DOA5U The Official Tier List with Discussion Thread

vINv

After Reading through the this forum i noticed a highly irrational comment was made the skill level in america for this game is not the highest in the world a lot of Japanese players and Netherlands players don't bother showing up to our tournaments because Americans are viewed as whiners we complain and complain and cry for nerfs where other countries don't find them necessary. And another thing i watch a lot of american tournaments and Japanese tournaments the doa community as whole doesn't punish and has very little knowledge of what a frame is.... i think before tier list are made ppl need to take understand the game mechanics to often do people try to base it of there experience theirs to many people that play the game to do that it has to hashed out and discussed with VALID LOGICAL ARGUMENTS and draw up accurate M-Us tournaments are not reflection of tier but of a player vs player and the difference in there skill at the moment and what kind of day there having.

Let me also place an argument as to why Sara Bryant is the best char in this game
Sara has lots of tools that quite literally good in EVERY situation lets go over what people already know her 6p damaging throws incredible combo dmg shes able to play the poke game the spacing game the hold bate game and the fake out game and mix in just Frames and has frame traps for days. ill post Sara Frames/setups and some combos i ve develop and my opinion of all of her match ups to which does not have a bad m-u all of her m-us are 5-5 or better..

Last edited by a moderator:

Pictured Mind

a lot of Japanese players and Netherlands players don't bother showing up to our tournaments because Americans are viewed as whiners we complain and complain and cry for nerfs where other countries don't find them necessary.

Dutch players best players. #DutchPride #RepYourHood

Crext

Standard Donor
Setting all current match-ups as outdated in anticipation for patch 1.04.

Feel free to discuss the current match-up more, just be aware that it will be outdated shortly.

:hitomi: Smile while you can!

Brute

Standard Donor
THere are really only a few characters who may get some MU changes with the upcoming patch. Most of the changes are pretty arbitrary and won't change things much. Only some, like Jann Lee, may have to receive new consideration(s). I can say that the Hayabusa/Jann Lee MU shouldn't change, though. An 11 mid is still beating the same options a 12 mid would against Hayabusa, and is still losing against his jab only.

Pictured Mind

Rachels MU's still stay the same on her part as far as I know. Seeing how she doesn't get any hardcore changes. Still, I don't know until I've played with the patch.

AkaShocka

Rachels MU's still stay the same on her part as far as I know. Seeing how she doesn't get any hardcore changes. Still, I don't know until I've played with the patch.

Speaking of Rachel MUs, who do you think is her worst match up? Me and Force of Nature were going back and forth on thinking it was Ayane or Christie. But who do you think it is?

Pictured Mind

Speaking of Rachel MUs, who do you think is her worst match up? Me and Force of Nature were going back and forth on thinking it was Ayane or Christie. But who do you think it is?

I was gonna say Ayane or Christie so uh... Ayane or Christie.
Problem is I have no experience with either of them so you and Force have stronger points than me. If I did I would've written MU's ages ago.

Malfury

Ayane in my opinion. At least with Christie, it's easier to predict some hold opportunities despite how fast she is.

AkaShocka

Ayane in my opinion. At least with Christie, it's easier to predict some hold opportunities despite how fast she is.
I truly honestly think it is Christie. She is better at the neutral because of her speed, she has just as many crushes as Ayane, great mix ups, and can also be pretty good at a distance. Christie even has 2 launchers that allow her to do lightweight juggles on heavyweights. Christie has the 9 frame jab and 11 frame mid punch and those can really piss off a heavyweight. Also, Christie's jak can dodge every follow up after Rachel's :P::P: including the OH. So as a Christie player, Im not afraid to jak after I see Rachel do :P::P: because I can dodge it all and not worry about getting hit. Christie can take Rachel out in many ways: Crush all her shit, out-speed her, mix her up, space her out, punish her, or do lightweight juggles on the heavyweight. Im sure Ayane can do that too but Ayane doesn't have a tool (please correct me if Im wrong) than can evade everything after Rachel's :P::P: and I don't think Ayane has launchers that allows her to do lightweight juggles on a heavyweight. Ayane does have a better chance of getting anyway from Rachel but Christie can also backup pretty easily do to her bak jak. So imo Christie is her worst MU.

Malfury

I truly honestly think it is Christie. She is better at the neutral because of her speed, she has just as many crushes as Ayane, great mix ups, and can also be pretty good at a distance. Christie even has 2 launchers that allow her to do lightweight juggles on heavyweights. Christie has the 9 frame jab and 11 frame mid punch and those can really piss off a heavyweight. Also, Christie's jak can dodge every follow up after Rachel's :P::P: including the OH. So as a Christie player, Im not afraid to jak after I see Rachel do :P::P: because I can dodge it all and not worry about getting hit. Christie can take Rachel out in many ways: Crush all her shit, out-speed her, mix her up, space her out, punish her, or do lightweight juggles on the heavyweight. Im sure Ayane can do that too but Ayane doesn't have a tool (please correct me if Im wrong) than can evade everything after Rachel's :P::P: and I don't think Ayane has launchers that allows her to do lightweight juggles on a heavyweight. Ayane does have a better chance of getting anyway from Rachel but Christie can also backup pretty easily do to her bak jak. So imo Christie is her worst MU.
I see. I based my opinion mostly on gains from punishment and working from there. What would happen if a Rachel played more safely or waited for certain strings? I think Christie would be more at risk than Ayane, in my opinion. But either way, yeah, If Christie lands a solid launch, that health is going away.

J.D.E.

Standard Donor
Actually, Ayane does have the tools to combat Christie. Christie does have great tools to beat her, but so does Ayane up close. As long as Ayane has 4P, BT 4P, 8K, BT 6P & 2P, she can out crush her well, just as Christie can interrupt some of Ayane's strings. She can deal with her JAK just fine. It's also pretty tough for Christie to get in on her as long as Ayane is out in mid range with 3H+K, BT 6P, BT4H+K (though it's 20i, it's still something to watch out for), 1P+KP, 1P+KK & a charging 1P+KP, which is a +5 frame advantage guard break for Ayane. I personally think that this match up could go either way, 5-5 at the worst.

AkaShocka

Actually, Ayane does have the tools to combat Christie. Christie does have great tools to beat her, but so does Ayane up close. As long as Ayane has 4P, BT 4P, 8K, BT 6P & 2P, she can out crush her well, just as Christie can interrupt some of Ayane's strings. She can deal with her JAK just fine. It's also pretty tough for Christie to get in on her as long as Ayane is out in mid range with 3H+K, BT 6P, BT4H+K (though it's 20i, it's still something to watch out for), 1P+KP, 1P+KK & a charging 1P+KP, which is a +5 frame advantage guard break for Ayane. I personally think that this match up could go either way, 5-5 at the worst.
I think you misunderstood me. I was talking about Christie vs Rachel not Ayane vs Christie. I think Christie is Rachel's worst matchup, and not Ayane, though they both can do pretty much the same thing to Rachel. Also, when I was comparing Ayane and Christie I was comparing what they can do to Rachel, not each other.

J.D.E.

Standard Donor
I think you misunderstood me. I was talking about Christie vs Rachel not Ayane vs Christie. I think Christie is Rachel's worst matchup, and not Ayane, though they both can do pretty much the same thing to Rachel. Also, when I was comparing Ayane and Christie I was comparing what they can do to Rachel, not each other.
Ah ok. My bad

vINv

Rachel's worst match up with out a doubt is Ayane when people play this game they completely for get about the spacing game and only play the up close game Rachel cant space at all and her dash up spacing tools are horrific so ideally Ayane doesn't even have to beat Rachel she just has to wait her out and space adequately not mention most of Rachel's good pressure is mid punch and mid kick and any Ayane worth her salt should have a just framed advanced mid kick or mid punch counter waiting. which leads to combos or a tech trap.. in no universe does rachel beat Ayane if the players are DEAD EVEN in skill

Malfury

Rachel's worst match up with out a doubt is Ayane when people play this game they completely for get about the spacing game and only play the up close game Rachel cant space at all and her dash up spacing tools are horrific so ideally Ayane doesn't even have to beat Rachel she just has to wait her out and space adequately not mention most of Rachel's good pressure is mid punch and mid kick and any Ayane worth her salt should have a just framed advanced mid kick or mid punch counter waiting. which leads to combos or a tech trap.. in no universe does rachel beat Ayane if the players are DEAD EVEN in skill
Blackberry Chaos says hi.

I don't think one should ever say a character has no chance at all against any other character. In the end it does come down to skill level but even so, don't automatically condemn a character to all out failure as there is really no such thing.

Yaguar

I don't think one should ever say a character has no chance at all against any other character.

I completely agree. There is for sure no 10-0 in DOA5U. Unless it's Gen Fu vs. Gen Fu which is a 10-10 (fuck the rules).

In the end it does come down to skill level but even so, don't automatically condemn a character to all out failure as there is really no such thing.

Wrong! A tier list is not based on player skill. A low tier character is still low tier even if someone is capable of stopping a high tier character with them. Whether this is purely due to the match up actually being one of that top tiers unfavourable ones or just winning on skill.

Tier lists are impartial to skill differences!

In gaming, a tier list is a list that ranks all characters in order of their potential to win under tournament conditions, assuming equal skill on the part of each player. A tier list is decided based on the analysis of the following; the metagame and the effectiveness of the characters' strategies, each character's moveset and statistics, each character's matchup spread, and each character's tournament results. Tier lists are commonly made for fighting games that are played on the high competitive level.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD