DOA5U The Official Tier List with Discussion Thread

AkaShocka

Can we not just give Gen Fu 6-4 across the board? I'm not even joking. If someone can explain how their character blows up Gen Fu, I legitimately want to know. He has like every tool in the game, except range (and he's not even that bad at range). Everything goes into a reset or guaranteed damage. Why do people talk about Rachel being OP and then pretend their character is 6-4 against Gen Fu?
I think he loses to Sarah because Sarah.

iHajinShinobi

Standard Donor
Okay, I'm just going to say this now so people can stop sounding like noobs throwing the term "OP" around so much.

genfu cannot really open you up on block UNLESS he attempts to throw you. He really doesn't have anything in his strike arsenal that screams "mix ups". You block him correctly, he has to throw you. This is where counter hits come into play. If you are not reacting to his i10 or i12 throws, then yes, you are going for a ride.

Most of genfu's play consist of this;

- Neutral pokes you enough to stop blocking so he can initiate his parry/3P defense.

- Neutral pokes you slightly in an attempt to throw you. Smart genfu play will keep you in check with an i5 or i7 so you can't react to throws, you guess instead. Typical genfu will always attempt an i10 or i12, you can certainly react to the slower speeds like i10 and i12 throws.

- Tries to keep your neutral/counter pokes in check with P, 6P, 4P6P 2P, 3P and K (K is throw punishable). genfu's 3K is i14, he cannot keep you in check with this in CQC for counter poking.

His 1P is also -4 on neutral hit (low throw punishable on block), so he has to be defensive if he makes his next move.

Let this sink in for a bit, there are characters that can fight genfu. You can't use every tool in every single match up your character has. Some tools are more effective than others in certain match ups, some are not. Think carefully and take your time in the lab to figure things out.

I'll say just this bit as an example, everything in Hayabusa's ninpo stance up close loses to Ayane's 6P.

SweetRevenge117

Standard Donor
Well hajin to be fair I do have 44p which gives me guaranteed stuff. Lol. And it crushes well so if you react to late it could already have taken shape. Also players let me get 3k on their block since their afraid of being parried and dont try to initiate. Also I habe options to beat out offense other then parries since im so fast lol. Once I get a few parries though it opens people up since they try to throw me randomly. So I do have plenty of ways to open people up lol. Besides I can delay the strings and impatient players usually bite :p

StrikerSashi

Premium Donor
If the opponent needs 10f reaction time to play, it's already ridiculous. His throws aren't even distinct from his strikes on the first frame, so you'd have to have be even faster.

iHajinShinobi

Standard Donor
Well hajin to be fair I do have 44p which gives me guaranteed stuff. Lol. And it crushes well so if you react to late it could already have taken shape. Also players let me get 3k on their block since their afraid of being parried and dont try to initiate. Also I habe options to beat out offense other then parries since im so fast lol. Once I get a few parries though it opens people up since they try to throw me randomly. So I do have plenty of ways to open people up lol. Besides I can delay the strings and impatient players usually bite :p

Yeah I forget to label 44P.

Also, I already labeled where genfu's speed is in his strikes (there is no need for me to mention strings because they are obviously there after everything except K and 2P). I'm also not implying genfu isn't strong, simply saying you can fight him.

SweetRevenge117

Standard Donor
And with 1p being negative on normal hit doesnt bug me. 3p beats out highs and I have a parry. Not to mention my faint stun on high counter if you grab.....genfu does not care about negative 4

iHajinShinobi

Standard Donor
If the opponent needs 10f reaction time to play, it's already ridiculous. His throws aren't even distinct from his strikes on the first frame, so you'd have to have be even faster.

Well you have to learn to react faster playing this game. There are other characters with painful throws and are at i7 frames. i10 and i12 are more manageable than those.

SweetRevenge117

Standard Donor
But genfu doesnt even need offense to open you up. Say I put 66p on your block. I can open you up with all of the tools I have to counter ur next move. 3p parry faint stun....one hit and ur in my vortex lol

But you said genfu has to be defensive. Thats a negative connotation because genfu has more options than most when hes negative lol

Brute

Standard Donor
Everything in Hayabusa's ninpo stance loses to Ayane's 6P. The hold especially gets blown up more.
How so? If he immediately fuzzies he can't be thrown or strike punished from the recovery, even with Ayane's fastest BT, the 11f 7K.

Tenryuga

I'm not sure if Hajin meant reacting to the throw animation or not but I can tell you it is very much possible to react to free canceling and delays. That's the entire reason so much stuff is negative on block in this game: To give the defending player time to score CH when they spot such things. If you were to Hi-counterhit Gen Fu when he free cancels to try and go for a throw I'd count that as reacting to a grab attempt.

Last edited:

iHajinShinobi

Standard Donor
But genfu doesnt even need offense to open you up. Say I put 66p on your block. I can open you up with all of the tools I have to counter ur next move. 3p parry faint stun....one hit and ur in my vortex lol

Or I can throw you if you parry, 2P you or just keep blocking (you know Requiem and I know how to deal with that stuff lol).

SweetRevenge117

Standard Donor
The correct words are manage hajin not deal lol. No one has dealt with my genfu in a very long time. Theyve just managed the blows......

Brute

Standard Donor
The correct words are manage hajin not deal lol. No one has dealt with my genfu in a very long time. Theyve just managed the blows......
I know it's just semantics, but "manage" carries a more authoritative tone than "deal." If I "manage" something, I think it implies I'm in more control of it than if I simply "deal" with it.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD