The Art Style and Graphics Discussion

Tyaren

Standard Donor
I thought, this post does fit in here very well too:

On closer inspection the stage does look indeed different, from the general layout to the objects placed on the beach.

augusut-pack-copy-jpg.12795

There are much more palm trees and some of them are weirdly bent (like in DOA3), which gives the stage a more picturesque look. Exactly what I was missing in the current Zack's Island stage. It looks so normal and kinda boring:

latest

But it does still not come close to the artistic ingenuity, that was DOA3's beach at sunset. Just magical, with the bent trees, the misty rock formations in the distance and the flock of seagulls circling the sky:

DeadorAlive3_594_1024.jpg

Artistic vision can indeed triumph over raw graphical power.

Argentus

I thought, this post does fit in here very well too:

On closer inspection the stage does look indeed different, from the general layout to the objects placed on the beach.

augusut-pack-copy-jpg.12795

There are much more palm trees and some of them are weirdly bent (like in DOA3), which gives the stage a more picturesque look. Exactly what I was missing in the current Zack's Island stage. It looks so normal and kinda boring:

latest

But it does still not come close to the artistic ingenuity, that was DOA3's beach at sunset. Just magical, with the bent trees, the misty rock formations in the distance and the flock of seagulls circling the sky:

DeadorAlive3_594_1024.jpg

Artistic vision can indeed triumph over raw graphical power.
I'm thinking it may actually be a pier/boardwalk stage

Tyaren

Standard Donor
I wish, I wasn't the only one always trying to promote a discussion in here... ^__^'
Anyway, I wanted to post this in the DLC thread... but it probably belongs more in here:

Didn't we come a long way regarding the breast physics?

ibzZCBHUquXvvN.gif

Apart from the very weird jell-o jiggle, wasn't it weird, that the girls' breasts were kinda square shaped...?

DOA-Kasumi-dead-or-alive-xtreme-2-30793187-640-360.png

600full-dead-or-alive%3A-xtreme-2-artwork.jpg

Didn't we come a long way? :)

Argentus

I wish, I wasn't the only one always trying to promote a discussion in here... ^__^'
Anyway, I wanted to post this in the DLC thread... but it probably belongs more in here:

ibzZCBHUquXvvN.gif

Apart from the very weird jell-o jiggle, wasn't it weird, that the girls' breasts were kinda square shaped...?

I'll be honest, I'm looking more at the hair and faces. Which look creepy in that Tina gif lol

Jadeinchains

ibzZCBHUquXvvN.gif

Looking back to When they were anime is so strange thank god they decided to make them photo realistic.

KasumiLover

xX_APO_Prince_Xx
Premium Donor
Looking back to When they were anime is so strange thank god they decided to make them photo realistic.
Yes, they look way better now than ever. I don't understand how shortening and thinning the girl's long hair was more realistic, but overall the changes are wonderful. I've also noticed that the girl's bodies hardly had any detail back then compared to now

Jadeinchains

Yes, they look way better now than ever. I don't understand how shortening and thinning the girl's long hair was more realistic, but overall the changes are wonderful. I've also noticed that the girl's bodies hardly had any detail back then compared to now
Lol you got me there the hair in 5 isn't that great. For doa6 that should be one of the things they try the most to fix. That and the awful ground textures.

Argentus

I was thinking about this recently, was VF3 the first game to have multiple hair strands?

lmao @ 1:53 that jump
Sure the girls look better (preferred alpha hitomi though, actually looked half German there), but the guys all look terrible compared to previous doas. Well except Eliot who actually looks like a guy now.

KasumiLover

xX_APO_Prince_Xx
Premium Donor
Lol you got me there the hair in 5 isn't that great. For doa6 that should be one of the things they try the most to fix. That and the awful ground textures.
I wasn't saying that to contradict your statement. What I really meant was that TN decided to do this in an effort to make the hair more realistic, but it kinda looks half finished to me. Other than the hair, everything about the character models are pretty spot on.:)

Argentus

I wasn't saying that to contradict your statement. What I really meant was that TN decided to do this in an effort to make the hair more realistic, but it kinda looks half finished to me. Other than the hair, everything about the character models are pretty spot on.:)
Not a fan of the huge bags under the eyes though. Is a universal lack of sleep that realistic?

They did however do an amazing job with short hairstyles like Christie, Lisa, mila, ayane, etc. Especially Milas, which is layered and feathery. Looks awesome in motion.

KasumiLover

xX_APO_Prince_Xx
Premium Donor
Not a fan of the huge bags under the eyes though. Is a universal lack of sleep that realistic?

They did however do an amazing job with short hairstyles like Christie, Lisa, mila, ayane, etc. Especially Milas, which is layered and feathery. Looks awesome in motion.
Mila's hair is one of the best animated and presented in my opinion. the layers move and lift at just the right moments, and it's very convincing and life like.

Tyaren

Standard Donor
(preferred alpha hitomi though, actually looked half German there)

Duuude... are you saying Germans look like monkeys? D:

Reminds me of this story:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencet...recognition-software-mislabelled-picture.html

Regarding the style change:
46a163caedf46470633df365a0620ee4-d6fry0p.jpg

Truth be told, I did not buy DOA5 in it's release year, because I thought, they ruined my beloved series' anime-art style, which also led me to believe, that the fighting wasn't as fast and anime-like anymore. Now, several years later, I am really glad, that they went away from these now creepy looking anime dolls, that DOA4 and DOAX2 were. DOA 3 and DOA2U still good to me though. It must be the perfectly modeled characters and their shinyness in combination with the almost photorealistic environments of DOA4 and DOAX2, that throw me off. It's not that easy to pinpoint. DOA 5's character models are still stylized and not truly photorealistic by the way. That's why they thankfully avoid the infamous "uncanny valley": https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uncanny_valley

Last edited:

Argentus

Mila's hair is one of the best animated and presented in my opinion. the layers move and lift at just the right moments, and it's very convincing and life like.
Yeah and I'm not saying it because I main her, its actually part of what drew me to her. I would argue that Milas hair is probably the best in the series, as far as detail goes.

Duuude... are you saying Germans look like monkeys? D:

Reminds me of this story:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencet...recognition-software-mislabelled-picture.html

Regarding the style change:
46a163caedf46470633df365a0620ee4-d6fry0p.jpg

Truth be told, I did not buy DOA5 in it's release year, because I thought, they ruined my beloved series' anime-art style, which also led me to believe, that the fighting wasn't as fast and anime-like anymore. Now, several years later, I am really glad, that they went away from these now creepy looking anime dolls, that DOA4 and DOAX2 were. DOA 3 and DOA2U still good to me though. It must be the perfectly modeled characters and their shinyness in combination with the almost photorealistic environments of DOA4 and DOAX2, that throw me off. It's not that easy to pinpoint. DOA 5's character models are still stylized and not truly photorealistic by the way. ;)
Didn't look like a monkey to me.

Yeah ears were a little too outturned, but I'm talking the general facial structure with the longer face and more prominent nose. It showed the European part of her heritage as opposed to before and after the 5alpha, where she looks exactly the same as the Asians, with no German heritage visible.

Ayane and Tina there wouldn't look out of place scaring you at Five Night's at Freddie's lol.

But I do wish that they'd brighten the eyes of the girls in doa5, so you could actually see their eye colors like the old models.

Also that recogntion software stuff is funny. That's not an error, the way the girl is bloating her face up does look like a gorilla lol.

Tyaren

Standard Donor
eah ears were a little too outturned, but I'm talking the general facial structure with the longer face and more prominent nose. It showed the European part of her heritage as opposed to before and after the 5alpha, where she looks exactly the same as the Asians, with no German heritage visible.

I never thought, she looked like the other asians in DOA5... I even was really mad at Team Ninja, for making Hitomi the least prettiest. Hitomi was, well, actually still is my favorite girl after all. ;)

By the way...Is this DOA6?

dead-or-alive-4-20050916070009900.jpg

dead-or-alive-4-20050916070002791.jpg

6872.jpg

No, it's just the ten year old DOA4 on Xbox360. WTF happened?! o __ O'''

KasumiLover

xX_APO_Prince_Xx
Premium Donor
I never thought, she looked like the other asians in DOA5... I even was really mad at Team Ninja, for making Hitomi the least prettiest. Hitomi was, well, actually still is my favorite girl after all. ;)

6872.jpg

I guess Itagaki put more detail into the stages than the characters. Hayashi did the opposite. If they made minor improvements to the DOA4 stages, they could actually import the entire thing into DOA5

Jadeinchains

Mila Definitely has the best hair out of any DOA character. Her hair is so different from any other characters in the game mainly colour wise.

Argentus

6872.jpg

They thought they could cut corners on doa5 with the stages and thought we wouldnt notice for some reason.

As for hitomi all I'm saying is she definitely looked mpre Germanic in the alpha.

Tyaren

Standard Donor
I guess Itagaki put more detail into the stages than the characters.

It's not just that... The old stages are artistic marvels... The new stages are artistically just okay...add bad textures to that and you have the really subpar stages of today. :/ I wonder, if the old stage artists left with Itagaki. Devil's Third:

screenshot4.1403620954.jpg

SilverForte

I wouldnt be surprised, sky city tokyo which is based on resources from when itagaki was still around is one of the better looking stages.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD