DOA5U The Official Tier List with Discussion Thread

Jyakotu

Standard Donor
so...uh...moving on my peeps. Let's talk about the VF characters. Why don't more people play them?
The VF characters are probably the most technical characters out of the cast, with Pai being the easiest and Akira being the hardest to utilize. In order to make the most out of the VF characters, your execution has to be on point and you really have to nail down their 1 frame links for certain moves.

Pictured Mind

@iHajinShinobi

I notice you have Hayabusa as "A" tier. I'm curious because I don't know that character well, but I always hear doom and gloom about him. What in your opinion makes him so good?

Some friends of mine think he's a really good character as well, while I see people on FSD saying he's bad. I would like to know this as well, from anyone who knows Hayabusa.

Last edited:

iHajinShinobi

Standard Donor
Hayabusa was one placement I am unsure of. Remember that I said this is a rough draft, and that some placements are not final. I've spoken with Master recently and he's told me he thinks Hayabusa is around the upper mid tier range.

he's upper mid in a plain map but if the environment is a little more involved then his tier begins to change. The more involved the stage Is, usually the higher his tier goes. I hope that makes sense. He's a character that has a good way of showing what the game is and could become. People that don't understand him usually thing he's OP because he's 'Hayabusa' from NG. He's a lot more involved than that.

There is more to our conversation but that is the gist of it. Which makes sense, because I go by the same thing in regards to Ayane with DOA's environmental influence and stage influence.

However, at this point I'm withdrawing furthering my tier list until sometime after this upcoming patch. The entire list will not be altered by the patch, but a few placements may change.

Last edited:

Lulu

Actually in my Oppinion Sarah is the Easiest of the VF Characters...... Then Pai then Jacky and Then Akira......

Jacky is actually much easier to play than both Pai and Sarah since the only tough thing about him is that pesky Flash Sword Kick..... which I can do...... but I can't play him because of the one problem that appearently only affects me.

Akira is 50% Execution.

Lulu

What? not sure if you just went reverse right there...but I wanted to let people know that I think Eliot is easier than Gen Fu, but wait...I think Gen Fu is easier than Eliot. :rolleyes:

LoL..... well I did state the reason why I thought Jacky is easier despite what I said about Sarah.

Quite frankly its not as simple as one character being easier than another..... you'l have go over all the individual aspects of their moves and they're intricacies and some things they can do are easy and somethings are hard, sometimes they can be different types of hard.

Jefffcore

The triangle system plays a pretty big role in the neutral game, depending on your character choice (Grapplers have no attacks to beat 11i mids). Up close, anyway.

Look at Jann Lee vs. Leon: 11i mid stops everything Leon does, so he HAS to hold, block, or back away. If the Leon chooses to hold, the JL has to switch to a high, mid kick, throw or 2p. If high or throw, you open yourself to 33p or 2p; if a mid kick, Leon has his jab. (Not really relevant to my point, but Leon has much higher reward on most options).

Having holds makes Jann Lee's speed irrelevant, and keeps it the same "guessing" game it always is.

Last edited:

UpSideDownGRUNT

I think people think Hayabusa is bad because they're used to him being high/top tier, I mean in DOA2/2U, 4 and Dimensions he's stupidly good 4 & Dimensions especially.

Same with Ein, 5 is the worst he's ever been, in 2U he was high tier and 3, 4 and Dimensions he was mid tier at best. Currently in Last Round I'd say he's around upper low/low mid tier area, but a good few changes could change that drastically I'd personally be happy with hm being mid tier he doesn't have to be good just needs enough so he doesn't quite struggle so much against faster characters like Lisa and Christie.

Pictured Mind

I think people think Hayabusa is bad because they're used to him being high/top tier, I mean in DOA2/2U, 4 and Dimensions he's stupidly good 4 & Dimensions especially.

Same with Ein, 5 is the worst he's ever been, in 2U he was high tier and 3, 4 and Dimensions he was mid tier at best. Currently in Last Round I'd say he's around upper low/low mid tier area, but a good few changes could change that drastically I'd personally be happy with hm being mid tier he doesn't have to be good just needs enough so he doesn't quite struggle so much against faster characters like Lisa and Christie.

I feel like Ein already got a lot better in a previous patch (don't know which one it was, but it had 1P etc.). He's still definitely not a good character, but he's not terrible.

Sup guys, i've been lurking here awhile. i love this game, it's the first fighter i've put 100+ hours into and i've tried atleast 1 version of most fighting franchises with the exception of a couple 2d games like Jojo and Persona. I was wondering where you guys think my characters fall on the tier list and if theyre any different based on my intermediate skilll evel (ranked C on Xbox One). I ask because i dont think high execution characters like Akira or Liefang apply to me or my opponents considering myself and everyone i play has atleast marginal room for growth on their main and doesn't have encyclopedic knowledge of the roster. My characters are:

Bass
Rig
Kokoro
Bayman
Jacky

i've dropped Leon and Tengu recently, i just don't have fun or success with them anymore
I dont think busas bad but I dont think hes super good either, mid tier is what I think, but that's just me.

Agreed. He's one of the characters that seems high tier to new players, but with experience he's not amazing at all. I feel like he really telegraphs his strings that end in lows or are throw punishable. Atleast my friend who mains him does. I noticed watching tournaments that the Busa never use his teleports, which can be devastating and rattle less skilled players.

tokiopewpew

Standard Donor
Sup guys, i've been lurking here awhile. i love this game, it's the first fighter i've put 100+ hours into and i've tried atleast 1 version of most fighting franchises with the exception of a couple 2d games like Jojo and Persona. I was wondering where you guys think my characters fall on the tier list and if theyre any different based on my intermediate skilll evel (ranked C on Xbox One). I ask because i dont think high execution characters like Akira or Liefang apply to me or my opponents considering myself and everyone i play has atleast marginal room for growth on their main and doesn't have encyclopedic knowledge of the roster. My characters are:

Bass
Rig
Kokoro
Bayman
Jacky

i've dropped Leon and Tengu recently, i just don't have fun or success with them anymore

Hi there and welcome! Not sure what others here think, but I'm having difficulties in understanding what you mean with "if theyre any different based on my intermediate skill level" and why you think that certain characters don't apply to you.

You should know that exection requirements do not determine or influence a characters tier list ranking. Same goes for a players 'skill'. You won't be able to value characters on these things because it's nothing you can put into figures and compare it.

The tier list just tells you what tools your character has to deal with other characters and how much they can help you to win a match or ... like some people also tend to say: How much effort you have to put into a match for taking it and how much of this "encyclopedic knowledge of the roster" you mentioned is required for doing so.

That means that you'll propably never get the answer you're looking for when you're asking for a tier list standing based on your online rank because that thing does not only indicate zero about how good or bad a player is, it simply doesn't matter.

I'm pretty sure most of the people around here have their own personal tier list in mind so answers in reference to the characters you play might differ a lot. There is not complete list around yet and even veterans who've been playing the game for years are sometimes not sure about certain standings. And even if they are, there will be always others who will still disagree with them.

However, in general, except for Rig, it looks like you tend to play lower mid and low tiers.

Btw, Leifang is not a character that requires high execution in any way so you really should take a look at her if you are interested in playing her.

Last edited:

KING JAIMY

Bass
Rig
Kokoro
Bayman
Jacky

Agreed. He's one of the characters that seems high tier to new players, but with experience he's not amazing at all. I feel like he really telegraphs his strings that end in lows or are throw punishable. Atleast my friend who mains him does. I noticed watching tournaments that the Busa never use his teleports, which can be devastating and rattle less skilled players.
Welcome to Freestepdodge! Here are my opinions of the characters' placements in the tier list:

Bass: Mid tier
Rig: Upper-mid tier or high tier (the latter is debatable)
Kokoro: Low tier
Bayman: Mid-low tier
Jacky: Mid tier

UncleKitchener

Standard Donor
Out of all the characters you listed, Bass is the simplest and requires less effort than general. The hard part is just making good reads and having competent fundementals, especially defensively.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD