The Art Style and Graphics Discussion

SoftCabbage

He's clearly never seen any of the izunas then

He wouldn't know about any Izunas since he stamped "game to look at boobs only" at DOA's name lol.

There's one Hayate's throw (i think) that I like where he grabbed opponent's head, swing himself to the back, then push the opponent's head down, and make his knee hit the back of the neck. That one got enough impact I guess.

Btw what my friend means by impact is that the fight is so smooth, unlike what you see in MK or typically 2D fighting games that basically every hit is slow and has stopping effects, accompanied by visual effects.

Juihau

Well, I'm just gonna go ahead and bring up what is, in my opinion, one of the best looking handheld series: Shantae. It's one of those things, though, that you have to see in motion. It started on the Gameboy Color and, even back then, it was exceedingly well-animated. It's kept it going up to the 3DS, and now has a proper HD release coming out on consoles, with the lead animator for Skullgirls working on it.
It's just not that often you have a 2D platformer looking that fantastic.

Tyaren

Standard Donor
@Juihau, Shantae looks really cool and cute! :)

Best/most detailed hair in gaming so far? :

19869536129_b768fc5cbd_o.jpg

19869533389_19cd910eef_o.jpg

Only the missing antialiasing is making them look a little like wire, but Square Enix promised, they would fix this for the release of the game.
They said, the maincharacters' hair is made of about 20.000 polygons. Which is as much, as a complete Soul Calibur V character model:

soul_calibur_v___viola_in_presentation_pose_by_iheartibuki-d4xx1zb.png

Crazy, right?

Here's a 360 view of Luna's hair, that boasts probably much more polygons than "just" 20.000:

SkeletalScratchyGermanshepherd.gif

Though these separate hairs look really impressive, I still think, the DOA5 hair looks really good...

16691122273_47f5d29cb0_o.jpg

17459187046_97264b7a31_o.jpg

...even if it is just flat ribbons of textures with a transparency effect and far less graphical advanced.
Speaking of ribbons, do you still remember this hair? XD

i_148738.jpg

Last edited:

Argentus

Kinda a waste of polys honestly. You don't need that much for hair.

Although in that pic I'm more impressed by the floor tiles.

The last time I've seen environment textures that clean and photorealistic was the first Dead Rising in 2006. To this day that game has some of the best texturing I've ever seen. Not so much the sequels though, where all the textures were low res.

Tyaren

Standard Donor
Kinda a waste of polys honestly. You don't need that much for hair.

Yep, most of all, if it ends up looking worse than the old ribbon hair, because they can't get the antialiasing right...

Although in that pic I'm more impressed by the floor tiles.
The last time I've seen environment textures that clean and photorealistic was the first Dead Rising in 2006. To this day that game has some of the best texturing I've ever seen. Not so much the sequels though, where all the textures were low res.

Lol, if you find these tile textures so impressive, what do say about this here:

The Vanishing of Ethan Carter_20150719165543.jpg
The Vanishing of Ethan Carter_20150719171439.jpg
The Vanishing of Ethan Carter_20150719172216.jpg

All shots taken in The Vanishing of Ethan Carter. Especially the rocks on the train tracks are indistiguishable from real life.

Argentus

Yep, most of all, if it ends up looking worse than the old ribbon hair, because they can't get the antialiasing right...

Lol, if you find these tile textures so impressive, what do say about this here:

View attachment 12746 View attachment 12747 View attachment 12748

All shots taken in The Vanishing of Ethan Carter. Especially the rocks on the train tracks are indistiguishable from real life.
Both the hair and environment textures come back my earlier point: less is more.

The Ethan carter textures are amazing yes, but its making smooth clean textures that's really impressive, because its more subtle.

With the rocks and trees its a matter of cramming in enough detail.

But with broad, clean surfaces its balancing a minimum of detail. gotta keep texture resolution high because its a broad surface (this is where dead rising 2 fucked up. Its textures were horrificallu blurry, to the point that the servbot head in 1 is crisp and clear but the same item in 2 is pixely and blurry), and minor texture detail to prevent it looking like just a flat solid color (spec maps, edge detail, etc).

This is a big part if why western games are so fucking UGLY. They jusy wany everyyhibg to be as cluttered with grunge and dirt as possible so they can claim "DETAIL" regardless of if it looks good or not. Like in a modeling class, my instructor worked for SOE. Here's two examples
1) I made a bloody club. The blood I added a specmap to, to make it look like fresh blood still dripping, because liquids reflect light. He told me that doesn't look right, and adjusted the blood with a noise filter too add dirt and grunge while removing the spec lighting. So now the blood looks like pixely oil, but he's happy because that's more detail.

2). I modeled a computer monitor. The modern style where its a polished black flat screen. He said that's not realistic, it needs more detail/noise/grunge, the texture was too bare. I promptly pointed out that I modeled the computer monitor we were both currently staring at, and it was spot on.

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/RealityIsUnrealistic indeed

Chapstick

Animal Crossing New Leaf is incredible, I could post screenshots for DAYS of people's towns. There's a pattern maker to use on walls/floors/outside on the ground or on hats/umbrellas/shirts/dresses. Unfortunately the in game screenshots compress things pretty bad but w/e. Here's one of my screenshots from my town-

tumblr_nkv1lpjFdb1rje51ao1_400.jpg

And from other towns-

tumblr_nndmm2yWpA1u745tho1_400.jpg
tumblr_np6ds7AWpz1rcr0fdo1_400.jpg

tumblr_noeuaatTyC1r9quzlo1_400.jpg
tumblr_noqcm0hznH1uu3g0po1_400.jpg

I got all of the above from http://towntraveler.tumblr.com/

SilverForte

I can't find any high quality footage but the beach of the oni palace is still to this day one of if not the best pre-rendered graphics I have ever seen, and this was on ps2. Just, the water. Yall who played onimusha 2 know what I'm talking about.

2 minutes

Last edited:

Tyaren

Standard Donor
So, we got a first glimpse of the Tekken 7 ladies' bodies.

chloe_summer-png.12768

asuka_summer-png.12769

xiaoyu_summer-png.12770

lili_summer-png.12772

The low polygon count aside, they still look so unattractive. D: The Tekken designers just can't get attractive female bodies right. Well, they imho can't get graphics right in general. For a game of this graphic generation, that will very likely be ported to PS4, it already looks really dated.

Last edited:

Argentus

So, we got a first glimpse of the Tekken 7 ladies' bodies.

chloe_summer-png.12768

asuka_summer-png.12769

xiaoyu_summer-png.12770

lili_summer-png.12772

The low polygon count aside, they still look so unattractive. D: The Tekken designers just can't get attractive female bodies right. Well, they imho can't get graphics right in general. For a game of this graphic generation, that will very likely be ported to PS4, it already looks really dated.
Not to defend Tekken but I dont see what's so unattractive about the bodies. The hair is horrific though. and why is everybody so tan?

Tyaren

Standard Donor
Not to defend Tekken but I dont see what's so unattractive about the bodies. The hair is horrific though. and why is everybody so tan?

Don't you see all these indentations and bulges, where they don't belong? Look at her shoulders and especially her left arm. x__X

chloe_summer-png.12768

Do you see anyting like this here?

DEAD OR ALIVE 5 Last Round_20150227083044.jpg
DEAD OR ALIVE 5 Last Round_20150405050820.jpg
DEAD OR ALIVE 5 Last Round_20150428025900.jpg

Argentus

Don't you see all these indentations and bulges, where they don't belong? Look at her shoulders and especially her left arm. x__X

chloe_summer-png.12768

Do you see anyting like this here?

View attachment 12773View attachment 12774View attachment 12775
Ah I'm on my phone so I can't make out the details.

I'm guessing that they tried to implement muscle definition but failed.

DOA on the other hand, has NO muscle or tone on the ladies, which is just as bad, imo

Tyaren

Standard Donor
Ah I'm on my phone so I can't make out the details.

I'm guessing that they tried to implement muscle definition but failed.

DOA on the other hand, has NO muscle or tone on the ladies, which is just as bad, imo

I don't think, all the bumps and edges are supposed to be muscles, lol...just some...maybe. I think, it's just the deformation/stretching of low polygon models, that seems still very weird and that should long be passé. It is in other games, even in DOA5.
Tekken 7 really doesn't look like a current generation game graphically. :/ I know, I'm saying this a lot... I do, because Tekken 7 was the first 3D fighter of this new generation of graphics...and it really disappointed me. I honestly thought, DOA 6, Tekken 7 and Soul Calibur 6 will look absolutely stunning. (DOA5 and Soul Calibur 5 already look so good in certain aspects!) But Tekken 7 just looks meh and now I am afraid, DOA6 and Soul Calibur 6 will too.

lucky-chloe-tekken7-screenshot.jpg

I can literally count the polygons of her polygon mesh (look at the paws or boobs or pig tails!) and the fur texture of her vest thingy is non existent. The buttons on her paws should be real buttons, not just a pixelated texture.

Not all character models are as bad as her's though. Jin and the new character Josie look good, but not great as they should:

Tekken7-2.jpg

Tekken7-13.jpg

Do you remember the time, when 3D fighters used to be the prettiest games on consoles? It's fairly logical, that they still should be.
- A small, enclosed fighting arena
- just a few but very detailed character models in action
- beautiful animations and fighting styles

If open world games do all this better on an even bigger scale, then something is going absolutely wrong! D:

Last edited:

KasumiLover

xX_APO_Prince_Xx
Premium Donor
I do too like, that their costumes are much more imaginative and interesting and really could come out of Soul Calibur:

2771187-5097772623-26215.jpg

c698a11b3441662e32e74b29c068470c20141007103600.jpg

9VnAl.jpg

tekken-7-kazumi-mashima-concept-artwork.jpg
I actually wouldn't be surprised if Tekken is getting some secret help from the SC team, because one of the designers actually designed Leixa's outfit, and a few others in the 5th game. Hair still needs more work, especially Lili's, and I wouldn't mind if they shaved down the pointy edges on the elbows and other areas, but it should be done in due time.

Argentus

I don't think, all the bumps and edges are supposed to be muscles, lol...just some...maybe. I think, it's just the deformation/stretching of low polygon models, that seems still very weird and that should long be passé. It is in other games, even in DOA5.
Tekken 7 really doesn't look like a current generation game graphically. :/ I know, I'm saying this a lot... I do, because Tekken 7 was the first 3D fighter of this new generation of graphics...and it really disappointed me. I honestly thought, DOA 6, Tekken 7 and Soul Calibur 6 will look absolutely stunning. (DOA5 and Soul Calibur 5 already look so good in certain aspects!) But Tekken 7 just looks meh and now I am afraid, DOA6 and Soul Calibur 6 will too.

lucky-chloe-tekken7-screenshot.jpg

I can literally count the polygons of her polygon mesh (look at the paws or boobs or pig tails!) and the fur texture of her vest thingy is non existent. The buttons on her paws should be real buttons, not just a pixelated texture.

Not all character models are as bad as her's though. Jin and the new character Josie look good, but not great as they should:

Tekken7-2.jpg

Tekken7-13.jpg

Do you remember the time, when 3D fighters used to be the prettiest games on consoles? It's fairly logical, that they still should be.
- A small, enclosed fighting arena
- just a few but very detailed character models in action
- beautiful animations and fighting styles

If open world games do all this better on an even bigger scale, then something is going absolutely wrong! D:
To be fair tekkens always been ugly. Me and friends were looking at models in t6, and noticed thingns like huge texture mapping errors like streaks on Kings feet.

But sadly... I don't think future games will be as pretty as last games as they continue to cut corners. Like doa5 and t7 have horrific textures and models. Scv I actually found to look a little worse than sciv, but that's mostly just aesthetics.

God I wish they would bring back the bonus characters from sciv :( so so much. Most of them are immortal and actually tied to the plot somehow so there's no real excuse

Chisa

lili_summer-png.12772

The low polygon count aside, they still look so unattractive. D: The Tekken designers just can't get attractive female bodies right.

I actually find Lili's body attractive. At least in that picture. Graphically DOA has better bodies but i can't find DOA girls attractive for some reason. But i agree with people that Tekken has better design with clothes. DOA seems pretty plain and simple. But maybe it's our taste.

I'm sucker for colorful games as well. I don't usually like cel-shaded games but Jet Set Radio Future is one of those rare ones which makes my heart melt. I really liked that game.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD