The official Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown thread

If you watched why SC5 failed on What Happened, you already know that 2012 was a terrible year for video games overall. But again, the AM2 team that worked on VF5FS and VF5US will be working on this.
No really, both SC5 and RE6 were two of the most disappointing games of 2012 by far and I don't blame anyone who hated those two games. There were a handful of good games but also a handful of bad ones that year as well.

TheHunterKiller692

If you watched why SC5 failed on What Happened, you already know that 2012 was a terrible year for video games overall.
Bullshit. Halo 4 and Black Ops 2 outsold anything else, except maybe DOA 5. Bandai Namco was a bad company, and the fact they exist together (two corpses in one grave, if you will) will only hurt Bandai's reputation.

And don't gimme any bullshit on NG3. I liked that game, too.

VirtuaKazama

Standard Donor
News Team
No really, both SC5 and RE6 were two of the most disappointing games of 2012 by far and I don't blame anyone who hated those two games. There were a handful of good games but also a handful of bad ones that year as well.
Street Fighter x Tekken as well. Remember the DLC fiasco that hit. Also the Wii U came out, Ninja Gaiden 3 didn't do so well until Razor's Edge came out, the list goes on.
Bullshit. Halo 4 and Black Ops 2 outsold anything else, except maybe DOA 5. Bandai Namco was a bad company, and the fact they exist together (two corpses in one grave, if you will) will only hurt Bandai's reputation.

Either way, the point is this: Just wait and see on what happens for the new VF title. Until we see a trailer or gameplay footage, I will do my best to support the VF scene.

Another thing that I want to point out is that Virtua Fighter has been eSports before eSports was a thing since 1994 when VF2 came out. SEGA was ahead of their time with how they supported the series in Japan, and sometimes in the West with the SEGA Cup.

Project Bokuho

Lady Helena's Pet
Premium Donor

Vanilla NG3 was...a mess (Don't even get me started on the garbage that is Yaiba). Razor's Edge on the other hand was much better received.

Derock

Sorry to double post but I want to expand the VF history from @DestructionBomb 's post:

Jacky is not only inspired by Goku's Super Saiyan form but also from the Terminator (image of John Connor).

Since Lau = Tao Pai Pai and even had his name during development as Tao Chan, of course, this was how Pai's name came from. Lau's design came from a model for a tea commercial.

If everyone didn't know, Jeffry's original name was Willie, directly from Willie Williams aka "Bear Killer". His final name came from a cut character, Jeffrey "Jeff" Buchanan/Buckman, who was strikingly looks exactly like Jack from Tekken. There's another prototype name for Jeffry before the final: Willie Roberts.

Because Akira went through numerous designs, and even one point, Siba was part of the main cast (went by Majido), his fighting style, Bajiquan/Hakkyoku-ken came from the manga, Kenji, Seichi Ishii's favorite. Akira's model is based on the K-1 fighter, Masaki Satake. Prototype names of Akira were Takeru Ryushoji and Akira Ryuzaki.

Kage was created because the team needed a ninja character. His prototype name was Yagyu.

Wolf was developed by a new designer at the time from five different design choices that came up in one night.

Dural was based on from the character Count Duralumin from Knight of the Ribbon. At one point, Dural had 3 human male designs before decided on a soulless, metallic, nude female cyborg.

Nothing on Sarah from this interview though, but someone stated that she was based on Sarah Connor from The Terminator 2: Judgment Day.

Other mentioned stuff I added that was not in the interview came from The Cutting Room Floor article: https://tcrf.net/Virtua_Fighter_(Arcade)

Derock

I think she was a robot in the anime adaptation, if memory serves me right.
Yes, Dural was just a robot created by Eva Durix. Akira defeated it twice: first season normally. Second season, well, Akira had a shonen power-up and knocked it out of the gate arena and off the cliff.

Speaking of the anime, after watching the second season, I have a bit of mixed feelings. The animations are off-putting, especially for Akira and Pai as they had aged for the time skip. Don't know why they brought back Eva. Oni-maru was annoying as hell, seriously just to tone down Kage. And the group that was named by the letter C was basically Judgement 6 in a different name.

Last edited:

VirtuaKazama

Standard Donor
News Team
This was posted last week by Midori, but we might be seeing a VF reveal sometime this year. Now it's only a matter of "when and where".

UPDATE: Midori will no longer be using this account. Thanks to her, at least I know there's a new VF coming.

In another update, Midori isn't going anywhere. She will continue to use the account.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD