The Akira Thread

Goro Hazuki

The Akira Yuki Thread

bb6c114c8f2320f9223b3ca.jpg

Overview:

Origin: Japan
First Appearance: Virtua Fighter
Fighting Style: Bajiquan (Hakkyoku-ken). In plain english, Bajiquan is Eight extremities (or infinite in some translations) fists. In this style external appearance is rather simplistic while usage of internal body mechanics is quite sophisticated. It is characterized by being practical and powerful. As a close range style, Bajiquan uses all eight locations of the body to deliver painful strikes.

Akira is known to be as one of the harder characters to master, even though he is the Virtua Fighter Series' main character. Hopefully, with this thread and the combo thread, anyone interested in picking up Akira can ease into his playing style. Also, the aim is that veteran Akira players share their input as well so we can all refine our techniques with this formidable character.

This will be the place to discuss everything regarding Akira's moves, strategies, strengths, and vulnerabilities.

Akira's Migration to DOA:

Due to DOA being a different game to VF, Akira plays differently. Veteran Akira players might struggle to the changes in the physics engine and linking their tried and tested combo setups. New ideas on frame traps and other strategies should be reworked as well. However, as most would expect, his moves are very similar to VF5. So far, there are a few subtle differences:

- :1::P: does not knock back, but it does stun and can be a nice setup for further damage

- Most :h::+::P+K: inputs are now :P+K:

- Houtei (and Chouda Chouchu) is now done :3::6::P: (and :3::6::P::P:)

- Byakko Soushouda is :3::4::6::P:

- Souto (:P+K: in VF5FS) is now :4::P+K:

- Teirou Kanpo starts the same :6::6::P+K:,:H+P: but now you just need to hit :h: to do the step back

- Maho Shoukou is now :3::3::P+K:

- Gekiho Honko is :2::P+K:

- Geimon Tessen is :214::P+K:

- Houken is :P+K: (the rest of the Soushou is done the same as VF)

- Kaimon Soushu is now :236::P+K: (the rest of Jirou Tanzan is done the same as VF)

- Tsutenhou (deflect) is now :9::h:

- And finally, all his counters (i.e. :4::P+K:) have been shifted to the DOA system (i.e.:7::h:)

The properties on normal hit and counter are also different. So it is recommended to just rethink Akira in this new DOA context and you'll definitely enjoy playing him in this latest iteration.

DOA5 Outfits:

C1: Sleeveless white gi and white headband. With black belt with name on one end and Furinkazan on the other. This is the standard Akira outfit we all know and love.

640pxsnap20120811at0412.png

C2: Sleeveless open dark blue gi with red linings and a red headband. Red belt and arm bands with dark blue Kung Fu shoes. This is a personal favorite of mine.

snap20120821at124859.png

C3: Dark red Kung Fu uniform with gold accents.Black headband and dark trousers.
doa5dlcakira.jpg

C4, etc:
Will be posted when revealed..

Strengths:

His jab is one of the fastest in the game at 10 frames execution. It provides you with a 1 frame advantage on guard, and 2 frames on normal hit. On counter, it gives you even more advantage at 5 frames. Now, unfortunately the frame trap game is not as usable in DOA as it was in VF (more on this later), but it still provides you with good frame advantages to execute follow up moves.
Akira has some very good launchers and doesn't need to pile on the combos to extract damage. He has numerous quick guard breaks..

Weaknesses/Vulnerabilities:

He is not easy to pick up as a character. His strings are not long (not your typical pppk strings). He does not have a lot of tracking moves. Some of his attacks come off slow, so dealing with pressure from opponents can be tricky. This is where counters, deflection, crushes, and knowing your opponent's patterns come in handy..

Analysis of Moves and Frame Advantages/Disadvantages:

-:6::P::4::P::P:
This move is a double edged sword. The step back after the first punch takes about 9 frames execution. If the first punch is blocked, Akira is at a disadvantage and can be caught with quick moves during his back step. However, if the first punch hits, Akira gets a 3 frame advantage that buys you more time for the step back. The second punch (high) causes a guard break with a decent 13 frame advantage on fastest recovery.
Following up :6::P::4: with :P+K: grants you another very quick hit (10 frame execution) and it's a mid. Good for mix up.
The :K: follow up is slow (24 frame execution) but adds another level to the mix up and can be followed up with a guaranteed throw. The kick follow up is excellent during side stepping opponents as it is the only follow up to :6::P::4: with tracking properties.

-:4::P::P:
Two slow high punches at 15 frames each. They're good for sidestepping opponents as they are two of the few tracking moves in Akira's arsenal.

-:4::P::P+K:
P+K takes about 20 frames for execution, but causes a 21 frame ground bounce advantage on combo hit. On a crouching opponent, it causes a sit down stun of 17 frames on fastest recovery (can be followed up with any launcher of less execution and hit frames for guaranteed damage).

-:1::P:
Good high crush that gives better stun on counter (22 frames counter vs -1 disadvantage on normal). It's a decent move to stop the pressure from the opponent, but be careful with your follow ups because the resulting stun of :1::P: is holdable.

-:6::6::P:, and :6::6::6::P:
Similar yet different moves. They are good for closing the gap (both leave you at -5 on guard, it's not 100% safe, but isn't too bad). it's difficult to link combos into these dashing elbows with the exception of :6::6::6::P: on counter and hi counter hit. On counter hit and hi counter you get a float of 25 and 26 frames respectively. So any follow up with less execution + hit frames can connect no problem.

-:4::6::P:
This is one of my personal favorite moves. 14 frames execution, so it is kinda quick. 25 frame advantage on hit for some guaranteed follow ups. It's a high hit that can always put opponents back in their place.

-:4::3::P: and follow ups
This is a risky move to use, but rewards with a mix up. You follow up with a side step and can either hit with P or P+K. P+K is a guard break move that gives you a 13 frame advantage.

-:3::6::P::P: and :3::4::6::P:
Or the combo finishers as I like to call them. These two moves are your reliable end of combo moves that work in almost any situation. Just hit :2::P: and follow with either one. Just don't spam them out of a juggle because they put you at serious disadvantage when blocked (:3::6::P:at -10, :3::6::P::P: at -6, :3::4::6::P:at -15).

-:3::3::P:
A decent launcher. Unfortunately it does not link very well with the sit-down stuns due to the long execution (18 frames). However, it does provide very good launch height (31 frame advantage on normal hit), so players can follow up with pretty much any move they like.

-:214::P:
Also known as the baker among my group of friends. Slow move (23 frame execution) but with great benefits. Provides a sit-down stun of 19 frames on fastest recovery. So any move with less that 19 frames of execution + hit should be guaranteed follow ups. (i.e :3::3::P: just barely misses as it takes 18 frames for execution + 1 for hit = 19 total)

-:6::K::P:
:6::K: is probably one of Akira's better follow up launchers. At only 16 frame execution, it definitely connects after a sit-down stun for guaranteed juggle damage. On crouching opponents, :6::K: forces a stand up. Be wary though that the follow up punch can be easily held. On juggle, the follow up punch actually provides you with more time to juggle as it maintains a slightly higher float. So go ahead and always land that punch after a 6k launch for more damage and juggle potential.

-:6::6::K::K:
:6::6::K: is Akira's fastest launcher at only 13 frames execution. It is a great move because of it's crushing properties, but it has some disadvantages. You are at a large frame disadvantage on block, it doesn't track, and the launch height is low. :6::6::K::K: does not provide you with follow up possibilities and gives you more frame disadvantage on block as well. Be cautious when using this move.

-:6::P+K: and :2::P+K:
The guard breaks: :6::P+K: has a very fast execution of 10 frames that leaves you with a 13 frame advantage. :2::P+K:is slower at 16 frames and provides a 12 frame advantage. It's useful to use both (:6::P+K: is high, :2::P+K: is mid).

-:4::P+K:
A good move to build up stun (or up to critical burst). On hi-counter it causes the opponent to crumple.

-:3::P+K:
This is one of my favorite high crushes. It's good for closing the gap. On slippery surfaces it causes an unholdable slipping stun. It has no frame disadvantage on block.

-:6::6::P+K: (Critical Burst)
Slower move at 19 frames execution with a 12 frame disadvantage on block. Can be followed up with H+P. (More on this soon).

-:4::6::P+K:
Another one of Akira's few tracking moves. 19 frames for execution. This is a risky move that I can only recommend using on a side stepping opponent. When fully charged, the move guard-breaks, granting Akira a 12 frame advantage, but the very slow 49 frame execution is a dead give-away for an easy counter by your opponent.

-:4::6::6::P+K:
A signature move that is strong and risky. It can provide big damage on counter and proximity. Unfortunately, the whopping 32 frame disadvantage on block leaves Akira vulnerable to pretty much anything.

-:214::P+K:
It's a moderately slow move. Provides a decent stun and causes turn around on counter hit. (More on follow ups to the BT stun soon)

-:236::P+K: (followed by :4::3::P+K:,:236::P:,:4::6::P+K:)
A guard break that provides a 6 frame advantage on block. Followed by three more guaranteed hits for some hefty damage. I love this move. You want it do more? Ok, it also tracks :)

-:H+K:,:P:
This is a decent follow-up. When fully charged, the punch guard breaks providing an 11 frame advantage. However, it is easily held by opponents.

-(:h:):+::K:
The just frame knee is arguably one of the best launchers and relaunchers in the game. It's execution length is about 18 frames with a 13 frame disadvantage on block (so don't spam it), but let's look at the float duration on hit. On normal hit, Akira's advantage on the opponent's float (the duration Akira can actually do something about it) is 27 frames. On counter hit it's 34. And on hi-counter hit, it's 36 frames. 36!! You can take a nap before following up with a juggle.

-:3::H+K::P::P+K: and :3::H+K::P::4::6::6::P+K:
Use them as juggle finishers, do not use them to clear a gap between you and the opponent. On block, you are at a severe frame disadvantage (-24).

-:2::H+K:,:P:,:P:
This is actually a decent move to cover a gap. It reaches further than you would expect and you may knock the opponent with an unsuspecting attack. That being said, the follow up punch does not guard break. The move is not as useful as it was in VF in that regard. However, it is still an excellent follow up to :6::4::H+P:.

Throws: (Soon)

Recommended Strategies:

Critical Burst:

CB combos are not guaranteed on fastest recovery for the moment as I have yet to find a chain of stuns that work in every situation. I found a few on fast recovery, but I think that's just how the game is designed so you don't get a guaranteed CB every time.The CB takes 20 frames total (19 execution +1 for hit) and the longest sit-down stun is 19, so it will not connect on fastest.

:4::P+K: provides a very long frame advantage and crumples, but the opponent can hold. So it goes down to your opponent and what they do in the match.

Examples of CB setups:

- :6::K::P:,:214::P:,:6::6::P+K:(CB)* works only up to fast recovery

- :6::K::P:,:4::P+K:,:6::6::P+K:(CB)* works only up to fast recovery

- :3::H+K::P::2:(:8:), you can follow with a variety of attacks to build stun after this, then :6::6::P+K:(CB)* Also only works up to fast recovery.

Good opponents are expecting CB most of the time, so you can get that just frame knee in instead for a major launch and more damage. Or Akira's :4::6::H+P: causes good damage if you don't want to gamble with your opponents holds. Finally, :6::4::H+P: into :2::H+K::P:(:P:) or :3::H+K::P::4::6::6::P+K: should deliver another punishment option.

More soon.

Basic Training Guide:

This section will primarily cover a "how to start" strategy with Akira. The first thing that is recommended for new Akira users is to utilize the exercise mode in Training Mode to familiarize oneself with the inputs. Akira's moves can be considered difficult to implement and frequent practice is highly recommended. Moves like Jirou Tanzan and the just frame knee require quick and precise inputs to pull off but reward great advantages during play (the just frame knee is one of the best launchers even near the wall and Jirou Tanzan is an unblockable/anit-block guaranteed four hit combo).

The rest of this section will be completed very soon.

renegadedemon89

looking forward to jumping in the lab and making wonderful things happen with this dude, especially seeing as I haven't seen much in terms of advanced level play with him. Which is a shame as I play him in FS and if he's transitioned as well as it seems, he's gonna be beastly.

Chaos

Akira's input is P+K? Awesome. :) Hes going to be the next character to main with.

RoboJoe

Hey wait, if Akira's P+K+G inputs are now all P+K, where does that leave moves like 46P+K+G and 3P+K+G when the equivalent P+K inputs already have moves attached to them?

Goro Hazuki

@Robo Joe, don't quote me on this, but I believe is guard cancels are executed with hold. I haven't gotten as much time as I wanted with Akira yet, but I will get a chance tomorrow and get back to you with confirmation. It's been a while since I played with him, but I remember the transition wasn't difficult to get used to (I did have trouble at the beginning because his VF moves were programmed in my head and hands! hehe)

@Chaos, Sweet! Support team Akira!

Zeo

Former VF (And Akira) player here and I remember his push move being :2_: :4::6::P:, but I saw a DOA5 stream archive a while back that touched on Akira's exercise in training mode and it listed the motion as :3::4::6::P:.

Can anyone who's played as Akira confirm this as it would be much easier to perform this move on a dime since it's essentially no longer a "charge" move. Was this the command in FS? You'll have to excuse me as the last VF I played was the original VF5.

Goro Hazuki

@Zeo, I felt that I still needed to hold :3: to be honest (meaning he has to at least crouch for a moment). It could be a force of habit though. I can confirm for you by tomorrow as well.

RoboJoe

Do you know what the new input for :4::6::F+P+K: is? DrDogg mentioned the vf characters lost some moves and I could see Akira losing this one.

Zeo

Much obliged, as a former Akira player planning on coming back to him through this game I'd like to know as much as possible ahead of time. Assuming :6::6::P:, :2::P:, :3::4::6::P: still chains, is it the best option for him after a successful :6::6::P: or are there better options after the elbow? I'd like to know that as well.

RoboJoe

Are you talking about CH :6::6::6::P:? :6::P: in Final Showdown is not an elbow. Anyway, I think the best option would be CH :6::6::6::P:, :2::P:,:2_::6::P:,:P:. On heavyweights, I assume your combo would be best.

Zeo

Please excuse me, in desperate need of sleep. I've edited my post as I meant :6::6::P:, his elbow charge. Not the :6::6::6::P: variation, when I asked for options I meant options after :6::6::P: , I see that elbow connecting a lot more than the other.

Goro Hazuki

Do you know what the new input for :4::6::F+P+K: is? DrDogg mentioned the vf characters lost some moves and I could see Akira losing this one.

You really got me thinking now. For the life of me I can't remember! lol. I need to go through his DOA move list. It doesn't help that I was just playing VF5 too.

RoboJoe

Please excuse me, in desperate need of sleep. I've edited my post as I meant :6::6::P:, his elbow charge. Not the :6::6::6::P: variation, when I asked for options I meant options after :6::6::P: , I see that elbow connecting a lot more than the other.

I don't believe you can get a combo off his regular elbow, even on counter hit.

You really got me thinking now. For the life of me I can't remember! lol. I need to go through his DOA move list. It doesn't help that I was just playing VF5 too.

By the way, how are you playing the game anyway? I don't recall any events taking place right now.

Goro Hazuki

Without revealing too much, let's just say I know a guy who knows a guy. I feel very lucky to be able to try a few things from time to time. But access still is indeed limited. It's not the final build either; there are a few bugs in some inputs still. And they are noticeable with Akira.

Zeo

I don't believe you can get a combo off his regular elbow, even on counter hit.
Blast, it really has been a long time since I touched Akira. I just checked a few FS match videos as well as Akira's reveal trailer for DOA5 and it is indeed his :6::6::6::P:, my bad. I guess :6::6::P: is a pressuring tool at it's core and nothing more. I'm ashamed, I can't even remember what the frames for it are on block.

Goro Hazuki

It's a tiny bug, i'm sure it will be sorted out when the game is out. Some move links aren't registered as linked (i.e. :P+K:,:4::3::F+P:,:6::P:). The last punch doesn't work. It's just a bug, it used to work in the E3 build. It was mentioned here by other members. TN will fix this one I'm sure.

Chaos

It's a tiny bug, i'm sure it will be sorted out when the game is out. Some move links aren't registered as linked (i.e. :P+K:,:4::3::F+P:,:6::P:). The last punch doesn't work. It's just a bug, it used to work in the E3 build. It was mentioned here by other members. TN will fix this one I'm sure.
I have a qustion, is it easier to do Akira's moves? Some DOA players said the controls respons very well.

ChrisArmoun

@Chaos, I think the inputs are a tad bit more forgiving. His just frame knee seems easier to be honest.
That's very good to know. I'm ashamed to admit that I've never pulled that move off. Even in practice it's brutally difficult using a standard controller

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD