The DOA5LR Mila General Discussion Thread

Something-Unique

Past this point I'm lost, because I have a hard time translating frame data lol.

In a nutshell +frames is good and -frames is bad. The more +frames you have the better. But to many -frames and things get real bad.

When you attack that move comes out in a certain amount of frames. The lower the number the better.

For example i9 moves are better than i10 moves (i before the number means impact and the number after the i refers to how many frames it takes to impact).

So if both characters have a i10 jab (P) the one who is at +1 or more will impact faster or win out in the strike battle because the i10 jab for the one who is at +1 becomes an i9 jab temporarily or i8 if its +2, i7 if its +3 and so on.

Every time your at +frames you are at an advantage. Which is why the nerf to 2P is bad because before if you did it Mila had +2 advantage on NH but now she's at -2 on NH so your giving your opponent the advantage.

Think of it like money if you have more you can do buy more things than me. You have the advantage. You can buy that care but I can't. In fighters you can strike first but I can't.

Argentus

In a nutshell +frames is good and -frames is bad. The more +frames you have the better. But to many -frames and things get real bad.

When you attack that move comes out in a certain amount of frames. The lower the number the better.

For example i9 moves are better than i10 moves (i before the number means impact and the number after the i refers to how many frames it takes to impact).

So if both characters have a i10 jab (P) the one who is at +1 or more will impact faster or win out in the strike battle because the i10 jab for the one who is at +1 becomes an i9 jab temporarily or i8 if its +2, i7 if its +3 and so on.

Every time your at +frames you are at an advantage. Which is why the nerf to 2P is bad because before if you did it Mila had +2 advantage on NH but now she's at -2 on NH so your giving your opponent the advantage.

Think of it like money if you have more you can do buy more things than me. You have the advantage. You can buy that care but I can't. In fighters you can strike first but I can't.

nahnah, I get the gist of it, I just have to really slow down when reading it lol. Like learning a new language.

Although I did not know that about the "i". Thanks for that.

But I don't think the 2p nerf is as bad as you are making it out to be, though. I mean, yeah, it screws up your usual setups, but its not like it suddenly stops being a fast low punch. Same with 1p, its still a sweeping low punch.

All in all, it just sounds like the usual "adjust accordingly" tweaks that only really screw up really specific setups. Its just causing a ripple effect with your strategies. Like I understand you are saying that this allows guaranteed combo to mount instead of "guessing", but...honestly, since she mounts off everything from strings to knockdown to holds to grabs to feints to sidesteps in the first place, that much of a guaranteed offense seems like overkill anyway lol. At least that's how I see it. She just still has SO MUCH damage potential, that losing her setups you mention due to the 1p adjustment, seems trivial. She's not losing any advantage, just losing overkill lol.

Though, again, I suppose this is because I'm looking at it from the mindset of a NON rushdown Mila.

Apologies if my responses anger you, its not my intent. Just kinda playing devil's advocate for the nerfs.

By the way, can I vs you on PSN sometime? you'll absolutely slaughter me, but I wanna see if there's anything I can pick up from facing you.

Actually.....wait. I take it all back. I want to play you, and learn. I was watching the vids you posted, and it got me thinking. Back when I was playing Vanilla on 360, I got versed enough to freely switch between full striking and full grappling. Switched to PSN, and I've dulled quite a bit, relying SOLELY on grappling. I'm watching your vids and getting a sense for striking again. I'm still not a big user of (or fan of) guaranteed blender combos like you are, but I'm still picking up on certain things that I think would be good for my approach to Mila.

What I REALLY wish they'd change is giving 33P a different input, so it doesn't keep accidentally coming out instead, when I'm trying to do 3PP.

Something-Unique

Its fine and no your not angering me lol. Everyone has a right to there own opinion and sure I wouldn't mind playing. Will only be on PS4's PSN though.

A good training method to get better with Mila imo is don't use mount at all. I use to do this ever so randomly. I did the same thing without here OS's as well. When you can compete without either you'll be surprised at how much it helps your overall game.

For 33P coming out instead of 3P just don't hold the input. Tap 3P. Don't hold it and problem solved.

Argentus

Its fine and no your not angering me lol. Everyone has a right to there own opinion and sure I wouldn't mind playing. Will only be on PS4's PSN though.

A good training method to get better with Mila imo is don't use mount at all. I use to do this ever so randomly. I did the same thing without here OS's as well. When you can compete without either you'll be surprised at how much it helps your overall game.

For 33P coming out instead of 3P just don't hold the input. Tap 3P. Don't hold it and problem solved.
Yeah thats what I used to do (Play without Mount at all) but nowadays I've gotten so reliant on it, due to a combination of striking being unreliable online (Which is the only way I can play), and laziness when dealing with people who aren't fun to play (a LOT of PSN players lol)

33P....I figured, but when I'm trying to do 3pp, its when I'm trying to break pressure, so I'm panicking and holding 3 while mashing P, its a hard habit to break lol.

SilverForte

Great info in this page Something unique. Only thing I'm wondering is how did you get the timing of your option selects? I notice you're ending your combos with like jabs for instance before going for the 2T, did this just come through experimentation?

Something-Unique

For me it was the combos with automatic results that helped me figure it out. Instantly in fact. It was just a process really. If "A" does this then why and "B" it probably means you can do it this way too. Jabs have nothing to do with it. Frames being manipulated, recovery frames, and game code is the reason behind why it works. The rest just comes down to timing.

I'll explain it in the Mila guide sometime after LR drops and since the PS4 can record on its own I might even be able to do an in depth video for Mila myself.

Its been a while since I played. Over 3 months to be exact but at least now you guys know at least one new thing that you can bring to a tier argument.

Mila eliminates wakeup kicks 100% and at actual "true +frames". As far as I can remember no other character in the game can do this except for ground throw grapplers but again for the rest outside of the wall its relatively useless. You can also argue that her wall game is one of if not the best in the game.

The rest such as her combo listings/damage, stun game, and what not I'll list in the guide.

Argentus

For me it was the combos with automatic results that helped me figure it out. Instantly in fact. It was just a process really. If "A" does this then why and "B" it probably means you can do it this way too. Jabs have nothing to do with it. Frames being manipulated, recovery frames, and game code is the reason behind why it works. The rest just comes down to timing.

I'll explain it in the Mila guide sometime after LR drops and since the PS4 can record on its own I might even be able to do an in depth video for Mila myself.

Its been a while since I played. Over 3 months to be exact but at least now you guys know at least one new thing that you can bring to a tier argument.

Mila eliminates wakeup kicks 100% and at actual "true +frames". As far as I can remember no other character in the game can do this except for ground throw grapplers but again for the rest outside of the wall its relatively useless. You can also argue that her wall game is one of if not the best in the game.

The rest such as her combo listings/damage, stun game, and what not I'll list in the guide.

gaaaaah making me wish I could afford a ps4.

Something-Unique

So I picked up the game early and Mila is the same character but with nerfs.

1P/TD~2P as we already blatantly knew was nerfed from +2 to -2. Actually feels quite awkward for the time being tbh.

4K~ cancels are exactly the same as they were before. The only difference is that you can cancel the exact same way you used to before but with P, K, P+K, or H instead of just H now.

So its like 4KTH~P, 4KTP~P, 4KTK~P, 4KTP+K~P for example. All inputs simply function as what H used to be and still is. No timing changes or anything.

2T as we also already knew had received a nerf from 30 to 15 damage.

So here's the kicker which I think is also a nerf. 4K has been changed to the exact same light stun as 4H+K and 7K on NH now. So its +6 no slow escape just like 4H+K with the same push back.

So here's the nerf imo. When you go from 4K into the T a.k.a 4KT unlike before where the throw would connect on NH in Last Round the push back from 4K makes the T whiff leaving her at negative and possibly even punished on NH now which is stupid.

In retrospect what's even more stupid is that compared to Mila's first inception in Vanilla she had 7K, 4H+K, and 4K which all did different things. Now in LR all three of them do the exact same fucking thing. Three mid kicks all with the exact same property. Like wtf I'm sitting here just laughing at the concept behind it. They all do the exact same f'in thing now and 4KT on NH causes the throw to whiff.

Its an overall nerf imo and that makes three in one patch.

Argentus

So I picked up the game early and Mila is the same character but with nerfs.

1P/TD~2P as we already blatantly knew was nerfed from +2 to -2. Actually feels quite awkward for the time being tbh.

4K~ cancels are exactly the same as they were before. The only difference is that you can cancel the exact same way you used to before but with P, K, P+K, or H instead of just H now.

So its like 4KTH~P, 4KTP~P, 4KTK~P, 4KTP+K~P for example. All inputs simply function as what H used to be and still is. No timing changes or anything.

2T as we also already knew had received a nerf from 30 to 15 damage.

So here's the kicker which I think is also a nerf. 4K has been changed to the exact same light stun as 4H+K and 7K on NH now. So its +6 no slow escape just like 4H+K with the same push back.

So here's the nerf imo. When you go from 4K into the T a.k.a 4KT unlike before where the throw would connect on NH in Last Round the push back from 4K makes the T whiff leaving her at negative and possibly even punished on NH now which is stupid.

In retrospect what's even more stupid is that compared to Mila's first inception in Vanilla she had 7K, 4H+K, and 4K which all did different things. Now in LR all three of them do the exact same fucking thing. Three mid kicks all with the exact same property. Like wtf I'm sitting here just laughing at the concept behind it. They all do the exact same f'in thing now and 4KT on NH causes the throw to whiff.

Its an overall nerf imo and that makes three in one patch.

I'm sure we can find good purposes for her various mid kicks, after all, they all still ARE different types of kicks. A quick, close range pushback kick, a long reaching poke, and a charged guard break. They don't all have the same properties just because of this change. Paying TOO MUCH attention to the numbers, in this case. Take your time being angry at changes, but then go back at it and find ways to apply the adjusted moves :)

Most of the changes don't affect her too much, and at least on paper, are understandable. On the 4k, it sounds like they adjusted it so doing takedown from it is meant more for catching opponents trying to Hold, rather than just blocking, which is fine, albeit slightly annoying. I'm just curious what their mentality was there, because its obvious they were trying to go for something particular, its just hard to see what.

But whats irritating me, is the whole "all face buttons cause feint now". What the hell, I was hoping it'd be more like "Pressing punch automatically does feint to punch, minimizing inputs required" or "skips feint entirely to go straight to punch from mount animation". But just "all buttons feint" means that you just go "pp" to feint punch. I understand its to make things easier, but they seriously missed some opportunity to give her more mixup, there.

Bottom line: It's all about perspective. I'll be checking it out myself on the 17th.

Apologies if I misunderstood anything you said.

rximmortal

Honestly I am tired of morons making stupid decisions.
From all nerfs since vanilla they make this:
They nerf all her Low hits - now she have 0 Low hit game.
Now they nerf her Throw game.
So what she has now is her striking game and OS to the ground.
Her striking game is really bad comapared to half of DOA's cast.
I know. Everyone can just say Bro just adapt. No thanks I am tired of adapting. Adapting makes you better in the game and improve your skills for sure, but when you lose to a players which even do not know what OS is, because they nerf your character again and again and again, till the moment you have only 2-3 good moves , compared to at least 10 of the opponent side.
Otherwords - see you on MK X - stage.

Argentus

Honestly I am tired of morons making stupid decisions.
From all nerfs since vanilla they make this:
They nerf all her Low hits - now she have 0 Low hit game.
Now they nerf her Throw game.
So what she has now is her striking game and OS to the ground.
Her striking game is really bad comapared to half of DOA's cast.
I know. Everyone can just say Bro just adapt. No thanks I am tired of adapting. Adapting makes you better in the game and improve your skills for sure, but when you lose to a players which even do not know what OS is, because they nerf your character again and again and again, till the moment you have only 2-3 good moves , compared to at least 10 of the opponent side.
Otherwords - see you on MK X - stage.
.....still not seeing this is a nerf. Just overall adjustments.

Especially not her throw game. Lowering damage from one of her fastest throws doesn't change anything, because you aren't using that one for its damage anyway, but for its speed and stun. Its just a quick knee to the face. On her 4kt being tweaked, its borderline inconsequential due to the sheer options she has, both from other ways to mount, as well as the fact that even from that, she can still feint instead of mounting, which is now even easier, or still grab them with it.

The tweaks to the strikes, again, all they did was make hits make more sense. 1p losing advantage is fine, because its a slow sweeping move anyway. Made little to no sense for it to be used like 2p in the first place. The kick being adjusted is one meant for pushing people back. Hell, doubletap it and they are knocked back and down.

I mean, I can see why they would make the changes they did, with a few exceptions. Just gotta take a step back and lookit the overall picture for a moment.

But on "adapting"...I understand nobody likes changes, but the whole point of Mila is her versatility, so with her ESPECIALLY, "adapting" is the word of the day lol.

I wanna see how she handles on the 17th, to see if I'm right or wrong on this (Shame on on ps3 lol).

But with any patch, there's the initial "changed so everythings ruined" followed by "Found new setups with the tweaks" lol. Just gotta deal with phase 1 till we get to phase 2.

Hurricane Rev

Shouldn't we just wait for the game to come out before complaining about the changes? The game is coming out in a few days now and the changes that you are reading may not seem that bad when you test it out once the game is officially out.

I'm really enjoying the trial version of the game so far and I'm really looking forward to getting my hands on Mila :)

Argentus

Shouldn't we just wait for the game to come out before complaining about the changes? The game is coming out in a few days now and the changes that you are reading may not seem that bad when you test it out once the game is officially out.

I'm really enjoying the trial version of the game so far and I'm really looking forward to getting my hands on Mila :)

They are testing them out.

They got early access due to stores selling early and that xbox issue where you can gameshare.

But what I'm getting out of all this is the minor tweaks are causing ripples in peoples combos, which again, isn't a nerf. Just a tweak. The only one I can see to complain about is the 4kT change. And that's only because I can't test it myself yet.

Hurricane Rev

They are testing them out.

They got early access due to stores selling early and that xbox issue where you can gameshare.

But what I'm getting out of all this is the minor tweaks are causing ripples in peoples combos, which again, isn't a nerf. Just a tweak. The only one I can see to complain about is the 4kT change. And that's only because I can't test it myself yet.

Ohh ok. Well I hope it won't be long until I can try her out myself and I do agree with you about the change not being a nerf and it really isn't a big deal. I can't really say too much about her until I get the game but I know that she is still a good character.

Something-Unique

Not to offend but sometimes I feel as though explaining things in DOA to other players are done in vain. Like i'll say something like this tech is not a FT in my first couple sentences only for people to later say its not a FT despite saying that in the very first three sentences. This happened a page apart in here. Then for another example I'll say so I got the game early and tested some things only for someone to say shouldn't we wait for the game to come out like 3 posts later.

I dunno if its because of a language barrier or what not but its weird. Explaining OS time and time again over time and what they do, how they are done, and why you would use them had the same effect. Honestly it makes me wonder if putting the time and work into the Mila guide would even work as people would still be lost in limbo despite the thorough explanations.

I dunno what else to do as I've honestly tried to share tech and information just like any other fighter I've played but with this one even the most basic technical explanations just seem to fly over peoples heads. Best of luck to you guys. May the Mila family remain strong.

Jefffcore

I wasn't getting it at first, but I got it now. You also were saying option select, which was slightly confusing. I was assuming that because you called it that, it must At least hit them on the ground before they could wake up kick. Skimmed a lot of it, so I missed things. Was a lot to read.

I only used the ground throw OS on low heights and the before. I didn't like the ground throw killing my momentum, so I stuck with 3h+k. I'm thinking now that, that was a bad idea. 3h+k is safer, but I don't like the reward from it.

One question: I think I read that TDC, p+k was unholdable? Or was that something else? I screwed around and I didn't find a way to time it to make it unholdable for anything. After 2p you need something on the 36th frame, if you just leave it at 3pp it was on the 53rd or 54th frame. A raw TDC, p+k hits on the 31st? I think. 7pk is unholdable if they tech after 2p though.

Too many strings to add up.

Last edited:

Hurricane Rev

Not to offend but sometimes I feel as though explaining things in DOA to other players are done in vain. Like i'll say something like this tech is not a FT in my first couple sentences only for people to later say its not a FT despite saying that in the very first three sentences. This happened a page apart in here. Then for another example I'll say so I got the game early and tested some things only for someone to say shouldn't we wait for the game to come out like 3 posts later.

I dunno if its because of a language barrier or what not but its weird. Explaining OS time and time again over time and what they do, how they are done, and why you would use them had the same effect. Honestly it makes me wonder if putting the time and work into the Mila guide would even work as people would still be lost in limbo despite the thorough explanations.

I dunno what else to do as I've honestly tried to share tech and information just like any other fighter I've played but with this one even the most basic technical explanations just seem to fly over peoples heads. Best of luck to you guys. May the Mila family remain strong.

I'm Sorry But Why do I have the feeling that this post was aimed at me? I wasn't replying to your post. I was just replying back to rximmortal post. I'm sorry if It made it seem like I was ignoring all your information. That really wasn't my intentions and I haven't really been keeping up to date with this thread.

I usually read your information on Mila and I really do appreciate the stuffs that you shared with us. It helps me to improve my Mila and think about new stuffs that I can do with her. However, I think we need to give it more time to get used to the new changes before jumping the gun. Sure, you got the game early and you've tested out Mila before us and sharing some stuffs on here but I believe there are still more stuffs to discover about her in the game and to find some new tech with her. It doesn't take a short period of time to know everything about a character or the game. It usually takes a long time.

Now talking about the changes, It does suck that 4K has the same property like 4K+H and 7K. There may not be any use for that move anymore but we've still got 3K though or isn't that good enough in Last Round? Also, I wouldn't say 7K has been nerfed. In fact, I believe 7K is one of Mila's best tools. While someone is in stun, you can do something like 7K into grab because your opponent wouldn't expect that. I've been doing that so many times in Ultimate and it works soo Well! So who knows, there might be some use for 4K even though its been nerf. Only time will tell.

And Lastly, Instead of going "Oh, he didn't see the information that I put up about Mila. Therefore, I Wasted my time doing this. Its time for me to leave", Why can't you just say, "Oh Rev, I'm not sure if you seen it or not but I wrote some stuffs about mila in Last Round. I've got the game early". That would have been nicer than jumping to conclusion.

Argentus

Dunno if that's aimed at me as well, but I'm just gonna assume it is for now. Apologies if you feel that way, i'm trying my best to understand your posts, and I feel like I'm getting it for the most part.
Again, apologies if you feel offended at my responses to Mila's "nerf".

rximmortal

The problem has nothing to do with 4KT or the damage nerf.
The problem is why they even nerf a character which is in the middle of the tier list.
Mila never ever won a tournament. Not more than 5% of the players playing her.....
If that is TeamNinja's way to balance a game like making low rate used character , even less useable , than I
feel sad for them.

Argentus

The problem has nothing to do with 4KT or the damage nerf.
The problem is why they even nerf a character which is in the middle of the tier list.
Mila never ever won a tournament. Not more than 5% of the players playing her.....
If that is TeamNinja's way to balance a game like making low rate used character , even less useable , than I
feel sad for them.

But I'm still not seeing it as a nerf. Just all around general adjustments.

Like i'm waiting to try the 4kT, because the only way I'll see that as a "nerf" is if you now can't mount at ALL off 4k, like Something Unique was making it sound like. Because then that wouldn't just be a frame data adjustment that's causing ripples with people's data reliant strategies, as most changes are, but it would be an actual oversight resulting in a move being completely unusable.

Again, i'm going by simply looking at werewolfgold's translation, but at least on paper, the changes aren't an issue.

:mila: Mila
1P, Tackle cancel 2P: Advantage on normal hit changed from +2F to -2F.

4K: Changed to short critical effect on normal hit.

1P+K: Changed to crouching status from the first frame.

Tackle cancel derivations (such as 4KTH · P): Fixed so that P, K, or P+K buttons can cause a cancel and not just H.

2T: Damage changed from 30 to 15.

So Tackle cancel 2p now has less advantage.I'll be honest, I don't really see the POINT of that one, but its not a gamechanger or anything. 1p is a slow sweep anyway, so less advantage is understandable, its not supposed to be used like a regular 2p.

4k: Fine, its the weakest of her mid kicks, anyway. Seems like a general balance adjustment.
1p+K: That's a buff, since the entire point of it is to be a DUCKING mid.
Tackle cancel: I guess that's a buff? It makes it so you can press PP to feint punch, rather than HP, I think. It is kinda hard for a lot of people who aren't used to the coordination requirements. its like trying to get your pinky on that last button when you switch Guitar Hero to hard mode, it changes everything lol. Anyways, the change makes mixup from feint easier due to simplified input.
2t: If I recall, throw damage is lowered across the board, not just on Mila. And in this particular case, its also one of her "lighter" throws, not really meant for the damage in the first place (If you were wanting to throw for damage, you would have done 3p.)

Its not that I'm outright defending the changes (Can't really understand the 4k or 2p changes, but I can give the benefit of the doubt on them), just pointing out that the balance tweaks are nowhere NEAR as bad as people tend to make them out to be, and I certainly can't call anything a "nerf" yet.

Patch is out, tried her. On a fundamental level, her moves are exactly the same. Doesn't affect me at all, since I don't really utilize those deathcombos all that much lol

On the "anything causes feint", in practice, what this means is that instead of "Hold, then what move you want", instead now you just press the move you want, while Hold is reserved for just canceling mount entirely, with no followup.

Last edited:
ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD