in that case this appeared to me the popular opinion even among the Western fans.

I think, he meant, that most westerners didn't understand, that the three cloth rags on Hitomi's body are supposed to be a traditional Japanese ghost costume and thus we can't possibly grasp the brilliance of it.
I actually did see, that she was supposed to be a ghost and I still think, that costume is trashy, just like the artist's entry to the last contest, where Hitomi was also just wearing some cloth rags and a tie as a belt.

10153197_520484514722305_2246980875592272733_n.jpg

Here (for comparison) it's evolution and 2nd place of this contest:

02.jpg

Last edited:

Kronin

I think, he meant, that most westerners didn't understand, that the three cloth rags on Hitomi's body are supposed to be a traditional Japanese ghost costume and thus we can't possibly grasp the brilliance of it.
I actually did see, that she was supposed to be a ghost and I still think, that costume is trashy, just like the artist's entry to the last contest, where Hitomi was also just wearing some cloth rags and a tie as a belt.

10153197_520484514722305_2246980875592272733_n.jpg

Here (for comparison) it's evolution and 2nd place of this contest:

02.jpg

Thanks for the clarification @Tyaren

Actually I have realized that the costume had to be related with the ghost theme just for the ignis fatuus floating aroung the girl, said this I don't like the design of the outfit even if it confirmed to use an Halloween theme.

However it's true that cultural differences can end to get an heavy weight in the judgements about designs. Some outfits that could say anything to use and so ended to be judged only from their appearence, actually could end to be the opposite for another cutlure (and vice versa of course).

I'm still trying to realize what represent this outfit for Marie Rose: @REALDEMO or some other peson that know the Japanese culture know the answer?

RWYdX8R.jpg

Shiranui

Is a japanese ghost Hitomi showing her ass xD but more than a ghost I would say is some kind of sorceress of the deads.

Last edited:

Project Bokuho

Lady Helena's Pet
Premium Donor
Not sure if I would have voted for it but I really like it (even not knowing its theme) and I've also contacted TN for making notice them its missing from the pool :(
I honestly think it's an amazing costume, considering that the ridiculous number of her submissions are just Lolita dresses and one costume that originally belonged to Helena (*coughs* Arabia outfit!).

REALDEMO

Standard Donor
@Brute : While I'm a firm believer in "dishing out what you receive", I agree. My bad, and thank you for enforcing the rules.

tyaren said:

Hey I never said the costume itself was great, lol. Just pointing out the cultural differences, and even by Japan's standard it's still pretty revealing. I don't think I even voted for that costume.

@Kronin : When I said pre-DOA5 model, I meant that Hitomi model is from DOA3/4/X/X2-- the body shape is the same but I think he/she modified the face. As for that Marie Rose costume design; 人形アップ basically means "doll", and "帝のリボン" can be summed up as "ribbon style". It's not really a Halloween costume, but more of a premise of "ribbon kimono girl with her doll". It's actually a generic design, no unique meaning behind it. Though I don't know who drew that so there might be some weird context, like maybe he's playing off MR's "innocence" since that's a innocent girl thing. For references:

人形アップ :
帝のリボン : http://blogs.yahoo.co.jp/ba_jie_free/66999712.html

Last edited:

Kronin

Thanks so much for your answer @REALDEMO =)

I thought that the doll could be some magical object from the horror Japanese folklore, as a tool controlling the owner or something similar XD

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD