The Art Style and Graphics Discussion

Ninoasker

Can’t wait to play my daddy Red Hood ❤
The taste........... omg girlie knows where the good shit is at wbk!
I don't think it looks bad either, but it's just not that impressive to me. But again, time will tell!

Btw, we also got a glimpse of the Suicide Squad game!
Now that's something that interests me. It looks so cool! Kinda reminds me of IJ2, and that Clarkie looking swole af omg DILF of the year wbk...! The only thing I'm not digging about this is that its a CGI and that's it, I really wanted a gameplay showcase. I also don't like Harley's look that much either but hopefully we'll be able to dress the squad in some alternate outfits and she gets some cool ass ones cause this one with the Chun Li hairdo ain't doing it for me lmao

Onryoki

Standard Donor
The taste........... omg girlie knows where the good shit is at wbk!
I don't think it looks bad either, but it's just not that impressive to me. But again, time will tell!

Btw, we also got a glimpse of the Suicide Squad game!
Now that's something that interests me. It looks so cool! Kinda reminds me of IJ2, and that Clarkie looking swole af omg DILF of the year wbk...! The only thing I'm not digging about this is that its a CGI and that's it, I really wanted a gameplay showcase. I also don't like Harley's look that much either but hopefully we'll be able to dress the squad in some alternate outfits and she gets some cool ass ones cause this one with the Chun Li hairdo ain't doing it for me lmao
Of course I know where the good shit at. I’m a seasoned homosexual, I got taste ❤️
Clarke could impregnate me and I’d not be sad about it. This trailer was fun, I really hope we get a gameplay trailer soon and I really want to know if poison ivy will be in This game.

DestructionBomb

Standard Donor
Not interested AT ALL tbh. Doesn't look appealing to me... like, it looks nothing special? Pretty standard thing for this generation. In fact I think it looks like a game that could've come out early in this gen. BUT! I've read this is just a pre-alpha so hopefully it will end up looking more interesting as the development progresses. And this is just in graphics since this is the graphics thread after all, but gameplay-wise it also doesn't appeal much to me rn. Reminds me of the upcoming Avengers game, game that I also have a pretty big lack of interest in.

Rocksteady went through some heavy changes. Some of their key developers got shfited or even promoted to do other things unfortunately.

My only concern with Gotham Knights is that there seems to be some sort of Destiny-level system applied. There's a bit of some worry situations from reddit thread users that it might have microtranscations and the like etc.

DestructionBomb

Standard Donor
I mean, Rocksteady games were always mash-to-win. Would a Destiny-level system really compromise anything the studio was actually known for doing well up until this point?

True yeah, I was thinking that they could have the possibility to stoop even lower. Probably prioritize it even more with that idea mind because it's sort of popular all of a sudden. Similar to Fortnite where other game developers seem to want to make their own battle royale, and because things like that get popular, sometimes it'll be the only thing they want to develop and not progress further than that.

Tyaren

Standard Donor
Weird, I did get no alerts that this thread was active and that I have even been tagged multiple times. o . O

Those DC games didn't impress me, to be honest. The one with Harley Quinn and Superman looked nice, that was however more or less a CGI or in-engine cinematic and that co-op game looked imo mediocre, especially the characters and their animations. Is that from the Arkham Knight developers? I didn't play that game for a long time, but I feel it looked already better at the beginning of this generation. At least the cape physics were clearly better or whatever that thing was that was weirdly flapping back and forth on Batgirl's back.

In Regards to Call of Duty, those games all look all the same to me. 4K resolution, 120fps and ray-tracing sounds impressive though, maybe a bit too impressive and more something for PS6. ;)

What did however wow me was the new Ratchet and Clank demo on Gamescom. They also finally provided us with a 4K version:

Such a beautiful game.

Hayabusiness

@Tyaren
I don't have screens at hand (and if I did I probably couldn't upload them because of my awful internet connection), but the Xenoblade Chronicles remaster, while having a blander art style for the characters, really did a cool job with the Bionis and the Mechonis. It's INCREDIBLE. You can see Eryth Sea very well from Makna Forest (unlike the OG which has just a hint), for example, but most of all, from what I played so far, I loved clearly seeing the Fallen Arm from the upper parts of the Bionis Leg. Despite being on more or less old portable hardware, the environment artists at Monolith really made the draw distance work wonders and have shown how beautiful and alien is the world of the game.

Tyaren

Standard Donor
@Tyaren
I don't have screens at hand (and if I did I probably couldn't upload them because of my awful internet connection), but the Xenoblade Chronicles remaster, while having a blander art style for the characters, really did a cool job with the Bionis and the Mechonis. It's INCREDIBLE. You can see Eryth Sea very well from Makna Forest (unlike the OG which has just a hint), for example, but most of all, from what I played so far, I loved clearly seeing the Fallen Arm from the upper parts of the Bionis Leg. Despite being on more or less old portable hardware, the environment artists at Monolith really made the draw distance work wonders and have shown how beautiful and alien is the world of the game.

Great art will always trump not so great tech. Even on the good old Wii areas like Eryth Sea looked already absolutely gorgeous!

b3f9a993f01bf56683dda41a2d1bbd0f.gif

Are you having fun in the remake? :)

@Tyaren @DestructionBomb NEW GAMESCOM/FUTURE GAMES SHOW TRAILER FOR BRIGHT MEMORY INFINITE!!!

You really are looking forward to this one, huh? ;)
What do you like about?

By the way... Koei Tecmo has just announced that they'll reveal a secret new game on Tokyo Game Show. Imagine that would be DOA6 Ultimate for PS5, Xbox Series X and PC with an overhaul of the shitty and unpolished current graphics.
I'm not sure if the thought of DOA6U should appal me or if it should appal me even more, lol.

Last edited:

Hayabusiness

Are you having fun in the remake? :)
Indeed. I thought the original game was fine as is, but the gameplay improvements are making it really worth replaying and fun. They even let you customize the characters' outfits instead of having to deal with the awful (but powerful) armor combinations lol.
I left it aside to play shorter games while studying, but I will definitely go back to it asap.
If I find a way to upload my Switch screens easily, I might even post some of them and pull out my older Xenoblade 2 screens for comparison (still a pretty game, but worse art direction IMO).

Replaying 1 just made me confirm that 2 having more titans to explore doesn't mean better.
First of all, titans in 2 somehow repeat most of the environment types laid out in Bionis and Mechonis because JRPGs gotta have the green forest stage and the snow stage, et cetera.
And second, seeing future or past areas of the two titans by just tilting the camera and looking around is priceless. Even in the Bionis' interiors, an enclosed area, you can clearly see its (pretty gross) pulsating heart from its... stomach, I believe.
I don't remember XB2 ever wowing in me this way. They still managed to make unique and pretty settings, because Monolith's environmental artists always dab on other JRPG devs, but it's a step down over the scope of the OG despite its premise of having seven titans instead of two.

Juihau

If I find a way to upload my Switch screens easily, I might even post some of them and pull out my older Xenoblade 2 screens for comparison (still a pretty game, but worse art direction IMO).
I made a private Twitter account I can just dump screenshots onto to share quick and easy. Made my main account its only follower so I can easily access the posts without having to switch accounts.

Tyaren

Standard Donor
Playstation released several new PS5 in-game screenshots of Demon's Souls and Kena: Bridge of Spirits.

Demon's Souls:

81NfDGzobOL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

EheBMNrUYAAR8d8

EheBK4BU8AIRIWH

Kena:

ACtC-3c1vzkZfXUJyNLQ9h_b5FGpdjP16X798sFq11qPI1O1r34zCAJFoxtZ2Iv968WNONcvzcfhDZ1MPSNwBDCTIH641ZOw5SVUhIECJazf0I34aNCvEH-lsRO8c_nouH2gMeSuarhtgwPSCefj3CMClejj=w1664-h937-no

ACtC-3dagPvmspdujxXg6qAuVHx2ISxi9GCQRI03T0klXEilO2OikukjYuCDiIwHZyLwsn79XkRGmld94MoTeVn2OOeGk3X6sqk6xCXT6Ej_7U4FPiKCmnCOKDHabmv8OyUUUO9fyHNfWpq65qLEqHjC_0LB=w1746-h938-no

ACtC-3eVkTyr2aLpnMKNboyOdcTSXZGIWTub20omT6nrWkwvIQwp8WdPQIIuilWC7A3fgiN_xRmzQXPHmwBUMZzd1TGyu5G7kO7eq1f3zYGxZwa6bneqVyewvN76SDNIs74L6k5L-XePNyGM46tq_AObMenI=w1666-h937-no

ACtC-3dDWkr4f7GTWIYopvbqbi7TwCPsHinNBEF1E1_DRPC1v0AuAMv_p6byCk8fVsi3kZgroi8LWUnAi0vZNpDpk4eRVoM-AMoTAF5Jd5VxE6Fn7e6JjQ58qOeU3Uzwe5m_q5LH0bwrn8LhDEW1tXoMkOck=w1670-h937-no

ACtC-3eMhmMwPSUWbJ2HOyUjfAn632MuQCCTVal4TbO5qXZglIqKPPVdC9ObYIjpX4DwY3nXb1XBPnidwa5u--yvSZbGcV57G_ojJ6uYiKUey-2HbNypVhXVU0V7KQGjOW7VI5WgZRysqDjdeaLwKzkzowwf=w1668-h937-no

so-beautiful.gif

The cutscenes on the Vita are obviously just video files, while on the Xbox360 they are real-time graphics. So comparing those makes not much sense. in the victory animation and during fighting you can see the very clear differences however. There are way less detailed character models and environments on the Vita. But I guess together with the video files they managed to make the game look pretty good on the handheld.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD