The official Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown thread

Omnistalgic

yeah, I'm going to assume that's the way to dodge some of the attacks I've been getting hit with It seems like I see em' coming, but still get hit. Or it could just be me thinking that I'm blocking because I'm holding back (SF4) dunno yet, but evade seems 50/50 sometimes unless you know the opponents move-sets and when they won't finish the string with a move you can't dodge. Looks like you have to come to grips with all characters to be a decent defensive player.

WiZzYx

You actually tap up or down once to dodge.
Is good to know it. I'm always pressing the up or down button for long time, then the character just ducking, or walk around.

yeah, I'm going to assume that's the way to dodge some of the attacks I've been getting hit with It seems like I see em' coming, but still get hit. Or it could just be me thinking that I'm blocking because I'm holding back (SF4) dunno yet, but evade seems 50/50 sometimes unless you know the opponents move-sets and when they won't finish the string with a move you can't dodge. Looks like you have to come to grips with all characters to be a decent defensive player.
Yes. Circular kicks, by example, can't dodge, and some attacks have one direction to dodge only.

TRI Mike

Yeah but unless you have lightning-fast reflexes it's pretty much impossible to know in ~15 frames if you can sidestep it, much less decide the direction in that brief time. I actually see this as a guessing game as well.

Game Over

Yeah but unless you have lightning-fast reflexes it's pretty much impossible to know in ~15 frames if you can sidestep it, much less decide the direction in that brief time. I actually see this as a guessing game as well.

Better knowledge of the game will improve your reactions SIGNIFICANTLY. If you study each of the characters, and know each of their movelists, you will automatically be better able to respond against their attacks ... ESPECIALLY when your opponent is mashing.

Not a lot of players are willing to put in that amount of work to learn a game, though. Shame, too, cause VF is probably the most rewarding game on the market for investing time.

One thing I'll add is that if there is one or two particular characters giving you the most problems, start by learning their movelists (if initially going through everyone's is overwhelming) to improve your defense against them. Then, as you improve against them, a different character should stand out as the newest problem, and you go on to learn that character's movelist, and on and on and on from there ... significant improvement spread out over time in a way that doesn't feel so much like endless grinding.

TRI Mike

Yeah, that sounds pretty good. I still gotta find my own main though. I'm maining Aoi and Eileen but there are like seven other people I like to use.

WiZzYx

TRI Mike, you have not played with us, for be playing that ugly DOA 5 Alpha Demo. :(

PD: my left thumb hurts, i'm practicing akira's inputs...damn, i need an arcade stick. Somebody can do this with a gamepad? I don't

:3: :F+P+K: (guard) :4: :3: :P+K: :236: :P: :4: :6: :P+K:
or
:F+P+K: (hit) :4: :3: :F+P: :4: :P:

I mean, you have 2 frames to do all the inputs from the hit, onward! Insane...

Omnistalgic

Ok...find my 2 mains, Jean, and Lion...Lion seems to be a little more work as his combos are bit more technical/counter hit based and overall is just a high-low mixup character I think, were Jean is very defensive oriented and a heavy punisher with nice one-two combos.

Made my way up with the Dans, but starting to get beat by the better players who don't mash, and have combo/setup variety, and I'm generally fighting players where match-up knowledge is becoming extremely effective. Still, it was nice winning 10 and 20 times in a row against the Kyu fellas, and I went through all the characters I have an interest in and ended up with Lion and Jean.

First match-ups will definitely be El Blaze (grrr..hate that little flipping idiot) Shun Di, and Pai...there are giving me the most problems so far, Shun Di is a bit confusing as well to defend against. Also got rapped by a Kage who knew how to use his rolls and counter moves effectively, I really didn't know how to block any of it...true ninja stuff lol

Are you guys Gamertags the same as your PSN, that's all I see on the name tags? I'm playing VF5 on PSN as OmniStalgic btw, OmniCloud is officially retired. tks for the tips peeps...helped me out a lot, now I ready to stop owning these scrubs online and play FOR ReAL! Well, close, online does present some slight lag, but still much better than most fighters.

TRI Mike, you have not played with us, for be playing that ugly DOA 5 Alpha Demo. :(

PD: my left thumb hurts, i'm practicing akira's inputs...damn, i need an arcade stick. Somebody can do this with a gamepad? I don't

:3: :F+P+K: (guard) :4: :3: :P+K: :236: :P: :4: :6: :P+K:
or
:F+P+K: (hit) :4: :3: :F+P: :4: :P:

I mean, you have 2 frames to do all the inputs from the hit, onward! Insane...
the move is so satisfying to hit, you eventually get used to it...I don't main Akira, so I never felt the desire to get too competent with his bnb, but I did manage to get it down 6/10 times on PS3 dual shock.

TRI Mike

Wiz I'm so sorry man I was not at home this weekend so I couldn't play with you two. When I got online in the DOA5 Alpha I was actually in a birthday party showing the demo to some people so I couldn't reply to Sypha's message, less play VF5 (even though I wanted to join you two). I think I might get online during the early nights this week so we can play, I wanna test some things in unranked matches with Sarah, El Blaze and Jean Kujo.

Nope, still can't decide on a main.

EDIT: I have the game on both consoles. PSN is "Abuelo_RPG", Gamertag can be found in my profile.

WiZzYx

I'm seriously thinking to change my main. Lei-Fei being replaced by Akira, and use the shaolin monk, to evade mirror matches (i hate them). The Bajiquan master it's a bull...lighting-fast and powerful blows. :)

FakeSypha

Wiz I'm so sorry man I was not at home this weekend so I couldn't play with you two. When I got online in the DOA5 Alpha I was actually in a birthday party showing the demo to some people so I couldn't reply to Sypha's message, less play VF5 (even though I wanted to join you two). I think I might get online during the early nights this week so we can play, I wanna test some things in unranked matches with Sarah, El Blaze and Jean Kujo.
Don't worry about that Mike, we assumed you couldn't join us. I'll be online this weekend, and I'm sure Wiz will be too.

I've been trying to pick up Sarah and play with her a little. Learning her moves and stuff. Nothing serious, tho. I'll remain faithful to my ugly Vanessa :D

WiZzYx

I have an idea. This weekend we can play a mini Latinamerican VF5 Tournament, 8 people max. I get the other 5 players on this week. Best of 5, 220 HP, 45 sec.

TRI Mike

What's the difference, post the rules first and then we'll all decide. Also, let's try NOT to do it on Saturday night because I already have plans with my girlfriend. Friday night and Sunday is perfect (assuming I have internet).

FakeSypha

Great idea, any way to record the matches and post them¿
I can do it. The quality is not the best you could see, tho. My capture card has composite and S-video inputs only. Oh, and there another problem. I don't have the customization packs... but that could be solved.
About the rules... being honest, I don't know much about them. Anyway, let's just try keep them simple to avoid saltiness over silly things. In the end, I assume we just want to fight in a friendly environment.

Whatever, I'm totally in. Friday night, saturday night or sunday evening works for me.

@Wizzyx start pulling your strings and get all those Chilean and Brazilians together. Make it happen!
@Mike Well, Vanessa may not have waifu potential but she's not that ugly.

WiZzYx

I have a new video capturer, and the customization packs too. I record all the replays and that's it. YouTube next stop. :)
Mike, no problem...saturday at night nobody, except me and Sypha it's playing with the Xbox hahaha. Sunday night sounds better for all; it's long weekend in Argentina because the Independence Day it's this Monday.

BTW...Evo Rules (or something like that ;) ):

Double Elimination.
Winners and Losers Bracket.
Best of 3 matches.
Each Match best of 5 rounds (220 HP, 45 sec.).
Loser can change fighter. Winner don't.
The loser of the winner bracket fall to loser bracket. If lose again, it's automatically eliminated.

Grand Final Best of 5 Matches.
The winner of the losers bracket, must defeat twice to become the champion. An example:

bracketc.png

Prize: A premium account of 1 month of a remote host service. :)

PD: Messages sent. Now, waiting for responses from potential participants. :cool:

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD