The DOA5LR Mila General Discussion Thread

Hurricane Rev

My top 10 Mila moves are the following.....

1P+K - It goes under high attacks and leaves the opponent in deep stun

4H+K - It is a good range move for keeping your distance from your opponent

9P - Its a great move for approaching your opponent with and its safe on block

7K - (with or without fully charging it) - This is my personal favourite move to use. You can either do the normal 7K which "somewhat" resets the opponent while they are in stun and you could possibly throw them because they wouldn't expect that. Or you can fully charge the 7K for the opponent to be in a Sit-Down stun. If you use this move while someone is in stun and they counter the wrong input, then you will get a Guaranteed Critical Burst.

7P - This is a great move to use while someone is in stun. The stun will make the opponent to fall on the floor unless they counter it. There are quite a few options that you can go for after this move :)

6T - a great throw move to use which you can get a guaranteed standing kick after the throw.

8K - This move is really good for launching your opponents with.

P+K (During Tackle Cancel) - This is a good move to use to leave your opponents in a stun that will put them on the floor, unless they counter out of it. You can almost go for anything after this move.

PP1KP - This is a great move to use for tricking your opponents with. Although, don't use it too much because they will start to know when you will do that move

6P+K - This move is a good range move and it can lead into some really good stuffs. For example...

6P+K > (If the person counter wrong) 7K > 6P+K (This is where you can get the guaranteed critical burst from ;) )

And that's pretty much my top 10 moves with Mila.

Fergus

Thank you guys for the replies, it helped a lot. I'm coming from a TTT2 background so I can get a good grip on the frames, stepping and creating space to whiff punish etc. Just need to get my head around the stun game.

What moves are you guys using to whiff punish with Mila?

Hurricane Rev

Thank you guys for the replies, it helped a lot. I'm coming from a TTT2 background so I can get a good grip on the frames, stepping and creating space to whiff punish etc. Just need to get my head around the stun game.

I normally use 6P+K and 1P+K to punish the opponents who whiff attacks. Like I mentioned before, 6P+K is a good long range move that leaves the opponent in stun. Same thing for 1P+K but it has got less range than 6P+K.

GreatDarkHero

This is frame advantage
Premium Donor

For whiff punishment, keep P+K, 66K, 1P+K/6P+K (the reason why @Hurricane Rev mentioned both of them is because 1P+K crushes highs, stuns on hit and causes her to move forward. 6P+K is a Power Blow but use it in moderation. 66P is also decent whiff punisher but it is a high. You can also use 66TH~P = It is the same animation as 1P+K but it comes at 9 frames and it still causes stun.

I am also going to provide with some insight I provided on SRK:
Mila is one of the few characters that do not need to play the stun game as much. Mila can get a lot of guaranteed damage from her TD series. A lot of players tend to look at Mila as if she is the "Makoto" (SFIV) or the "Takuma" (KOF) of this game (with other characters such as Leon and recently Phase-4 fitting into such a category. Much like Makoto and Takuma of their respective fighting game series, Mila has high damage output but requires the player to actually understand a great deal about the game mechanics/meta-game in itself).
P+K is a decent whiff punisher that causes the sit down stun in which the player can hold from for a period of time. The reason why Mila does not have to resort to the stun game as much (though it usually leads to 40%~60% life combos if she does depending on the players end game... which is also why it is still a great idea to have a good grasp on "DOA" fundamentals).
Mila can also poke around with 4K which can transition to her TD mix ups or the TD itself if the opponent is just blocking while standing. Mila also has 4K+H which has good range and stop the momentum of the opponent from a 1~2 character width distance should they choose to attack at some point at the mid range.
6T is a throw that will provide Mila with a guaranteed K (you can choose to input KP but that would require discretion due to the fact that the P is holdable). If the opponent keeps trying to hold you, you loop 6T K... then you can make a read into a mix up that which may lead into a potentially high damaging combo.
Go to moves for setting up the stun are:
4PK
4PP (You can choose to follow through for TD or the mix ups that follow after TD)
7PP (go into TD/TD follow ups/mix ups)
1P+K (This is a mid that causes stun on NH and crushes highs)
P+K
CH 6P
(Then there are options on CH that you need to consider)
Other moves to note are Mila's 1P, 2P, 1P+K, 2K+H. These go underneath a lot of stuff but make sure you time these so that the opponent can not react to them easily. Keep safety in mind as well.
6P will stun on CH and it is one of Mila's quicker mids. You have her TD cancel P which is actually a i9 frame mid punch after the transition.
Then there is 3K+H which is a forward rolling somersault kick that is safe(ish) on block. When you successfully whack the opponent with this move, immediately go for 2T for the TD follow ups for guaranteed damage.
Another thing to note is her 1K+HP follow ups. This is a low that will stun on NH. The attack looks the same as 2KP inputs but the variant I speak about simply produces stun on NH while 2K gets the stun on CH. You can also go into 1K+H from a handful of her other strings. You can stop the kick altogether if you fear that the opponent is going to react to it (hold down on K+H).
When you produce the stun, Mila should go for the launch. Because, even if you don't go for the stun game, Mila can still run the train on the opponents health bar anyway from her juggles as well as her 2T after dishing out a hard knock down.
A generic combo would be...
* stun *, * launch *... then you have... the juggles:
- P6PP P+K 2T Ender for TD
- P6PP P6P6P if you don't want TD yet
- 4PT~H P+K6P for secondary knock back option.
(These are just examples)
Use those kinds of juggles to your advantage bur make sure you also take the opponents weight and the environment into consideration too.
In terms of match ups, Mila needs to be cautious around characters with high mobility options and/or i9 frame jabs. Careful spacing and movement plays a critical role in a game such as this. Another thing to consider is that Mila's move set is a bit... smaller than average. But, the thing about this is that she the mire practical tools in helping the player win. For subs / MU adjustments pick a character that is relatively fast or compliment Mila's game play (example, I sub Helena and Pai for this very reason. Be sure to have a back up plan. Otherwise, if you have potentially weak match up on your behalf if you are playing Mila, resort to careful, compact and movement based play while adapting to the opponent).

Just a minor update from what I said earlier:
- As of Last Round, 4K pushes the opponent back on natural hit but it can now be used during the stun game.
- 9P, 6P+K, 3K+H, 1P, 2K+H, TD, H~P are all pretty decent tools for going "in" on the opponent.
- Get the timing on the Mount moves correct as you practice and prevent the opponent from getting any advantage. You may also use 3
- Don't forget about Swift Step Kick (and cancelling it). As of Last Round, Mila now has a few transitions to Swift Step. 1K+H KPP for example will stun on natural hit.
- Be sure to go for throw punishes when the opponent does something unsafe on block. They are a big deal in this game.
- In some situations, you can use TD on wake up against careless opponents that are too close to you.

Kyosuke NEO

So I've be lurkering this forum since I’m interested in Mila, but it’s like I’m just a deer in the head lights in the neutral game. I can’t really get momentum going compared to playing Kasumi or Tina. I got the combos; I have good idea of what moves I should be using from all the top tens, I’m just stumped on putting it all together. I figure it’s time too pull out the proverbial map and ask for directions to MMA Villa.

Lulu

So I've be lurkering this forum since I’m interested in Mila, but it’s like I’m just a deer in the head lights in the neutral game. I can’t really get momentum going compared to playing Kasumi or Tina. I got the combos; I have good idea of what moves I should be using from all the top tens, I’m just stumped on putting it all together. I figure it’s time too pull out the proverbial map and ask for directions to MMA Villa.

Well I love to jump in with the 66T since its an offensive Hold and Mila crouches when she does it.... the best part is you can cancel it into 3 different moves.

I'm sure you noticed that Mila has long and lovely legs..... thats not just eye candy shes standing on, they are fantastic spacing tools..... throw out 4K and 4H+K to make sure they don't come close unless you give them the invitation.

That should improve your neutral game..... and if that fails you can just use the universal side step attacks that every character has.

;) Go Get'em Tiger !!!
Oh... Look what I found.

Last edited:

Argentus

And not to say don't use combos, but remember that they aren't required for Mila. I keep pointing out because people keep missing it, but she goes into her beat down off of anything and everything. Holds, feints, ANY time they are knocked down, (3hk and 2 9ps in a row are guaranteed knockdowns), etc. The only Holds that don't go straight into mount are high and low punch.

I wind up focusing on ground and pound using crushes, overheads and holds rather than combos just because her beat down is both effective and REALLY satisfying. Love to play her in a ground and pound style :)

Also yes her HK moves are great for spacing and punishing. 2pk and 6pk, as well as neutral pk as well. 4k is a love tap though two in a row will cause sit down stun. 7k can be charged and will cause huge stun as well.

Key with mila is learning fundamentals

Lulu

And not to say don't use combos, but remember that they aren't required for Mila. I keep pointing out because people keep missing it, but she goes into her beat down off of anything and everything. Holds, feints, ANY time they are knocked down, (3hk and 2 9ps in a row are guaranteed knockdowns), etc. The only Holds that don't go straight into mount are high and low punch.

I wind up focusing on ground and pound using crushes, overheads and holds rather than combos just because her beat down is both effective and REALLY satisfying. Love to play her in a ground and pound style :)

Also yes her HK moves are great for spacing and punishing. 2pk and 6pk, as well as neutral pk as well. 4k is a love tap though two in a row will cause sit down stun. 7k can be charged and will cause huge stun as well.

Key with mila is learning fundamentals

Thats actually true.... I didn't even realise it sometimes, I just ignored my critical bursts and redhealth and went for the tackles and mounts at the weirdest times... it just felt so good.

Thats around the time I developed a habit for Holding Wake Up Kicks because I just wanted to do it so much.

Jefffcore

At neutral you need to know the speed of your opponents attacks, and you need to pick a crush to crush highs.

Mila vs Kasumi: you can't beat her jab, you have to crush it, you can jab to beat her mids. The only other thing she has are her own crushes to beat your highs; she doesn't need them, but people will still use them. In that case you have 6k and 6p.

Basically you just pick the righ one for what you think they're gonna do, then play your mix ups from there.

I like p6p6p and p6pk for jab strings. The kick is -5 (perfect for fuzzy guarding), and gives a short stun that you can 6t if they don't hit a button; the punch ender is unsafe but gives a deep stun they won't be able to SE. Pp1k is fun, too. Little gimmicky though.

1p+k as a crush gives a good stun to go into 3p.

Lulu

Well this is interesting.... so we all know Mila is technically a "stance character" right.... but I didn't know't just how many of her strings she can cancel into the Feint. She can even cancel twice in a single string.

This warrants a Breakdown.... after all Mila has done so much for me.... its about I give something back.

GreatDarkHero

This is frame advantage
Premium Donor
This may already be common knowledge but there is something I need to share.
Something I notice about Mila tackle inputs.
66T~H
If the player inputs 66T~P... she will automatically perform the punch out from her T. Pressing :h: is not necessary.
If you press :K: or :P: or both of them she fients anyway. Then the player is free to conduct a follow. Pressing either of those two buttons will make her fient her tackle.
This isn't necessarily listed in her move set either.

Lulu

66T~H
If the player inputs 66T~P... she will automatically perform the punch out from her T. Pressing :h: is not necessary.
If you press :K: or :P: or both of them she fients anyway. Then the player is free to conduct a follow. Pressing either of those two buttons will make her fient her tackle.

Thats not exactly how it works for me. Performing :6::6::F::~::P: does cancel the tackle but it doesn't automatically do the punch...... I have press :P: again to get the punch..... its the same thing with all the other buttons..... :K: and:P+K: after :6::6::F: simply cancel into the Feint..... I have to press them twice to get the attack. I play the 360 version of the game.... that might explain the difference.

JusTheBest29

66T~H
It was one of the adjustments they made for Mila coming into Last Round. Some thought that it was hard to do the feint
cancel moves so TN added that to make them easier.

Lulu

It was one of the adjustments they made for Mila coming into Last Round. Some thought that it was hard to do the feint
cancel moves so TN added that to make them easier.

Really..... I can list a bunch of other moves that have way more impractical inputs. That could use the same treatment..... all though I suppose nobody complained about those characters because nobody plays as them..... and you can guess why that is in the first place.... yep.... impractical inputs.

GreatDarkHero

This is frame advantage
Premium Donor
Yep - had to press P or K twice. I didn't really notice this until today though when I started goofing around on the training mode trying to find stuff.
Either way, TD feint into P is a pretty nice option by itself (and probably P+K)
Same animation as 1P+K but properties are more or less the same, except for 66T~H~P (technically) being quicker on start up (i9)...
K is a pretty neat for early launches after an initial stun...

Lulu

Yep - had to press P or K twice. I didn't really notice this until today though when I started goofing around on the training mode trying to find stuff.
Either way, TD feint into P is a pretty nice option by itself (and probably P+K)
Same animation as 1P+K but properties are more or less the same, except for 66T~H~P (technically) being quicker on start up (i9)...
K is a pretty neat for early launches after an initial stun...

I try not to use that method too much because I don't Free Cancel..... so using :h: to feint is my way of "practicing" until my confidence goes up to full on Free Canceling.... which I'm going to needvfor Brad Wong since some if his strings are too lenient and delayable.

Lulu

Okay so we all know :7::[K]: is ten kinds of awesome..... but at the risk of telling every body something they already know. Does anybody body use that Kick twice in a row ? I just did some tests and I noticed that it grants you minimum adavantage of +38..... a fully charged Kick has a Start Up of i35 so if you nail one then the 2nd one is Guaranteed, but that's not what I came talk about.....

So obviously if you perform the same move twice it ends the combo.... whats awesome is if you do this with Mila's :7::[K]: you get that awesome Slow Motion Bounce.

Which I managed to perform three different follow ups for.

So uhm..... is this news to anybody or did I just eat my own foot ?

@Argentus I thought you might find this interesting.

Argentus

Okay so we all know :7::[K]: is ten kinds of awesome..... but at the risk of telling every body something they already know. Does anybody body use that Kick twice in a row ? I just did some tests and I noticed that it grants you minimum adavantage of +38..... a fully charged Kick has a Start Up of i35 so if you nail one then the 2nd one is Guaranteed, but that's not what I came talk about.....

So obviously if you perform the same move twice it ends the combo.... whats awesome is if you do this with Mila's :7::[K]: you get that awesome Slow Motion Bounce.

Which I managed to perform three different follow ups for.

So uhm..... is this news to anybody or did I just eat my own foot ?

@Argentus I thought you might find this interesting.
Yeah I've done it a couple times. Causes the skid doesn't it?

Lulu

Yeah I've done it a couple times. Causes the skid doesn't it?

LoL... I can taste my own foot.
Anyway the "skid".... is that what its called.... I love it..... the part I like most is that if you follow it up with the Super Man Punch it knocks the opponent face down instead of up. Setting up Mila's other mount.

I find this to be usefull in a Mila vs Mila mirror match. Since people don't know the timing for that one as much as the face up mount.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD