The Art Style and Graphics Discussion

Chapstick

Sure the girls look better (preferred alpha hitomi though, actually looked half German there), but the guys all look terrible compared to previous doas. Well except Eliot who actually looks like a guy now.
*looks at my VF3 video* *looks at this response quoting it*

tumblr_ml9gxp40y91qlgr6qo2_250.gif

Tyaren

Standard Donor
Mila Definitely has the best hair out of any DOA character. Her hair is so different from any other characters in the game mainly colour wise.
Kokoro imho has! Long, thick, flowy, considerably few clipping issues:

masters_of_ba_ji_quan_by_doafanboi-d76lhmr.jpg

you_lost__9_by_doafanboi-d74heqq.jpg

kokoro_and_sakura_by_doafanboi-d6hdze9.jpg

Hm...okay, maybe scratch "thick", but still. XD

Chapstick

Kasumi's ponytail is my favorite

7YQlTZD.png

Kasumi's loose hair looks awful on her but really good on Alpha imo.

Oh and I just remembered Bravely Default, the painted backgrounds look so beautiful and this is one of the few 3DS games I've played that has good 3D.

d0cd8ccfe45dfdb9855530429ab59668.jpg

d490a7bad2217e4396aa8cfb601beb19.jpg

4f6ff4fa_Bravely-Default-Flying-Fairy.jpg
nizvPFK.jpg

bravely-default-background.jpg

bravely-default-nintendo-direct-trailer.jpg

szWMa.jpg

Bravely-Defaulti_41210.jpg

500px-BDFFflowell2.jpg

^the english release of this particular city is even prettier but I can't find a pic of it

Last edited:

Tyaren

Standard Donor

7YQlTZD.png

Lol, that's the worst picture you could take to illustrate how much you like her ponytail! XD I hope, the hair strands in DOA6 or DOAX3 have three times the polygons.

The Bravely Default artworks are absolutely gorgeous. *__* A game, whose environments amazed me very much was Xenoblade Chronicles. Pure art and so huge! Hard to believe, the old Wii hardware could handle this.

Xenoblade-Landscape.jpg

xenoblade-chronicles-3d.jpg

xenoblade_2_033112.jpg

Xenoblade_Chronicles.jpg

2283911-maknaforest.jpg

Sorry, the image quality is atrocious. XD

KasumiLover

xX_APO_Prince_Xx
Premium Donor

7YQlTZD.png

Kasumi's loose hair looks awful on her but really good on Alpha imo.

Oh and I just remembered Bravely Default, the painted backgrounds look so beautiful and this is one of the few 3DS games I've played that has good 3D.

d0cd8ccfe45dfdb9855530429ab59668.jpg

d490a7bad2217e4396aa8cfb601beb19.jpg

4f6ff4fa_Bravely-Default-Flying-Fairy.jpg
nizvPFK.jpg

bravely-default-background.jpg

bravely-default-nintendo-direct-trailer.jpg

szWMa.jpg

Bravely-Defaulti_41210.jpg

500px-BDFFflowell2.jpg

^the english release of this particular city is even prettier but I can't find a pic of it
I agree, Kasumi's ponytail is beautiful...Thick, flowy, and it satisfies my long hair obsession. Loose is disgusting, her braid is ok, and her side ponytail isn't half bad. I think the hair is supposed to really be tied up in order for the hair to be at it's graphical and visual best. Leifang, Nyotengu, Hitomi, and Kokoro however have the best loose hair in the game IMO.

Argentus

Lol, that's the worst picture you could take to illustrate how much you like her ponytail! XD I hope, the hair strands in DOA6 or DOAX3 have three times the polygons.

The Bravely Default artworks are absolutely gorgeous. *__* A game, whose environments amazed me very much was Xenoblade Chronicles. Pure art and so huge! Hard to believe, the old Wii hardware could handle this.

Xenoblade-Landscape.jpg

xenoblade-chronicles-3d.jpg

xenoblade_2_033112.jpg

Xenoblade_Chronicles.jpg

2283911-maknaforest.jpg

Sorry, the image quality is atrocious. XD
Another beautiful game, though in a different way, was One Piece Unlimited Adventure.

Mute for this video, the guy playing talks over it.

Chapstick

I agree, Kasumi's ponytail is beautiful...Thick, flowy, and it satisfies my long hair obsession. Loose is disgusting, her braid is ok, and her side ponytail isn't half bad. I think the hair is supposed to really be tied up in order for the hair to be at it's graphical and visual best. Leifang, Nyotengu, Hitomi, and Kokoro however have the best loose hair in the game IMO.
The two hard looking front pieces stop me from liking Hitomi's loose hair. Personally I like Alpha's, Helena's, Lei's, Nyo's, and Kokoro's. I'd say Rachel's but the hairline is messed up.
Lol, that's the worst picture you could take to illustrate how much you like her ponytail! XD
;)
The Bravely Default artworks are absolutely gorgeous. *__*
They're even better in 3D, the first one with the spiral rocks is incredible. Bravely Default has a deeper 3D than most games I've noticed. If you have a 3DS I highly recommend getting the game, they really knew how to work designs. The jobs have nice outfits for the most part and there's a lot of them

http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/List_of_Bravely_Default_Jobs

Tyaren

Standard Donor
As Vega has just joined the Street Fighter V cast...

sfv-vega-2.png

sfv-vega-14.png

sfv-vega-13.png

...I have to say again, that I really like the redesigns for the characters. Simple yet interesting and iconic. :)
The overall graphic style though...I don't know... :/ The Play-Doh look, the washed out textures, the bland stages and some of the faces...

sfv-vega-1.png

Wasn't Vega supposed to be pretty?
An then Ken...

2902003-7.jpg

Last edited:

Jadeinchains

As Vega has just joined the Street Fighter V cast...

sfv-vega-2.png

sfv-vega-14.png

sfv-vega-13.png

...I have to say again, that I really like the redesigns for the characters. Simple yet interesting and iconic. :)
The overall graphic style though...I don't know... :/ The Play-Doh look, the washed out textures and image quality, the bland stages and some of the faces...

sfv-vega-1.png

Wasn't Vega supposed to be pretty?
An then Ken...

2902003-7.jpg

The art style isn't to my taste but it is definitely better than SF4's art style. That game has to be the most ugly fighting game in existence.
(early fighting games excluded) It was so bad It's what held me back from getting the game. So it is an improvement from that but The muscle definition is still a bit much but I suppose Street Fighter has always had over defined Dragon Ball Z muscles.

Tyaren

Standard Donor
So it is an improvement from that but The muscle definition is still a bit much but I suppose Street Fighter has always had over defined Dragon Ball Z muscles.

Characters looked like gorillas in SF4, yes...but I'd rather have more muscles in a fighting game, then too little:

doa5u_ryu_hayabusa_costume_8_by_zareef-d8h5hc0.jpg

In my fitter times even I have more visible abs than Hayabusa. That can't be right! D: A steeled fighter and super ninja needs more muscle definition than that. I hope, they put a little more care in the guys' character models in DOA6, whenever it comes out.

Jadeinchains

Characters looked like gorillas in SF4, yes...but I'd rather have more muscles in a fighting game, then too little:

In my fitter times even I have more visible abs than Hayabusa. That can't be right! D: A steeled fighter and super ninja needs more muscle definition than that. I hope, they put a little more care in the guys' character models in DOA6, whenever it comes out.
Do the men share the same torso model or at least texture besides Rig's tattoos and Bayman's scar?
Also I agree certain male characters need more muscle definition.

Tyaren

Standard Donor
Do the men share the same torso model or at least texture besides Rig's tattoos and Bayman's scar?
Also I agree certain male characters need more muscle definition.

Just as with the girls, even more so, the men's body models and skin textures actually do differ considerably, apart from the very obvious differences (Bass, Eliot, Genfu, Raidou).

bayman_trunks__request__by_doafanboi-d6rqghr.jpg

Bayman is more compact, square shaped and actually has a little bit of fat indicated.

akira_yuki_trunks__request__by_doafanboi-d6rqgn7.jpg

Akira is much more slimmer, athletic and has more muscle definition.

rig_trunks__request__by_doafanboi-d6rqgf4.jpg

Rig is something in between. He seems to have really thick, meaty arms though. (Which I find weird for a Taekwondo fighter, who should have more muscular legs...)

So, Team Ninja in fact put some effort into the guys...still they graphically look a generation behind the girls. It often doesn't make much sense to me. Why, for example, are Rig's tattoos so pixelated/blurry? He's a brand new character and one of the main characters of DOA5. Could they really not spare a little more resolution on his skin? The graphic engine and memory capacity wouldn't have crashed.
Also, each full body texture consists of two halfs. Actually just one half, that was mirrored. If you look closer, they have the exact same moles or skin blemishes on each side. As a designer/graphic artist I can tell you, that it takes just a few seconds in Photoshop, to alter a mirrored texture slightly, so that you can't see, that it's actually the same. Just a few seconds. They could not even spare these for some reason. I really don't get it. o__O'

Last edited:

Tyaren

Standard Donor
Awesome character models wasted on stiff, jerky animations -_-

I don't know...the animations are alright. They are dynamic, have momentum and that certain "oomph!" Super Smash Brothers is similar in that regard. The animations are kinda limited too and not as fluid as a 3D fighter, still the game looks awesome and the animations do fit the detailed 3D models well.

Argentus

To be fair, any more "defined" than that actually starts veering into being unhealthy. The body he has there is about right for simply being athletically active like ryu is.

I don't know...the animations are alright. They are dynamic, have momentum and that certain "oomph!" Super Smash Brothers is similar in that regard. The animations are kinda limited too and not as fluid as a 3D fighter, still the game looks awesome and the animations do fit the detailed 3D models well.
I dunno it just drives me nuts that both characters pause for a second every time someone lands a hit. Makes things look choppy

Tyaren

Standard Donor
We talked at the beginning of this thread about it @Argentus and I just found a screen of the very first view, the player has of the world of Oblivion, when coming out of the sewers:

oblivion-first-view1.jpg

Wow, this looks so bad today. XD And once it was an absolutely breathtaking sight... Now, as a comparison, Ethan Carter pics, which Argentus thought, looked graphically the same:

20108803150_f4f97585ed_o.jpg

19674196194_69b3756e55_o.jpg

20302806111_30c2a900aa_o.jpg

Last edited:

Argentus

We talked at the beginning of this thread about it @Argentus and I just found a screen of the very first view, the player has of the world of Oblivion, when coming out of the sewers:

oblivion-first-view1.jpg

Wow, this looks so bad today. XD And once it was an absolutely breathtaking sight... Now, as a comparison, Ethan Carter pics, which Argentus thought, looked graphically the same:

20108803150_f4f97585ed_o.jpg

19674196194_69b3756e55_o.jpg

20302806111_30c2a900aa_o.jpg
I meant the same thematically lol. A decades difference in graphics there, lol

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD