Tekken

UpSideDownGRUNT

Why are people acting like chip damage is new??? Chip damage has legit been in Tekken since the first game.
It was optional in those games but still.

T..J. Bernard

Why are people acting like chip damage is new??? Chip damage has legit been in Tekken since the first game.
It was optional in those games but still.
I wouldn't say it's new. At the latest, I kinda saw it with Tekken 7 cause of the 2d's. But from what I could gather from my experience (casually and spectating with T3-TT2 and then in a competitive sense in T7) and from asking others, with the older games, you were able to move out of situations better which made it easier to deal with. Not to say that the older tekken's didn't have broken stuff back then. But there was a reason why rushdown characters (Outside of Steve for T4 & such, and maybe Tekken 4-5 Nina, unless I'm forgetting some other characters) weren't always great. But even before T7 released, with the movement nerf, it reduces your defensive options (outside certain characters like Alisa, Zafina, such & I'm not counting armor moves). So even characters like Hwoarang (whom I usually heard or seen to be a middle of the road kind of character) are now higher up in the charts (I remember I think a Japan list where Hwoarang and Steve were considered two of the best characters in the game during T7's arcade pre-release days). I think people don't like the restricted defensive abilities (or the illusion of it. Not really trying to debate the concepts anymore) that Tekken has continuously been doing. And now with Tekken 8 looking to be possibly the most offense-driven game it's been maybe since Tekken 4 (Which ironically enough I think was the last Tekken game with notable chip damage b4 T7 cause it was an actual option to turn on. I remembered it from a YT video I saw), it can concerns.

From this, I guess what I'll say personally is I think instead of chip damage, they could do for example what Soul Caliber did with the eventual guard break for players that just want to hold block for too long. I think that's a better compromise instead. Chip damage for me personally, depends on how it's executed. If it's done like MK11 where you can die for blocking, it's a big turn off. But if not, then it's whatever. SF has it, and other games as well. One more doesn't hurt too much.

Last edited:

KasumiLover

xX_APO_Prince_Xx
Premium Donor
Loving the characters so far, Jun is definitely gonna be a sub for me, her design(and hair) won me over and she looks like she'll be much different from Asuka this time around. Also Gonna use Law, I wasn't into him in T7 but in Tekken 8... he's quite hot now♡ All the other redesigns I like too, Nina was a huge surprise with the short wavy bob, she now definitely looks alot more varied than before since the ponytails imo needed a rest, she looks like an assassin baroness now with the dress

I'm kinda not sold yet till I see lili, if Juns hair is any indication tho, Lilis hair physics are gonna be fire xD Anna and Claudio I'm hoping for too, and maybe some refinement on the heat system, don't mind it now but I think it's strange seeing it after a while, I'm still gonna have to get used to the running in they do xD

Onryoki

Standard Donor
All this negativity around Tekken 8… I mean yeah sure the graphics aren’t the best, but honestly Tekken isn’t really that bad looking. The game so far I’ve seen look fun and the roster we have so far is also nice.

I love the designs of Jun and Xiaoyu, both look really cool. Can’t wait for the Asuka trailer to drop

T..J. Bernard

To be fair to Tekken 8, from what has been said so far, the game has been well received. Much of the content creators that were invited had mostly positive feedback (some critiques as well but no game is perfect). And I think Aris made a good point saying the game plays and looks much better than what the trailers present. Shoot, watching T8 gameplay in 4k looks gorgeous and more alive compared to the grim look of T7. And from what I seen, outside the heat mechanics, the game doesn't look like it plays much different from the older games (outside movement criticisms but that issue's been back n forth since TTT1 & T4 and I don't really feel like discussing that). Are there concerns? Sure there can be. I can only go by what I hear or what is presented. But I think this game has great potential. And outside the Whack-8 trailer, everyone else had a solid trailer with some clear standouts (Kazuya, Lars, Jun, etc). Just gotta see how people from EVO Japan received it and see if there are opportunities to test the game ourselves. Otherwise, I just wanna see who else comes out and what other information comes out (maybe the return of Tekken Force).

KasumiLover

xX_APO_Prince_Xx
Premium Donor
Tbh I hope they don't do tekken force, if they do they need to follow the side scroll set up that T3 had since I don't want them having to cut corners graphically for the mode like they did in T4 and T6. They really had to make the visuals take a bit of a hit for those modes and I truly want them to focus on the other game aspects.

I'm really looking forward to to new designs most tho, I really want to see Lili since her T7 design wasn't really my taste. I'm hoping they'll maybe give her a beautiful sleek dress and hopefully something to switch her hair up, I love her hime cut but I think it's time they switched it up a bit, maybe longer sidelocks or maybe her styling up the back or curling it a bit? For Anna I feel like it'll be hard to top her T7 redesign, her dress was so pretty and I liked the Bob with the side behind the ear, idk what they'll give her but hopefully it's something similar to her T1-T3 dress

I'm praying Claudio will return, but I think him and Xiaoyu had a scenario battle in T7 so maybe they'll be connected to go after Jin.

KasumiLover

xX_APO_Prince_Xx
Premium Donor
She looks good this time around, her face model is definitely quite cute now and I love her outfit, the low heel boots and the casual uniform is definitely her style! And I'm so happy they added new voice lines this time, we're finally getting fresh new voice clips and I'm here for it xD

Just waiting for Lili the queen now, if they managed to make Asuka look this good I can only imagine how exquisite Lili will look xD

UpSideDownGRUNT

Lili is pretty much all but confirmed, look at Asuka's clothes. A french beret and some expensive heel boots? Asuka never wore anything this fancy in the earlier games, looks like in Tekken 8 Asuka and Lili have found a common ground are on mostly good terms now. Also with the updated VO from Ryoko Shiraishi she sounds exactly like Mila now and a lil older in general.

Project Bokuho

Lady Helena's Pet
Premium Donor
Lili is pretty much all but confirmed, look at Asuka's clothes. A french beret and some expensive heel boots? Asuka never wore anything this fancy in the earlier games, looks like in Tekken 8 Asuka and Lili have found a common ground are on mostly good terms now. Also with the updated VO from Ryoko Shiraishi she sounds exactly like Mila now and a lil older in general.
I was just about to mention that too. Her blazer crest reminded me of the Bully series (and a bit of HunterxHunter for some reason). Some folks also pointed out that she no longer has gorilla hands l0l

Last edited:

KasumiLover

xX_APO_Prince_Xx
Premium Donor
What do you mean? Does that mean they're friends now? I didn't see anything new regarding her story. And imo the outfit doesn't seem that fancy, it looks like something she'd wear to a university or something so maybe she's in college now. The boots seem like something she'd wear since her Tekken 6 custom options had a couple of similar heeled shoes. It seems like they went with a design to make her look more girly tomboy since her defaults before have all been kinda boxed in, her new outfit definitely looks like something she would casually wear around and fight in

Onryoki

Standard Donor
I wonder if Miguel and Shaheen are gonna be in this game. I also wonder if they’re gonna pick more original DLC characters like Lidia and Fahkumram to be part of the Tekken 8 roster.

I truly hope Gigas is not returning. Ever. One of the most lacklustre and boring entries ever in Tekken.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD