The Akira Thread

wali

i saw a lot of akira vids in youtube but unfortunately most of them are really bad and the damage output is really low i feel like they tonned him down.

Goro Hazuki

Don't worry. His damage output is fine. I've seen a lot of videos too, and most of them are more or less the same stuff (not impressive play). You don't really need long strings with Akira to dish out big damage in DOA. My advice is to stick with the fundamentals and try to capitalize on stun and launch situations when they occur. He has moves that affect the damage output based on proximity to the opponent. Combine that with counter hit, and you get big damage from one move.

For example, opponent goes in for move and is in very close proximity to you. You do Akira's :4::6::6::P+K:. You get the proximity and counter damage. That's easy big damage right there.

He has a good mixup game and a good amount of sitdown stuns. If you quickly launch and do a basic combo, you'll easily chip away a good amount of damage.

I think the biggest thing you'll struggle with at first is transitioning from VF physics to DOA. But you'll relate quickly if you keep at it.

Updated first post with relevant info. Kindly, let me know what other sections or additions you all would like in the first post. Thanks :)

wali

Nice Goro keep it up and i well be very glad to help.
:214::P+K: doesn't force side turn as i heard so what is new properties
:3::3::P+K: is shoulder class move it can be hold like mid punish or it can't be hold

Goro Hazuki

@Wali, Yeah I mentioned in the combo thread that :214::P+K: does not force a side turn. It does cause a turn around stun (forces your opponent into back turn) from stun and also counter I believe. I have yet to link a guaranteed follow up to the opponent's turn around, but I plan on trying things out once the game is released.

:3::3::P+K: should be countered as mid punch. In DOA, :P+K: attacks are countered the same as punches and :F+K: and countered the same as kicks.

In other news, a recent video was released with some Akira play. While the fight isn't really that good or high level, and the Akira player doesn't really do anything spectacular, there is one point of interest here. At around the :32 second mark...

Akira does :3::3::P:, follows with :P:, then does :214::P: and it achieves a ground bounce. I was worried this would not work, and I only get chances to play quick matches with him in the 0.95 build so I couldn't experiment as extensively as I would have liked. But I'm glad to see that the :214::P: is fast enough to catch a character like Pai and causes a ground bounce. I believe there are a few options other than the one done in the video to follow up the string. Exciting possibilities :)

wali

if you notice at 1.16 it looks like Akira :6::6::P: cause stun .
and goro don't forget to add Akira Okizeme section to your guide
Edit
I just so Bayman combo vid he did side change throw and guaranteed him back turn throw i think this maybe applied to Akira change side throw too (in VF it put him in +6 frame and the basic throw here is 5 frames)

Chaos

I hope they keep that ground bounce Akira is doing because its a great way to use his deadly 3 hit combo.

Goro Hazuki

if you notice at 1.16 it looks like Akira :6::6::P: cause stun .
and goro don't forget to add Akira Okizeme section to your guide
Edit
I just so Bayman combo vid he did side change throw and guaranteed him back turn throw i think this maybe applied to Akira change side throw too (in VF it put him in +6 frame and the basic throw here is 5 frames)

Yeah :6::6::P: causes stun but the opponent can easily shake out of it and follow ups are not guaranteed.

An Okezeme section will be added as a subsection of the Strategy section :) I plan to put all the defensive and offensive ground game in this section (including force teching). If members prefer a different layout, I will gladly fit the information to meet the majority's requests.

Finally, the back turn that Akira causes pushes the opponent a bit further away so I'm not sure you can catch them with a throw in time (but it's worth a try).

I hope they keep that ground bounce Akira is doing because its a great way to use his deadly 3 hit combo.

That's exactly what I was thinking as one of the possibilities. (Altough it's probably the first thing all us Akira players think of! lol).
"Hey the opponent is an inch off the floor...one, two, three oooorya!"

wali

@Wali, Yeah I mentioned in the combo thread that :214::P+K: does not force a side turn. It does cause a turn around stun (forces your opponent into back turn) from stun and also counter I believe. I have yet to link a guaranteed follow up to the opponent's turn around, but I plan on trying things out once the game is released.

maybe :3::H+K::P+K: , :4::6::P: ,:6::K: , :1::P:(to add another stun) or just frame knee connect did you test them ?
imagine if combo like this connect :214::P+K:(back turn stun) :1::P: :6::K::P: :4::3::P::3::H+K::P::4::6::6::P+K: you well see a lot of disconnect followed with big F message

Goro Hazuki

Lol that would be nice, but I'm skeptical that :1::P: will connect. If it does, then the combo you posted may connect (for the most part) and would be guaranteed because the opponent is in BT.

If :3::H+K::P+K: connects, then you should get a ground bounce and can follow more damage from there.

:4::6::P: and :6::K: would also be nice.

However, the back turn pushes the opponent a tad further so all of these may not be guaranteed (opponent can escape and turn around fast enough for the block or counter). But the options you listed are worth exploring. Man I wish the game was out already!

Chaos

Lol that would be nice, but I'm skeptical that :1::P: will connect. If it does, then the combo you posted may connect (for the most part) and would be guaranteed because the opponent is in BT.

If :3::H+K::P+K: connects, then you should get a ground bounce and can follow more damage from there.

:4::6::P: and :6::K: would also be nice.

However, the back turn pushes the opponent a tad further so all of these may not be guaranteed (opponent can escape and turn around fast enough for the block or counter). But the options you listed are worth exploring. Man I wish the game was out already!
I definitely agree with you! Waiting for this game to come out is killing me! lol I tried to find some games to keep me busy but Its not working because I'm in a mood of playing DOA5! But don't worry we have to wait 6 days anyways. ;)

wali

I definitely agree with you! Waiting for this game to come out is killing me! lol I tried to find some games to keep me busy but Its not working because I'm in a mood of playing DOA5! But don't worry we have to wait 6 days anyways. ;)
you are so lucky i am in work trip until the end of October so i have to wait another month

wali

here some of the change after the day one patch people with game test these changes please .

Mid K while sidestepping(e.g :3::K:)
Hitting a character with this while their back is turned downs them.​
:6::6::P:
Hitting a character with this as a normal back hit causes a small stagger​
:4::6::P: ,:4::3::P:, :6::4::H+P:
Increased input time (i have no idea what this mean)​

Goro Hazuki

here some of the change after the day one patch people with game test these changes please .

Mid K while sidestepping(e.g :3::K:)​
Hitting a character with this while their back is turned downs them.​
:6::6::P:
Hitting a character with this as a normal back hit causes a small stagger​
:4::6::P: ,:4::3::P:, :6::4::H+P:
Increased input time (i have no idea what this mean)​

I don't know what the mean by the 1st one. But :3::K: doesn't track, so I'm not sure what they're referring to.

I can't tell you how big a difference the second one makes. I don't know how it was before.

The third one seems to mean that you don't have to execute those three moves as fast for them to work.

Zeo

Any footage of a decent Akira (besides that one Fuudo video) on youtube or something? So far I'm the only Akira I've seen online and a good few players comment on how they haven't seen a decent Akira before myself and I don't even consider myself good.

With no one to learn from I'm pretty much developing strategies, BnBs and the like from scratch in training mode (aside from the combos in the Akira thread, though the JF knee is nigh impossible for me to do in match play.).

Goro Hazuki

I couldn't find anything for him in DOA5 just yet. I want to make a short combo video with him. My plan with the video is not to rack up long chains or damage, but to show various links and variations on those links.

i.e) Video would show :4::6::P:, Then from there I would show all of these follow ups:
-:K:
-:2::P:,:4::6::P+K:
-:2::P:,:3::6::P::P:
-:2::P:,:3::4::6::P:
-:3::H+K::P::P+K:
-:3::H+K::P::4::6::6::P+K:
-:2::P:,:3::H+K::P::P+K:
-:2::P:,:3::H+K::P::4::6::6::P+K:
-(:h:):+::K:, :2::P:,:3::4::6::P:
etc...

I think you get the picture. And all of this is connected from a quick high punch attack. Then, we'll go into a mid punch links, high kick links, mid kick links, throw links....etc. Then finally, ways to build up to CB.
The purpose of the video will be to have decent damage followups from most situations.

wali

Any footage of a decent Akira (besides that one Fuudo video) on youtube or something? So far I'm the only Akira I've seen online and a good few players comment on how they haven't seen a decent Akira before myself and I don't even consider myself good.

With no one to learn from I'm pretty much developing strategies, BnBs and the like from scratch in training mode (aside from the combos in the Akira thread, though the JF knee is nigh impossible for me to do in match play.).
i don't have the game yet i have to Waite for UK PSN to update but here some tips about some move
first of all Akira best rang to fight is close range so use his elbows to cover the distance.
:8::K: I am not sure about the command but this Akira while jump kick use to jump over low and sweeps .
:6::6::P+K: have very good range crush high and lead you to his Teirou Kanpo guess game with :P: and :K: the tow move are very delay-able and if you see them guarding high cancel to Akira guard break combo or just throw them and i almost forget this move is very useful to punish whiff.
:4::6::P+K: hit them in the middle of their roll if you time it correctly it need some practice .
:214::P: although slow but eat low like nothing and lead you to some useful combo like the one Goro posted.
:3::3::P+K: go under high on hit it cause stagger and you can go for throw or guard break wile they are busy shacking out of the stagger.
:3::P+K: go under high and on counter hit it lead you to JK combo.
:6::6::6: :P: cover large distance and it useful to close the gab i don't know the frame in this game yet but i can say in +6 frame it can beat any thing they throw at you unless it sabaki and it launch in counter hit.
:9::h: sabkii high kicks,punish and low punish too and give you free combo , i guess this move very useful to you than me hence you are familiar with DOA cast moves.
:6::6::K::K: one of the best OKI in Akira arsenal use it to crush their low and while rising low attack and they well stop using them
:6::P::4: Akira back step to his :K: which is low, :P: :P: guard break to free launcher, :P+K: lauch in counter hit three attack with different level if :6::P: guarded use the back step to create a safe distance if they try to jab back assuming you about to attack they well whiff and be wide open, on hit it cause stun so use this opportunity to use one of the back step attack while they are shacking out from the stun for a good mix up free cancel to JK ,throw or what you see fit depending on you opponent play style.
Akira is straight foreword character and his game can lead you to develop a pattern and this not a healthy thing specially in this game so always try to adapt you opponent game and style and use Akira tools to turn the table against them.

Zeo

I never would have guessed using :6::6::P+K: as a spacing tool, to close a gap I would always go for an elbow, SS attack, :H+K: ,:P: or :4::6::6::P+K: (Purely for punishing whiffs, works wonders). No clue it crushed highs either, but I'd usually just go for :3::P+K: to do that. Though this looks like a much better option at range.

Jumping over lows with those kicks is also definitely an idea I'll have to try to put into practice. Definitely liking those setups into guard breaking rather than simply waiting for them to guard after a string when they think I'll punish like I was doing before. Didn't know :6::P::4: , :P: :P: was a guard break either but most people lack experience against this character and are prone to get hit with it anyway.

Thank you for all the advice and information on his moves and strategies, I will definitely be putting them into practice and doing my best to incorporate some of it into my gameplan. With no other Akira players around (Never actually seen Goro play or played him) I'm pretty much on my own, so any advice/info helps. And Goro definitely looking forward to that video.

Now assuming you've been playing online at all, how do you deal with Kokoro, Kasumi and Lisa? Those characters specifically give me a headache.

wali

I never would have guessed using :6::6::P+K: as a spacing tool, to close a gap I would always go for an elbow, SS attack, :H+K: ,:P: or :4::6::6::P+K: (Purely for punishing whiffs, works wonders). No clue it crushed highs either, but I'd usually just go for :3::P+K: to do that. Though this looks like a much better option at range.

Jumping over lows with those kicks is also definitely an idea I'll have to try to put into practice. Definitely liking those setups into guard breaking rather than simply waiting for them to guard after a string when they think I'll punish like I was doing before. Didn't know :6::P::4: , :P: :P: was a guard break either but most people lack experience against this character and are prone to get hit with it anyway.

Thank you for all the advice and information on his moves and strategies, I will definitely be putting them into practice and doing my best to incorporate some of it into my gameplan. With no other Akira players around (Never actually seen Goro play or played him) I'm pretty much on my own, so any advice/info helps. And Goro definitely looking forward to that video.

Now assuming you've been playing online at all, how do you deal with Kokoro, Kasumi and Lisa? Those characters specifically give me a headache.
I don't have the game yet it banned in our area :mad: so i have to wait for the UK psn to be updated,all the tips i gave to you come from my VF knowledge.
for these character i guess you do one of these things attack when it not your turn or you just watch closely and react to late or you do both of the tow
know there frames and don't let them force you to play their game Akira :4::6::P: come out in 14 frames(maybe changed in this game) it can handle must of the mid at+3 advantage and lead to combo.
:6::6::P: 13 frame and cause stun in hit . and use :3::P+K: and :3::3::P+K: to crush there low and high to setup guard break or throw and when they start to panic use Akira big move to score high damage and finish them ( not MK style) for good.
edit
I pm Goro so he well give you more information how to deal with your problematic ladies.

Goro Hazuki

Hey Zeo and Wali, (and anyone else interested), I'll share my thoughts on Wali's post regarding Akira in DOA5.
i don't have the game yet i have to Waite for UK PSN to update but here some tips about some move
first of all Akira best rang to fight is close range so use his elbows to cover the distance.
:8::K: I am not sure about the command but this Akira while jump kick use to jump over low and sweeps .
Yeah, the input is the same and works really well. You can time it as a launcher as well (it throws off a lot of players, even high level ones, because of the slight delay). High level players will catch on to this soon though, so be wary of using it all the time.
:6::6::P+K: have very good range crush high and lead you to his Teirou Kanpo guess game with :P: and :K: the tow move are very delay-able and if you see them guarding high cancel to Akira guard break combo or just throw them and i almost forget this move is very useful to punish whiff.
This attack is terrible on guard (12 frame disadvantage), with little to gain. The Teiro Kanpo follow up with :P: is no longer a combo here, so you're risking putting yourself out there for a 50/50 mix up game.
:4::6::P+K: hit them in the middle of their roll if you time it correctly it need some practice .
Low damage at fast input, but great for side stepping opponents. Also, :4::P: has good tracking properties as well.
:214::P: although slow but eat low like nothing and lead you to some useful combo like the one Goro posted.
I think you guys already know that I am a fan of this move. Grants you a sit-down stun (or ground bounce from juggle)
:3::3::P+K: go under high on hit it cause stagger and you can go for throw or guard break wile they are busy shacking out of the stagger.
Does not guard break. (7 frame disadvantage), countered as mid punch, so might get caught easily
:3::P+K: go under high and on counter hit it lead you to JK combo.
Good for closing gap and setting up combos.
:6::6::6: :P: cover large distance and it useful to close the gab i don't know the frame in this game yet but i can say in +6 frame it can beat any thing they throw at you unless it sabaki and it launch in counter hit.
About 7 frame disadvantage on block. Knocks back on hit. I like it against the wall though.
:9::h: sabkii high kicks,punish and low punish too and give you free combo , i guess this move very useful to you than me hence you are familiar with DOA cast moves.
Causes crumple, follow ups not guaranteed, but gives good breathing room and you can put some pressure after it.
:6::6::K::K: one of the best OKI in Akira arsenal use it to crush their low and while rising low attack and they well stop using them
Excellent attack, but leaves you vulnerable for almost anything. (20 frame disadvantage).
:6::P::4: Akira back step to his :K: which is low, :P: :P: guard break to free launcher, :P+K: lauch in counter hit three attack with different level if :6::P: guarded use the back step to create a safe distance if they try to jab back assuming you about to attack they well whiff and be wide open, on hit it cause stun so use this opportunity to use one of the back step attack while they are shacking out from the stun for a good mix up free cancel to JK ,throw or what you see fit depending on you opponent play style.
:6::P::4:,:P::P: still guard breaks. Good for turtles, but obviously be careful for that high punch counter. Thankfully, you can mix up with :K:for a low hit and a guaranteed followup throw.
Akira is straight foreword character and his game can lead you to develop a pattern and this not a healthy thing specially in this game so always try to adapt you opponent game and style and use Akira tools to turn the table against them.
This goes back to the point we were talking about earlier. Don't think about your setups as much in the beginning. Just try to play safe and deliver punishment when possible. React to the opponent (or force reactions from them).

@Zeo, To be honest, I'm not finding those characters to be particularly challenging to Akira's arsenal. Akira can beat Lisa to the hit most of the time, just familiarize yourself to her new patterns (she gained a lot of new moves). Kasumi is quick with her attacks, so she may cause Akira some trouble (like Christie would), so side stepping and defensive moves would help. Kokoro is good at the mixup and she has a new stance where she can dish out low, med, or high attacks in a flash. Because I can't afford to gamble a guess with Kokoro, I try to use the SS when I feel it's useful. Crushes work wonders for all the three (and others). What could help is if there is something specific you can share that is annoying you with those characters.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD