Texture Editing (PC)

gamemaster14

You missed part of the boat since there was still been plenty of console mod activity, no one really wanted to take on the difficult part. NH days were strictly console back then too.

Yes I do know there was some mod activity here and there since, but it just wasnt a mainstream thing that got talked about openly on forums since people were worried that Tecmo would sue them. Of course there were also tons of people who spread the false report that Tecmo sued Ninjahacker over the nude doax when it was really the fact that people on the forum cracked the encryption on doau character models so easily that Tecmo thought their code was stolen.

gamemaster14

Wait were there DOA5 console mods that didn't involve nudity? I never saw any of those lol
Same here, and I might add those that involved nudity were done very badly, If I recall correctly I remember seeing lazy mods where they replaced Kasumi or Tina's heads with the other characters instead of modding everyone.

The Enforcer

Yes I do know there was some mod activity here and there since, but it just wasnt a mainstream thing that got talked about openly on forums since people were worried that Tecmo would sue them. Of course there were also tons of people who spread the false report that Tecmo sued Ninjahacker over the nude doax when it was really the fact that people on the forum cracked the encryption on doau character models so easily that Tecmo thought their code was stolen.

Fair enough, whatever the root cause, I'm sure caution was justified since Team Ninja had been more protective of their content then other developers.

Wait were there DOA5 console mods that didn't involve nudity? I never saw any of those lol
Yep, I think Kronin posted a bunch a while back.

gamemaster14

Just wondering if anyone has compared the files from any of the console versions to the pc versions to see if they are similar or the same?

The Enforcer

Just wondering if anyone has compared the files from any of the console versions to the pc versions to see if they are similar or the same?
From what I read some of the core files differ due to costume counts, etc. Without having decrypted files for containers though, there isn't much to compare just yet. The only real tell at the moment will be container size. PC core files have addresses flipped or something compared to the console stuff.

UncleKitchener

Standard Donor
Nice, do you have some app/util experience?

very little experience with but I'm reading up on those. Most of what I did were apps and win32 graphics demos and such, so I got dx11 experience but nothing involving dx9. There's a decent amount of info regarding that though and I got some familiarity with dx9 pipeline.

ChrisArmoun

Alright everyone, I think I have it down now. I know some people were getting around the hair issues with a png file but I've figured out how to save all the alpha data as well, which you lose in the png. This is important because if you use a png to edit skin you end up with a shiny mess that looks like plastic. When you get the prompt to save a dds file in photoshop use the attached settings.

If you are unable to preview some dds file in explorer I would recommend you get Sage Thumbs. It allows you to preview them and will show you if there are alpha layers attached. it can be found here https://code.google.com/p/sagethumbs/
DDSFormat-1.jpg

And now the results of the testing. I plan to do some more extensive texture edits but wanted to get the formatting down first. If you'll notice the feathers don't lose their transparency
2015-04-01_00004.jpg
2015-04-01_00010.jpg
2015-04-01_00015.jpg

Last edited:

The Enforcer

Good stuff!

Ffor those that are unaware, the specular quantities for body/face textures are usually inside the 'alpha' layer of the texture, at least if viewing it in Photoshop.

If that layer was missing it could have also affected surface properties.

Baal bal

Same here, and I might add those that involved nudity were done very badly, If I recall correctly I remember seeing lazy mods where they replaced Kasumi or Tina's heads with the other characters instead of modding everyone.
Nope ^^
I took part in the modding on Jtag Xbox (mostly as a follower rather than an activist), and I can say some pretty competent people were involved. The trashy mods you talk about are from the very beginning. Most of the actual consoles mods are pretty good.
Xbox360 Iso removed the modding thread, only Xentax still live.

Kronin

Just to save people some time... Alpha will not be an easy mod. She only has one texture to govern everything...

Her colors are controlled by additional properties and not the texture. Until container & engine properties are discovered it will be a futile effort. That is also why she has received little or no DLC. All costumes of a specific type are in one container, unlike all other characters having a unique container per costume.

Thanks so much for the info: is glad to get a definitive confirmation of Alpha' situation and the reason for her lacking of DLC.

@synce @gamemaster14

NG Mod.jpg

I saw even Ayane's C1 from NG3RE (modified version of her DoA5 C1).

There were pictures and private videos on you tube, now deleted. The quality was perfect being direct porting from the Ninja Gaiden game, if I remember right there were only some strange gravity properties with Ayane's ribbon in her Phantom Butterfly (not her breasts for once xD):

The Enforcer

Thanks so much for the info: is glad to get a definitive confirmation of Alpha' situation and the reason for her lacking of DLC.

I saw even Ayane's C1 from NG3RE (modified version of her DoA5 C1).

There were pictures and private videos on you tube, now deleted.

No prob, :) I still hope TN adds those NG3RE models, but if not, I have a few ideas on how to get them working properly, once encryption is solved of course.

Kronin

@The 4th phase I never downloaded them (neither I would have been able to use them), and honestly I couldn't say where to get the file, if I will get more infos I will make know you. However there was still work in progress from what I remember and I'm pretty sure that such files were created (at least originally) for the Xbox 360.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD