Tekken

UpSideDownGRUNT

Took some time looking at T8's story (minus the character episodes. Not done looking through all of them). Given I didn't play the story but I watched as a spectator. I'll give praise where praise is due, this story is miles better than Tekken 7, heck even T6's. Not to say this is on par with Injustice. But this is a story mode that did what I hoped it would do in most parts.

Pros:
The final battle was excellent.

Jin was a solid protagonist. I'd say he's a much more understandable protagonist than T7 Heihachi. His progression, though anime-like in some ways, was well executed. And I think an active Jin always makes the story more engaging (compared to T7 Jin).

Kazuya was a good, menacing villain this game. T7 Kazuya was kinda an anti-villain to me that went from 0 to 100 . T8 showed Kazuya as an actual threat which has been missing in not only fighting games but even media in general.

This was the strongest I've seen Ling in. Ling as a character in this story is exactly what I was mentioning when I talked about seeing characters grow, develop, and having story arcs reach its conclusion. I don't know if the anime helped or something. But I actually liked Ling as a character in this story.

Supporting cast had some decent moments. Moments with Leroy, Hwoarang, etc. was solid enough for me. Leo had more shine as well, which was relatively good.

The tekken force stuff was very well put.

Ngl, I was feeling Azucena in the story.

Opening was strong (considering that's what we see with the T8 demo, I liked the opening a lot).

Ngl, Lars had a good role as well. I wasn't feeling that T6 Lars and T7 Lars didn't do much. This was a good story for him. He held his own against Kazuya for the most part. And he was a good deuteragonist.

For what little the iron fist tournament was, it was kinda cool to touch up on some of the other characters if not for a brief moment.

Cons:
This might be an unpopular opinion, but I wasn't a fan of Reina in this story.

Asuka was underwhelming. Though to her credit, she was much better than any of the other games (besides 5) and it look like they finally put that lili rivalry to bed (I don't know about the character episode though so...)

Wasn't feeling Victor neither. Felt like he was stepping on Ravens toes.

The other "antagonists" were super underwhelming (minus 1).

This might be super unpopular but Nina to me is pointless story-wise. Maybe T6 was the last time I saw Nina in a positive light story-wise.

Though Jun does make an appearance, it was underwhelming. To her credit, her character episode was good.

If I had to nitpick one aspect of the over-arching story it's basically, the power of friendship wins. While it's not a bad theme, I can't help but think they could've executed this better.

Overall, though the story did feel like a shonen anime in some regards and I really wasn't feeling Reina (Her character episode though was good and I still like her overall), Victor, & such, for a Tekken story, this was by far the best story to date. And I'll even give it bonus points because we got none of that narrator again.
Hate to break it to you...
Asuka vs Lili rivalry is VERY strong still in Asuka's character episode and I can probably assume the same in Lilis episode. (I've only done Asuka Jun, Reina atm)

Kodachi

Standard Donor
I wish I was. I mean I would assume that Namco got permission to use them, but I’ve heard several different takes and more often than not that can cause confusion.
At this rate Namco should get sued by Hanna Barbara for all these scoobydoo assets

T..J. Bernard

Hate to break it to you...
Asuka vs Lili rivalry is VERY strong still in Asuka's character episode and I can probably assume the same in Lilis episode. (I've only done Asuka Jun, Reina atm)
Oh well. I guess they're going with this similar to how Karin, Ibuki, & R Mika were in SFV. I did wish Asuka had like a Sakura kind of growth but maybe T9. I'll at least give a positive point that she wasn't hostile to Jin in the story. I guess it goes into another con with the story in that it could've expanded on some things more. But I'll take what I can get.

Asuka isn't mentioned in Lili's episode. It's just her, Leroy and Law.
I think I saw that episode. 3/5. Liked the Leroy aspect though.

grap3fruitman

Standard Donor
Made color buttons with ABXY letters: https://www.nexusmods.com/tekken8/mods/30/

NtjWrRv.png

Edit: Made PSX style buttons too: https://www.nexusmods.com/tekken8/mods/32/
1wZ6cM3.png

Last edited:

grap3fruitman

Standard Donor
I'm enjoying what I played. I don't know the game well enough to nitpick it like yall. I'm just starting to get the buttons down. Wish there was a command training mode like DOA/VF so I could actually learn the moves. Struggling with the Tekken system. Any pointers? I can't tell when it's my turn or when someone's vulnerable to attack.

Last edited:

Rob

The Dragon Shrine Maiden
Premium Donor
Yeah I've only seen an option to display a move and then toggle previous or next.

Derock

The only way to practice is to use the option to display the move list on the screen. Once you know a specific move, you can move on to the next or go back. However, for the first time in the franchise, there are command trials. Managed to finish Asuka's as hers was very easy.

Rob

The Dragon Shrine Maiden
Premium Donor
Combo Challenges are KT assets, they should send lawyers after Bamco!

In seriousness I am curious what exactly Shimbori was involved with in the game. He said on Twitter he had little to do with the stage interactions. Was he hired at the beginning stages of development or near it's completion or what?

deathofaninja

Premium Donor
News Team
Combo Challenges are KT assets, they should send lawyers after Bamco!

In seriousness I am curious what exactly Shimbori was involved with in the game. He said on Twitter he had little to do with the stage interactions. Was he hired at the beginning stages of development or near its completion or what?

I’m not sure when he started to a tee, but if he’s assistant director and producer that would mean Shimbori is calling quite a few shots and he’s overseeing most of the project.

Lorenzo Buti

So I have been able to experience through Tekken 8's Main Dark Awakens Story Mode and... it was ok. It wasn't really much when I had to go through the character's plot detail and some past references that anyone might know just somehow is thrown into the game. I honestly wasn't too hyped over it because it reminded me of something what Dead or Alive 5 has worked over before, and that's just my experience. In light of this game, those Character Episodes are a nice comeback to the players that remember those FMV Ending Cutscenes whenever you complete each fighter's playthrough match. It's just.... I really miss how when Dead or Alive 3 and Dead or Alive 4 had those FMV Character Endings whenever you finish through a fighter's story that plays out through the game. I honestly would rather wish those Character Episodes like that for each fighter should make it's return for Dead or Alive 7. Just really hope so... :(

Last edited:

TheHunterKiller692

I really miss how when Dead or Alive 3 and Dead or Alive 4 had those FMV Character Endings whenever you finish through a fighter's story that plays out through the game. I honestly would rather wish those Character Episodes like that for each fighter should make its return for Dead or Alive 7. Just really hope so...
I'm not so sure, cuz DOA 3 and 4, in my mind, had pretty bad story modes, as I've said before. I do agree there should be a separate mode, but my God, T8's character episode endings suck.

So, all the budget went to the Story mode. Everything else makes it feel like a $30 game.
Bingo.

Last edited:

Lorenzo Buti

I'm not so sure, cuz DOA 3 and 4, in my mind, had pretty bad story modes, as I've said before. I do agree there should be a separate mode, but my God, T8's character episode endings suck.
I don’t agree with you saying that Dead or Alive 3 and 4’s Story Modes are awful, it’s just they made those Characters Endings to understand their origin traits a little more. I think it’s a little more better once we get Dead or Alive 7, we might have ourselves a nice flashback of those fighter’s past experience and that would make a lot of sense.

KasumiLover

xX_APO_Prince_Xx
Premium Donor
DOA3 and DOA4 didn't have bad story modes, but the flow of the stories definitely weren't smooth imo and was kinda confusing. The way the modes are set up, it's hard to tell what takes place during the tournament and what is just a random cutscene, like I don't think DOA4 Hitomi and most of the other fighters really participated in the stories per say since everything just didn't really line up correctly, like Jann Lee coming to save Leifang from Alpha 152, Hitomi fighting Jann because he knocked out a dinosaur, and then Helena fighting Bayman to "prove" that her resolve was strong enough to warrant him protecting her.

The character endings in DOA3 were good but a problem that a few of them and that DOA4 endings had is that the endings didn't really seem to have much purpose besides showing some random scenario of the girls and guys(besides Ayane, Hayate, and Helena who had the best endings imo) that didn't really do much to show the actual aftermath of them winning the tournament but again, the story modes don't really seem to follow that narrative. I'm happy they kinda fixed that in Dimensions with everything being in order and more importance, and I like how in DOA5 and in 6 that the ninjas had their own story and the tournament was more a thing for the normal fighters.
So I have been able to experience through Tekken 8's Main Dark Awakens Story Mode and... it was ok. It wasn't really much when I had to go through the character's plot detail and some past references that anyone might know just somehow is thrown into the game. I honestly wasn't too hyped over it because it reminded me of something what Dead or Alive 5 has worked over before, and that's just my experience. In light of this game, those Character Episodes are a nice comeback to the players that remember those FMV Ending Cutscenes whenever you complete each fighter's playthrough match. It's just.... I really miss how when Dead or Alive 3 and Dead or Alive 4 had those FMV Character Endings whenever you finish through a fighter's story that plays out through the game. I honestly would rather wish those Character Episodes like that for each fighter should make it's return for Dead or Alive 7. Just really hope so... :(
I don't think FMV or CGI endings will really be a thing anymore if DOA does get another installment, I think fighting game devs and devs in general deem it easier to just use their own game's models and environments to do pre rendered scenes rather than just separate CGI movies since it saves time and money.

TheHunterKiller692

It’s just they made those Characters Endings to understand their origin traits a little more.
Barely. I didn't expect you to agree, to be fair, but I don't think those endings told us a whole lot. Especially when both games had a lot of loose ends they just left hanging until later games tried to address them. (If at all.)

I think it'd be better if we get a flashback of each fighter’s past experience and that would make a lot of sense.
That's a big if, but it also depends on the character and context. If they try to somehow tug at the heartstrings with Helena, despite her being the one who initiated a PR shitstorm within her own company, I'm leaving the room in a heartbeat. "It's like pineapple on pizza. It's just wrong."

Lorenzo Buti

I don't think FMV or CGI endings will really be a thing anymore if DOA does get another installment, I think fighting game devs and devs in general deem it easier to just use their own game's models and environments to do pre rendered scenes rather than just separate CGI movies since it saves time and money.
But even so when those two Dead or Alive games were released back then, their CGI/FMV Endings had a sort of feel over what those characters are thinking in their minds and what the canon stories are really. Even if they're not the best in terms of the plot, it would only mean for show. But I still do want that Character Episodes to return for DOA7 when the developers would be smart enough to bring that one back over to their game.

deathofaninja

Premium Donor
News Team
I don’t think putting together DOAs story was supposed to be smooth. It required a little bit of research to tie together the winners of each match and I enjoyed that.

The story clearly had development and I could write an essay about that as well, and the cinematic cut scenes are unmatched.

Tekken took 8 games to give us a proper story and graphics that can actually compare to DOA. Don’t agree with me? I don’t fucking care. My eyes don’t deceive me.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD