Team NINJA Social Media Updates for DOA6

NightAntilli

You can actually look at the PSN Trophy list and see how many got the trophy for their first Ranked Match right now.
It's literally at 42.5% and like I said before, you should be able to see something similar for Steam and Xbox Live.
Meaning that yes, the numbers are not THAT depressing and people can't even do actual fact checking before running their mouths.

It's not even that damn hard to do.
Even if that's true... If we take the best case scenario, the amount of people is still disappointing.
If 42% booted ranked and that equals 77k players, that means there's around 180k players on the PS4. If we are generous and say that PC and Xbox combined also have 180k players (most likely it's lower), we reach 360k players total...

That is abysmal for a game that has a free version. If you account players that have played it on multiple platforms, it's even worse. I for one have bought the Steam version and also played the free Xbox One version. It's definitely doing worse than DOA5.

werewolfgold

I haven't been able to check myself, but someone on the Rikuto discord says that they didn't redub the English lines for the 'new' copy-pasted intro and outros. So they have the old VA lines.
I swear to god if this is true... there truly is nothing that can save this game jfc
Um...they don't redub the lines in Japanese either. lol

I'm pretty sure they've been using the same attack grunts since DOA3. It's not surprising. Obviously, the characters that got a new VA had to re-record the line, though. If this was Tekken, they wouldn't even do that. lol

Ninoasker

I'm pretty sure they've been using the same attack grunts since DOA3. It's not surprising. Obviously, the characters that got a new VA had to re-record the line, though. If this was Tekken, they wouldn't even do that. lol
Wait wait wait... I'm complaining because the way it was written, I took it as if the characters that GOT a VA change (like Mila) kept the old lines. Ofc I know some voice lines have been here since decades ago lmao, but I'm actually concerned about the ones who got a VA change since it would just be cheap af to have them with different voices depending on the intro/outro. So what is the truth?

Dr PaC

VF literally hasnt updated their voices since VF4

HHH816

oh no the momiji fan clan is back on full force in twitter realm.

now critisizing the recent patch censorship

RayBellion

If 42% booted ranked and that equals 77k players, that means there's around 180k players on the PS4. If we are generous and say that PC and Xbox combined also have 180k players (most likely it's lower), we reach 360k players total...
(...) It's definitely doing worse than DOA5.
I agree.

I 've done another interpolation. In 2018 Dynasty Warriors 9 sold 4.4 times more physical copies than in 2019 DOA 6 did during the first week. After 2 months, DW9 had shipped 730.000 copies (https://www.dualshockers.com/dynasty-warriors-9-attack-titan-2-sales/). If the relation stays the same, that would mean 165K sales for DOA6, a far cry from the 580K they boasted to have for DOA5 after 1 month. I am unsure about the inclusion of any digital sales, though, since "shipment" sounds very physical to me. Elsewhere I've found lower numbers that described pyhsical sales explictely. Those were only 50% of that. So digital sales might indeed be included in this 730K number. Otherwise, double my interpolation number of 165K.

But no matter how one estimates, sales seem to be much lower this time around, and the early Core Fighter release will make guessing from ranking lists harder. Maybe that's even why they shyed away from having a ranking list available before the relase of the CF version?!

Last edited:

Jyu_Viole_Grace

350k units shipped, we don't know unit sales to users unlike with DOA 5 (and it was for only two consoles and only physical copies).

It's obvious that their bad PR affected this game sales.

Raansu

350k units shipped, we don't know unit sales to users unlike with DOA 5 (and it was for only two consoles and only physical copies).

It's obvious that their bad PR affected this game sales.

Or.....OR you can look at the genre as a whole and see that ALL fighting games sales are in decline.

Jyu_Viole_Grace

Or.....OR you can look at the genre as a whole and see that ALL fighting games sales are in decline.

Or you could look at previous pages where I also put sales of other franchises selling less.

That the genre falled in casual population isn't a secret. That this game ALSO lost consumers due their shitty PR isn't a secret either. Both things aren't
excluding.

just_me

Standard Donor
The 580k number for DOA5 was also shipped copies… the numbers the publisher announces are always the copies they sell to retailers (well and digital sales nowadays)…
Both numbers are from the same source… the KT financial briefings/reports.

Either way… I kinda doubt they had higher expectations. DOA5 (+ rereleases) had ~1.5 million lifetime sales and the only specified target for DOA6 was "happy if we reach 1 million”. It seems their expectations were already lower.
If they had higher goals they would probably have invested some money in development and marketing.

U_C_A_F

DOA5 vanilla in one month on 2 platforms = 580k
DOA6 in one month on 3 platforms = 350k

Horrible decline in comparison to their previous title no matter how you sugarcoat it.

Last edited:

KwonJigglypuff

DOA 5 in one month on 2 platforms = 580k
DOA 6 in one month on 3 platforms = 350k

Horrible decline in comparison to their previous title no matter how you sugarcoat it.

This was predictable.
Core Fighters brought new fighters back in DOA5.
But DLCs and special editions frightened the others.

Can't wait to see their new strategy.

Xhominid The Demon Within

The drop is honestly expected especially after the enormous deluge of DLC from DOA5LR, the expectance of DOA6CF relatively soon after release(they said they wanted to release them side by side but something changed that) and the overall landscape of people waiting until additional versions of the game comes out so they can jump on the "Complete Edition"(or as complete as it can be).

580K from 350K is a bad drop, no doubt, but I wouldn't be surprised if that was ultimately their expectation(since there's no reason to aim UP from a business perspective), I wouldn't be surprised if they ultimately announce that this is within their expectations either.

Jyu_Viole_Grace

For sure they didn't expect DOA 5 initial sales, but Shimbori already said that "TN goals and fans desires didn't met" being that his reason to choose a new director, so it's obvious that these numbers aren't exactly what they expected.

But this isn't the end of the world if they and Koei take this seriously.

In this report Koei told this to their investors:

In accordance with Koei Tecmo’s plans to become the “world number one entertainment content provider,” the company wants to focus on a product concept based on “Quality and Satisfaction.” This means providing high customer satisfaction thanks to high-quality releases while continuing to achieve growth and profitability centered on IP.

What is exactly "quality and satisfaction"?, we will have to see it but we know that meanwhile they growed overall from last year, their sales fall down in west so they will have to do it better if they don't want to falling even more this new fiscal year.

Ninoasker

tbh I'm already SO tired of devs wanting to make games for the "esports" market.
Those games always seem to flop one way or another, it's like companies expect the esports scene to be enough to keep a game afloat for years by releasing a cheap ass early access (bc that's what some of them are, overpriced EAs), cuz you know, "it's a game made for esports lulz all we need to do is release a game and then keep updating it as we get feedback from da hardcore gamerz".
Overwatch is one of the clearest examples of this, the game was a good and fresh FPS, but once they started to focus on the esports (in a really prematurely era of their game), it became barely enjoyable: slow updates, repetitive events, barely any interaction with the actual playerbase outside of the PROs for feedback, no innovation in their gamemodes they seem to have announced a new "workshop" thing tho so there's that I guess, toxic players even among the pros who won't get punished at all... the same goes for DOA6. The game came out in a really bad state, and even tho they are clearly doing things to fix it, they seem to focus on unnecessary crap FOR ESPORTS like the new shitty and crusty censor mode instead of focusing the resources on THE ACTUAL PROBLEMS. Since the game came out, the only update that was worth it was the Lobbies one, and that took a fucking month to come. A MONTH FOR A FEATURE SUPPOSED TO BE IN THE GAME! And for what? It's still a beta feature, since they said they're still working on it to add the chat, multi-match, etc.
DOA5 wasn't made with esports in mind (obviously, the scene wasn't what it is rn), it was made with the actual playerbase and tournament players in mind, thing that's always been the main focus in fighting games... and it came out as a good game! Sure, there's some that say "but it was in the same state as 6 hurrr". Well, sorry, but I don't think so. Granted I bought 5 when they released 5+ (since I didn't have a PS3 at the time), but 5+ was basically a port of DOA5 to Vita, not really a new version at all (since they didn't stop supporting 5 unlike they did when Ultimate came), so it was basically the SAME version of the game, and I can totally tell you it didn't feel like a rushed game AT ALL. It was a finished product. Like it should.
So yeah, I think devs should stop focusing on making a game for esports and making it for the players, and THEN they can promote their games for the esports market, like it has always been like until the recent trend of making games for esports.

NewWestFan

Premium Donor
tbh I'm already SO tired of devs wanting to make games for the "esports" market.
Those games always seem to flop one way or another, it's like companies expect the esports scene to be enough to keep a game afloat for years by releasing a cheap ass early access (bc that's what some of them are, overpriced EAs), cuz you know, "it's a game made for esports lulz all we need to do is release a game and then keep updating it as we get feedback from da hardcore gamerz".
Overwatch is one of the clearest examples of this, the game was a good and fresh FPS, but once they started to focus on the esports (in a really prematurely era of their game), it became barely enjoyable: slow updates, repetitive events, barely any interaction with the actual playerbase outside of the PROs for feedback, no innovation in their gamemodes they seem to have announced a new "workshop" thing tho so there's that I guess, toxic players even among the pros who won't get punished at all... the same goes for DOA6. The game came out in a really bad state, and even tho they are clearly doing things to fix it, they seem to focus on unnecessary crap FOR ESPORTS like the new shitty and crusty censor mode instead of focusing the resources on THE ACTUAL PROBLEMS. Since the game came out, the only update that was worth it was the Lobbies one, and that took a fucking month to come. A MONTH FOR A FEATURE SUPPOSED TO BE IN THE GAME! And for what? It's still a beta feature, since they said they're still working on it to add the chat, multi-match, etc.
DOA5 wasn't made with esports in mind (obviously, the scene wasn't what it is rn), it was made with the actual playerbase and tournament players in mind, thing that's always been the main focus in fighting games... and it came out as a good game! Sure, there's some that say "but it was in the same state as 6 hurrr". Well, sorry, but I don't think so. Granted I bought 5 when they released 5+ (since I didn't have a PS3 at the time), but 5+ was basically a port of DOA5 to Vita, not really a new version at all (since they didn't stop supporting 5 unlike they did when Ultimate came), so it was basically the SAME version of the game, and I can totally tell you it didn't feel like a rushed game AT ALL. It was a finished product. Like it should.
So yeah, I think devs should stop focusing on making a game for esports and making it for the players, and THEN they can promote their games for the esports market, like it has always been like until the recent trend of making games for esports.
In this life, one thing counts. In the bank, large amounts.♪

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD