The official Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown thread

DForev

Anyone got tips for using Sarah? I don't play all that often, so I've only used Sarah and been trying to see what combos I can make. Can't seem to find any decent video on youtube with Sarah.
In that video I was mostly focused on trying out combos from her full spin heel kick. I get burned a lot online since I don't play often, have no clue what the other characters are capable of and I'm using online for practice more than fighting. Then again I'm only using a pad so I can't pull off everything sweetly anyway. Still, if you guys know any decent combo, that's be great. Though I don't see anyone else maining her...

I have to say though, Vanessa, Pai, Aoi and Lion look like fun characters to use.

TRI Mike

This is probably very wrong from me but I think winning with Pai is way too easy. She has too many strings that force her opponents to switch from standing to low guard very quickly and can land stuns from that very easily. I dunno, It's pissing me off that I always lose to her even if my opponent is a 10th kyu.

In Sarah's case, memorize her move list and abuse the moves that make transitions normal~flamingo and flamingo~normal. Go to Free Training and see which moves stun, which ones launch and learn a few good juggles. Use her flamingo parry and learn how to sidestep with it. She's very cool.

DForev

In Sarah's case, memorize her move list and abuse the moves that make transitions normal~flamingo and flamingo~normal. Go to Free Training and see which moves stun, which ones launch and learn a few good juggles. Use her flamingo parry and learn how to sidestep with it. She's very cool.
Yea I definitely gotta take to heart her sidestep from flamingo. That's just so cool. Otherwise though I tend to not stay in flamingo, just seems more restrictive than I'd like (but learning the sidestep should help that). I never really try to use her parry, I have enough trouble reading attacks as it is when blocking.

I'm really liking her forward slide after a few practices. Hard to bait with a :4::P+K: follow-up, but hella fun to connect into a juggle. And that's just one option from the slide.

Sarah, Sarah, Sarah...i hate her. Just mash Kick Button and voilá... ;) haha

Haha, kicks FTW! I have no idea which character I hate in the game, though Eileen is always a total surprise.

WiZzYx

Hahahaha that's anger. At least, I have to take the time to be constantly changing the instance, and not to fall into a position that then execute the wrong attack during the string or combo. Lei-Fei is not Sarah, Pai, Brad or Jacky...

TRI Mike

Sarah isn't as mashing-friendly as she seems. Pai and Fei on the other hand...

Seriously I beat a bunch of "Barbarians" and stuff like that in Ranked just mashing with Pai. It's ridiculous.

Allan Paris

A mashing Pai, not playing against her with delay is very easy to deal with. She's not exactly safe after finished strings. At best she gets a few 50/50 situations after some of them. The players you beat like that, don't know what they are doing or how to deal with her once she finishes a string. That is if you were literally mashing with her.

Probably got their rank from just playing the shit out of the game, it's not like you lose points when you lose.

RoboJoe

Good game yesterday to grap3. Also, I played someone with the gamertag CrossCounterTV. Was that those guys who make web videos of street fighter? I forget their names, but the one with the black guy and the angry chinese man?

grap3fruitman

Standard Donor
Good game yesterday to grap3
I thought your name looked familiar! Durr... I'm slow.

I'm actually pretty terrible and I'm shocked I beat you to be honest. There were a few moments where you were scaring the hell out of me and I couldn't do anything. Or wait... Did I beat you? I don't even remember.

Yesterday was my first time playing in well over a week and I could definitely tell. I need to push myself to get more time in with the game so I can improve.

I don't really understand sidestepping. Coming from a DOA background, that should make a lot of sense, right? Whenever I try to do it, I always manage to get hit and it seems pretty worthless to me until I play someone that actually knows how to use it and they manage to avoid every single attack I throw out. Halp!

Black Dragon

A successful sidestep only occurs when it's during your opponent's execution frames. Do it before they attack and you'll get hit.

Also, if you do sidestep an attack and retaliate before an attack's execution frames have finished, it will retrack and hit you. So it's best to be a little patient with the sidestepp when used.

RoboJoe

I thought your name looked familiar! Durr... I'm slow.

I'm actually pretty terrible and I'm shocked I beat you to be honest. There were a few moments where you were scaring the hell out of me and I couldn't do anything. Or wait... Did I beat you? I don't even remember.

Yesterday was my first time playing in well over a week and I could definitely tell. I need to push myself to get more time in with the game so I can improve.

I don't really understand sidestepping. Coming from a DOA background, that should make a lot of sense, right? Whenever I try to do it, I always manage to get hit and it seems pretty worthless to me until I play someone that actually knows how to use it and they manage to avoid every single attack I throw out. Halp!

I won, but it was close. You played an interesting Jean, a lot more defense oriented than the ones I usually see, which made it harder for me, particularly because you weren't as prone to counter hits as the aggressive ones. By the way, I hope you haven't given up on Akira, I NEVER see other Akiras online and it would make me sad to see the number of players using him dwindle even further.

I too feel your pain with sidestepping. You'll notice I didn't use it even once, because I can't. I only use offensive move to reposition while my opponent is knocked down. One thing you should know that Black Dragon didn't mention is if you sidestep and the opponent did not attack, the recovery frames are longer.

TRI Mike

I'm reaching a point of frustration with the game. Things aren't going well for me, I lost like 15 straight ranked matches to people who weren't very good (except for maybe 2 or 3). I'm having problems with sidestepping, I sometimes manage to avoid a punch or kick but then immediately get hit by something else in the same string. Players who mash buttons (like Wizzix with Lei-Fei) can't be thrown no matter what because hits always beat throws and I feel that hinders Aoi's performance by a lot. She lacks good lows and relies too much on sabakis, reversals and throws that in many cases are a guess. I still love her though.

Something else is that sometimes I start a round with a jab and my opponent manages to hit me with something that according to the dojo comes out in 18+ frames. I don't know if it's crushing or something like that but it pisses me the fuck off. Characters like Lau, Pai, Jean, Vanessa and Brad get too much damage from doing little things. The most common bnb with those deal 85+ damage while Aoi's and Eileen's only get about 70.

Eileen is another issue, she's VERY cool and I can keep a rushdown game more easily with her but I just have no idea how to low punish, sometimes I see my opponent crouching and since she doesn't have a low throw I'm forced to use a mid attack which is usually too low for the incoming low jab.

THOSE FUCKING LOW JABS.

I need help with punishing and dealing with wake-up kicks as well. God I'm terrible at this game.

EMPEROR_COW

Premium Donor
For the guys that are looking to learn Sarah, I'm working on a small tutorial covering a the key things you need to know when using her. So, stay tuned! :D

Blackula

A mashing Pai, not playing against her with delay is very easy to deal with. She's not exactly safe after finished strings. At best she gets a few 50/50 situations after some of them. The players you beat like that, don't know what they are doing or how to deal with her once she finishes a string. That is if you were literally mashing with her.

Probably got their rank from just playing the shit out of the game, it's not like you lose points when you lose.

Points don't matter as far as rank is concerned. What matters is that bar at the bottom of the screen on your side. From 10th Kyu to 10th Dan, win or lose, the bar will go up. Once you reach Hunter which is after 10th Dan, when you lose a ranked match, your bar depletes. You cannot be demoted from a Hunter back to a 10th Dan but the next rank up is Raider. If you lose too many times and your rank bar get depleted, welcome back to Hunter. You can easily get demoted in this game for losing too many times. Also, once you get to that rank, you'll need to be playing people at least 2 ranks below or above to get anywhere. Can't rank up in this game by playing lower ranked people like you can in DOA since the ranking in DOA is based on points.

Allan Paris

Points don't matter as far as rank is concerned. What matters is that bar at the bottom of the screen on your side.

I really don't care for points at all. Though I would like to know why they are there if they don't matter, for informational reasons. What do they contribute to, why isn't the ranking based off of the promoting bar alone, since the points mean nothing?

You cannot be demoted from a Hunter back to a 10th Dan but the next rank up is Raider. If you lose too many times and your rank bar get depleted, welcome back to Hunter. You can easily get demoted in this game for losing too many times.

Ok, so what is losing too many times, 1 match, 2, 15? By me quoting Mike when he said, "Seriously I beat a bunch of "Barbarians" and stuff like that in Ranked just mashing with Pai. It's ridiculous." My main point was that, those guys were probably bums; I come across high ranks that are like that, often. So because you don't get demoted every time you lose a match, and it takes a collective of matches before that happens. Then theoretically let's say, if one was to smash 18 players out of 30 everyday for 2 months. Then that person wouldn't get demoted and if anything they would slowly rank up, no? Then you add in the factor of them losing/winning to people at least 2 ranks above or below them, because that's how their going to get somewhere. Now you begin to have false prophets in your ranking system.

If I am wrong with any of that, please correct me.

Can't rank up in this game by playing lower ranked people like you can in DOA since the ranking in DOA is based on points.

I know this.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD